The quiet place

DesertJoe

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
God bless you.In Matthew 11:28 Jesus said these words ""Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest." The human heart was created by God with a longing to find peace & security in Him.One of the reasons Jesus likens us to sheep is that sheep cannot take care of him or her self.So many of those God used were shepherds,& I believe this is the reason God chose shepherds.As David so simply & profoundly stated it in Psalm 23 "The LORD is my Shepherd".As children of our God,we say with David "The LORD is our Shepherd".My prayer for this thread is that this will be a place of encouragement for His sheep.There are so many threads where we can argue & debate,& it is my hope that this will be as the title says "A quiet place"The words posted here will not be perfect,& sometimes amidst the typos & the bad structure & the misspellings it may be downright ugly :) The point here is not perfection or a theology that passes every test (whatever that might be).The purpose of this thread is to love one another & comfort one another & encourage one another with words.I was encouraged to start this by a dear friend and a brother in Christ,& he encouraged me to start it with a few of my posts.I am very nervous about that.I really want to love & comfort & encourage others as Jesus has done for me, but I never saw them as writings for more than an audience of 2 (God & the one who God wants to comfort).I am not so presumptuous as to believe that I am anybody's writer,& as a matter of fact if there is anything of worth here,it is from God,& all the mistakes & bad style & the rest,well that would be me.I know there are so many of you out there that also have a heart to love those who need love,because this desire comes from Jesus.I also know that there are many who have words in you that will bless us all & most importantly will glorify God. :)

Last edited:
Reactions: Ariellamb

DesertJoe

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
So many times life is beyond our control.We want to reach out to God,& all we can do is to try the things we have been told.Things that in the past were so fresh & so alive & so beautiful in our relationship seem to fade like a rose plucked from the vine.The interesting thing is that God wants it that way.Yes,so you will know that was not a typo,I will repeat what I wrote.God wants it that way.What worked in the past becomes ritual.We don't want it to.We want to worship God.Really we do.With all our hearts we do. Look at what happened in the days of King Hezekiah,in 2nd Kings 18:

1In the third year of Hoshea son of Elah king of Israel, Hezekiah son of Ahaz king of Judah began to reign. 2He was twenty-five years old when he became king, and he reigned in Jerusalem twenty-nine years. His mother’s name was Abijaha daughter of Zechariah. 3He did what was right in the eyes of the Lord, just as his father David had done. 4He removed the high places, smashed the sacred stones and cut down the Asherah poles. He broke into pieces the bronze snake Moses had made, for up to that time the Israelites had been burning incense to it. (It was called Nehushtan.)

That 2nd to the last sentence,what was all that about?What was the fuss over a bronze snake?It was just this.Centuries before,God had commanded Moses to make an image of a snake out of bronze & mount it on a stake & lift it up,so that whoever looked upon the snake would be saved from the plague of snakes that was going on around them.The Israelites took this snake image with them as a reminder of what God had done to save them,but over the centuries,this snake had become an idol to them.They worshiped the snake,& not the God who had saved them from the snakes.As venerated as that object was,Hezekiah being a good king (one of the few) had the snake smashed to pieces.This object that had been touched & fashioned by the hands of Moses was now smashed to pieces.Why? Because it had replaced God in the hearts of the people.They thought that by worshiping the snake,they were worshiping God.But God had told them in Exodus 20 not to have any images before Him.Did you know that "going to church" can be an idol?Did you know that all the wonderful things you have done in the past & continue to do can become an idol?One thing that scares me to death is that these things that I write,amateur though they may be,is something I do because I really want to bless people.These things I write can become an idol in my life.Jesus said "without Me,you can do nothing" & that is true.None of what any of us do for the kingdom & the glory of God amounts to a hill of beans if Jesus does not do them through us.God wants our hearts.He wants us to rest in Him.One good illustration about getting the horse in front of the cart is found in psalm 51.These are the words of David when he was repenting over his sin.I am not saying that you are necessarily in sin as David was.Maybe you are so busy that without intending to,you started giving God the leftovers of your time when all the time you only wanted to serve Him with what you do.Let's see how David understood getting the horse in front of the cart.

10Create in me a pure heart, O God,

and renew a steadfast spirit within me.

11Do not cast me from your presence

or take your Holy Spirit from me.

12Restore to me the joy of your salvation

and grant me a willing spirit, to sustain me.

13Then I will teach transgressors your ways,

and sinners will turn back to you.

God will not take His spirit away today,but it sure can feel like it.He wants to make us like Jesus.He loves you & me so much that He is far more interested in what He is doing in us than what He might do through us.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DesertJoe

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
“Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest.Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.For my yoke is easy and my burden is light.”

Matthew 11:28-30.We hear that all the time.Pastors tell us that it means that we are to lay down our burden of sin,but was that all Jesus was saying?How do we lay hold of passages like this,in a world that is so busy?When we read passages like "Be still and know that I am God" (the 1st part of Psalm 46:10),How do we lay hold of that in a world where the tyranny of economic necessity,& the responsibilities of love seem to take up 25 hours a day?We are told by preachers "have your quiet time.Read your Bible.I do not disagree with that.But sometimes others can tell us what to do,& even though what they say is valid,They cannot tell you how.Sometimes it may feel like being in a 747 Jumbo jet after some tragedy has befallen the flight crew & you have been chosen to fly the plane,though you have no experience.The guy on the ground is talking to you on the radio,& says"It's really so easy.All you have to do is land the plane".There used to be a bumper sticker years ago.It said "God is my co-pilot".I saw that,& I thought like probably millions of others how good that sounded.The problem was later explained to me (yeah...I am that slow) God never asked to be co-pilot.He knows in the wisdom that only a creator can have that He "needs to take the wheel".Fine we say.Here is the wheel.Please take it Lord.And yet we open our eyes & we are still in the seat & the 747 still needs to land.What now? There was a time in the Old testament when a King named Jehoshaphat (I know....why did his mom & dad give him a funny name like that?) This King loved the Lord,but circumstances came that were truly life & death.You are probably tired of my babbling by now,so lets see what God had to say about it in His word.

1After this, the Moabites and Ammonites with some of the Meunites came to make war on Jehoshaphat.

2Some men came and told Jehoshaphat, “A vast army is coming against you from Edom,b from the other side of the Sea.c It is already in Hazazon Tamar” (that is, En Gedi). 3Alarmed, Jehoshaphat resolved to inquire of the Lord, and he proclaimed a fast for all Judah. 4The people of Judah came together to seek help from the Lord; indeed, they came from every town in Judah to seek him.

Then Jehoshaphat stood up in the assembly of Judah and Jerusalem at the temple of the Lord in the front of the new courtyard and said:

“O Lord, God of our fathers, are you not the God who is in heaven? You rule over all the kingdoms of the nations. Power and might are in your hand, and no one can withstand you.O our God, did you not drive out the inhabitants of this land before your people Israel and give it forever to the descendants of Abraham your friend?They have lived in it and have built in it a sanctuary for your Name, saying,
‘If calamity comes upon us, whether the sword of judgment, or plague or famine, we will stand in your presence before this temple that bears your Name and will cry out to you in our distress, and you will hear us and save us.’

“But now here are men from Ammon, Moab and Mount Seir, whose territory you would not allow Israel to invade when they came from Egypt; so they turned away from them and did not destroy them.See how they are repaying us by coming to drive us out of the possession you gave us as an inheritance.O our God, will you not judge them? For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you.”

I love the last sentence in this passage form 2nd Chronicles chapter 20."We do not know what to do,but our eyes are on you."
The King did these things.1)He reminded God (really he reminded himself)who God is.

“O Lord, God of our fathers, are you not the God who is in heaven? You rule over all the kingdoms of the nations. Power and might are in your hand, and no one can withstand you"
2) He reminded God (actually he reminded himself) of what God had done in the past.
"O our God, did you not drive out the inhabitants of this land before your people Israel and give it forever to the descendants of Abraham your friend?"
3)He reminded God of His word (more about this later)
"They have lived in it and have built in it a sanctuary for your Name, saying,‘If calamity comes upon us, whether the sword of judgment, or plague or famine, we will stand in your presence before this temple that bears your Name and will cry out to you in our distress, and you will hear us and save us.’"
4) He told God about the situation.
“But now here are men from Ammon, Moab and Mount Seir, whose territory you would not allow Israel to invade when they came from Egypt; so they turned away from them and did not destroy them.See how they are repaying us by coming to drive us out of the possession you gave us as an inheritance.O our God, will you not judge them?
5)By faith,He left it in God's hand.
"For we have no power to face this vast army that is attacking us. We do not know what to do, but our eyes are upon you.”
Back at step 3,where the king reminded God of His word,what Jehoshaphat remembered was a passage that we are familiar with (at least we are familiar with part of it).It was when God was speaking to Solomon just after the dedication of the temple.The passage is 2nd Chronicles 7,verses 11 through 16,& you might go read that.The verse we are familiar with is verse 14
"if my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land."
If you will read the rest of 2nd Chronicles 20,you will find out what God did,& I encourage you to do so.
There was a song written many years ago that is titled "The Master's Hand" sung by Annie Herring.It is often confused by it's title with "The Touch of the Master's Hand",but that is another song. Some of the lyrics in the song go like this:
"When I start to waiver
I look upon my past
And there I find His favor
I am not downcast
For He's taught me to walk by faith
Whenever storms arise
To look to and seek His face
Watch the dark clouds rise". The next line is this:
"By holding to the Master's hand".
Now you are saying "that is all well & good,but I am still in this seat & we still need to land & we are running out of fuel."
Want to know the truth? The truth is I cannot tell you what to do next.There are things you can do.You can move that yoke in your hand.You can move those 4 engine throttles in the center console.You can move those rudder pedals with your feet.And you can listen.There is that voice coming over the radio with instructions.You can listen to that voice.You can do your best to follow the instructions given by that voice.Or....what?".
When you have done all that you can do,& it is not enough, & the armies of Moab & Ammon are coming for you,& it's obvious they are not coming for a neighborly chat,Do what Jehoshaphat did.In so doing,you will put your hand in His,& He will lead you to safety & to rest.God bless you

Upvote 0

DesertJoe

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
In the mental health forum,there was a thread that was titled "Wish I was 'normal' ".Though I can so identify with that cry of the heart,I wonder.Do we really want to be "normal"?This is something that was posted there.

There was a movie released in 1980 titled "The Big Red 1" about the U.S. 1st Infantry division based mostly in WW2 (except for the very beginning).There was a scene in the movie where American troops were capturing a mental hospital occupied by the Germans in France.The scene was in a dining hall,& at the end of the battle,one of the patients picked up a German submachine gun & started firing,calling out as he did "I am like you.I am sane".I have never forgotten that scene,& I believe that the intent of the scene was to show the irony of "sane" people killing each other.Is normal really that "normal"?Many times Christians are thought of as abnormal.in the book of Acts Festus told Paul that his intellect had driven him mad.Look to Jesus.With Jesus there are no normal ones.We are all special to Him.Normal?With Jesus,I will take special any day.God bless you
smile.gif

Upvote 0

Ariellamb

My Father is the Gardener
Nov 21, 2009
A stranger & a pilgrim sojourning near Cambridge
✟20,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Very interesting thread DesertJoe

2 Kings 18

Hezekiah the son of Ahaz, king of Judah, began to reign. 2 He was twenty-five years old when he became king, and he reigned twenty-nine years in Jerusalem. His mother’s name was Abi the daughter of Zechariah. 3 And he did what was right in the sight of the LORD, according to all that his father David had done.
4 He removed the high places and broke the sacred pillars, cut down the wooden image and broke in pieces the bronze serpent that Moses had made; for until those days the children of Israel burned incense to it, and called it Nehushtan.

This passage has got me thinking about the bronze serpent

How many godly kings had there been before Hezekiah who had not seen this practice as wrong ,or even tackled this problem as to remove it i wonder.

Makes me think,how many practices do we tolerate in Church activities which are not God honouring or right today,which we justify as ok just because in our minds we think other godly men in ages past have seen nothing wrong with it,so it must be ok ?

Upvote 0

blessedmomof5

Contributor
Jan 4, 2005
ny
✟79,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I always considered Christians seperate from what todays "normal" is.
To fit in? to be a part of the crowd?
But we are to Stand out, so People can see Christs work in us.

Ephesians 4:24

And to put on the new self, created after the likeness of God in true righteousness and holiness

In the mental health forum,there was a thread that was titled "Wish I was 'normal' ".Though I can so identify with that cry of the heart,I wonder.Do we really want to be "normal"?This is something that was posted there.

There was a movie released in 1980 titled "The Big Red 1" about the U.S. 1st Infantry division based mostly in WW2 (except for the very beginning).There was a scene in the movie where American troops were capturing a mental hospital occupied by the Germans in France.The scene was in a dining hall,& at the end of the battle,one of the patients picked up a German submachine gun & started firing,calling out as he did "I am like you.I am sane".I have never forgotten that scene,& I believe that the intent of the scene was to show the irony of "sane" people killing each other.Is normal really that "normal"?Many times Christians are thought of as abnormal.in the book of Acts Festus told Paul that his intellect had driven him mad.Look to Jesus.With Jesus there are no normal ones.We are all special to Him.Normal?With Jesus,I will take special any day.God bless you
smile.gif

Upvote 0

DesertJoe

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
How deep an intellect does it take to know Jesus? Jesus said this to His followers when they were trying to prevent little children from coming to Him in Matthew 19:

13Then little children were brought to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked those who brought them.

14Jesus said, “Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these.” 15When he had placed his hands on them, he went on from there.

I remembered this from a few years back & found it again.It was from a man who loved God with all the intellect that God had given Him.Probably the most profound thing he ever said is found in this story:
Karl Barth, a world-famous Swiss theologian, gave a last lecture across the United
States shortly before his death. A student in one of his seminars could not fully
understand Barth’s complex ideas and theology. So he asked him, “I know you have
written volumes and volumes of theology, but can you sum up your theology in a single
sentence?” Then the famous theologian answered, “Yes. Jesus loves me, this I know,
for the Bible tells me so!”

Upvote 0

Ariellamb

Nov 21, 2009
✟20,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus tells us
If a seed of corn fall into the ground and die it will bear much fruit.
I woke up thinking about this,funny how The Holy Spirit can plant thoughts even while we are asleep,which we didn't know about until we awoke.

Then read about the sower and the 30,60,100 fold harvest soon after in my Bible reading.

I am more and more convinced that it is Only in Dying we can Really Live.
Problem
We don't like death to self, is an on going problem.

Upvote 0

DesertJoe

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
From the lyrics of "the Voice of truth" as sung by Casting Crowns:

Oh,what I would do to have
the kind of faith it takes
To climb out of this boat I'm in
Onto the crashing waves
To step out of my comfort zone
Into the realm of the unknown
Where Jesus is,
And he's holding out his hand

But the waves are calling out my name
and they laugh at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed
The waves they keep on telling me
time and time again
"Boy, you'll never win,
You you'll never win

But the Voice of truth tells me a different story
the Voice of truth says "do not be afraid!"
and the Voice of truth says "this is for My glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the Voice of truth

Oh, what I would do
to have the kind of strength it takes
To stand before a giant
with just a sling and a stone
Surrounded by the sound
of a thousand warriors
shaking in their armor
Wishing they'd have had the strength to stand

But the giant's calling out
my name and he laughs at me
Reminding me of all the times
I've tried before and failed
The giant keeps on telling me
time and time again
"Boy you'll never win,
you'll never win."

But the voice of truth tells me a different story
the Voice of truth says "do not be afraid!"
and the Voice of truth says "this is for My glory"
Out of all the voices calling out to me
I will choose to listen and believe the Voice of truth

Reactions: JCFantasy23
Upvote 0

Ariellamb

Nov 21, 2009
✟20,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
1 Peter 1

.......Even angels long to look into these things.
13 Therefore, prepare your minds for action; be self-controlled; set your hope fully on the grace to be given you when Jesus Christ is revealed.
14 As obedient children, do not conform to the evil desires you had when you lived in ignorance.
15 But just as he who called you is holy, so be holy in all you do;
16 for it is written: "Be holy, because I am holy."

17 Since you call on a Father who judges each man's work impartially, live your lives as strangers here in reverent fear.
18 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your forefathers,
19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.
20 He was chosen before the creation of the world, but was revealed in these last times for your sake.
21 Through him you believe in God, who raised him from the dead and glorified him, and so your faith and hope are in God.
22 Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart.
23 For you have been born again, not of perishable seed, but of imperishable, through the living and enduring word of God.
24 For,
"All men are like grass,
and all their glory is like the flowers of the field;
the grass withers and the flowers fall,

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

DesertJoe

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Hebrews 11:21By faith Jacob, when he was dying, blessed each of Joseph’s sons, and worshiped as he leaned on the top of his staff.

I also heard reference to this verse in the same sermon from one of my favorite chapters in scripture,Hebrews 11,also known as the faith chapter.Jacob was a rascal.& even the name Jacob indicates this.He blessed his sons by faith because it took faith to know that God would perform His will through them inspite of Jacob's less than stellar parental example.It also says "and worshiped as he leaned on top of his staff".That staff was a sign of Jacob's dependence on God.Is God your staff today?Are you fully leaning on Him?He is more interested in miraculously working through our infirmities than He is miraculously healing them.I am so encouraged by these words in scripture.there are so many places in scripture you can find the term "God of Jacob".One of my favorites is this in Psalm 146:

"Blessed is he whose help is the God of Jacob, whose hope is in the LORD his God"

Maybe we have messed up in life,Maybe we do not have much of a spiritual heritage with which to bless our children,& if we can do nothing else,let us bless each of them by faith,& let us worship God,even if we must do so leaning on a staff,for surely we cannot worship if we are not fully leaning on Him

Upvote 0

DesertJoe

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
This is a re-post from another thread.It was stated at a specific issue,but perhaps it has some general application. God bless you :)

I have a friend from Brooklyn New York,A brother in Moshiach,who was as Torah observant as he could be.A very intelligent young man(at that time young.....we have sadly lost touch for now) who was raised orthodox & bar mitzvah'd being able to recite Torah in Hebrew.We really loved each other as brothers (sad that nowadays you have to throw in "as brothers because of the evil in men's hearts).We met when I was leading a Bible study at a homeless shelter,& I wish I knew how to put it differently,for I really did not lead.Jesus (Yeshua) was there.He led.We functioned as a body.My friend from Brooklyn was in a situation beyond his control.God put him there.It was almost Christmas,& as strange as it may sound,God put it in my heart to bring up Isaiah 53.The focus was not on the baby Yeshua,or on December 25th,but rather "Who is this Yeshua?"
That is when I met my friend.The group was discussing,& he made an intensly insightful statement.I stopped to find out more about who this was who had just made this statement.I found out that he was Messianic,& then I asked him to lead.He very graciously asked me to go ahead.We got to know each other in the ensuing days,& I was able to help him by God's grace.We found a local Messianic congregation for him to attend,& I went with him.I learned a lot from him,& from the experience.The irony is that he claims to have learned from me also.As it says in Proverbs 27,"As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another".Let us not be divided by old & new,by tradition,by color,
by nationality,or even by region.Let us love one another & respect one another's differences in these areas.Would it not be a dull world if we were all the same?Remember,whether you are a Jewish believer or a gentile believer,you (or I) am not the repository of all truth & correct observance.Remember that Nicodemus,who Jesus called "a teacher of Israel" did not display any belief for 16 chapters (John chapter 3 to John chapter 19).In the 4th chapter of John however,a Samaritan woman who was as theologically messed up as it gets (Jesus said to her "you worship what you do not know") nonetheless showed her belief in just a few verses.you may believe that this is a facetious argument,& perhaps it is,but think about it.Observe Torah with these verses in mind...Deuteronomy 6:5 & Leviticus 19:18.In so doing you will keep the law by faith,& the fact that you love your neighbor will be "mitzvot". Baruch HaSHEM! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Ariellamb

Nov 21, 2009
✟20,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Although this may sound like a contradiction it isn't

The more you go on with God the more you realize that He is even more forgiving than you used to think,yet at the same time you also realize that fewer people will get into heaven than you used to think would.

That is my experience anyway

Upvote 0

DesertJoe

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
The greatest outward evidence of a Christian who is spirit filled is a changed & separated life. It manifests itself in the love Paul speaks of in 1st Corinthians 13:

1)If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2)If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3)If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4)Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5)It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6)Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7)It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8)Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9)For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10)but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11)When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12)Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13)And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

God bless you,& be being filled continuously with the Holy spirit :)

Upvote 0

DesertJoe

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
1st Corinthians 13:

1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Matthew5:

43“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Matthew7:

12So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Luke 10:27

He answered: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Love is a very misunderstood word in modern times.There were 5 Greek words for love,& much of what is understood of the scripture is better understood in the Greek renderings.Agapao (Agape love) is not a feeling.It is not a "quid pro quo".It is not "getting my needs met.It is 1st & foremost an act of the will.It is a unilateral love many times.God chose to love us,& we must by God's grace choose to love others regardless of whether or not they care about us at all.I am not preaching at you.I hope you get value out of this,& that God blesses you with this.I am preaching to myself.God is preaching to me.He is saying "keep going.You are getting there,but you are not there yet".God bless you :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

blessedmomof5

Contributor
Jan 4, 2005
ny
✟79,926.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
But if we all fall short of the Glory of God ,How can this even be possible?

1st Corinthians 13:

1If I speak in the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal. 2If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. 3If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, but have not love, I gain nothing.

4Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. 9For we know in part and we prophesy in part, 10but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. 11When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. 12Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known.

13And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love.

Matthew5:

43“You have heard that it was said, ‘Love your neighbor and hate your enemy.’ 44But I tell you: Love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you, 45that you may be sons of your Father in heaven. He causes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the righteous and the unrighteous. 46If you love those who love you, what reward will you get? Are not even the tax collectors doing that? 47And if you greet only your brothers, what are you doing more than others? Do not even pagans do that? 48Be perfect, therefore, as your heavenly Father is perfect.

Matthew7:

12So in everything, do to others what you would have them do to you, for this sums up the Law and the Prophets.

Luke 10:27

He answered: "'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.'"

Love is a very misunderstood word in modern times.There were 5 Greek words for love,& much of what is understood of the scripture is better understood in the Greek renderings.Agapao (Agape love) is not a feeling.It is not a "quid pro quo".It is not "getting my needs met.It is 1st & foremost an act of the will.It is a unilateral love many times.God chose to love us,& we must by God's grace choose to love others regardless of whether or not they care about us at all.I am not preaching at you.I hope you get value out of this,& that God blesses you with this.I am preaching to myself.God is preaching to me.He is saying "keep going.You are getting there,but you are not there yet".God bless you :)

Upvote 0

DesertJoe

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
But if we all fall short of the Glory of God ,How can this even be possible?

Matthew 19:26
Jesus looked at them and said, "With man this is impossible, but with God all things are possible."

I am taking this verse out of context,which is normally a big no no.I am doing so to show a principle.I to this day have anger problems.That is not unique in this world we live in.But the way I may have in the past,or even in the future give vent to that anger would probably not glorify God.Loving those who hate you,turning the other cheek,walking the 2nd mile,these are things that we cannot do_Only God can do this in us.Look at what Paul writes in Philippians 2:12 & 13"Therefore, my dear friends, as you have always obeyed—not only in my presence, but now much more in my absence—continue to work out your salvation with fear and trembling, 13for it is God who works in you to will and to act according to his good purpose".

The "with fear & trembling" part is lost on us today.We do not get the "work out" part.We are taught that salvation is God's work.Look at the next verse.It is God's will in us that does this.It is God's will that becomes our will to love the ones who God loves,even those who hate God & hate us.The "working out" part of salvation,as best as I can say it & to the limits of my understanding,is to yield to God's will in us.To lay down our will & take on "God's yoke" (sound familiar?) is real work for us.There are times in the life of Christians when the loss of fellowship with God due to personal sin brings about real terror.I am working with people now who believe that either they have lost their salvation,or that they were never saved to begin with.This is actually a good thing,I have been there.For most of us,this is what it takes to get "Our calling & election sure".There are people who have wronged me in my life,but you know what?They did not wrong me nearly as bad as I have wronged Jesus,& He died for what I did to Him.When we yield ourselves to God's perfect will in us,He will open our eyes.We will not only want to do this (by His grace) but it will even start to make sense,having that eternal perspective to look through.I hope this helps.God bless you :)

Upvote 0

DesertJoe

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
In the words of Tiny Tim,"God bless us every one" :) Although "A Christmas Carol " was a work of fiction,isn't it awesome how God will use the weak & the foolish.

1st Corinthians 1: 27But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise; God chose the weak things of the world to shame the strong.

Upvote 0

Ariellamb

Nov 21, 2009
✟20,581.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
He hath not beheld iniquity in Jacob, neither hath he seen perverseness in Israel: the LORD his God is with him, and the shout of a king is among them.

Balaam the prophet spake these words through inspiration from the Lord about Israel His people.

From what we know of the Israelites history at this time no way could it be said that there was no iniquity in Jacob (Israel)
Yet just as God declared this over them 3000yrs ago, so today God declares this same proclamation over His blood bought children through Christ Jesus our Lord,that He see's no iniquity in His own (although we can see it very clearly)

Gods perspective is outside of our realm of vision,Praise The Lord!!

Today they are in trouble with Gaza,will we pray for them from Gods perspective?

Upvote 0

DesertJoe

Apr 30, 2010
✟8,986.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
God bless you Ariellamb.God looks at me,just as I am,& He doesn't see me as I see me.He sees His finished work. People wonder what the difference is between believers & unbelievers.The difference is that the believers see they are sinners & hate it,& they trust God who says He will fix them.He does fix us...If we let Him.

Upvote 0