Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single
Do you think that what you describe is a process or an instantaneous event?...

I am much more inclined to think of life as a process. I reject both the Buddhist idea of "sudden" Enlightenment as well as the Christian idea of "sudden" conversion. I feel like life is more complex than that and my learning curve is never complete. I think I (and many others) have had "ah-ha" moments of quiet realization or revelation but these discrete events are only pieces of the puzzle and never does one define me more fully than any other. Never has one defined me completely. I am rather defined by the sum of all these "ah-ha" moments in a constantly evolving process. Is that so bad?

I wouldn't say instantaneous event so much as permanent status. That is, Jesus seems to say that God's acceptance of us is permanent, even when we reject him and go to the far-off country (from the Prodigal son). Or think of Israel, who God disciplined but didn't reject. This is Paul's justification.

There is, as I'm sure you know, disagreement among Christians to what extent our own will is involved in this. I tend to be a Calvinist, but even if you're not, and think that justification depends upon our decision, most of us think that this is not a decision that is easily reversed. It's not a status and comes and goes as we sin. It's really only rejected by something like apostasy.

But on top of that basis of God's commitment to us, Christ's death for us, and God's acceptance, our lives as Christians develop over time. Salvation in the Reformed view includes this whole process. God's purpose in salvation is not just to forgive us, but to regenerate us and rebuild our lives. My reading of Rom 3:25 is that before Jesus God had forgiven sin, but in Christ he is committed to dealing with it fully. Dying with him to sin and being raised to new life thus should be read in two ways. Death and Jesus' resurrection are one-time events. We are now dead to sin and alive with new life. But still, like Jesus' seed growing secretly and his kingdom which is both present invisibly among us now and will break out publicly in the future, our new life takes time to develop.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
How does the resurrection effect my life?

If I believe in the resurrection tomorrow, how will my life be changed in any practical way?

Perhaps it is true that my "sins will be forgiven" in some abstract sense, but if that abstraction has no manifestation in my experience then how does it hold any value?

What is the value of an abstract belief that does not manifest itself in how you live, think or process information?
If your life hasn't dramatically changed then you are missing a key element to what you believe Christianity to be...

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The resurrection (if it did occur) only affects your life to the degree you let it. I do not let the resurrection affect my life at all.

If you change your belief from thinking the resurrection didn't occur to thinking the resurrection occurred, it will change your life only to the degree you let it.

Sins are forgiven only by those who know you've committed sins. If you never tell anyone that you have committed sins, then the only person who can forgive your sins is yourself.

None of what you've written here is biblical and is therefore not Christian. Insofar as this is the case, you should not be posting here except as an inquirer.

Selah.

Upvote 0

Nails74

Jan 13, 2012
✟15,563.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Originally Posted by Nails74
Simply believing in the resurrection will not change your life.

This has been the most intriguing response so far. What do you mean exactly?
You make it sound as though the resurrection is simply a rabbit's foot that you can carry in your pocket for good luck. Your belief is not what changes your life. God is the one that can change your life.

Can the Cushite change his skin, or a leopard his spots? If so, you might be able to do what is good, you who are instructed in evil. [Jeremiah 13:23]

I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit within you; I will remove your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. [Ezekiel 36:26]

Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; old things have passed away, and look, new things have come. [2 Corinthians 5:17]

Upvote 0

aiki

Feb 16, 2007
Winnipeg
✟236,538.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I'm merely stating what I believe to be true.

Yes, I understand.

If you have a governing document which shows what I believe is not true, I'd be interested in seeing it.

For the Christian, the Bible is the "governing document." If you would like to see how much in contradiction your comments are to the Bible, I would be happy to show you. Please PM me, if you want to discuss this further.

Selah.

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟801,187.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
How does the resurrection effect my life?

If I believe in the resurrection tomorrow, how will my life be changed in any practical way?

Perhaps it is true that my "sins will be forgiven" in some abstract sense, but if that abstraction has no manifestation in my experience then how does it hold any value?

What is the value of an abstract belief that does not manifest itself in how you live, think or process information?
I really think that most of the first century Pharisees in Jerusalem believed in the resurrection, especially if they were part of the temple leadership. It really might not be “believed” but had knowledge of the reality.

They and others can still go on fighting God, which knowledge does not mean they will surrender.

Like the prodigal son you have to come to your senses and weigh your options. Giving up on your life as it is and humbly accepting Charity is very hard for proud humans even if it is a false pride.

Upvote 0

Nails74

Jan 13, 2012
✟15,563.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The Bible is not meant to depict historical events. It's meant to be an illustration (often done through the personification or humanization of non-human things) of various things which don't directly pertain to the physical world such as love, feelings, hatred, sadness, sorrow, joy, jealousy, etc. Many of the biblical stories which neophyte Christians or seekers often question are likely fictional accounts meant to illustrate the moral character of man.
As your conclusion is the same as your other post, I will simply repeat Paul...

Now if Christ is proclaimed as raised from the dead, how can some of you say, “ There is no resurrection of the dead ”? But if there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ has not been raised; and if Christ has not been raised, then our proclamation is without foundation, and so is your faith. In addition, we are found to be false witnesses about God, because we have testified about God that He raised up Christ —whom He did not raise up if in fact the dead are not raised. For if the dead are not raised, Christ has not been raised. And if Christ has not been raised, your faith is worthless; you are still in your sins. [1 Corinthians 15:12-17]

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jpcedotal

Old School from the Backwoods - Christian Style
May 26, 2009
In between Deliverance and Brother, Where Art Thou
✟13,293.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
The Resurrection is THE core Christian belief.

If ANYONE states that he/she is a Christian but does not believe in the Resurrection...at best they are confused and lost...at worst, they are a liar and lost....either way this person has not been saved by the blood of Christ.

Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
A society that has figured out how to live in harmony, without oppressing each other and figured out a way around the whole dying issue.

Nothing prevents or inhibits a non believer from working towards the kingdom. Ironically, it’s actually one of the common reasons people reject Christianity, because they see religion as being divisive in our society and if we didn’t have it then that help unify humanity and bring about the same kingdom the religion they are rejecting is trying to bring about by unifying humanity around Christ.

Once again, I then return to the question of why the Resurrection is necessary?

If we can all, as humanity, strive towards this common ideal then what is the use in believing in the Resurrection? I know many people that are striving to be like Jesus (knowingly or unknowingly) in an irreligious context. Are they not helping the cause that you speak of?

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
why the Resurrection is necessary?

My .02 has no choice but to start here:

"word is nigh thee, [even] in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach; (Romans 10:9) That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness"

Now couple this with "without Faith it is impossible to please God." If I were to interject anything at all, it would be humility to recognize Jesus within our own midst. And yet, of course this is very much a reflection of (and summary) how G-d reveals Himself to me, personally. I see this distinction throughout the Word, with Proverbs serving as a good foundation.

Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I don't think they are - at least some of them, anyway. This is most evident in circumstances that are painful, or tragic, or frightening. THe mature Christians I've seen walking through such circumstances with God do so with a stability, peace, and even joy, that dumbfounds onlookers.

I don't think there is a strong correlation between either. I have seen both Christians and non-Christians react negatively to painful circumstances. I have also seen Christians and non-Christians equally handle painful or tragic circumstances with poise and peace.

I went traveling to Cambodia and Laos this summer and one thing that struck me was the general lack of fear over death. They are surprisingly calm about death while here in the "Christendom" of the West we obsess about youth and avoid death at all costs.

A great book I suggest you read is called The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying by Sogyal Rinpoche. It is a fascinating look into another culture's views on tragedy, death and dying.

I would also suggest you be wary of confirmation bias when you only notice the Christians that are handling tragic situations with peace and calm because it confirms your hypothesis while neglecting to notice those Christians which handle such situations with fear and panic.

Fellowship with God is a unique thing. It can be described in terms of other things, but in the end these only approximate what fellowship with Him is like. Fellowship with God is a joyful experience; it is marked by peace, and contentment, and love for God; it is characterized by a sense of fulfillment, and gratefulness, and a profound awareness of one's dependence upon God; it is a communion that provokes one toward greater and greater holiness.

What about Buddhists, Hindus, Muslims and atheists which feel similar things by other means? I know a few atheists that respond quite spiritually to music and poetry and it empowers them to do good and love their neighbour more fully. If the ends are equal regardless of belief then what of the means? In other words, does the means justify the end?

I'm not sure what you mean by "abstract belief in the risen Christ." My belief in his resurrection is quite concrete unlike, say, my belief in honor or beauty. As far as I'm concerned, Christ's resurrection is a historical fact, not a vague idea.

Fellowship with God is predicated upon one's belief in the risen Christ. If Christ is not raised I am yet in my sins and thus cut off from fellowship with my perfectly holy Maker. Paul explains this in the chapter from 1 Corinthians I mentioned in my last post.

How does being "cut off from fellowship" manifest itself? What can you point to that is concrete with which you can say, "That person is cut off from fellowship."?

Many non-Christians feel fulfilled. Many non-Christians are happy. Many non-Christians do biblically-derived good. Many non-Christians have experiences which they label as God.

Many Christians feel unfulfilled. Many Christians are unhappy. Many Christians do not do biblically-derived good. Many Christians have experiences which they label as God.

This is what I mean by abstract. Its a "mean", but it doesn't correlate with any unique "end". For something to be concrete it should be able to be identified specifically.

If you say there is a causative relationship between the abstract idea "fellowship with God" and some unique manifestation, then I do not see it. I don't see the causative relationship and I do not see the unique manifestation.

I believe the Bible when it tells me that no one can truly know or fellowship with God apart from the mediatorial work of Christ.

1 Timothy 2:5-6
5 For there is one God and one Mediator between God and men, the Man Christ Jesus,
6 who gave Himself a ransom for all, to be testified in due time,

Does this verse imply that recognition or belief is required on the part of us in order for this to be true? Can a Buddhist have an experience which is objectively defined as "God" and yet label it as something else while the truth of this verse remains? In other words, can a Buddhist commune with God via Jesus Christ without recognizing he is doing so?

John 14:6
6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

The same reasoning here applies as above.

THe strength of what I feel is not the litmus test of the reality of my faith. I believe as I do because I believe the Bible tells me the truth, not because I have some powerful sensations about it. People of other faiths have powerful emotional and sensory experiences, too. If strength of feeling was what decided the truth of a thing, we'd all be in terrible trouble!

Ah! Here we go! So you don't define your faith based off experience, right? But isn't everything about you experiential? Even reading the Bible is a conscious experience which must be processed and interpreted by your mind. Your whole existence is founded purely on experience.

So you may have strong experiences with regard to the Bible, but this is still in itself an experience. So I guess we are in terrible trouble! ;)

It's much the same sensation or experience as being told by someone that they love you, or they think you're smart, or attractive, or a good athlete, etc.

"My sins are forgiven" is a statement that is grounded in reality by the Ultimate Source of Reality from which it comes: God Himself. I believe the Bible is the Word of God and so, when God tells me in Scripture that my confession of my sin to Him results in His forgiveness of that sin, I am confident that it is so

I appreciate this statement of faith. I can and do understand the spiritual truth of forgiveness of sin. In the spiritual sense this is reasonable. I just don't see how it manifests itself in a unique, causative way. Keep in mind that I don't think that this necessarily undermines the value of it. :)

Upvote 0

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
If your life hasn't dramatically changed then you are missing a key element to what you believe Christianity to be...

What dramatic changes should occur?

In my opinion "dramatic conversions" aren't for everyone. Many people's faith develop over time and they end up being unable to pin point exactly "when" it all happened.

My life has changed considerably in the last 3 years. 3 years ago I didn't even believe sin existed, I didn't own a Bible, I hadn't gone to church in about 10 years, my concept of God was fairly vague and I rarely thought about my overall purpose and meaning in life.

But it happened over 3 years so I'm unable to point to exactly "when" it occurred.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

leftrightleftrightleft

Jul 14, 2009
Canada
✟22,986.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
The Resurrection is THE core Christian belief.

If ANYONE states that he/she is a Christian but does not believe in the Resurrection...at best they are confused and lost...at worst, they are a liar and lost....either way this person has not been saved by the blood of Christ.

Does the Resurrection have to be taken as a literal, historical event? Can it not be taken as some sort of spiritual, metaphorical event which occurred which the disciples attempted to convey using limited language and finite minds?

Because I believe in much of the Bible but I don't "believe" in it the same way most Christians do. I'm not too concerned with the historicity of it. I'm more concerned with what it means spiritually, what people can take away from it, what and why people chose to describe it in the ways that they did and what kind of impact it has on people. I approach it the same way I approach poetry because I ultimately believe that that is where the inspired truth is to be found.

I often describe myself as a Christian but I've got the magnifying glass over-top as my icon because I sometimes feel that my views are so "philosophical" and "post-modern" that the label "Christian" does not adequately apply.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Does the Resurrection have to be taken as a literal, historical event? Can it not be taken as some sort of spiritual, metaphorical event which occurred which the disciples attempted to convey using limited language and finite minds?

This is the Baha'i belief, or re-interpretation of it. Christianity itself is quite solid on this:

1 Cor 15:17 And if Christ be not raised, your faith [is] vain; ye are yet in your sins.

I'm more concerned with what it means spiritually, what people can take away from it, what and why people chose to describe it in the ways that they did and what kind of impact it has on people. I approach it the same way I approach poetry because I ultimately believe that that is where the inspired truth is to be found.

I often describe myself as a Christian but I've got the magnifying glass over-top as my icon because I sometimes feel that my views are so "philosophical" and "post-modern" that the label "Christian" does not adequately apply.

This is all good. Recognize that Jesus always taught Spiritual Truth based on natural reality; He never separated the 2. This is the essence of Holiness: "whole." This is why I say Christianity isn't dualist, (although some people use that word in other ways in which it clearly is)

Also, the way the forum works your icon is used to designate a Christian, who hasn't found a home Church. I think this describes you well, and lines up with what you posted here.

Upvote 0

ElijahW

Jan 8, 2011
✟8,675.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship

If we can all, as humanity, strive towards this common ideal then what is the use in believing in the Resurrection? I know many people that are striving to be like Jesus (knowingly or unknowingly) in an irreligious context. Are they not helping the cause that you speak of?
Belief in the resurrection isn’t necessary to work towards the Kingdom, but it is considered inevitable once the Kingdom is established. You don’t have to believe in the resurrection, or Jesus as the Christ, to do the work to bring about his return. People are sheeple and imitate those around them without understanding the behavior, so you can get people who are imitating Jesus without knowing what the goal is; they are just sheep imitating the sheep/people around them. It is helpful though for the goal of bringing about the resurrection of the dead to be clearly defined and believed, instead of a bunch of people imitating those who came before them trying to establish that kingdom.

Upvote 0

Nails74

Jan 13, 2012
✟15,563.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

This is the heart of the issue.

The Chrisian faith is not a cause or an ideal.

Let us back up one step. Leftrightleftrightleft, why was the death of Jesus necessary?

Upvote 0

hedrick

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Feb 8, 2009
New Jersey
✟1,148,308.00
Faith
Presbyterian
Marital Status
Single

Non-Christians can work towards many of Jesus' ideals. That doesn't make them Christians. Christianity is not just about how we live, though that is certainly much of what Jesus talked about, and it's an essential part of Christianity. In addition, Christianity is about a particular method God set up to help us. That is the death and resurrection of Jesus. Paul says that we participate in this death and resurrection through a spiritual union with Christ, and experience a spiritual power which is referred to as new life.

I'm not talking about going to hell. Exactly where that line is drawn has been treated in other threads. Rather, I'm talking about taking advantage of everything Christ did for you. And also about the definition of the word Christian. Since the earliest confessions of Christianity seem to be "Jesus is risen," I'd think someone who doesn't accept some form of resurrection is not fully Christian.

Upvote 0