Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
The one in your example.
Okay, the way you said it was odd.

I already answered your question in post #353. God wants Israel to care for ourselves like a family, taking responsibility for each other. Consider that if a child is consistently truant from school, the Law places a hefty fine on the parents, and the lack of that money effects the whole family. In my analogy, God would be the law, Joshua would be the parents, the truant child is Achan, and Israel is the family. The Law expects the parents to make sure the child is in school, and to discipline the child themselves if he is truant. In the same way, God expects the children of Israel to be responsible for each other. He expected Joshua to take charge and find the guilty man and punish him.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
But what about the children of Israel who had no idea about Achan's sin (that would be the vast majority of them I suppose)?
That's right. Many Israelites died in battle that day because God held Israel responsible for Achan's sin. I think you need to think about my answer a good long time. In our Western (especially American) obsession with individuality this is kind of a culture shock.

Upvote 0

Achilles6129

Veteran
Feb 19, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
✟29,682.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
That's right. Many Israelites died in battle that day because God held Israel responsible for Achan's sin. I think you need to think about my answer a good long time. In our Western (especially American) obsession with individuality this is kind of a culture shock.
You didn't answer. You gave an analogy consisting of parents being fined by the authorities, which is hardly comparable to the dealings of an omnipotent omniscient being.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
You didn't answer. You gave an analogy consisting of parents being fined by the authorities, which is hardly comparable to the dealings of an omnipotent omniscient being.
Analogies is the best we can do. The point of the analogy was that the whole family suffered for the truant child's sin, just as all of Israel suffered for Achan's sin. But I agree it is a difficult topic, especially for our Western culture. God is transcendent and infinite -- utterly beyond our comprehension. We're lucky we understand him as well as we do.

Upvote 0

miknik5

"Let not your heart be troubled"
Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Analogies is the best we can do. The point of the analogy was that the whole family suffered for the truant child's sin, just as all of Israel suffered for Achan's sin. But I agree it is a difficult topic, especially for our Western culture. God is transcendent and infinite -- utterly beyond our comprehension. We're lucky we understand him as well as we do.
No longer will they quote THAT PROVERB...the father has eaten sour grapes and the children's teeth are set on edge...

Correct?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't understand the question.
To whom does this messianic age apply to? God's Word that no longer will they quote this proverb, after stating that HE would make a New Covenant with His People, who does these words apply to?

Upvote 0

Reborn1977

Devoted to Jesus - Less of me MORE of HIM
Site Supporter
Aug 20, 2012
Visit site
✟59,283.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Job suffered because he was a righteous man and God knew he could endure it yet remain faithful.

Satan wanted to test one God's people, and God Himself pointed out Job to Satan. God ALLOWED, "allowed" not caused or did or punished, allowed Job to be tested and attacked by Satan to the point of but excluding death because God knew Job would come out the other side a better man, even more faithful to God, walking in even more righteousness.

Job 1:8 (NKJV)
"Then the Lord said to Satan, “Have you considered My servant Job, that there is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, one who fears God and shuns evil?”"

Reactions: miknik5
Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
To whom does this messianic age apply to? God's Word that no longer will they quote this proverb, after stating that HE would make a New Covenant with His People, who does these words apply to?
The messianic age happens to all the earth, and the verse I quoted applies to Israel.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The messianic age happens to all the earth, and the verse I quoted applies to Israel.
The messianic age happens to all the earth?

I don't understand what that means

Not all who say they are of Israel are of ISRAEL

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
The messianic age happens to all the earth?

I don't understand what that means
Yes, the messianic age happens over all the earth. Where do you think it happens? Detroit? What is so hard to understand about "the earth"?

Upvote 0

miknik5

Jun 9, 2016
USA
✟101,414.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
To whom does this messianic sge apply to?

Yes, the messianic age happens over all the earth. Where do you think it happens? Detroit? What is so hard to understand about "the earth"?
I asked who it applies to.

Not where.

Upvote 0

Open Heart

Aug 3, 2014
Southern California
✟49,214.00
Country
United States
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Celibate
To whom does this messianic sge apply to?

I asked who it applies to.

Not where.
I don't think I understand your question. The messianic age is an AGE. It is a period of time on the earth. Therefore it applies to everyone living on earth during that period of time.

Upvote 0

throughfiierytrial

Truth-Lover
Site Supporter
Apr 7, 2014
✟522,714.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I don't think I understand your question. The messianic age is an AGE. It is a period of time on the earth. Therefore it applies to everyone living on earth during that period of time.

Where is your Scriptural support for there being a "messianic age"?

Upvote 0