The opposite of Love and can hate be a good thing?

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I have suggested hate is the opposite of Love. 98 suggested indifference was the opposite of love. I have suggest indifference is being luke warm, neither cold nor hot.

98 suggested God tell us to hate, but i would suggested in every case the word hate in the bible refers to reject as it does with Esau and not the emotion of hate.

Demons hate and i have had a few or so try to possess me. in My life I have never seen hate used for good. i can honestly say I have never hated, i have started too, but God just would not let that in my heart.

It has been said hate evil, i would suggest it means reject evil. what is hate? A fire like anger, Now God has said the anger of man does not produce service to the lord and it causes trouble, how much more so would hate?

I suggest that hate is evil and can not be used for good.

what are your thoughts?

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
I hate evil. So does God.
Was going to ask for verses to be provided, but my point allows for me to be the one to do that...
Psalms 97
10 Ye that love the LORD, hate evil: he preserveth the souls of his saints; he delivereth them out of the hand of the wicked.

Proverbs 8
13 The fear of the LORD is to hate evil: pride, and arrogancy, and the evil way, and the froward mouth, do I hate.

Isaiah 45
7 I form the light, and create darkness: I make peace, and create evil: I the LORD do all these things.
People make these things a stumblingblock. They have their own idea of God, and cannot understand the truth according to the scriptures, because it does not add up for them.

We should be careful not to try to pigeonhole God the way we like to pigeonhole people. Maybe things are not exactly the way our narrow view makes them seem!

Not sure about the point of the OP, as what one study turns up as opposites, may be different than what another will, simply because of the premise that it uses. There is a validity to each for the reasons we have seen. I would not assume (as some fractured understanding of God and people seem to go) that Hammster hates God because God created evil.

It is important not to make a simple equation out of every precept of scripture.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Well let's not twist hate into reject because we just dont like the connotation!

Let's look a the greek from Romans 12:9

English:

Romans 12:9New International Version (NIV)

Love in Action
9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.

Greek:

Ἡ ἀγάπη ἀνυπόκριτος. ἀποστυγοῦντες τὸ πονηρόν, κολλώμενοι τῷ ἀγαθῷ:

ἀποστυγέω,v \{ap-os-toog-eh'-o}

1) to dislike, abhor, have a horror of

Strong's Greek: 655. ????????? (apostugeó) -- to abhor

So I looked up the Greek for 'hate' proper...and found this

Strong's Greek: 3404. ????? (miseó) -- to hate

Used here:

Luke 14:26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple.

Εἴ τις ἔρχεται πρός με καὶ οὐ μισεῖ τὸν πατέρα ἑαυτοῦ καὶ τὴν μητέρα καὶ τὴν γυναῖκα καὶ τὰ τέκνα καὶ τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς καὶ τὰς ἀδελφάς, ἔτι τε καὶ τὴν ψυχὴν ἑαυτοῦ, οὐ δύναται εἶναί μου μαθητής.

μισέω,v \{mis-eh'-o}
1) to hate, pursue with hatred, detest 2) to be hated, detested

Again, my summary claim is that you cannot Love God and not hate/abhor evil.

Upvote 0

BrokenWarrior

Just a Messenger
Dec 29, 2014
Where ever my Lord's work is to be done.
✟8,157.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
I agree with 98, I agree it is odd to say, as believers, we "Hate" anything. But , at least in my own experience, "Hating" Evil both sounds and feels right...

As long as our Love of God and Brethren is greater eh?

-The Lowest Servant

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Well let's not twist hate into reject because we just dont like the connotation!

Let's look a the greek from Romans 12:9

English:

Romans 12:9New International Version (NIV)

Love in Action
9 Love must be sincere. Hate what is evil; cling to what is good.

Greek:

Ἡ ἀγάπη ἀνυπόκριτος. ἀποστυγοῦντες τὸ πονηρόν, κολλώμενοι τῷ ἀγαθῷ:

ἀποστυγέω,v \{ap-os-toog-eh'-o}

1) to dislike, abhor, have a horror of

Strong's Greek: 655. ????????? (apostugeó) -- to abhor

So I looked up the Greek for 'hate' proper...and found this

Strong's Greek: 3404. ????? (miseó) -- to hate

Used here:

Luke 14:26 “If anyone comes to me and does not hate father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even their own life—such a person cannot be my disciple.

Εἴ τις ἔρχεται πρός με καὶ οὐ μισεῖ τὸν πατέρα ἑαυτοῦ καὶ τὴν μητέρα καὶ τὴν γυναῖκα καὶ τὰ τέκνα καὶ τοὺς ἀδελφοὺς καὶ τὰς ἀδελφάς, ἔτι τε καὶ τὴν ψυχὴν ἑαυτοῦ, οὐ δύναται εἶναί μου μαθητής.

μισέω,v \{mis-eh'-o}
1) to hate, pursue with hatred, detest 2) to be hated, detested

Again, my summary claim is that you cannot Love God and not hate/abhor evil.

So you did research and now you see how hate can mean reject, while others in there post presumed to know my motivation"That i did not like the word hate" they are wrong and it is based on biblical fact.

We were taught this in school. The verses Jacob I have Loved but Esau I have hated, we spend much time addressing this and how it misleads people to thinking in predestination that God hates some one before they have a chance or that God hates people. We Go back to the Hebrew and find Love is closer to accept, and hate is actually closer to reject. So the verse would read this Jacob I have accepted but Esau I have rejected. So I had the thought maybe where it says hate in other cases it is really saying reject, you could apply the same with some parts of Love. Love God with all your heart, Accept God with all your heart, the value is the same.

So if in the verse of Esau the Hebrew means reject, maybe also in other places? I guess we would have to look at the strongs.

let look at luke it could not possibly mean hate.

I like the NLT Luke 26

26 “If you want to be my disciple, you must hate everyone else by comparison—your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple.

Here we see it is not actually suggesting hate, there are a couple problems with that. For one if you hate a fellow believer you can not Love God 1 john 4. end of chapter.
So now we have a conflict with your train of thought that the word hate means hate. If so God's word is in conflict, and we Know The Holy Spirit, God The Father and The Son never conflict. So God's word does not conflict it is with out error, so who is in error? easy, Man. But the NLT does not suggest the word means hate because of this conflict. second conflict if you hate your mother or father you are not honoring them. That means breaking the commandment to Honor your parents. Third conflict if you hate any one you are guilty of breaking the greatest commandment. Love one another as I have Loved you Jesus said or Love each other as your self. How do you hate some one even and evil man and love them too? easy you say hate the sin not the man, but the unsaved man there is only sin and they serve sin so you are hating the man indirectly. Can not get around it. Jesus said love your enemy, how do you love the wicked man if you hate him? Are you suggesting wicked does not mean evil we know it does mean evil. So if you hate evil you can not love the evil man. So i must be mad right because I say not to hate evil, nope not Mad, God is saying reject evil. use reject and put that into the equations. If I reject the evil man I can still love him. If my son does wrong I rebuke Him, but I still love him. You can not love and hate at the same time, another conflict. My Mom is wicked, so am I, But I love my mom very very much and honor her, how ever I have broken off contact unless God gives me a message to deliver to her. I reject her but love her. Did God not warn about what company you keep? My Mom now she hates me, wants my destruction, SHe has narcissistic personality disorder and this is classic of these people with children. One Golden child who become just like the parent and One Black sheep, escape goat,bahhh that's me. I watch as her hate and my brothers hate destroy them, because that is what hate does. God never meant hate.

I am well versed in hate, i refuse to hate anything, not because I am strong mighty man. I am wretched soul, But my God is Almighty and He is my keeper.

If I am wrong no big deal, but if I am right then hate could cost you your soul. But I am not wrong.

Love not hate

here is the strongs, see that detest but that is not the same emotions as hate, see under 3404 "hence, denounce" denounce another word for reject. The meaning is reject.

miseó: to hate
Original Word: μισέω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: miseó
Phonetic Spelling: (mis-eh'-o)
Short Definition: I hate, detest
Definition: I hate, detest, love less, esteem less.
HELPS Word-studies
3404 miséō – properly, to detest (on a comparative basis); hence, denounce; to love someone or something less than someone (something) else, i.e. to renounce one choice in favor of another.

Lk 14:26: "If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate (3404 /miséō, 'love less' than the Lord) his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple" (NASU).

[Note the comparative meaning of 3404 (miséō) which centers in moral choice, elevating one value over another.]

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,728,693.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
5 The boastful shall not stand before your eyes; you hate all evildoers.
6 You destroy those who speak lies; the LORD abhors the bloodthirsty and deceitful man.
Psalms 5:5-6

While we could understand this as "reject", I think it would be difference without a distinction.

Upvote 0

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Bluelion. To me to be without Love, is shallow and without feeling.
God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters.
In Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus tells us: The first and great Commandment is;
Love God with all our hearts, with all our souls, and with all our minds.
The second is like it; Love our neighbour as we love ourselves. Then Jesus gives us this great statement: "On these two Commandments hang all the Law
and the Prophets." The Bible tells us: " Repent and be Born Again," which means: Give up our old nature of selfishness, and change into the men and women which God wants us to be: loving and caring, always friendly and ever helpful. This does not come easy to us, but it can be done with the help of the Holy Spirit and of Jesus our Saviour. Matthew 7: 7-10: tells us: " ask and you shall receive," here we ask God for Love and Joy, then thank God, and share all love and joy with our neighbour: all we know and all we meet, friends and not friends. We keep asking and receiving, then thank God and share all love and joy with our neighbour. We might stumble and forget at times, but then we ask God to forgive us, and carry on doing God`s Will.
I say this with love, Bluelion, the opposite of Love is to be without Love.
Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

Avid

A Pilgrim and a Sojourner...
Sep 21, 2013
✟13,263.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
From a different thread,

I really think indifference is the opposite of love actually. Hate is still an emotion to feel towards something, but to feel nothing for something, to me, is the opposite of loving it...
There is definite support for this opinion. I am not sure if it can be stated exclusively as such, but it is supported in the letter to one Church in particular.
Revelation 3
15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
If we are truly concerned about one thing being the opposite and not another, here is support for the opinion, at least...

God says that being lukewarm makes God sick to His stomach, and he vomits them out. Not completely convinced that that is really OPPOSITE, but it has a foundation of scriptural support that can be argued. This is in contrast with scripture that may show the that something else is OPPOSITE.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
So you did research and now you see how hate can mean reject, while others in there post presumed to know my motivation"That i did not like the word hate" they are wrong and it is based on biblical fact.

We were taught this in school. The verses Jacob I have Loved but Esau I have hated, we spend much time addressing this and how it misleads people to thinking in predestination that God hates some one before they have a chance or that God hates people. We Go back to the Hebrew and find Love is closer to accept, and hate is actually closer to reject. So the verse would read this Jacob I have accepted but Esau I have rejected. So I had the thought maybe where it says hate in other cases it is really saying reject, you could apply the same with some parts of Love. Love God with all your heart, Accept God with all your heart, the value is the same.

So if in the verse of Esau the Hebrew means reject, maybe also in other places? I guess we would have to look at the strongs.

let look at luke it could not possibly mean hate.

I like the NLT Luke 26

26 “If you want to be my disciple, you must hate everyone else by comparison—your father and mother, wife and children, brothers and sisters—yes, even your own life. Otherwise, you cannot be my disciple.

Here we see it is not actually suggesting hate, there are a couple problems with that. For one if you hate a fellow believer you can not Love God 1 john 4. end of chapter.
So now we have a conflict with your train of thought that the word hate means hate. If so God's word is in conflict, and we Know The Holy Spirit, God The Father and The Son never conflict. So God's word does not conflict it is with out error, so who is in error? easy, Man. But the NLT does not suggest the word means hate because of this conflict. second conflict if you hate your mother or father you are not honoring them. That means breaking the commandment to Honor your parents. Third conflict if you hate any one you are guilty of breaking the greatest commandment. Love one another as I have Loved you Jesus said or Love each other as your self. How do you hate some one even and evil man and love them too? easy you say hate the sin not the man, but the unsaved man there is only sin and they serve sin so you are hating the man indirectly. Can not get around it. Jesus said love your enemy, how do you love the wicked man if you hate him? Are you suggesting wicked does not mean evil we know it does mean evil. So if you hate evil you can not love the evil man. So i must be mad right because I say not to hate evil, nope not Mad, God is saying reject evil. use reject and put that into the equations. If I reject the evil man I can still love him. If my son does wrong I rebuke Him, but I still love him. You can not love and hate at the same time, another conflict. My Mom is wicked, so am I, But I love my mom very very much and honor her, how ever I have broken off contact unless God gives me a message to deliver to her. I reject her but love her. Did God not warn about what company you keep? My Mom now she hates me, wants my destruction, SHe has narcissistic personality disorder and this is classic of these people with children. One Golden child who become just like the parent and One Black sheep, escape goat,bahhh that's me. I watch as her hate and my brothers hate destroy them, because that is what hate does. God never meant hate.

I am well versed in hate, i refuse to hate anything, not because I am strong mighty man. I am wretched soul, But my God is Almighty and He is my keeper.

If I am wrong no big deal, but if I am right then hate could cost you your soul. But I am not wrong.

Love not hate

here is the strongs, see that detest but that is not the same emotions as hate, see under 3404 "hence, denounce" denounce another word for reject. The meaning is reject.

miseó: to hate
Original Word: μισέω
Transliteration: miseó
Phonetic Spelling: (mis-eh'-o)
Short Definition: I hate, detest
Definition: I hate, detest, love less, esteem less.
HELPS Word-studies
3404 miséō – properly, to detest (on a comparative basis); hence, denounce; to love someone or something less than someone (something) else, i.e. to renounce one choice in favor of another.

Lk 14:26: "If anyone comes to Me, and does not hate (3404 /miséō, 'love less' than the Lord) his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be My disciple" (NASU).

[Note the comparative meaning of 3404 (miséō) which centers in moral choice, elevating one value over another.]

So if I just love evil less...then Im good?

Reactions: Hammster
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have suggested hate is the opposite of Love. 98 suggested indifference was the opposite of love. I have suggest indifference is being luke warm, neither cold nor hot.

98 suggested God tell us to hate, but i would suggested in every case the word hate in the bible refers to reject as it does with Esau and not the emotion of hate.

Demons hate and i have had a few or so try to possess me. in My life I have never seen hate used for good. i can honestly say I have never hated, i have started too, but God just would not let that in my heart.

It has been said hate evil, i would suggest it means reject evil. what is hate? A fire like anger, Now God has said the anger of man does not produce service to the lord and it causes trouble, how much more so would hate?

what are your thoughts?
Before I comment...I am not baptist but have never had a problem posting before. I am non denom from birth, currently church of the brethren member. If anyone has a problem please just ask me to leave.

I have been in deep study of biblical Love for about 7 years now. In that study, the best definition I can find is...Love is putting another above self in an act of humility, creating a covenant whose intent/purpose is reconciliation/restoration.

That being said, the OP asks two questions...what is the opposite of Love...the opposite of love is not hate as per our definition but pride. that being said, worldly anger comes from pride, iow's it is the root cause. Consider James 4:1 and I Cor. 3:3 pride and the old nature are what keeps us from Loving others. When we get rid of our pride and in that discover true Love, there is no sin, which brings us to the second question about hatred.

I John 3:15 and I John 4:20 tell us that we cannot hate and still be living in the victory of the HS. But hate is different from anger, consider Ephesians 4:26 we can be angry and yet not sin. Hatred according to websters a : intense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear, anger, or sense of injury
b : extreme dislike or antipathy : loathing <had a great hate of hard work>

whereas Websters defines anger as...: filled with anger : having a strong feeling of being upset or annoyed

: showing anger

: seeming to show anger : threatening or menacing

IOW's hatred is always toward a person and does not always have a root cause whereas anger is toward something someone did, which is a huge difference.

One more thing we might want to talk about on this topic is the one scripture where God is said to hate Esau....as a God who sees into the future, he saw what would come from Esau much like our biblical understanding of God being a jealous God.

Well, don't want to wear out my welcome....those are my thoughts for what it's worth.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So what if we look at Romans and Malachi where it says that God loves Jacob and hates Esau as opposites, what then does it say? It says that God has strong feelings about both...but look at I Cor. 13, Love is much more than just a strong feeling.

Point being that it is only in making Love and hate opposites that there seems to be a problem. When we stop trying to make them opposites, the problems with understanding seem to fall away as well....at least that is how I am seeing things, unless of course I am missing something important that is being said here.

Upvote 0

98cwitr

Lord forgive me
Apr 20, 2006
Raleigh, NC
✟449,894.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Eh I kinda see pride but see which of the following statements is a logical fallacy:

I love pride
I love indifference

I attest that you cannot love the opposite of love ;)

Opposites must be paradoxical when joined and an oxymoron.

Upvote 0

razzelflabben

Contributor
Nov 8, 2003
Ohio
✟122,293.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Eh I kinda see pride but see which of the following statements is a logical fallacy:

I love pride
I love indifference

I attest that you cannot love the opposite of love ;)

Opposites must be paradoxical when joined and an oxymoron.
:confused: It appears you are applying the worlds definition here which is confusing if we are talking about the Biblical definition for Love. IOW's the above statements seem to be saying "a strong emotional connection to" which is a decent worldly definition of Love. But Biblically, Love is much more than an emotion, it is also an action and an attitude and much more. So how would I have a strong, favorable action toward pride or indifference? how about an attitude?

Love in the bible is always toward someone, whereas your comment is geared toward something...thus making it two different meanings of love.

Let's further apply some of the characteristics of Love to your comments above...I Cor. 13...Love is patient, how can we be patient with pride or indifference? Love is kind, love does not think of itself....see, the characteristics of Love listed in I Cor. 13 don't apply either, which is further evidence there is a problem with our understanding of love.

Upvote 0

pilgrim42

Oct 2, 2011
Jacksonville, FL
✟8,036.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

what are your thoughts?

The opposite of love is not hate. The opposite of love is indifference.
Hate, in fact, is a form of love, since you cannot hate what you have not previously loved, or which has not hurt or wounded or threatened that which you love. Hate is love bent out of shape. Hate is love which is itself wounded. Hate is love broken or betrayed, tortured or defiled, raped or murdered, molested or mutilated. Hate is love when confronted by injustice, or by violence, or by cruelty or by hate. Hate breeds hate, just as love breeds love. Hate is love grown bitter. It is love roused to anger. It is love forced to witness the destruction of innocence. It is love in shackles. It is love enslaved. It is love deprived of hope or freedom or a say over its future. It is love humiliated, made to crawl, love whose spirit is broken. It is love’s ache at the loss of a loved one. It is love’s rebellion at the corrosion of liberty. It is love’s stand against the darkness of repression.
Hate is love’s wound.

Ken :bow:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Dear Bluelion. To me to be without Love, is shallow and without feeling.
God is Love, and God wants loving sons and daughters.
In Matthew 22: 35-40: Jesus tells us: The first and great Commandment is;
Love God with all our hearts, with all our souls, and with all our minds.
The second is like it; Love our neighbour as we love ourselves. Then Jesus gives us this great statement: "On these two Commandments hang all the Law
and the Prophets." The Bible tells us: " Repent and be Born Again," which means: Give up our old nature of selfishness, and change into the men and women which God wants us to be: loving and caring, always friendly and ever helpful. This does not come easy to us, but it can be done with the help of the Holy Spirit and of Jesus our Saviour. Matthew 7: 7-10: tells us: " ask and you shall receive," here we ask God for Love and Joy, then thank God, and share all love and joy with our neighbour: all we know and all we meet, friends and not friends. We keep asking and receiving, then thank God and share all love and joy with our neighbour. We might stumble and forget at times, but then we ask God to forgive us, and carry on doing God`s Will.
I say this with love, Bluelion, the opposite of Love is to be without Love.
Greetings from Emmy, your sister in Christ.

thank you Emmy always a joy. I am afraid I do not fully understand. Are you saying to feel nothing at all is the opposite of Love? If that is what you are saying I see your point.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
From a different thread,

There is definite support for this opinion. I am not sure if it can be stated exclusively as such, but it is supported in the letter to one Church in particular.
Revelation 3
15 I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot.
16 So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.
If we are truly concerned about one thing being the opposite and not another, here is support for the opinion, at least...

God says that being lukewarm makes God sick to His stomach, and he vomits them out. Not completely convinced that that is really OPPOSITE, but it has a foundation of scriptural support that can be argued. This is in contrast with scripture that may show the that something else is OPPOSITE.

I can now see 98 point, however I am afraid the verse do not support your claim. God says here it is worse to be luke warm that God would prefer you be good or evil but not luke warm. it does not say luke warm is evil.

got to run i'll address more later.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Before I comment...I am not baptist but have never had a problem posting before. I am non denom from birth, currently church of the brethren member. If anyone has a problem please just ask me to leave.

I have been in deep study of biblical Love for about 7 years now. In that study, the best definition I can find is...Love is putting another above self in an act of humility, creating a covenant whose intent/purpose is reconciliation/restoration.

That being said, the OP asks two questions...what is the opposite of Love...the opposite of love is not hate as per our definition but pride. that being said, worldly anger comes from pride, iow's it is the root cause. Consider James 4:1 and I Cor. 3:3 pride and the old nature are what keeps us from Loving others. When we get rid of our pride and in that discover true Love, there is no sin, which brings us to the second question about hatred.

I John 3:15 and I John 4:20 tell us that we cannot hate and still be living in the victory of the HS. But hate is different from anger, consider Ephesians 4:26 we can be angry and yet not sin. Hatred according to websters a : intense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear, anger, or sense of injury
b : extreme dislike or antipathy : loathing <had a great hate of hard work>

whereas Websters defines anger as...: filled with anger : having a strong feeling of being upset or annoyed

: showing anger

: seeming to show anger : threatening or menacing

IOW's hatred is always toward a person and does not always have a root cause whereas anger is toward something someone did, which is a huge difference.

One more thing we might want to talk about on this topic is the one scripture where God is said to hate Esau....as a God who sees into the future, he saw what would come from Esau much like our biblical understanding of God being a jealous God.

Well, don't want to wear out my welcome....those are my thoughts for what it's worth.

thank you for your post. its not a core belief we are debating so you should be fine here.

I have not found anger come from pride at least with me. I get angry because i am hurt. Its either cry or get angry. pride has to do with the ego, the ego is the enemy of God.

We studied the Hebrew in class about Esau the word love is closer to accept and word hate is reject. Esau was rejected because he cared nothing for his birth right, he also had a big ego.

Upvote 0

Bluelion

Peace and Love
Oct 6, 2013
Pa
✟6,506.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The opposite of love is not hate. The opposite of love is indifference.
Hate, in fact, is a form of love, since you cannot hate what you have not previously loved, or which has not hurt or wounded or threatened that which you love. Hate is love bent out of shape. Hate is love which is itself wounded. Hate is love broken or betrayed, tortured or defiled, raped or murdered, molested or mutilated. Hate is love when confronted by injustice, or by violence, or by cruelty or by hate. Hate breeds hate, just as love breeds love. Hate is love grown bitter. It is love roused to anger. It is love forced to witness the destruction of innocence. It is love in shackles. It is love enslaved. It is love deprived of hope or freedom or a say over its future. It is love humiliated, made to crawl, love whose spirit is broken. It is love’s ache at the loss of a loved one. It is love’s rebellion at the corrosion of liberty. It is love’s stand against the darkness of repression.
Hate is love’s wound.

Ken :bow:

True love is none of those things, God is Love could you apply those to God? 1 cor 13 tells us what love is.

Noe everyone knows Love and you can not love with out God. The bible says he who does not know love does not know God for God is Love 1 john 4:8 So everyone knows God? so is everyone saved then?

The Bible says there are those who love sin and evil more than God, but i don't believe means true love here for 1 cor says love is kind so how can you be cruel and unjust as evil and yet be kind also. So maybe God meant instead of Love maybe it is accept. that would make more sense they accept evil and sin.form john 3:19 the word love

agapaó: to love
Original Word: &#7936;&#947;&#945;&#960;&#940;&#969;
Transliteration: agapaó
Phonetic Spelling: (ag-ap-ah'-o)
Short Definition: I love
Definition: I love, wish well to, take pleasure in, long for; denotes the love of reason, esteem.
HELPS Word-studies
Cognate: 25 agapá&#333; – properly, to prefer, to love; for the believer, preferring to "live through Christ" (1 Jn 4:9,10), i.e. embracing God's will (choosing His choices) and obeying them through His power. 25 (agapá&#333;) preeminently refers to what God prefers as He "is love" (1 Jn 4:8,16). See 26 (agap&#275;).

With the believer, 25 /agapá&#333; ("to love") means actively doing what the Lord prefers, with Him (by His power and direction). True 25 /agapá&#333; ("loving") is always defined by God – a "discriminating affection which involves choice and selection" (WS, 477). 1 Jn 4:8,16,17 for example convey how loving ("preferring," 25 /agapá&#333;) is Christ living His life through the believer.

see the part in bold, take pleasure in, see we are no longer talking about 1 cor 13 definition of love, but of taking pleasure in the darkness, pleasure in, not the feeling of love, that is just one quality. Maybe God gave us the definition of love for a reason?

Lets look at hate for a min john 3:19- is say they hate the light, that does not put the feeling of hate in a good light.

In another part 1 john 4 if you hate your christian brother or sister and say you love God you are a lair, if you can not love your brother who you see you can not love God who you do not see.

doesn't seem like hate is a good thing to me.

Upvote 0