The problem with Creation vs. Evolution threads (or why certain atheists aren't helping)

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,677.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
My religious beliefs protect me from most of society's problems. That I don't hold science in the highest regard is science's problem, not mine.

"Science" is not an entity, its a method helping us understand and describe physical reality.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
"Science" is not an entity, its a method helping us understand and describe physical reality.

Science observes that a person is drowning, and studies the event. ^_^

My clear meaning was that science, in the hands of scientists, isn't the great problem solver that it is trumpeted to be.

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I assume you visit a physician occasionally for medical care correct?

Next time you go, ask them about the TOE and how it has impacted medical care.

I would rather ask him or her why they don't support legislation to force people to be more responsible with their health, and with the health of others. Oh wait, they can't change human nature, neither can science.:D

Last edited:
Upvote 0

bhsmte

Apr 26, 2013
✟247,431.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I would rather ask him or her why they don't support legislation to force people to be more responsible with their health, and with the health of others. Oh wait, they can't change human nature, neither can science.:D

No they cant change human nature, but they can certainly rely on and understand how the TOE has helped medicine.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
No they cant change human nature, but they can certainly rely on and understand how the TOE has helped medicine.

And I am grateful for modern medicine, it has saved my bacon several times. :bow:

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic

My clear meaning was that science, in the hands of scientists, isn't the great problem solver that it is trumpeted to be.

Proof?

Why don't you show us a different method that has been more successful than the scientific method.

Upvote 0

Dave Ellis

Contributor
Dec 27, 2011
Toronto, Ontario
✟52,315.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
In Relationship
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Proof?

Why don't you show us a different method that has been more successful than the scientific method.

Clearly making things up and believing them in the face of all evidence is the superior way to learn things.

I'm surprised you had to ask.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Proof?

No point, as you would posit that all solutions are 'scientific' even if one doesn't realize it. You are also implying that all problems have a scientific solution. Science has attributed human nature to evolution (and thus within the realm of science) and yet has no solution for it's problems.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Loudmouth

Contributor
Aug 26, 2003
Visit site
✟98,005.00
Faith
Agnostic
No point, as you would posit that all solutions are 'scientific' even if one doesn't realize it. You are also implying that all problems have a scientific solution. Science has attributed human nature to evolution (and thus within the realm of science) and yet has no solution for it's problems.

I am implying that you can't come up with a better method than the scientific method, and you have confirmed that conclusion for me.

Upvote 0

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I only have two problems with science,

1. The ToE.
2. The implicit promise of problem solving beyond it's capacity.

Otherwise I do appreciate science.

Yes, but those are your, underscore "your," problems. They are not at all problems in the real world of science.

Upvote 0

Hoghead1

Oct 27, 2015
✟8,968.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
My religious beliefs protect me from most of society's problems. That I don't hold science in the highest regard is science's problem, not mine.
No, it is just your problem. The world of science doesn't give a hoot what your degrees are in or what you think.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

florida2

Sep 18, 2011
✟25,691.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

I didn't watch that particular video, I'm speaking from my own knowledge.

For example without quantum theory there would be no transistors or lasers - the basis of computer chips and modern communications. Every piece of modern technology has its roots in quantum physics.

The beauty of science is its ability to persue questions simply because people want to know the answer, rather than immediately looking for a practical, commercial benefit.

I'm sure if you asked Schrodimger and others in the 1920s what use their seemingly bizarre theory would have, they would not have had a clue. They couldn't have realised it would revolutionise the world

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

VirOptimus

A nihilist who cares.
Aug 24, 2005
✟250,677.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married

Science is a tool, and as such can be misused. However, when exploring physical reality its the best method we have.

Your arguments seem to stem from that you really dont understand what science is and what it isnt.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I am implying that you can't come up with a better method than the scientific method, and you have confirmed that conclusion for me.

That really depends on the nature of the problem, doesn't it? Our most pressing problems seem to be beyond the ability of science to solve. While the news occasionally reports some new scientific advance it constantly reports the failures of human nature. Perhaps science should pay more attention to those problems.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Site Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Yes, but those are your, underscore "your," problems. They are not at all problems in the real world of science.

That's pretty arrogant of science.

Upvote 0