Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I found it already, a long time ago when I gave my heart to the Truth and not to the Master of Deception.

Isho is my Master and I love Him and He loves me.

So I'm immensely happy until I die.

So glad for you. Jesus is all our Master. We all truly Love Him.

Master of deception. Yes, the devil. He has a sneaky way of getting into peoples heads and taking them away from the true path laid down by Jesus when he instigated the 'true church' the 'CC'. A 2,000 yr old church. Built on solid foundations. Not on sand like those that sprout up amongst the weeds and rocky ground!

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Bread is Blessed & Broken Wine is Blessed & Poured
Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟608,915.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Catholic: The word is composed of two Greek words kata holos and it means 'according to the whole'. The Church used this term as a self descriptor from of old as a means of proclaiming the unity of those who followed in the way of Jesus, proclaiming the whole gospel to all people in all the world.

Many, and indeed I would hope all, denominations would see themselves as being part of the Church which is Catholic - that is the Church which serves One Lord and all people in all places and in all ages according to the whole faith of Jesus.

I may well lament some of the decisions taken by various Church leaders (including Benedict VIII) however I will continue to affirm the faith we have in common which includes one holy catholic and apostolic church.

Upvote 0

PeaceByJesus

Unworthy servant for the Worthy Lord + Savior
Feb 20, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟83,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
It would be impossible to cannibalize Jesus. His flesh is divine. Not human. The Greek word is anamnesis. The same word was used in how the Jews remember the Passover-by eating the lamb every year.
Anamnesis means remembrance, yet which does not determine what is being remembered as regards flesh, but are you denying that eating the Eucharist does involve eating human flesh (if in a different form)?

Are you arguing that if someone had (God forbid) physically eaten part of the Lord's actual incarnated body while He was living then they would not be eating human flesh, thus Christ was not fully God and fully man?

What physical evidence did John invoke that Jesus Christ came in the flesh in refuting Gnostic type heretics?

Ping JoeP222w

Upvote 0

Philip_B

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟608,915.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Anamnesis means remembrance, yet which does not determine what is being remembered as regards flesh, but are you denying that eating the Eucharist does involve eating human flesh (if in a different form)?

Are you arguing that if someone had (God forbid) physically eaten part of the Lord's actual incarnated body while He was living then they would not be eating human flesh, thus Christ was not fully God and fully man?

What physical evidence did John invoke that Jesus Christ came in the flesh in refuting Gnostic type heretics?

Ping JoeP222w
In fairness remembrance is a very lame translation of anamnesis. It is the term used to describe the events of the Passover supper which ended with the words tonight we have come out of Egypt. There is a real sense of calling the historic event into present reality.

• Agree
Reactions: Root of Jesse
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟608,915.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
What did he do?
Thanks for asking.

Benedict VIII was one of the later Tusculum Popes. He was opposed by antipope Gregory VI. During the early part of his Pontificate the Papal States were suffering attack in the South from the Saracen and intrusion in the North from the Normans.

Benedict VIII's restoration over Antipope Gregory VI was due to the assistance of Henry II (Germany) and on the 14th of February 1014 Henry II was crowned Holy Roman Emperor. This was the first time in history that the Filioque Clause was used in Rome. The decision to do this caused, predictably, great grief in the East, and set off a chain of events that led to the great schism in 1054.

I no longer say the filioque. However I will not allow that to stand in the way of the great amount that binds us together - One Lord, One Church, One Faith, One Baptism, On God and Father of us all, One Hope, One Mission, One Creed (nearly), and One Love.

Upvote 0

rturner76

Domine non-sum dignus
Site Supporter
May 10, 2011
Twin Cities
✟731,051.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Thanks for asking.

Benedict VIII was one of the later Tusculum Popes. He was opposed by antipope Gregory VI. During the early part of his Pontificate the Papal States were suffering attack in the South from the Saracen and intrusion in the North from the Normans.

Benedict VIII's restoration over Antipope Gregory VI was due to the assistance of Henry II (Germany) and on the 14th of February 1014 Henry II was crowned Holy Roman Emperor. This was the first time in history that the Filioque Clause was used in Rome. The decision to do this caused, predictably, great grief in the East, and set off a chain of events that led to the great schism in 1054.

I no longer say the filioque. However I will not allow that to stand in the way of the great amount that binds us together - One Lord, One Church, One Faith, One Baptism, On God and Father of us all, One Hope, One Mission, One Creed (nearly), and One Love.

This is a question for a different thread but just one more derail......What do you think it would take for The Church to give up the Filioque? I think giving up that and conceding 2-3 other issues along with scaling back the powers of the Pope a little bit so he is more like the chairman of the board rather than the President and CEO. Be on the lookout, I think I'm going to start a thread about that, though I;m sure it's been done before but I'd like to discuss it.

PEACE

Reactions: Goatee
Upvote 0

Philip_B

Site Supporter
Jul 12, 2016
Swansea, NSW, Australia
Visit site
✟608,915.00
Country
Australia
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
This is a question for a different thread but just one more derail......What do you think it would take for The Church to give up the Filioque? I think giving up that and conceding 2-3 other issues along with scaling back the powers of the Pope a little bit so he is more like the chairman of the board rather than the President and CEO. Be on the lookout, I think I'm going to start a thread about that, though I;m sure it's been done before but I'd like to discuss it.

PEACE
Sorry, no intent to derail, I was simply answering a question that was asked.

Upvote 0

PeaceByJesus

Unworthy servant for the Worthy Lord + Savior
Feb 20, 2013
USA
Visit site
✟83,561.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
In fairness remembrance is a very lame translation of anamnesis. It is the term used to describe the events of the Passover supper which ended with the words tonight we have come out of Egypt. There is a real sense of calling the historic event into present reality.
There is, though i was reacting to the inference that the use of the word means this as regarding sacrificial remembrance via transubstantiation, yet the word is used in Mark11:21 regarding "Peter calling to remembrance [αναμνησις/anamnēsis] the fig tree the Lord cursed, while i believe that in the deutros Wisdom 16:6 speaks of an “αναμνησις” of the Torah. Plato also is said to use it in a non-memorial way.

Last edited:
  • Useful
Reactions: Philip_B
Upvote 0

Goatee

Jesus, please forgive me, a sinner.
Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
I went to adoration and mass last night. You know, it was such a wonderful experience!!!

If any of the non-Catholics have never gone to 'Adoration' you must give it a try.

Ok, you may think the idea wrong but please, if you do get the chance, pop in to a church with Adoration going on. Give it a try.

For me, Jesus is there in my midst. Such a wonderful experience.

I am not posting this to upset any of the non-Catholics. Just asking you to visit if you get the chance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Root of Jesse

Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord
Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

Ping JoeP222w
Anamnesis means rememberance, for certain, but not just as in the sense of remembering someone's birthday. Anamnesis means to commemorate, and we do that by re-enacting what Jesus said and did. Eating the Eucharist does not involve eating human flesh. It does involve eating divine flesh.

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution

PEACE
Ping me when you do. I'd like to know what powers the Pope has that you think need scaling back? I will admit that Pope Francis has made statements that go beyond his authority, on subjects like climate change, but we aren't obliged to agree with him...

Upvote 0

dentonz

Feb 4, 2006
Virginia
✟23,788.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Anamnesis means rememberance, for certain, but not just as in the sense of remembering someone's birthday. Anamnesis means to commemorate, and we do that by re-enacting what Jesus said and did. Eating the Eucharist does not involve eating human flesh. It does involve eating divine flesh.

I would like to ask a question from a protestant's perspective; a question I don't think I've ever heard asked. When you partake of the Eucharist, do you truly taste blood and flesh, or do you taste wine and wafer?

To add: I'm not asking to try to argue a point, I just would like to honestly know the answer from Catholics.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
Ping me when you do. I'd like to know what powers the Pope has that you think need scaling back? I will admit that Pope Francis has made statements that go beyond his authority, on subjects like climate change, but we aren't obliged to agree with him...

Yes, he is human after all and has his own 'personal' views too.

Upvote 0

Raggedyman

The book of straw 2:26
May 14, 2016
Au
✟8,225.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Single
Protestants know the personal presence of Jesus, because they recognize Him as their personal Lord and Savior (a liturgical formula, by the way). But there is only one place where He is always completely present, and every Christian in the world knew it until the Protestant Reformation: in the Eucharist.
Christians worship Christ because He is God. Catholics worship the Eucharist because the Eucharist is Christ. Under the appearances of bread and wine, He is literally just as fully and truly and really and objectively present to the Catholic who adores Him there and who receives Him there in Holy Communion, as He was to His disciples in Palestine for three years. In fact, more so, until the Last Supper, when they too were privileged to eat His body and drink His blood and get Him inside themselves instead of just outside.

I think this is the most controversial of all the Catholic doctrines. It generated the most controversy and passion and war at the time of the Reformation. Read the history of the wars of the Reformation in primary sources and you will see this.

If Protestants are right, Catholics are the most ridiculous heretics and idolaters imaginable, worshipping bread and wine. Compared with the Eucharist, all the disputes about Church authority, Mary, Saints, Purgatory or Bible interpretation, or baptism, or predestination are almost trivial.

On the other hand, if Catholics are right, then Protestants are mission out on the most perfect, intimate, and complete union with their Lord that is possible in life. Christ is knocking at their door, and they're not opening it because they deny it is really He. They are like 1st-century Jews who rejected their God when He appeared to them in the flesh because they refused to believe that God would come in disguise; they didn't have the faith to see the invisible God in the visible human appearances. Hence, it is they who are the idolaters, being hung up on the physical, the creaturely.

I believe most other Catholic-Protestant issues have been negotiated and agreed on. Thoughts?

I was a Catholic then a Protestant
The communion means more to me symbolically than when I was a Catholic
Christ is a real man, not bread and wine, it's spiritual not physical, we have the Holy Spirit within, as promised all the time. Same God

No disrespect, your beliefs are important to me, just don't agree
Oddly I know Catholic Christians who are better than Protestant Christians

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Goatee

Aug 16, 2015
Under a Rock. Wales, UK
✟77,615.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Divorced
"Judas went out and hanged himself."

"Go, and do thou likewise."

Both accurately quoted from the Bible.

And those quotes are side by side? You have taken them way out of context!! Mine are within context my friend.

Upvote 0

bbbbbbb

Jun 9, 2015
✟366,353.00
Faith
Non-Denom
And those quotes are side by side? You have taken them way out of context!! Mine are within context my friend.

I beg to differ with you. Your first quote is entirely outside of any context of the Last Supper and was said years before the Last Supper was initiated. I do not have the capability at present of quoting all of John 6, but Jesus said this to His disciples when many left Him as a result of those words, "It is the Spirit Who gives life; the flesh profits nothing; the words that I have spoken to you are spirit and are life." (vs. 63)

Upvote 0

Root of Jesse

Site Supporter
Jun 23, 2011
Bay Area, California
Visit site
✟354,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
I would like to ask a question from a protestant's perspective; a question I don't think I've ever heard asked. When you partake of the Eucharist, do you truly taste blood and flesh, or do you taste wine and wafer?

To add: I'm not asking to try to argue a point, I just would like to honestly know the answer from Catholics.
It tastes like bread and wine. It's an act of faith to believe that it's really flesh and blood of Christ. There are many, many miracles where the bread and wine have changed into flesh and blood.

Upvote 0