1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

2. Please check out our two newest forums, the "Buy, Sell or Trade" (link ) forum in the Society Category, and the "Conspiracy Theories" (link) forum in our Discussion and Debate Category.

The origin of the word Lucky is lucifer

Discussion in 'Spirit-Filled / Charismatic' started by ydouxist, Jan 15, 2010.

1. Leah

Leah 2 Corinthians 5:21

Marital Status:
    Single
    Faith:
    Christian
    I prefer God's favor over luck ANY day. :D

2. pinkputter

pinkputter unending love, amazing grace

Faith:
    Christian
    So as Christians should we not use the word "luck" in general communication to people?

I actually never thought of it till now, but seeing this post makes me see some truth in that. It's one thing to well wish some one, but the enemy is found all over our society...electronics, health (disease), and even yes, how we communicate. I think a better way to say pretty much the same thing is, "I will be praying for you about __________" fill in blank.

Good point you brought up.

3. ydouxist

ydouxist Senior Veteran

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Republican
    Faith:
    Christian-Seeker
    Last week I reconnected with a friend on FB I haven't seen in almost 40 yrs.
    He said he had been "Lucky" in life in regards to his Dad still being alive.
    My response was "Blessed" is a better word.
    He said "Well I'm an Atheist so I'll stick with luck"

4. JimB

JimB Legend

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    I believe there is such a thing as luck. Call it luck, or happenstance, or chance, or whatever you like, but unpredictable things just happen. Your theology my say that God micro-manages everything but I would say that in this world of freewill, good (or bad) luck often happens because we were in the right place, with the right equipment, at the right time.

I found these quotes about luck:
    Sure, luck means a lot in football. Not having a good quarterback is bad luck. (Don Shula)

I believe in luck: how else can you explain the success of those you don't like? (Jean Cocteau)

Success is simply a matter of luck. Ask any failure. (Earl Wilson)

Luck is what happens when preparation meets opportunity. (Darrell Royal)

The harder I work the luckier I get. (Samuel Goldwyn)
    ~Jim

“We were made not primarily that we may love God but that God may love us. ~C.S. Lewis

5. Assyrian

Assyrian Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    Eccles 9:11 Again I saw that under the sun the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, nor bread to the wise, nor riches to the intelligent, nor favour to those with knowledge, but time and chance happen to them all.

6. JimB

JimB Legend

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Christian
    :thumbsup: I knew there was a scripture in there somewhere.

-

7. gratefulgrace

gratefulgrace Contributor

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    CA-Conservatives
    Faith:
    Pentecostal
    It can become a cliche either way. Good luck or be blessed. Just like saying Take care. I remember quite a few years ago a big brouhaha about that. The implication being we were exhorting them to TAKE CARE (as in worry and care) and as Christians we should never do that. I think the general meaning is take care of yourself not take on worry and stress. As Christians we are blessed by God but I don't think there are any rules about how we address other folks.

8. Assyrian

Assyrian Basically pulling an Obama (Thanks Calminian!)

Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    "I hope it goes well" is another useful phrase.