Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
One of the reasons empires from the East have had such a hard time conquering Greece is because of the mountainous terrain and narrow passes. 300 Greek soldiers successfully guarded this pass (or a pass like it) against a large Persian army.

DSCF2913.JPG

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God. - Matthew 19:24

The pass to the kingdom of Heaven is also very strait and narrow. One cannot enter in as broad as an elephant. I believe once someone has said the sinners prayer he is saved... But there must be some discipleship somewhere to help such a one over the pass to spiritually experience that which he has professed. In which some call the process of sanctification. Once sanctified the individual is now set to travel through the pass and experience greater riches in the Holy Spirit and Christ Jesus. The Apostle Paul could tell how close folks were from entering in...

For I know the forwardness of your mind, for which I boast of you to them of Macedonia, that Achaia was ready a year ago; and your zeal hath provoked very many. - 2 Corinthians 9:2

I believe there is a point of arriving at eternal security... For some this is at salvation, for others it is a struggle...

rockytopva

Love to pray! :)
Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
In the Pilgrims Progress there is a porters house atop of the pass. The narrow strait is guarded by two lions...

"Now also he remembered the story that Mistrust and Timorous told him of, how they were frighted with the sight of the lions. Then said Christian to himself again, These beasts range in the night for their prey; and if they should meet with me in the dark, how should I shift them? how should I escape being by them torn in pieces? Thus he went on his way. But while he was bewailing his unhappy miscarriage, he lift up his eyes, and behold there was a very stately palace before him, the name of which was Beautiful, and it stood by the highway-side.

So I saw in my dream that he made haste, and went forward, that if possible he might get lodging there. Now before he had gone far, he entered into a very narrow passage, which was about a furlong off the Porter’s lodge, and looking very narrowly before him as he went, he espied two lions in the way. Now, thought he, I see the dangers that Mistrust and Timorous were driven back by. (The lions were chained, but he saw not the chains.) Then he was afraid, and thought also himself to go back after them; for he thought nothing but death was before him. But the Porter at the lodge, whose name is Watchful, perceiving that Christian made a halt, as if he would go back, cried unto him, saying, Is thy strength so small? Mark 4:40. Fear not the lions, for they are chained, and are placed there for trial of faith where it is, and for discovery of those that have none: keep in the midst of the path, and no hurt shall come unto thee.

Then I saw that he went on, trembling for fear of the lions, but taking good heed to the directions of the Porter; he heard them roar, but they did him no harm. Then he clapped his hands, and went on till he came and stood before the gate where the Porter was. Then said Christian to the Porter, Sir, what house is this? and may I lodge here to-night? The Porter answered, This house was built by the Lord of the hill, and he built it for the relief and security of pilgrims. The Porter also asked whence he was, and whither he was going." - The Pilgrims Progress

PProg_26_p57_TheLionsWereChained.jpg

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
And in relation to the Pilgrims Progress...

The Wicket Gate - Salvation
The Interpreters House (IH) - Sanctification
The Cross - If the discipleship at the IH is good, the burdens will drop at the sight of the cross
Difficulty Hill - Leading to the pass at Thermopylae. You must leave a whole lot behind to pass this eye of the needle!
The Porters House - The Witness of the Spirit - Which we Pentecostals believe can be accompanied with the speaking of tongues.

As in my pictured brother below... We all are aware when one has passed the Porters House, it all shows on the countenance!

Dallas_zps81e23487.jpg

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
And in relation to the Pilgrims Progress...

The Wicket Gate - Salvation
The Interpreters House (IH) - Sanctification
The Cross - If the discipleship at the IH is good, the burdens will drop at the sight of the cross
Difficulty Hill - Leading to the pass at Thermopylae. You must leave a whole lot behind to pass this eye of the needle!
The Porters House - The Witness of the Spirit - Which we Pentecostals believe can be accompanied with the speaking of tongues.
The Valleys - Trials and testing
Vanity Fair - The witness to this world

Well, Christian passed through the straight and the narrow at the 'Pass of Thermopylaes.' He then attained Witness of the Spirit at the Porters House and survived the valleys. As the pathway began to rise he spots one running.

"At this Christian was somewhat moved, and putting to all his strength, he quickly got up with Faithful, and did also overrun him; so the last was first. Then did Christian vaingloriously smile, because he had gotten the start of his brother; but not taking good heed to his feet, he suddenly stumbled and fell, and could not rise again until Faithful came up to help him." - The Pilgrims Progress

The Good Christian Faithful was very quick in journeying through the Pass of Thermopyle. I can imagine that the good mans faith enlightened his way so he could go through with little hindrances.

"Yes, and the lions too, before I came at it. But, for the lions, I think they were asleep, for it was about noon; and because I had so much of the day before me, I passed by the Porter, and came down the hill." - Faithful at the Pass of Thermopylae

So by faith we pass through and it is a torch that lights our way and makes the journeying all the more easier.

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
If there is another fellow along the way his name is called "Little-Faith." Little-faith has a rough time on the journey and is often times beaten up along the way...

Then said Christian to his fellow, Now I call to remembrance that which was told me of a thing that happened to a good man hereabout. The name of the man was Little-Faith; but a good man, and he dwelt in the town of Sincere. The thing was this. At the entering in at this passage, there comes down from Broadway-gate, a lane, called Dead-Man’s lane; so called because of the murders that are commonly done there; and this Little-Faith going on pilgrimage, as we do now, chanced to sit down there and sleep. Now there happened at that time to come down the lane from Broadway-gate, three sturdy rogues, and their names were Faint-Heart, Mistrust, and Guilt, three brothers; and they, espying Little-Faith where he was, came galloping up with speed. Now the good man was just awaked from his sleep, and was getting up to go on his journey. So they came up all to him, and with threatening language bid him stand. At this, Little-Faith looked as white as a sheet, and had neither power to fight nor fly. Then said Faint-Heart, Deliver thy purse; but he making no haste to do it, (for he was loth to lose his money,) Mistrust ran up to him, and thrusting his hand into his pocket, pulled out thence a bag of silver. Then he cried out, Thieves, thieves! With that, Guilt, with a great club that was in his hand, struck Little-Faith on the head, and with that blow felled him flat to the ground, where he lay bleeding as one that would bleed to death. All this while the thieves stood by. But at last, they hearing that some were upon the road, and fearing lest it should be one Great-Grace, that dwells in the town of Good-Confidence, they betook themselves to their heels, and left this good man to shift for himself. Now, after a while, Little-Faith came to himself, and getting up, mashift to scramble on his way.

“Poor Little-Faith! hast been among the thieves?
Wast robb’d? Remember this, whoso believes,
And get more faith; then shall you victors be
Over ten thousand-else scarce over three.” - The Pilgrims Progress

At last for one called Great Grace, without which Little-Faith would have long ago perished along the way. Little-Faith being beaten and robbed along the Kings highway...
bid-him-stand.jpg

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
"My honored and well-beloved brother Faithful, I am glad that I have overtaken you, and that God has so tempered our spirits that we can walk as companions in this so pleasant a path." - Christian

God has tempered our spirits... Faithful indeed seems to be a different breed of Christian altogether from Christian...

1. He seemly had no need for either the interpreters house (sanctification)
2. Or indeed for the porters house (Witness of the Spirit)

It seems that Salvation set in with Faithful as the good seed takes to the good ground... Immediately! I have a good friend that has a garden where he is already, here in June, growing hot peppers almost a foot long. So it is with Faithful, the seed takes good root at Salvation and the journey is quick and immediate.

We as a family moved from place to place until we settled down in the Northwest for a few years. My parents bought me a Yamaha dirt bike and I would have tons of fun riding both winter and summer. One Sunday, while riding my bike in the early AM a church bus stopped and the driver yelled at me that I needed to be in church. The man’s name was Rod Moxely and the church was called the Fellowship Baptist church in Whitmore Lake, Michigan.

Rod Moxely, like Faithful, was a type where the salvation set in immediately. One day a drunk... The next day a saint! In the Pilgrims Progress Christian is usually imaged with full armor, but Faithful imaged as just an ordinary man, yet with a pleasant countenance...
8f1aa1a3790e453b77eaae13bc3a58d1.jpg

Upvote 0

rockytopva

Supporter
Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
✟1,056,135.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
John Bunyan's teachings was the foundations to the Wesleyan/Pentecostal revival...

1. The Evangelist - Comes to town to lead a revival
2. The Wicket Gate - Directs souls to Christ
3. The Interpreters House - Instructs souls in Bible doctrine
4. Difficulty Hill - Helps souls up the hill to acquire the witness of the Spirit
5. The Pass at Thermopylae - Helps souls through the eye of the needle and into the kingdom of Heaven (where lions guard the way)
6. The Porters House - Soul attains Witness of the Spirit

And now we can label the saved soul... Man of God!

Upvote 0