New Jersey
Visit site
✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The Phone Call that made a Difference

Tears filled Sarah’s eyes as she looked in the mirror at her sad face. She hated her reflection. She tried so hard to be who she wanted to be but she always failed. She went to her bedroom window and opened it and looked down 13 floors to the streets below. She saw the same old drug attics and drug dealers hanging on the corner. The same hookers walked up and down the streets. The same street people were drunkenly awakening squelching their eyes with the pain of their hangovers. She could hear her parents arguing again in the Kitchen and suddenly her brother burst into her room. "You stupid idiot, you told Teresa, I was dating her best friend." With these words he hurled a book across the room at her. It just missed her as she moved and it flew out the window. "Idiot, go get it. I need that book for class today. Its your fault, go get it our I'll knock your brains out," he said as he came across the room towards her. He grabbed her by the collar of her nightgown. She tried to free herself but she could not, then He flung her to the floor and spit in her face. Anger raged with in her. She wanted to kill him. As he left the room she slowly struggled to her feet. She imagined herself grabbing something and hitting him with it as hard as she could. She dressed herself to go down to the street and get her brothers book. As she was about to leave her room, she turned and looked at the window. Slowly, slowly again she walked to the window and looked down. "Jump, Jump," the voices in her head said strongly. She thought about her life. She had tried out for cheerleading that year and didn't succeed. Her grades were hopelessly falling in all her classes. She had stopped caring about weather she did good or not. She thought she could never be a success anyway. Her friends were always turning on her. She tried to help Teresa, her best friend who was dating her older brother and she only ratted on her. She remembered how she had made Teresa swear that she wouldn't tell her older brother that she had told her. Her own brother had spit in her face. Her parents were to busy arguing to even notice that the family had fallen apart. They were busy blaming one another for the failures of their children. Again she looked out the window and down at the streets below. It would be such a painless death. She'd be flying through the air, free from the pains of life. Free and then... crash, it would all be over. She could feel her heart beat quickening the more she thought about it.

On the other side of town was Tasha, a new Christian. She had been saved from a life of prostitution, drugs, depression and alcoholism and she was only 17. She had dropped out of school when she was 15 and ran away from home and hit the streets. She had hated herself and her life-style till one-day an older women came to her as she was getting out of one of her clients cars. The women stood with her on the corner and shared her testimony of how the Lord delivered her from an abusive marriage. The women explained in great detail how she had felt like nothing so she endured the abuse of her former husband as if she deserved it. She shared how she had hated her life, but when she found Jesus, she found out just how precious her life was. This woman told of the joys and the change that Jesus had brought into her life. She said how special she felt. Almost like a Queen or princess when before she had felt like worthless scum. Now she knew she was special and she was loved. This Jesus had helped her discover all the wonderful gifts she had with in. As Tasha listen she could identify with the feelings of self-worthlessness the women had felt. She hungered for the joy and the special love of God and self that this woman had found in Christ. She was angered because she thought she could never know this. So she asked the Lady to leave so she could get back to her business. The lady told her she wanted to sing a song to her and pray over her life before she left. The women sang an old children’s song that Tasha remembered from the days that her grandmother took her to church as a young child. She sang "Jesus loves you." As the women sang big tears ran down Tasha's cheeks. Then as the women prayed for her a deep passionate prayer Tasha found her self-weeping in the women’s arms. The women took her to a house that was a mission for young women trying to overcome addictive lifestyles. Everyday the women had come by to visit her and talk to her, sometimes for hours. This woman had become a mother to her. Now Tasha was released from the program and six months old in the Lord. She was living with the women who had shared the love of Christ with her. Everything was so new to her. She was not ready to go back on the streets yet; she thought the temptations and the old friends and connections might be to much for her. She knew the day was coming when she would hit the streets again only witnessing, but now wasn't the time. At the same time she felt a fire in her to share the good news with other people. As she was sitting by the telephone one day an idea suddenly struck her. "What about telephone evangelism." She had no idea what to say or how it would work. As she thought about it her heart began to race. No one would listen to her. They would all reject her. She hated rejections. She wondered if she was ready to face the rejection she knew she would endure.

Slowly, slowly she picked up the phone. "Lord, direct me to call the people you want to reach," she prayed with the faith of a babe in Christ. "Please Lord," help me. She dialed the first number. The operator came on saying that this number had been disconnected. She dialed the second number. A man answered. It sounded like an old man. Her heart raised and she didn't know what to say. "Jesus loves you," She quickly said then hung up the phone as fast as she could. "Oh Lord, I'm so sorry. Please help my nervousness she prayed." She took a break and read her Bible and prayed some more. Finally she made the phone call that would change her life. She prayed for guidance as she dialed the numbers. She asked the Lord to lead her to call someone young and close to her age.

Sarah had finally made a resolve in her heart to do it. She was going to jump out her bedroom window and enjoy the journey of flying through the air before she hit the ground. She wondered if her parents and brothers would miss her. She thought of the unpleasant mess her body would make on the ground below. She wondered how her parents would hold the funeral. It would definitely have to be a closed casket funeral. She thought of what picture they could sit on her casket at the funeral. She had to find a picture. Her best picture and she had to write a quick letter to say good-bye and give her family instructions for her funeral service. She went to her closet and pulled out her picture album. She sat on her bed and began searching for the right picture. Suddenly the phone rang. She wondered who it could be. Her curiosity got the best of her and she answered the phone. "Hello," came the shaky young voice on the other end. "I know this is going to sound super crazy, but please just hear me out. This phone call could change your life. My name is Tasha and I'm 17 years old." The girl went on to tell her about her life and how she had felt so worthless. She told how an older woman had shared Jesus with her and her whole life had been radically transformed. She began to ask Sarah questions. "Have you ever felt like your life is meaningless and worthless." For some odd reason, Sarah found herself answering this young stranger on the phone. Before long she found herself pouring out her feelings, problems and life situation with this young stranger. She was surprised to hear this young stranger crying for her as she prayed a compassionate prayer. Then the young stranger asked if she could sing a song over her. She allowed it and she heard a song she'd heard on the radio as a young child, that had really impacted her life when she heard it. It was an old children’s song. "Jesus loves you." Sarah listened as this young stranger spoke words of encouragement and inspiration to her and told how she knew that though man might fail her, Jesus never would. Sarah and Tasha became the best of friends. They came to find out they were the same age and their birthdays were only one week apart from each other. Needless to say Sarah gave her life to the Lord that day. This same Sarah is now leading the youth group at her church in Miami, Florida. It's amazing the change one bold person can bring when they share the love and compassion of Jesus Christ with someone else.

Though this story is fiction, there are many testimonies of people that are similar are more spectacular. You never know the difference your life and testimony can make in someones life. We must reach out to all and share the love and compassion of Jesus Christ.

May God's blessings be with you.

Author Unknown
Submitted by Richard
For more stories visit my external website on my home page.