Reactions: Jasma

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I knew there was another side to this story, I mentioned that in my previous responses to the initial article. The story did not feel complete. I do believe this Priest and I don't always take a Priest's word.

I feel this Woman and her girlfriend both had chips on their shoulders. This is my intuitive opinion only.

Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.
Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I knew there was another side to this story, I mentioned that in my previous responses to the initial article. The story did not feel complete. I do believe this Priest and I don't always take a Priest's word.

I feel this Woman and her girlfriend both had chips on their shoulders. This is my intuitive opinion only.

I was waiting to hear the priest's side and from what I can tell, I agree with your initial observation. Of course, something may still present itself and change our opinions though it is unlikely.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,410.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
According to canon law - the priest is the one who operates on giving the Eucharist and may with hold it due to knowing a sin.

In the face of Canonshttp://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P3.HTM 843, and 916, Canon 915 indeed authorizes withholding Communion from those who (a) obstinately, (b) persevere in (c) manifest (d') grave (d'') sin. Or in the case of canon 916 do have the opportunity to confess.

Having a lover in itself is mortal sin, having a lesbian lover is still a mortal sin.

Sorry again i disagree with the ppl who are trying to twist canon law to say something it does not.
She was not penitent. She was not looking for confession. She was in sin and made no moves to leave that sin.

Reactions: Jasma
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Jasma

Proud Pro-Lifer
May 25, 2005
Here n there ;)
✟50,331.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Please share the points, if any, that you think the Canon Lawyer Michie linked to erred on. Thanks!

According to canon law - the priest is the one who operates on giving the Eucharist and may with hold it due to knowing a sin.

In the face of Canonshttp://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P3.HTM 843, and 916, Canon 915 indeed authorizes withholding Communion from those who (a) obstinately, (b) persevere in (c) manifest (d') grave (d'') sin. Or in the case of canon 916 do have the opportunity to confess.

Having a lover in itself is mortal sin, having a lesbian lover is still a mortal sin.

Sorry again i disagree with the ppl who are trying to twist canon law to say something it does not.
She was not penitent. She was not looking for confession. She was in sin and made no moves to leave that sin.

Upvote 0

WarriorAngel

I close my eyes and see you smile
Site Supporter
Apr 11, 2005
United States Pennsylvania
Visit site
✟438,014.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
It need only be known to the priest of the mortal sin.
He does not need to know...

There was apparently no mention of Johnson’s possible lesbian activism, her cohabitation status (if any),

She introduced a lesbian lover and left. There was no move for penance. There was no desire to end the lover status. Lover is quite distinct. It does not carry a subjective term of misunderstanding nor is it a double entendre.
It is unmistakably a term used to suggest there is sex involved.

Sex outside of a heterosexual marriage is a mortal sin, no matter who it is.

This blogger is reaching - and mistaken.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The person that you call "this blogger" is a Canon Lawyer. Do you know what that is?

Be very careful.

It need only be known to the priest of the mortal sin.
He does not need to know...

She introduced a lesbian lover and left. There was no move for penance. There was no desire to end the lover status. Lover is quite distinct. It does not carry a subjective term of misunderstanding nor is it a double entendre.
It is unmistakably a term used to suggest there is sex involved.

Sex outside of a heterosexual marriage is a mortal sin, no matter who it is.

This blogger is reaching - and mistaken.

Upvote 0

Chany

Uncertain Absurdist
Nov 29, 2011
In bed
✟15,379.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The priest erred because he was making a snap judgement call on a woman he literally met for the first time and all he had to go off was the word "lover".

First off, the priest would have to assume "lover" equated to "sex". He can't assume things. Assuming guilt, even off of good evidence, is not allowed.

Second, the sin also has to be public. The priest had no knowledge of the family beforehand. Maybe the woman never revealed her relationship outside of her immediate family. Maybe the woman just started dating a few days before the funeral and no one except her nearest knew about it. We know now that it is public, but the priest didn't know back then.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
This is like somebody accused of murder...and the suspect says that they aren't a murderer but rather a rapist and a drunk.

Communion is offered to practicing Catholics, not practicing Buddhists. A fact that was come to be known later-on, but that fact alone should have watered down anyone upset with the priest, and should have made her complaint about not receiving communion dead.

Let's not make lover ambiguous. If somebody introduces their lover to you, the first thought that'll pop into your head is that they do the forbidden dance under the sheets. Honestly, when is lover used that doesn't mean sexual partner?

Upvote 0

Chany

Uncertain Absurdist
Nov 29, 2011
In bed
✟15,379.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
This is like somebody accused of murder...and the suspect says that they aren't a murderer but rather a rapist and a drunk.

Communion is offered to practicing Catholics, not practicing Buddhists. A fact that was come to be known later-on, but that fact alone should have watered down anyone upset with the priest, and should have made her complaint about not receiving communion dead.

Let's not make lover ambiguous. If somebody introduces their lover to you, the first thought that'll pop into your head is that they do the forbidden dance under the sheets. Honestly, when is lover used that doesn't mean sexual partner?

Uh, yeah, it doesn't water it down. The priest did not know at the time she was Buddhist, or she had a thing against the Church; he literally met her at the funeral.

Not saying lover does not point to it, but
a) there's always the slight possibility it doesn't
b) the public aspect of it was unknown

Upvote 0

Brooklyn Knight

On a narrow road but not narrow minded
Nov 21, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
✟13,065.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Others
Uh, yeah, it doesn't water it down. The priest did not know at the time she was Buddhist, or she had a thing against the Church; he literally met her at the funeral.

Honestly, think about it. She complained she didn't receive communion...and it's revealed later that she is a Buddhist. So...what's there to complain?

Not saying lover does not point to it, but
a) there's always the slight possibility it doesn't
b) the public aspect of it was unknown

What, girlfriend slip her mind? I have a girlfriend and I don't introduce her as my lover. I wouldn't do so especially in front of a priest.

Upvote 0

MikeK

Traditionalist Catholic
Feb 4, 2004
Wisconsin
✟90,821.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Honestly, think about it. She complained she didn't receive communion...and it's revealed later that she is a Buddhist. So...what's there to complain?

What, girlfriend slip her mind? I have a girlfriend and I don't introduce her as my lover. I wouldn't do so especially in front of a priest.

Nothing about the woman is relevant to the Priest's actions, we know she was in the wrong....but we ought not expect much from Buddhist lesbians. Only what the Priest knew at the time matters. If he acted wrongly, and it looks like he did, he should be corrected. We should expect a lot of our Priests.

Upvote 0

JacktheCatholic

Praise be to Jesus Christ. Now and forever.
Mar 9, 2007
Michigan, USA
Visit site
✟44,388.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Nothing about the woman is relevant to the Priest's actions, we know she was in the wrong....but we ought not expect much from Buddhist lesbians. Only what the Priest knew at the time matters. If he acted wrongly, and it looks like he did, he should be corrected. We should expect a lot of our Priests.

Priests do have a greater responsibility. But, it does seem that even a priest cannot always be above reproach. While I agree that the priest did not have sufficient reason, from a perfectly canonical standpoint, the decision was not necessarily so inappropriate to warrant such stiff penalties. If this was not so scandalizing to the Church I believe the Bishop would have advised only with out removing any faculties. But, with the great attention the media is giving this, it was a move to protect the Church from scandalization and so the priest will have to be persecuted for his role to a far greater extent to protect the Church, a sacrifice I hope many priests would be willing to make.

As to this woman... she obviousy was looking for a fight and both her and her lover wanted a battle with the Catholic Church and this poor priest was the unsuspecting victim IMO. This woman and her lover are in the wrong in many ways and it bothers me that the media is biased towards those doing wrong and starting this whole affair. Not o mention that it is getting so much media attention, which shows an anti-Catholic bias IMO.

So, I do agree with you MikeK and think your position is accurate. I just wish our news media was more objective and honest in their reporting. I think news has a responsibility to everyone to be honest and truthful and not biased so as to scandalize intentionally any one or any group simply because they disagree with them. I may be wrong but I suspect you agree?

Upvote 0