Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I read a quote on Orthodoxy Live's FB feed that I hoped to get some general feedback about?

It says:

"The Lenten journey can be a difficult one. But God wants you to succeed. At the mid-point of the Great Fast, the journey shifts from us (our repentance and effort), to the events which took place "for our sake and for our salvation." (paraphrased from Fr. Alexander Schmemman) - keep that in mind.

I'm trying to understand the focus, and purpose of Lent, as we go through it. Probably on more levels than I'm able.

It has been very fruitful for me so far. But it seems I missed the expected "shift". Would anyone be willing to comment on any part of the big picture, and help me put things in context, especially as far as our own spiritual focus, what we learn from Lent, how we hope to grow, those kinds of things?

I have some specific questions, but I think I talk about myself too much in here, so I'd rather try to understand overall. :)

Thanks SO much, everyone!

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I read a quote on Orthodoxy Live's FB feed that I hoped to get some general feedback about?

It says:

"The Lenten journey can be a difficult one. But God wants you to succeed. At the mid-point of the Great Fast, the journey shifts from us (our repentance and effort), to the events which took place "for our sake and for our salvation." (paraphrased from Fr. Alexander Schmemman) - keep that in mind.

I'm trying to understand the focus, and purpose of Lent, as we go through it. Probably on more levels than I'm able.

It has been very fruitful for me so far. But it seems I missed the expected "shift". Would anyone be willing to comment on any part of the big picture, and help me put things in context, especially as far as our own spiritual focus, what we learn from Lent, how we hope to grow, those kinds of things?

I have some specific questions, but I think I talk about myself too much in here, so I'd rather try to understand overall. :)

Thanks SO much, everyone!

I'm guessing this is taken from Fr Schmemann book "Great Lent" - an excellent book that you might want to read next year during Lent. I remember being a bit confused by this as well when I first read it many years ago because you still have the reading of the life of St Mary of Egypt which it seems is very much about repentance. I think the shift is rather subtle and unless you are reading the daily services, you probably wouldn't even notice. I think shifts might be a little strong - it's more like it "starts to shift" - such that when we arrive at Lazarus Saturday we very much focused on the events. Sorry that probably doesn't help very much. I have the book at home, so if I have time tonight I will get it out and review this section.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks for the comments. That's what I get for being behind in reading too.

Yes last year I really completely missed the "repentance" part. I came in late, and I was still attending on Sundays with my husband. Just before Lazarus Saturday I became more involved, and caught just about everything from that point forward. It was SO much about the Cross, everything that led up to it, and the Resurrection. All of that I remember clearly. It was like being there 2000 years ago.

Soooooo ......

Is it reasonable to say that the first part of Great Lent is intended to focus our attention on why we NEED Christ, and the later part is to show the fulfillment of that need?

If that's the simple summary, then maybe I haven't missed so much after all.

There is a profound understanding of the need for Christ, His mercy, redemption, and all things associated. Is that what we are supposed to be getting out of it?

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I'm guessing this is taken from Fr Schmemann book "Great Lent" - an excellent book that you might want to read next year during Lent. I remember being a bit confused by this as well when I first read it many years ago because you still have the reading of the life of St Mary of Egypt which it seems is very much about repentance. I think the shift is rather subtle and unless you are reading the daily services, you probably wouldn't even notice. I think shifts might be a little strong - it's more like it "starts to shift" - such that when we arrive at Lazarus Saturday we very much focused on the events. Sorry that probably doesn't help very much. I have the book at home, so if I have time tonight I will get it out and review this section.

Ah, Father recommended that book, and it ordered it. I have received it (late) but for various scheduling reasons, it's easier for me to finish what I was working on from electronic sources than a paper book, so for those two reasons I'm very behind. I think Spring Break is next week though, so no work. I will probably have time to read it if it still makes sense to do so. That will be before Lazarus Sunday, so maybe I can "catch up"?

Thanks so much.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,456,009.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Is it reasonable to say that the first part of Great Lent is intended to focus our attention on why we NEED Christ, and the later part is to show the fulfillment of that need?

I think the latter part prepares you for the fulfillment of that need, because you will participate in it on Pascha.

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married

I think the latter part prepares you for the fulfillment of that need, because you will participate in it on Pascha.

That makes sense. But if the basics are right otherwise, then it all fits together.

Without putting the second part in there, I was feeling at a bit of a loss.

Read part of Fr. Alexander Schmemann's book - I'm glad I had a few hours today. :)

I also read something very interesting there about confession that I'm still thinking about, but that's another topic.

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,527.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
ArmyMatt said:
just wait til Pascha, you will see methinketh

It's coming so quickly!! I'm looking forward to all the upcoming chrismations right before Pascha. :)

Speaking of chrismations...this next Saturday is the anniversary of my chrismation...a wonderful day!!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
just wait til Pascha, you will see methinketh

I was there for Pascha last year. :)

I couldn't WAIT for Holy Week and Pascha again! I don't think Bright Week will be quite the withdrawal/letdown it was for me last year (such a sudden shock of "nothing at Church") and I look forward to the whole season after Pascha. :)

I guess I was having trouble making the connection between the repentance and getting just a good glimpse at true human condition (grieves the soul really) ... and Pascha.

Kind of a "duh" moment I guess, but I get those. I actually spent about a week trying to figure out - spiritually, where do I go from here?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
It's coming so quickly!! I'm looking forward to all the upcoming chrismations right before Pascha. :)

Speaking of chrismations...this next Saturday is the anniversary of my chrismation...a wonderful day!!

Congratulations - happy anniversary? :). Do we have a saying for that? I don't suppose Xronia Polla (or however you'd transliterated it) is appropriate?

Either way, congratulations! :)

Upvote 0

All4Christ

✙ The Handmaid of God Laura ✙
CF Senior Ambassador
Supporter
Mar 11, 2003
PA
Visit site
✟1,013,527.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Kylissa said:
I was there for Pascha last year. :) I couldn't WAIT for Holy Week and Pascha again!

Thanks Kylissa! I'm really thankful that I found Orthodoxy! :)

I remember my first Pascha...I started attending Sunday liturgy just a few weeks before Lent (though I started going to a few Vespers services and catechism classes to learn before attending the Divine Liturgy). I think that it was the Pascha service that made me realize that I was truly home. I couldn't stop talking about it. :). It was a big change though to go from all the Pascha services to Bright Week!

Upvote 0

~Anastasia~

† Handmaid of God †
Dec 1, 2013
Florida panhandle, USA
✟922,745.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Thanks Kylissa! I'm really thankful that I found Orthodoxy! :)

I remember my first Pascha...I started attending Sunday liturgy just a few weeks before Lent (though I started going to a few Vespers services and catechism classes to learn before attending the Divine Liturgy). I think that it was the Pascha service that made me realize that I was truly home. I couldn't stop talking about it. :). It was a big change though to go from all the Pascha services to Bright Week!

Last year was my first. Like you, attended other services first, and classes. I started in one Church then ended up in the other parish. I started coming around the beginning of Lent, but my first Divine Liturgy was Palm Sunday. From that first DL, I haven't wanted to be anywhere else.

I was very involved in all the preparations, we had 2 catechism classes a week plus adult Bible study. So Bright Week was a TOTAL letdown for me. I couldn't bear there suddenly being nothing at Church (poor Father needed rest!!!). I think this year I will be more stable - I hope so! I don't like to miss, but there will always be next Sunday, or resuming classes, or the next feast day or fasting season.

That first time was amazing though. Nothing could have prepared me for the absolute immediacy of it. I felt as though I lived through that week alongside Christ as He spent His last week, through the Crucufixion, and finally the absolutely glorious Resurrection!

I'm looking forward to it, but I don't want to rush through the rest of Lent either. :)

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
So, based on Fr Schmemann's book - what he seems to be saying is that shift begins on the fourth Sunday when hear in the Gospel reading "The Son of Man will be delivered into the hands of man and they will kill Him, and when He is killed, after three days He will rise again." The shift is gradual, leading us into Palm week, but not before fulfilling our repentances in the complete reading of the great canon of St Andrew during the fifth week. pp 77-78. So it seems to me that he is not saying the shift takes place immediately after the Sunday of the Cross, but rather begins on the Fourth Sunday with the prophecy of Christ's own death and resurrection which begins our own journey toward Jerusalem and Holy Week.

Upvote 0