The Lord is my rock!
Feb 25, 2016
United States
✟27,741.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I think we would really need to hone in on what we mean by "commercialized".. I am a list person, so I'll post something I found (see below).. The Passion story being shown on a major network, written by Godly people super intent on being as theologically accurate as humanly possible, (I haven't seen it, only heard this from Christian sources who sneak peaked) is AWESOME. My husband and I will watch it with our teens and pick it apart like Bereans. The lyrics sung by Michael W. Smith were a huge part of my growth in Christ early in my walk, so I'd watch it for the music alone!

Resurrection time (barely comfortable calling it Easter at this point, but that could be another topic) is when the History channel, and other "educational" channels love to air their garbage about Christianity and Jesus, for people like my 73-yr-old dad to watch and cause him to be more confused and lost than he already is... so... not about the money to me.

The following are contrasts between commercial Christianity and biblical Christianity:

1. Commercial Christian pastors preach culturally accommodating messages. Biblical Christian pastors preach culturally convicting messages (Acts 2:37-38; Acts 24:24-25).

2. Commercial Christianity encourages adherence to the status quo. Biblical Christianity encourages reformation of the status quo (Acts 17:6).

3. Commercial Christianity invites. Biblical Christianity proclaims (Acts 17:23).

4. Commercial Christianity converts people to their churches. Biblical Christianity converts people to Jesus (John 1:12-13; Acts 8:35).

5. Commercial Christianity encourages congregational membership. Biblical Christianity develops world-changing disciples (Acts 6:7; Matt. 28:19; 2 Tim. 2:2).

6. Commercial Christianity separates faith from public policy. Biblical Christianity applies the gospel to policy (Matt. 5:13-16).

7. Commercial Christianity is defined by the state. Biblical Christianity redefines the state of affairs (Dan. 4:19-37; Acts 8:4-8).

8. Commercial Christianity is complicit with the powers that be. Biblical Christianity casts down the ungodly powers that be (2 Cor. 10:3-5).

9. Commercial Christianity is a sweet-smelling savor to those who are perishing. Biblical Christianity is a sweet-smelling savor to those who are being saved (Phil. 2:15-16).

10. Commercial Christianity is not distinguishable from the world. Biblical Christianity lives in the world but is not of the world (John 17:14-15).

11. Commercial Christianity often uses biblical language for secular reasons. Biblical Christians often uses secular language for biblical reasons (1 Cor. 9:20-23).

12. Commercial Christianity is man-centered in its goals. Biblical Christianity is God-centered in its goals (Col. 1:15-18).

13. Commercial Christianity elicits praise only from people. Biblical Christianity brings favor from both God and people (Acts 2:47).

14. Commercial Christianity leaves a temporal imprint. Biblical Christianity leaves an eternal imprint (Heb. 11:4).

15. Commercial Christianity leaves a legacy of compromise. Biblical Christianity leaves a legacy of sacrificial commitment (2 Tim. 4:6-8).

16. Commercial Christianity attracts followers by compromising the truth. Biblical Christianity attracts followers through the promotion of the truth (Acts 2:40-41).

17. Commercial Christianity is one step away from being irrelevant. Biblical Christianity is always in or near revival (Acts 9:31).

18. Commercial Christianity accommodates a backslidden lifestyle. Biblical Christianity accommodates a lifestyle of faith, fidelity and freedom (John 8:31-36).

19. Commercial Christianity emphasizes hyper-grace without moral obligations. Biblical Christianity preaches a radical grace that produces radical sanctification (Titus 2:11-12; Rom. 8:3-4).

20. Commercial Christianity brings about a commitment to Sunday services. Biblical Christianity brings about commitment to a life of service (John 13:13-27).

21. Commercial Christianity invites people to make Jesus our personal Savior. Biblical Christianity admonishes people to surrender to Jesus as our Lord so He can save us (Rom. 10:9-10).

Last edited:
Upvote 0

twin1954

Baptist by the Bible
Jun 12, 2011
✟86,544.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Anyone going to watch this?

http://deadline.com/2015/12/the-passion-live-musical-jesus-tyler-perry-fox-1201667399/

Does it bother anyone to see Christ and Christianity commercialized? Would you call this commercializing Christianity...or is it simply promoting it?

Hate to sound like Judas when Mary dumped the year's worth of perfume on Christ...but wouldn't it be better to have this money go to the poor?
I wouldn't even watch it with your eyes. ;)

Actually it is impossible to portray the terrible way of death crucifying was. Moreover it is impossible to portray the person of the Lord Jesus. It is all an imaginary and false idea.

Upvote 0