The quiet place

DesertJoe

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
In the book of Job Chapter 31 verse 1 Job said this : “I have made a covenant with my eyes; how then could I gaze at a virgin?" Job was saying that he was CHOOSING to have eyes ONLY for his wife.
Guys, we can do this. If Jesus Christ is truly the 1st love of our life, we can truly "Only have eyes"... for Him 1st. If we are so intensely blessed to have been brought together with a truly Godly woman who likewise only has eyes for Jesus,we can then use these temporal eyes... for each other. I asked God to make this a reality in my life, because I truly love Mandi & I am not so presumptuous as to think my eyes cannot let in things that might distract my heart for her unless I purposed, as Job did, to only use the eyes of my heart for Jesus & for her. I love you Mandi, & this song is my pledge to you.

YouTube - ‪Art Garfunkel Quad Mix "I Only Have Eyes For You" 1975 HD Sound‬‏

Upvote 0

DesertJoe

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Isaiah 28:21) The LORD will rise up as he did at Mount Perazim, he will rouse himself as in the Valley of Gibeon--to do his work, his strange work, and perform his task, his alien task.
In the context of Isaiah 28, We see a proud nation (Ephraim,AKA Israel) that is facing coming judgment. Sound familiar? God calls His judgment a strange work & an alien task. When God has to judge, He does so with tears. Please if you haven't already done so, turn to Jesus today.

Upvote 0

DesertJoe

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
If you have not already done it, accept the ultimate friend request while there is still time, For it says this in 2nd Corinthians 2:6)
For he says, "In the time of my favor I heard you, and in the day of salvation I helped you." I tell you, now is the time of God's favor, now is the day of salvation.

Ultimate Friend Request | The Adventures of Kosher Joe

Upvote 0

DesertJoe

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Philippians 3:10 & 11
10)I want to know Christ and the power of his resurrection and the fellowship of sharing in his sufferings, becoming like him in his death,11) and so, somehow, to attain to the resurrection from the dead.

To know Him in the power of His resurrection is to know Him in the fellowship of the sharing of His sufferings. To become like Him in His death... what does that even mean?
Have you ever given your heart away unconditionally to another.... unilaterally?
Have you ever risked your heart for another, as truly as you know to be possible asking nothing in return? Have you ever done this knowing beforehand that ultimately that agapao, that unilateral choice to love, would ultimately be abandoned by the one it was intended for? Have you ever put your heart on the altar, knowing that ultimately that altar would become a cross?
Sometimes in life we are asked by God to do things that ultimately will result in great personal pain, and to an unknown end. Sometimes God asks us to give our lives away not in what the world would call glory, but what the world would see as ignominy & anonymity.
Know that whatever you may be going through, whatever pain you may have suffered for His glory, that this was meant for your good. Knowing Jesus means going through but the tiniest taste of that suffering & death. When you go through that pain, listen for the voice of Jesus saying "My love, this is what I did for you". God bless you.

Upvote 0

DesertJoe

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
On October 28th,1949, Jim Elliot wrote these words in his journal, and I quote "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain that which he cannot lose." On January 8th 1956, Jim was killed by the Huaorani ( also known as the Auca) natives in Peru,while on mission to bring the good news of Jesus Christ to them. The blood he and 4 of his fellow missionaries shed that day was not in vain, and in the ensuing years,many of the natives in this group came to Christ,including some of those responsible for the death of Jim and his fellow martyrs. Let us also be willing.... to let our blood be shed if that is what it takes... for His glory. If we do nothing else, let us die daily to self, let us esteem one another greater than ourself, and let us render our bodies living sacrifices, that the fire of God's glory might ascend as it did with the sacrifice offered by Abel.I leave you with this song. God bless you

YouTube - ‪Hillsong United - From the inside out (Everlasting)‬‏

Upvote 0

DesertJoe

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
A bumpy ride to Jesus
38“You have heard that it was said, ‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’g 39But I tell you, Do not resist an evil person. If someone strikes you on the right cheek, turn to him the other also. 40And if someone wants to sue you and take your tunic, let him have your cloak as well. 41If someone forces you to go one mile, go with him two miles. 42Give to the one who asks you, and do not turn away from the one who wants to borrow from you.

Love for Enemies

43“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Really sounds good doesn't it.I agree with you.It really sounds good.Do we really do this though? Do we really do this?More important on a personal level is do I do this?One thing I have found very helpful in this thing called walking with Jesus is introspection.A fancy word meaning looking inward.In 2nd Corinthians 13:5 it says:
Examine yourselves to see whether you are in the faith; test yourselves. Do you not realize that Christ Jesus is in you--unless, of course, you fail the test?
What does that mean?Looking inward.Holding every thought captive.What are the motivations of our hearts?When someone has wronged us,do we want our pound of flesh....& a lot more?Do we want to extract an eye for an eye...& perhaps the other eye to boot?Do we really turn the other cheek?If someone exacts a legal judgment against us,do we go beyond the judgment to make amends?When someone demands something of us,do we go beyond that demand to show the love of Jesus.When someone asks,do we give?Do we lend?
But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you
Wow.do we do that?I have never really thought of people as enemies.I have gotten angry,sure.But i never thought of people as enemies.Maybe this is a special grace that God has given me,but I wonder sometimes if I process things incorrectly.The only scripture I can give for my disposition on this is found in Ephesians 6:
12For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.
It so helps to have an eternal perspective.The people who wrong you are not the problem.The problem is the motivation they may have,& where that motivation comes from.
It says to love your enemy & pray for those who persecute you.That is a daunting task.In fact,that is an impossible task....without Jesus.I have had to do that this week.I have had to pray for someone who it seems has thought what I have desired to do for them...was somehow not enough or that I was not meeting their standard.In truth,what I offered was never asked for,but if it would never please,a simple no thank you would have been fine.I so care for that person,& still do.It seems that that is not being reciprocated,& either I am wrong in my perception or I am not.The important thing is that my heart for that person has never changed,& the prayers I have prayed for that person have never changed.I actually hear that this person has been blessed recently,& that does my heart good.Do not let hurt,whether perceived or actual hurt,change who you are in Christ.Love people.Unconditionally love people.Very hard to do.I am still learning,& will till the day I draw my last breath.I am not putting myself on a pedestal.I have written this with great fear,but Godly fear.I know that my motivations & my actions are really under scrutiny after writing this.The desire of my heart is for reconciliation toward those I have offended & those who may have offended me.I really don't keep records of wrong.It says in 1st Corinthians 13:4&5;
Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs.
Love keeps no record of wrongs.OUCH!!!! But that is what it says,& it is the word of God after all.

Life is way to short,& the potential of wasting time in feelings of anger or wanting revenge is too great a price to pay when the harvest is bountiful but the workers are few.This has been a very bumpy ride for me today.It makes me look at things I would rather ignore.You are my brothers & sisters in Christ though,& if I say I love you I can do no less.Look at that last verse.

48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect. Wow....what an impossible standard.To be like our Father in Heaven.To be found perfect...impossible...unless we are found perfect in Jesus.We need mercy to do this,& yes,we also need grace.I know this has not been a fun ride,but just remember 2 things.1) It was just as unpleasant a ride for me & 2) That walk to Golgotha...what must that have been like?God bless you,& I love you.

Upvote 0

DesertJoe

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
This message was something that I have had on my heart for many years.I never really sat down & put this into words before,but God said that this was the day to actually write this.If there is anything here that is of worth,give the glory to God,for the thoughts came from Him.Any roughness or inelegance or mistakes in it,well those I will take responsibility for.Since it was a sermon so to speak,it was originally written as an outline,so it may not have the style of something written for a reading audience.I was going to do more of a rewrite,but it was actually put on my heart to change just a few words & correct some misspelling & leave it at that.My hope is not that this will entertain,but that perhaps there will be those that it will speak to.God loves you in a way words cannot even approach,& I hope this will in some minor way help to convey that truth.Get ready for a ride on God's church bus.Jesus paid the fare already,so hop on board

Tonight we are going to talk about The story of the woman caught in adultery that is found in John chapter 8 starting in verse 2.The title of the message is God's church bus.I am not going to explain that now,& I am liable to forget it,so please remind me at the end of this message.We have so often heard this passage of scripture,but it is my hope tonight that we can see it in a little more depth,& perhaps even see a bit of God's perspective in this tonight.
At dawn he appeared again in the temple courts, where all the people gathered around him, and he sat down to teach them. The teachers of the law and the Pharisees brought in a woman caught in adultery. They made her stand before the group and said to Jesus, “Teacher, this woman was caught in the act of adultery. 5In the Law Moses commanded us to stone such women. Now what do you say?” They were using this question as a trap, in order to have a basis for accusing him.
Now at this point Jesus could have ended the foolishness of these religious types by asking the words,"Where is the man?" The law,as stated in Leviticus 20 verse 10 says
10“‘If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife—with the wife of his neighbor—both the adulterer and the adulteress must be put to death.
That would have ended it right there.This was probably a contrived thing,& the man was probably acting at the behest of the scribes & Pharisees.But even if this was not the case,the law had to be carried out as written.Jesus,however,does not think in terms of the legalities.Jesus had much bigger ideas in mind.Let's see what Jesus does next.Jesus goes on in verse 6:

But Jesus bent down and started to write on the ground with his finger.
What was Jesus writing?This issue that the Bible is silent about has been a source of debate for centuries.Some have said that Jesus was writing the 10 commandments on the ground for the crowd to see.Others have said that Jesus was writing names & dates & events that revealed the sins of those who were wanting to stone the woman .Still others have said,& I kind of like this one for it's sheer elegance, is that Jesus was writing the law of the lying witness,found in Deuteronomy19:16-19.It reads this way:
16If a malicious witness takes the stand to accuse a man of a crime, 17the two men involved in the dispute must stand in the presence of the LORD before the priests and the judges who are in office at the time. 18The judges must make a thorough investigation, and if the witness proves to be a liar, giving false testimony against his brother, 19then do to him as he intended to do to his brother. You must purge the evil from among you.
I like that,because there was certainly falsehood going on,& anyone testifying against the woman would be liable to stoning because of their false witness.This falseness could be established if there was anything left out of the story.The burden of truth was just like our oath in court today.The truth, The whole truth (nothing omitted),& nothing but the truth (no additions,spinning,or twisting of the facts) Next we see Jesus saying the words we all remember from this passage.We read on in verse 7.
7When they kept on questioning him, he straightened up and said to them, “If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone at her.”
How easy it is to throw stones.We probably do it without realizing it.We talk about how the neighbor doesn't keep his or her yard up without possibly realizing that they may need help with it.We talk about how flat the singing was at church,or that the pastor's sermon was uninspired or worse,how dare he speak about things in my life that are none of his business.We see people involved in things that are clearly against scripture,& we think "how dare they affront God & society this way,but we do not think about praying for them,& possibly bringing the gospel to them.I hope this has not offended you.It was not intended to.I was just kind of wondering out loud not if I do this,but how often do I do this without even realizing it.Let's see what Jesus does next.
8Again he stooped down and wrote on the ground.
Here we see Jesus writing on the ground again.I never really told you my thoughts about what He might have been writing there.I have always imagined Jesus writing down my sins there.Every one of them.Writing them in the sands of time,so that as the wind blew,they would be erased,forgotten forever.Maybe He wrote down all of your sins there also.So now we go back to our story.We all know what happens next,but let's read on.

9At this, those who heard began to go away one at a time, the older ones first, until only Jesus was left, with the woman still standing there. 10Jesus straightened up and asked her, “Woman, where are they? Has no one condemned you?”

11“No one, sir,” she said.

“Then neither do I condemn you,” Jesus declared. “Go now and leave your life of sin.”
How easy was it for Jesus to make this statement? How much did making this statement cost Jesus?Let Us look at the gospel of John chapter 19 verses 16b through 30.

So the soldiers took charge of Jesus. 17Carrying his own cross, he went out to the place of the Skull (which in Aramaic is called Golgotha). 18Here they crucified him, and with him two others—one on each side and Jesus in the middle.

19Pilate had a notice prepared and fastened to the cross. It read: JESUS OF NAZARETH, THE KING OF THE JEWS. 20Many of the Jews read this sign, for the place where Jesus was crucified was near the city, and the sign was written in Aramaic, Latin and Greek. 21The chief priests of the Jews protested to Pilate, “Do not write ‘The King of the Jews,’ but that this man claimed to be king of the Jews.”

22Pilate answered, “What I have written, I have written.”

23When the soldiers crucified Jesus, they took his clothes, dividing them into four shares, one for each of them, with the undergarment remaining. This garment was seamless, woven in one piece from top to bottom.

24“Let’s not tear it,” they said to one another. “Let’s decide by lot who will get it.”

This happened that the scripture might be fulfilled which said,

“They divided my garments among them
and cast lots for my clothing.”a
So this is what the soldiers did.

25Near the cross of Jesus stood his mother, his mother’s sister, Mary the wife of Clopas, and Mary Magdalene. 26When Jesus saw his mother there, and the disciple whom he loved standing nearby, he said to his mother, “Dear woman, here is your son,” 27and to the disciple, “Here is your mother.” From that time on, this disciple took her into his home.

The Death of Jesus

28Later, knowing that all was now completed, and so that the Scripture would be fulfilled, Jesus said, “I am thirsty.” 29A jar of wine vinegar was there, so they soaked a sponge in it, put the sponge on a stalk of the hyssop plant, and lifted it to Jesus’ lips. 30When he had received the drink, Jesus said, “It is finished.” With that, he bowed his head and gave up his spirit.
Was there something I said at the beginning of the message that maybe I have forgotten? Oh yes.The title.God's church bus.What is that all about?

So many of us in life have walked a very hard road.We have found condemnation among religious people.We have been confronted with God's 10 commandments & found that we come up so short.We have lived a life of sin & been battered & bruised in it.In this Gospel account we find a woman trapped probably by economic conditions into a life of sin.She does what she does because it seems to be the only way to pay the bills.She is set upon by a group of religious types who could literally care less whether she lives or dies,they only want to trap a Godly man who loves sinners.But what was God's perspective in this?What did God have in mind?The Pharisees & scribes thouht they were doing God a favor by getting rid of their own competition.They were in fact being used by God,but not in the way they thought.Jesus had an appoitment with this woman.She needed mercy & grace,& she never would have come to Jesus on her own.She was probably too ashamed,if she thought of it at all.Perhaps she did not even care up to this point.Perhaps all the care she had in life had been wrung out of her by the cruel circumstances of her life.God used these evil men to bring this needy woman to Jesus.They were in effect God's church bus.My question to you tonight is this.Are you on God's church bus? Are things very hard & you don't even know where life is taking you? Do you ask God why things are so difficult?Do you even care?This message may have absolutely nothing to do with you tonight.Perhaps you have known Jesus for many years.Perhaps you are in the perfect center of God's will for your life.What I absolutely do not want to do tonight is to cause guilt in anyone.My question to you tonight is this.Are you broken hearted?Are you far away from God?Do you even believe in the God of the old & the new testament?Has there been a time in your life when you came to Jesus & you gave Him your life,but that fire that was so awesome & so fresh & so alive is now just a dying ember?Maybe you have been involved in ministry,& you have given & given & given but have not taken time to be alone with God & let Him fill you back up,& you are running on spiritual fumes.God uses all kinds of circumstances to draw people to Him.You can call these circumstances "God's church bus" in your life.God loves you too much to let you go out into the desert without hope & without Jesus.If the circumstances in life are so very hard right now,don't give up hope.They may be God's church bus,& the next stop is Jesus. God bless you.

Upvote 0

DesertJoe

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
How deep an intellect does it take to know Jesus? Jesus said this to His followers when they were trying to prevent little children from coming to Him in Matthew 19:

13Then little children were brought to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked those who brought them.

14Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” 15When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there.

I remembered this from a few years back & found it again.It was from a man who loved God with all the intellect that God had given him.Probably the most profound thing he ever said is found in this story:
Karl Barth, a world-famous Swiss theologian, gave a last lecture across the United
States shortly before his death. A student in one of his seminars could not fully
understand Barth’s complex ideas and theology. So he asked him, “I know you have
written volumes and volumes of theology, but can you sum up your theology in a single
sentence?” Then the famous theologian answered, “Yes. Jesus loves me, this I know,
for the bible tells me so."

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DesertJoe

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
There are many in evangelical circles,particularly the Reform/Calvinists,that rely very heavily on intellect in there approach to belief,& as I stated about Barth,He loved God with all the intellect that he had.That is kind of a loaves & fish statement.God gives to all a measure of gifts & talents.To those who are without God,the gifts are only natural gifts.To those who are,as Jesus speaks of in John chapter 3 "born again" the gifts are both natural & spiritual.It is so amazing how often the intellect can seem to get in the way.In 1st Corinthians 27 it states this:
But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.

It is brought home when Jesus said to Nicodemus in Chapter 3 of John:

10“You are Israel’s teacher,” said Jesus, “and do you not understand these things? 11I tell you the truth, we speak of what we know, and we testify to what we have seen, but still you people do not accept our testimony. 12I have spoken to you of earthly things and you do not believe; how then will you believe if I speak of heavenly things? 13No one has ever gone into heaven except the one who came from heaven—the Son of Man.d 14Just as Moses lifted up the snake in the desert, so the Son of Man must be lifted up, 15that everyone who believes in him may have eternal life.

Notice what Jesus said to Nicodemus.
10“You are Israel’s teacher,” said Jesus, “and do you not understand these things?

Nicodemus was a member of the Sanhedrin,which was the Jewish ruling council,& as such had to be at the top of his game theologically,at least as far as men were concerned.Jesus in effect said "You call yourself a teacher & you do not even know the 1st step?" There is a terrific word study here that goes deeply into the Old Testament scriptures,but suffice it to say that Nicodemus should have known exactly what Jesus was speaking of.Jesus would not have held him accountable for it otherwise.
A 2nd case study is found in the next chapter of John's gospel,About the Samaritan woman at the well.Look at what Jesus says to her.

21Jesus declared, “Believe me, woman, a time is coming when you will worship the Father neither on this mountain nor in Jerusalem. 22You Samaritans worship what you do not know; we worship what we do know, for salvation is from the Jews. 23Yet a time is coming and has now come when the true worshipers will worship the Father in spirit and truth, for they are the kind of worshipers the Father seeks. 24God is spirit, and his worshipers must worship in spirit and in truth.”

Notice what Jesus said to her? About the Samaritans worshipping what they did not know?That actually speaks volumes,but we will stay with a ground level point.Jesus said to her that Her theology was all messed up,& contrasted to Nicodemus,she actually knew very little about the depth of God's word.But let's look at what happened with her.She actually knew all that she needed to know as a starting point.read what she says next.

25The woman said, “I know that Messiah” (called Christ) “is coming. When he comes, he will explain everything to us.”

26Then Jesus declared, “I who speak to you am he.”

She knew that Messiah was coming.That was the only truly valid thing she knew.Then Jesus did something that He rarely if ever did before this time or after this...going all the way to the cross...He actually told her that He is the Messiah.Jesus did not say that He is God or that He is Messiah because we are to arrive at that conclusion by faith.Jesus knew that this woman would believe,so He just came out & said it.Look at her response.

28Then, leaving her water jar, the woman went back to the town and said to the people, 29“Come, see a man who told me everything I ever did. Could this be the Christ?” 30They came out of the town and made their way toward him.

You see what she did?She left her water jar.The most important thing in her life at that moment had been drawing water.Water vessels were not cheap to the average person in that day.But she left it.It was of secondary importance.That translation "Could this be the Christ?" does not speak doubt.She was a woman,& a woman rejected by that community based on the time of day she was drawing water.She had to go tell about Jesus.She could not contain this living water that had just come into her soul.
Sadly,unlike Barth,intellect gets in the way with most people.Most people want to figure out God.Most people want God in a convenient box.Sadly,but truly,most people want a God they build with their own intellect,if not actually building an image of wood or clay or gold or steel.
There is evidence that Nicodemus finally got it,based on his actions in John chapter 19 verse 39.Isn't it sad that it took 16 chapters to penetrate the wall of knowledge built up in the heart & mind of Nicodemus,when the woman who knew nothing more than "Messiah is coming" got it in a matter of verses.You may laugh at this analogy,& that is okay.But while laughing,think about it.It says in Romans 10:17 that "Consequently, faith comes from hearing the message, and the message is heard through the word of Christ"
What I can tell you personally is that God found me when I was far from Him.I knew just enough of His word for Him to say to my heart
“I who speak to you am he.”
You may ask "Did you actually hear Jesus speak audibly?".It was not audibly.It was much louder than that.It was the presence of God Himself in my inmost being.
I am not waging war on intellect.I am only saying that it is the nature of man to use intellect to quantify God,&God is beyond our quantification.Look at what God said through Isaiah in Isaiah chapter 55:

8“For my thoughts are not your thoughts,
neither are your ways my ways,”
declares the LORD.
9“As the heavens are higher than the earth,
so are my ways higher than your ways
and my thoughts than your thoughts.

I will leave you with the story of the personal testimony of CS Lewis.
In 1929 C.S. Lewis found himself challenged with God’s existence. This important milestone in his conversion journey was reached rather suddenly. As he tells the story, on one occasion during this time he happened to take a bus ride. When he got on the bus he was an atheist. When he came to his stop, he got off the bus believing in God’s existence. Not that Lewis was seeking God. He said he didn’t really want to find him. The revelation about God’s existence was something of a fright to him. He wrote in Surprised by Joy: "Amiable agnostics will talk cheerfully about ‘man’s search for God.’ To me, as I then was, they might as well have talked about the mouse’s search for the cat."

But God was seeking C.S. Lewis and he found him. His call was coming and Lewis could find no place to hide. As Jonah running from the Lord, Lewis had been confronted with his own great "whale," so to speak. It was God beckoning to him. The reluctant prodigal finally knew it was time to come home. In Surprised by Joy, Lewis tells us about his feelings when he could no longer deny God’s existence to himself:

"You must picture me alone in that room in Magdalen, night after night, feeling, whenever my mind lifted even for a second from my work, the steady, unrelenting approach of Him whom I so earnestly desired not to meet. That which I greatly feared had at last come upon me. In the Trinity Term of 1929 I gave in, and admitted that God was God, and knelt and prayed: perhaps, that night, the most dejected and reluctant convert in all England.... But who can duly adore that Love which will open the high gates to a prodigal who is brought in kicking, struggling, resentful, and darting his eyes in every direction for a chance to escape."

When God drew Lewis’ heart to himself, he became conscious of the presence of his own sinfulness. "For the first time I examined myself with a seriously practical purpose," wrote Lewis. "And there I found what appalled me: a zoo of lusts, a bedlam of ambitions, a nursery of fears, a harem of fondled hatreds. My name is legion."

When Christ comes calling

Though Lewis was frightened by what he saw in himself, the Holy Spirit would open Lewis’ heart and mind to Christ’s forgiveness and love. It happened in September 1931 when Lewis was converted to the faith. He had engaged in a lengthy conversation about Christianity with J.R.R. Tolkien and Hugo Dyson that started with dinner on the 19th and continued into the early morning hours of the 20th. The discussion challenged Lewis’ thinking and set the stage for what happened two days later.

It was on Sept. 22, 1931 that Lewis said yes to the Lord’s offer of himself—yes, according to his testimony, this was the exact day he became a Christian. It happened on a ride to the Whipsnade Zoo with his brother, Warren. Lewis tells about it in his book, Surprised by Joy: "I know very well when, but hardly how, the final step was taken. I was driven to Whipsnade one sunny morning. When we set out I did not believe that Jesus Christ is the Son of God, and when we reached the zoo I did. Yet I had not exactly spent the journey in thought. Nor in great emotion.... It was more like when a man, after long sleep, still lying motionless in bed, becomes aware that he is now awake."

One recalls the experience of the apostle Paul, who was also on a road trip, in his case from Jerusalem to Damascus. When Paul started out for Damascus, he did not know the Lord. He, no doubt, as a rabbi, had an ardent belief in the God of Israel. But he had not yet been encountered by the living Christ. So when he started his journey he did not know Christ, when he arrived at his destination at Damascus, he was a converted disciple of the Lord (Acts 9:1-20).

Lewis, of course, was not struck down with blindness on the road to the zoo and didn’t hear the risen Christ audibly speaking to him. Nevertheless, the still quiet voice of Jesus had been dramatically impacting his mind and heart for some time, bringing him to the opportunity to utter the final yes.

In Surprised by Joy, Lewis described that final time before he put his faith in Christ as a period of free and enlightened choice: "The odd thing was that before God closed in on me, I was in fact offered what now appears a moment of wholly free choice.... I became aware that I was holding something at bay, or shutting something out.... I felt myself being, there and then, given a free choice. I could open the door or keep it shut; I could unbuckle the armor or keep it on. Neither choice was presented as a duty; no threat or promise was attached to either, though I knew that to open the door or to take off the corslet meant the incalculable."

On Christmas Day 1931, C.S. Lewis joined the Anglican Church and took communion. For the next three decades he devoted much of his time to writing and speaking about Christ and the Christian faith. He had truly become a disciple of Christ who makes disciples. After several months of ill health and intermittent recovery, Lewis died peacefully on Nov. 22, 1963—on the very day that U.S. President John F. Kennedy was assassinated.

God bless you.It is my sincere hope that if this has not occurred in your life,that you will just ask God to find you.He found me,& if He would stoop to me,He can bring that which is dead to life in anybody.Thank you for your time & your patience.I hope it helps you on the road you are on.

Upvote 0

DesertJoe

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
I wrote this story today, inspired by a story related by Ed Wallace on KLIF 570 on Saturday morning, on his backside of American history. I am dedicating it first to the glory of God, and also to a young lady severely injured in the line of combat duty while on mission to save life in the field of combat medicine.
No Longer Left To Die

For millennia one of the sad results of the tragedy of war was that when the wounded fell on the battlefield, they were left there to die what was often a slow and painful death, alone and uncared for.
Who knows that this would not still be the case, save for an unsung hero of the American civil war by the name of Major Jonathan Letterman. Major Letterman was given orders by General George McClellan as well as authorization to do whatever it took to improve the horrendous post battle situation that was causing thousands to die slowly and painfully, exacerbated by relatively modern innovations such as rifled firearms and the Minie ball, which produced wounds of an unprecedented scope and severity. Using innovations such as an ambulance corps, mobile field hospitals (in later decades to become MASH units), and intake systems that applied such principles as triage, to make sure that limited resources would be put to the most effective use, limiting the loss of life and limiting the number and severity of life long debilitating after effects. We have Major Letterman largely to thank for laying the systemic foundation for the battlefield medical techniques used not only by the United States military, but in militaries around the world.

This story brought to mind something that tragically I encounter on a daily basis. I hate to even bring this up, not only because the Bible says not to blow your own trumpet as it were, and not to let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, but for other very practical reasons. One of the ministries that God has me involved in (His choice), is encouraging people who have, as it were, been left on the battlefield to die. What do I mean by this? I by the grace of God have been given the mission of encouraging as much as possible people who God is using around the world. People who are truly being cared for by God on a day by day, moment by moment basis. These are people who have worked hard all their lives, have done all the “right” things, and yet when they were called out by God ( Jesus said in John 10:27 “My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.”), they were abandoned, despised, and judged, even by nominally Christian family members. Many of these people, some from the United States, some from other parts of the western world, are doing missionary work, independent of any church support, and it is clear to me that God does it that way so they are able to follow Him, and not some denominational edict.

Why did I write this today? There are several reasons. One of the reasons is this. To those of us who name the Name of our Lord Jesus Christ, are we abandoning those who are actually following the call of Jesus because they do not fit our paradigm? Rather than helping them, are we condemning them, even as the Pharisees condemned Jesus when He healed on the Sabbath?

Remember the story Jesus told of the Samaritan who was willing to tend the wounds of one who had fallen, even when the religious ones past him by? By the grace of God I ask today that our Father in Heaven would remove our blinders, and plow the hard fallow ground that there may be in our hearts, that we would not only help those in our families and our circles of friends and church members, but also those who we may see as “the least”, the ones Jesus spoke of in Matthew 25:40.

Finally, for those of you who are reading this today, and life seems to hold for you no hope, and you have never met, as it were, the One who came two thousand years ago to rescue you from this battlefield that we call “life”, that may have left you wounded and dying, let me tell you about the eternal battlefield physician. His Name is Jesus Christ, and He actually came to earth, becoming a man to conquer this battlefield of death, and actually as it were “take the bullet for us”. He came to die for us so that we could live with Him eternally. You today can exchange the death you may be trapped in by giving it to Him, and in turn He has promised to give you eternal life. As it is written in Romans 10:9,
If you declare with your mouth, “Jesus is Lord,” and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.

Please do not wait. Please do it today. You only have death to lose, and you have eternal life to gain. God bless you.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums