The purpose and meaning of life... What is our function...? What should we be doing...?

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
What is the purpose an meaning of life...?

I am reminded of a Star Trek TNG episode, The Offspring, and in Data's child, another android, asks the question, "Father, What is the meaning of life, what is our purpose, our function...?

He says, and I really like this and think it is spot on... He says, "Our purpose, our basic function, (that brings "meaning" to our life), is to "contribute in a positive way into the world in which we live..."

How much simpler and easier does it get than that, whether a believer or a non-believer... Think how much things could change if we all lived by this...?

Also, in that same episode and included in this I believe is to, Data says we must, "Strive to be more than what we (currently) are... (Or, were the day or month or year before, in our past...)

He adds, if, for instance our goal was (for us Christians) to be more like God is (or for those who do not believe this, to stop behaving like a virus, and infection, or disease or a plague), theirs was to become more human... His child points out how impossible it is, and he says "We must strive to be more than what we are... It does not matter, that or, or "if", we reach or ultimately achieve our eventual goal, the "effort" yields it's own rewards...

So, the way I'd define the purpose and meaning of, or how we will, do, or find meaning in life, is to "Contribute in a positive way into the world in which we live" And, everyday, to "strive to become more than we currently are, or have been in the past..."

What do you think...?

God Bless!

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Meaning is to love God, you, other people. I hope that would bring something special to someone.
Yes, thereby "contributing, or causing you to contribute in a positive way into the world in which you live..." Hopefully, that is the end result of that, Correct...? Thereby, bringing meaning and purpose to your life as a person... Love, generosity, kindness, helping one another with whatever one another might need help with, positively and in a positive way, many things can fall under this category...

God Bless!

Reactions: redblue22
Upvote 0

SkyWriting

The Librarian
Site Supporter
Jan 10, 2010
Milwaukee
✟410,948.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What is the purpose and meaning of life...?

I am reminded of a Star Trek TNG episode, The Offspring, and in Data's child, another android, asks the question, "Father, What is the meaning of life, what is our purpose, our function...?

He says, and I really like this and think it is spot on... He says, "Our purpose, our basic function, (that brings "meaning" to our life), is to "contribute in a positive way into the world in which we live..."

How much simpler and easier does it get than that, whether a believer or a non-believer... Think how much things could change if we all lived by this...?

Also, in that same episode and included in this I believe is to, Data says we must, "Strive to be more than what we (currently) are... (Or, were the day or month or year before, in our past...)

He adds, if, for instance our goal was (for us Christians) to be more like God is (or for those who do not believe this, to stop behaving like a virus, and infection, or disease or a plague), theirs was to become more human... His child points out how impossible it is, and he says "We must strive to be more than what we are... It does not matter, that or, or "if", we reach or ultimately achieve our eventual goal, the "effort" yields it's own rewards...

So, the way I'd define the purpose and meaning of, or how we will, do, or find meaning in life, is to "Contribute in a positive way into the world in which we live" And, everyday, to "strive to become more than we currently are, or have been in the past..."

What do you think...?

God Bless!

The purpose of life is to communicate with God.
After all, He wrote the entire story. You might
like to know what it is.

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

40 Bible Verses About Prayer

• Agree
Reactions: MWood
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
The purpose of life is to communicate with God.
After all, He wrote the entire story. You might
like to know what it is.

Rejoice always, pray continually, give thanks in all circumstances; for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus.
1 Thessalonians 5:16-18

40 Bible Verses About Prayer
That is a beginning for Christians, and is an excellent place to start, but it is not the ending, nor should it be... The "results" of that should be like, or very similar to, what I am talking about here, (also spoke of in places in scripture also), if that, (that you mentioned), does not "result" in this, I would seriously question it's genuineness and sincerity...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Disciple of Jesus
Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
✟146,199.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
What is the purpose an meaning of life...?...

...What do you think...?

I believe the meaning of life is love. It is the greatest commandment and without it all is really empty.

Love never fails.
1 Cor. 13:8

But the meaning of this “life”, that can also be seen as the first death, I think it is also to learn to know good and evil as people in the beginning wanted. Here we can really see what evil means and what is good. And those who love more good than evil have opportunity to go to eternal life.

Upvote 0

DoubtfulSalvation

Jan 21, 2016
USA
✟15,659.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
God created a perfect creation with the intent on having it fall to the standards we know it is today. Why? Well, God gets immense glory in our suffering (weakness) and this was never produced by the type of dependency and love that was available by keeping man in the garden. The environment was too perfect and comfortable for man. So, being omniscient, he directly or indirectly made sure we would have a curse called sin put upon us and that we would have to look to him to be redeemed. This gives him the maximum amount of pleasure and glory. It may sound evil by human standards (it does to me anyhow), but God is God and can do whatever he wants. He could even operate outside of his own laws and call it holy if he so willed. So, the point literally is to be as submissive and yes massa to him as possible. This is also why the whole creation/fall story seems so silly, along with Satan swelling up with sin in an environment where sin can't exist. It also explains why God can't handle any sort of rejection (unlike humans who become better for it) and he has to punish them eternally for a finite crime. I had a psychotic ex-girlfriend who had this type of fiery vengeful, never let go attitude.

This upsets a lot of people and they make vain attempts to refute it, but the logic is too solid and usually they will be quiet and disappear. After that they either forget that their ideas on faith/life were ever challenged or they go into a sort of crisis and become critical of their belief for the first time in their life. It's a really hard pill to swallow, but just remember that a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.

This all being said. I've become accustomed to people claiming I don't believe in God, but I do. I believe in YHWH from the Bible and Jesus and all that camp fire goodness. I just don't believe in a benevolent God, as I judge people/things by their intentions and past actions. I believe him to be a malevolent God, who possesses and displays at times some of the worst of humanities features. This being said, I acknowledge that we are all meant to worship him and submit to his authority, because he for some reason needs to be recognized and acknowledged by beings lesser than himself (that one makes no sense). That's it!

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
What is the purpose an meaning of life...?

Loving, and surrendering all that we are and all that we have to, God.

What do you think...?

Alas that is idolatry, because it makes the world (rather than God) that which we exist to serve.

It is God's intent to make a beautiful world, but we must start with the creator and not the creation.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
A tree has a purpose, but does it have an objective?

I like to talk about our objective while here on earth which appears to be:

Obtain Godly type Love and grow that love, this will enable us to fulfill the mission statement of :
Loving God (and secondly others) with all our heart, soul, mind, and energy.

Upvote 0

SolomonVII

Sep 4, 2003
Vancouver
✟155,006.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
God created a perfect creation with the intent on having it fall to the standards we know it is today. Why? Well, God gets immense glory in our suffering (weakness) and this was never produced by the type of dependency and love that was available by keeping man in the garden. The environment was too perfect and comfortable for man. So, being omniscient, he directly or indirectly made sure we would have a curse called sin put upon us and that we would have to look to him to be redeemed. This gives him the maximum amount of pleasure and glory. It may sound evil by human standards (it does to me anyhow), but God is God and can do whatever he wants. He could even operate outside of his own laws and call it holy if he so willed. So, the point literally is to be as submissive and yes massa to him as possible. This is also why the whole creation/fall story seems so silly, along with Satan swelling up with sin in an environment where sin can't exist. It also explains why God can't handle any sort of rejection (unlike humans who become better for it) and he has to punish them eternally for a finite crime. I had a psychotic ex-girlfriend who had this type of fiery vengeful, never let go attitude.

This upsets a lot of people and they make vain attempts to refute it, but the logic is too solid and usually they will be quiet and disappear. After that they either forget that their ideas on faith/life were ever challenged or they go into a sort of crisis and become critical of their belief for the first time in their life. It's a really hard pill to swallow, but just remember that a spoonful of sugar helps the medicine go down.

This all being said. I've become accustomed to people claiming I don't believe in God, but I do. I believe in YHWH from the Bible and Jesus and all that camp fire goodness. I just don't believe in a benevolent God, as I judge people/things by their intentions and past actions. I believe him to be a malevolent God, who possesses and displays at times some of the worst of humanities features. This being said, I acknowledge that we are all meant to worship him and submit to his authority, because he for some reason needs to be recognized and acknowledged by beings lesser than himself (that one makes no sense). That's it!
This is very similar to the God that the Marquis de Sade worshiped.
In a world in which the good suffer, and the evil are rewarded, the logic of following such a god is to do evil.

It is, I think, a non-Biblical and likely idolatrous vision of God that has him being all about bunnies and cotton candy, and love and happy dancing. There certainly is a terribleness and a malevolence to God, as he presented himself to Jacob that night where they struggled to dawn and Jacob ended up with a serious injury to his hip. God certainly is capable of doing serious harm, and even making deals with the devil.

Just ask Job.

But the depiction of God as malevolent is more than an equal and opposite reaction to the Bunny Rabbit God that so many Christians pay homage to today.To truly believe in God as malevolence means that the purpose of our life is to do evil.

And that is the exact opposite of the God of the Bible.

The suffering that God desires from us is not to glorify sadistic intent. The crucifix instead glorifies the infinite courage that is even greater than suffering, even greater than our deep fear of suffering.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist

What do you think...?
What did Y'SHUA say to the crowds ?
HE ALWAYS showed that people were sinning and could not save themselves; that the world's way is sinful and contrary to YHWH - the world no matter its feelings or desires is pernicious, not good and not healthy.

THAT IS WHY A SAVIOR IS NEEDED. The whole world is totally corrupt, according to Y'SHUA and throughout YHWH'S WORD.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
What did Y'SHUA say to the crowds ?
HE ALWAYS showed that people were sinning and could not save themselves; that the world's way is sinful and contrary to YHWH - the world no matter its feelings or desires is pernicious, not good and not healthy.

THAT IS WHY A SAVIOR IS NEEDED. The whole world is totally corrupt, according to Y'SHUA and throughout YHWH'S WORD.
That's no good reason or excuse not to "try" and change it, and be occupied in this goal in and with Love, overcoming and fighting and resisting and trying to change it with "good" things only, not returning or exchanging evil for evil, but evil with good...

Look, I have a very good, close, intimate, deep, personal, very loving relationship with God, and this is where it should start, but if you truly "love" him, like you say you do, you will not give up on them, or throw your hands up in the air and say "this is pointless" "I quit" No, if you have the Love of God in you, you will love them also, as you have been shown and have been and are loved by him... If you don't, then you don't, plain and simple... If you don't, or you choose to do nothing until he comes, how will he say to you "well done, good and faithful servant...?" Does he not expect you to do, or "try" to do something/anything till he comes, even if you don't succeed or see much success in it...? How are you loving in the way that you are loved if you are not at all...?

God Bless!

Reactions: SolomonVII
Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
That is a beginning for Christians, and is an excellent place to start, but it is not the ending, nor should it be... The "results" of that should be like, or very similar to, what I am talking about here, (also spoke of in places in scripture also), if that, (that you mentioned), does not "result" in this, I would seriously question it's genuineness and sincerity...

God Bless!
We should try to make the world a better place until he comes, if we truly have the Love of God in us... "Make" may not be the right word though, it sounds to forceful... "Cause" or have an influential, "causal effect" on it (the world) and other people, might be better... "How"...? By being an example that others want to, and are "drawn" to be like, this is perhaps the best way to cause any kind of change in anyone or it (the world)...

Conduct yourself and live your life in such a way, by who you are being, being shown in what and who you are, and what you do outwardly, free from hypocrisy (actions, behaviors, choices, attitudes, what you say and do, being the same, practicing what you preach) (A fine example that others are attracted to and drawn to be like and emulate in their own personal lives) And, when they ask you, (cause they will be curious if your doing this right), when they ask you about yourself, taking the opportunity to give credit, glory and honor to God, and tell them it is because of him in your life that you are the way you are, and be ready to answer any more curious questions they might have about that also...

God Bless!

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Loving, and surrendering all that we are and all that we have to, God.

Again, how it begins, not where it ends, what will God want with you, to be doing when this is done...?

Alas that is idolatry, because it makes the world (rather than God) that which we exist to serve.

It is God's intent to make a beautiful world, but we must start with the creator and not the creation.

What does it mean to "exist for" and to "serve God" then...?

Again, start with the Creator, yes, and/but also "serve life", all life, and for the sake of life, in and with his creation, in the end...

It is not idolatry, if you are not "Loving the world (current world system) and the things (things in belonging to and existing because of the current world system and the way that it is currently) things in or of the world..." Not, not Loving all the people, or creation, or the life, or lives "in it" that the current world system is a threat to... We should fight and work against this threat, till he comes... We should be loving the people and life and lives in the world, for that is not what the scripture means about "not loving the world or the things in it" or he who "loves the world (system, the way it currently is) does not have the love of God in him." You also do not have the Love of God in you if you care nothing about the lives in it...

I Love the people in it, and life in the earth, and the current world system is a threat to that, I will work against it for their sake, cause I love them... I do believe the best and first and foremost thing is introduce God into it, and into peoples lives, but not "force" it upon them, but "introduce" it (God) to them, and them to God...

Beyond this, I will strike a balance between this and trying to change and alter the current world system, one person at a time if I have to, into something better that is not a threat to life or to them or to our continued existence... Cause I don't love the current world system at all, but I love them, and will try my best to what I can to try and change it for their sake's... I am going to do this both by trying to introduce God into it and to them, and also, more practical, life matters aimed at the goal of changing it for the better also... I will be quick to point out that it is my belief that the hope of this happening is if we all have God in our lives, directing and guiding us all in this also...

This is not "idolatry", it is "Love"...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Again, how it begins, not where it ends, what will God want with you, to be doing when this is done...?

You are trying to second-guess God (it's something we ALL have tried to do) but this will get in your way of surrendering to Him (as you try to do what YOU will rather than what He wills at any particular time).

Relax, and trust God. Place all that you are upon his altar and cease trying to second-guess Him. Trust me, I'm learning this through harsh experience. ;)

What does it mean to "exist for" and to "serve God" then...?

Again, start with the Creator, yes, and/but also "serve life", all life, and for the sake of life, in and with his creation, in the end...

It is not idolatry, if you are not "Loving the world (current world system) and the things (things in belonging to and existing because of the current world system and the way that it is currently) things in or of the world..."

It's idolatry when we think anything has power or worth independent of God.

Seek first the Kingdom, and the rest will arrive as it will.

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
You are trying to second-guess God (it's something we ALL have tried to do) but this will get in your way of surrendering to Him (as you try to do what YOU will rather than what He wills at any particular time).

Relax, and trust God. Place all that you are upon his altar and cease trying to second-guess Him. Trust me, I'm learning this through harsh experience. ;)

First off, I really appreciate what your trying to, really, truly, sincerely, I mean that...

However, I'm not second-guessing him (anymore)... True at times I do lose sight of the fact that he's there and with me in this, but, that doesn't mean he isn't, he still is, and I have to remind myself of that... And, he himself, reminds me of that... It is also, why I have "balance", I try to spend and equal amount of time with him, as I do with them, and when I'm dealing with them, try not to lose sight of the fact that he's always there and with me in it continually... This is his will for my life, I know this from him...

But, I do greatly appreciate the concern, truly, thanks for that...

It's idolatry when we think anything has power or worth independent of God.

Seek first the Kingdom, and the rest will arrive as it will.

That's the trick isn't it... Some of which I already described above, Even if I lose sight of the fact that I may be doing it on my own, I quickly (usually) realize it and kinda panic for a moment, in those moments, but, he quickly reminds and reassures me, he's right there with me, and not to worry or panic...

What is the Kingdom, if not God' continual presence with you in what you do... Which I know I have, and when I may lose sight of that, he quickly reminds me, I really haven't, for he is there, always, whenever I need him...

I do practice "balance" though, Again, I thank you greatly for your caring ways, and brotherly concern, thank you very much...

God Bless!

Upvote 0

Inkfingers

Somebody's heretic
Site Supporter
May 17, 2014
✟160,762.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
That's the trick isn't it

Yup :D

What is the Kingdom, if not God' continual presence with you in what you do

The Kingdom is being one in Christ, dying to the old self and being one in the Body of Christ, in Him as he is in the Father and Him in us as the Father is in Him. Kenosis leading to apotheosis. Born again. A new creature. Calling no man on earth Father, because being made anew by Him our Father is God in heaven.

The 'Beast' meanwhile is when we try to make the Kingdom for ourselves, 'independent' of God. A pale copy born of vanity.

It's okay, God knows what he's doing and doesn't need us to save him. ;) Now if only we ALL can remember that more often. :)

Upvote 0

Neogaia777

Old Soul
Site Supporter
Oct 10, 2011
Oregon
✟960,797.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Celibate
Yup :D

The Kingdom is being one in Christ, dying to the old self and being one in the Body of Christ, in Him as he is in the Father and Him in us as the Father is in Him. Kenosis leading to apotheosis. Born again. A new creature. Calling no man on earth Father, because being made anew by Him our Father is God in heaven.

Agree with all of that...

The 'Beast' meanwhile is when we try to make the Kingdom for ourselves, 'independent' of God. A pale copy born of vanity.

What choice do we have? This is a period of time where we have no choice but to try and "figure it out ourselves" knowing we're probably doomed to fail, but what choice do we have, really...? Now, if God would tell us all specifically how to do it all, and how to set it all up and make it happen, that would be great indeed... There may be a time coming when we think the answer to this is, to "model it" and make it, after what has already been done, in say the OT, perhaps, figuring out how to incorporate what's in it, to our modern day times and era...

It's okay, God knows what he's doing and doesn't need us to save him. ;) Now if only we ALL can remember that more often. :)

It isn't about "saving God" of course that isn't needed even in the slightest... It's about "what do we do" about ourselves, until he comes... Is he going to tell us all directly and specifically, (It would be great if he did, but, is he really going to...?) or are we left to ourselves and our own means...? Until he comes, not just in spirit, as he is now, but physically...

God Bless!

Upvote 0