1. Saying Goodbye to a Great Staffer: Edial
    Please help me wish Edial a wonderful blessed journey as he steps down from CF staff.
    His footprint on our ministry will always remain but his presence will be greatly missed. I'm sure he will come around as a member to all his favorite forums but for now please join me at his profile page to wish him many thanks for the years of service he has brought to us all.
    All of us on CF staff will miss him dearly!!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The REAL shame of creationism: its fradulent spokemen

Discussion in 'Creation & Evolution' started by Washington, Dec 26, 2007.

1. Nathan Poe

Nathan Poe New Member

Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Agnostic
    No, because AV doesn't understand it.

2. EnemyPartyII

EnemyPartyII New Member

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Catholic
    I don't have a problem with creationists saying things that are, effectively, philosophies, or putting forward untestable hypothesise that are not based on any empirical evidence. No problem at all.

The problem I have is when they do precisely this, and then CLAIM that it IS science, and further more, science that is superior to the empirical observation type science that gives us pharmaceuticals and nuclear power and agrarian revolutions and so on.

TheManeki likes this.
  3. Tonks

Tonks No longer here Supporter

Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Eastern-Orthodox
    That was my point EPII...you just articulated it somewhat better.

4. EnemyPartyII

EnemyPartyII New Member

Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Catholic
    well always nice to know someone agrees with me... because my forehead has a nasty callous from constant bashing against the creationist wall

5. Baggins

Baggins Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    UK-Labour
    Faith:
    Humanist

AV the earth is warming, that is unvarnished truth however much you don't want to believe it.

You don't hold science to a higher standard than anyone, you don't use science you scarcely understand what it is and how it works.

What you do hold to is a belief that your own personal interpretation of the bible is more correct than reality, that is just sad.

6. AV1611VET

AV1611VET Galatians 3:26 Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Baptist
    Who gave you that reality that you use to claim He doesn't exist, Baggins?

7. Elduran

Elduran Disruptive influence

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Atheist
    His parents. Has no-one told you where people come from yet?

8. AV1611VET

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Baptist
    :scratch: Huh???

9. peter22

peter22 Senior Member

Faith:
    Buddhist
    Global warming is rubbish is it? Why would anyone expect you to believe established blatantly obvious fact? I mean you *are* a creationist.

10. InTheCloud

InTheCloud Veteran

Marital Status:
    Single
    Politics:
    US-Libertarian
    Faith:
    Agnostic
    Of course one could arge that global warming is a fact but their manmade origing are not, but that would be a thread highjacking and I do not like to play that games.

11. Naraoia

Naraoia Apprentice Biologist

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Atheist
    If God gave us reality then perhaps you ought to respect it just a wee bit more :p

thaumaturgy and TheManeki like this.
  12. Baggins

Baggins Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    UK-Labour
    Faith:
    Humanist
    No one, that is my personal belief.

Just as your belief that god does exist and created reality is your personal belief.

My belief conforms to reality rather better than yours though because you believe that a book written by Bronze age nomads trumps your senses, and I believe that my senses and the findings of modern science trump the musings of bronze age goat herders.

13. TemperateSeaIsland

TemperateSeaIsland Mae hen wlad fy nhadau yn annwyl i mi

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Atheist
    To be perfectly honest the bible was written by priests. If it had been written by goat herders it probably would have been more accurate as they probably knew that grasshoppers/locusts had more than 4 legs and rabbits didn't chew the cud. The priests were to busy chowing down on the burnt offerings to know much about the natural world.

14. AV1611VET

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Baptist
    These "Bronze age nomads and goat herders" as you call them were the world's elite intellectuals. It is said that within a short period of the Babylonian Captivity, they were teaching Babylonian history and customs to the Babylonians in their Babylonian universities.
    Their military stratagems were second to none. By making their farm tools out of brass, instead of bronze, they could switch these instruments into military armament at a moment's notice; and although they weren't as fast as our Minutemen, it's because our Minutemen were able to keep their armament apart from their farm implements. Thus, while appearing to be a pastoral, sheepish nation, and seemingly having "Invade Me" written on every city's signpost, they were the world's true shock-and-awe artists --- and still are.

! JERUSALEM !

15. AV1611VET

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Baptist
    To be perfectly honest, the Bible was written by God. It is "scientists" today who don't know about four-legged locusts and hares that chewed their cud; not to mention satyrs, unicorns, behemoths, leviathans, and fowled bats.

What does Gracchus call that? Projection?

You guys don't know it, so you think they didn't know it, either.

16. thaumaturgy

thaumaturgy New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Atheist
    Not to burst your bubble, but I will contend that YOU don't know about cud chewing hares, 4-legged insects, unicorns, leviathans or behemoths either. YOU have just READ about them in a book that looks, for all intents and purposes like ANY OTHER myth book in the history of humanity.

The only difference is, YOU have started to believe that this myth book above all others is REAL because someone told you it was.

That is a subtle difference, and since subtlety and introspective analysis is something you aren't into, it looks TO YOU like some deep thinking and intense philosophical truth.

Appareances are everything in this game. That's why you like the appearance of flexible words like "embedded history" and "digital first editions of 17th century books".

You have to understand that words and concepts have technical meanings before you can ever move onto an adult appreciation of thought and philosophy.

Fundamentalism thrives only where thought is extinguished.

17. thaumaturgy

thaumaturgy New Member

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Atheist
    No, you just sanctify Ignorance. That may be your true idol of worship. Fundamentalists appear to worship willful ignorance. Otherwise you wouldn't have to tap dance so hard around "embedded history" to make your myths align with physical reality.

Maybe Fundamentalists should take holy "Ignorance" down from the altar of their worship and replace it with honest investigation and questions.

But that would require a lot more work and we all know how intellectually lazy Fundamentalists can be.

18. trivista

trivista Regular Member

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Christian
    Then why didn't they develop modern medicine and semiconductor technology?

19. Baggins

Baggins Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    UK-Labour
    Faith:
    Humanist
    Mains of Usan, Tayside :thumbsup:

20. Baggins

Baggins Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    UK-Labour
    Faith:
    Humanist
    ! Llanddeusant !

In Wales!!!!!

If their military strategems were second to none what were they doing in captivity Babylon anyway?

Seems to me they were a second rate bunch of goat herders that most other nations in the middle East have used as slaves at one period or another

TemperateSeaIsland likes this.