W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I know many people are traditionalists and believe that traditional assemblies, which are in a face to face atmosphere such as in a church building, are the only true assembly. I would challenge you to rethink this understanding however. We cannot use scripture to undermine the importance of an online assembly because then we undermine the importance of assembly itself. This online assembly is more important than a traditional assembly because the whole world is watching. This is no small thing. We must arm our conscience with this understanding. The scriptures say not to strive with words to no profit, to the ruining of the hearers. It says that we give no offence in anything that the ministry not be blamed. If we want to be a worker that needs not be ashamed then we must put down things that cause division and quarrels. Politics and other such things are not our concern. These things only cause debate, contention and give offence to many people inside and outside the Church. We are about the gospel of peace, not contention. God is not the author of confusion and contention. We must strive to have one mind, one voice, glorifying and thanking God, with love in our hearts for each other and those outside. Love is a deep well of understanding and takes a mature mind to understand it and to apply it. It is no small thing but is very deep. Lets stir each other up to love and good works as paul says, instead of stirring up debate, contention and foolish arguments. WE must set aside foolish debates over things that we dont understand either. If its not a command then why debate it? The world is watching, and all that matters is the command to love and glorify God. Love and glorify God. That is what matters most.

Thats only part of the issue though. This online assembly is our chance to meet daily, and to edify and exhort each other. Its also a way for us to sow to the spirit by loving each other. I need that and so do many others. We need this. The spiritual folks need to be examples for those who are still struggling, and in the end we all need to be examples for each other. A little leaven leavens the whole lump. Love can spread like a freshly seeded field of flowers, or hate can spread like a field of weeds. What field do we want to plant here? Flowers or weeds? WE must help each other. I need your help. Others need your help. Help us. Edify me with your love and maybe i can in turn edify you or someone else. Lets take the word seriously. Lets put Gods word to the test and watch it grow. Test all things brothers and sisters. This doesn't mean debate, but it means to apply the word right here and right now. Lets examine ourselves, test ourselves. Lets do what is good and honorable, and what is good for others and ourselves too. Lets love each other. Lets plant a field that we need not be ashamed of. Thank you. May the Lord bless us all.

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I know many people are traditionalists and believe that traditional assemblies, which are in a face to face atmosphere such as in a church building, are the only true assembly. I would challenge you to rethink this understanding however. We cannot use scripture to undermine the importance of an online assembly because then we undermine the importance of assembly itself.
It's not actually an 'assembly', OK? A bunch of people who don't know each other and are connected only by electronics are not an 'assembly.'

Upvote 0

Rick Otto

The Dude Abides
Nov 19, 2002
On The Prairie
✟29,593.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
It's not actually an 'assembly', OK? A bunch of people who don't know each other and are connected only by electronics are not an 'assembly.'
But a bunch of casual aquaintences connected by being in the same room IS?
They don't neccesarily NOT know each other, and the electronics enable long term in depth discussion not available in one or two hours of "brick & mortar connection".
I have seen way more connection take place online than in church.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private

WE have real time communication together, its not like we are pen pals writing back and fourth through the mail. Why is it that we can pray for each other here, but not exhort and edify each other? Why cant we glorify God together? Aren't those things what an assembly is for?

Reactions: Winken
Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I know many people are traditionalists and believe that traditional assemblies, which are in a face to face atmosphere such as in a church building, are the only true assembly. I would challenge you to rethink this understanding however. We cannot use scripture to undermine the importance of an online assembly because then we undermine the importance of assembly itself. This online assembly is more important than a traditional assembly because the whole world is watching. This is no small thing. We must arm our conscience with this understanding. The scriptures say not to strive with words to no profit, to the ruining of the hearers. It says that we give no offence in anything that the ministry not be blamed. If we want to be a worker that needs not be ashamed then we must put down things that cause division and quarrels. Politics and other such things are not our concern. These things only cause debate, contention and give offence to many people inside and outside the Church. We are about the gospel of peace, not contention. God is not the author of confusion and contention. We must strive to have one mind, one voice, glorifying and thanking God, with love in our hearts for each other and those outside. Love is a deep well of understanding and takes a mature mind to understand it and to apply it. It is no small thing but is very deep. Lets stir each other up to love and good works as paul says, instead of stirring up debate, contention and foolish arguments. WE must set aside foolish debates over things that we dont understand either. If its not a command then why debate it? The world is watching, and all that matters is the command to love and glorify God. Love and glorify God. That is what matters most.

Thats only part of the issue though. This online assembly is our chance to meet daily, and to edify and exhort each other. Its also a way for us to sow to the spirit by loving each other. I need that and so do many others. We need this. The spiritual folks need to be examples for those who are still struggling, and in the end we all need to be examples for each other. A little leaven leavens the whole lump. Love can spread like a freshly seeded field of flowers, or hate can spread like a field of weeds. What field do we want to plant here? Flowers or weeds? WE must help each other. I need your help. Others need your help. Help us. Edify me with your love and maybe i can in turn edify you or someone else. Lets take the word seriously. Lets put Gods word to the test and watch it grow. Test all things brothers and sisters. This doesn't mean debate, but it means to apply the word right here and right now. Lets examine ourselves, test ourselves. Lets do what is good and honorable, and what is good for others and ourselves too. Lets love each other. Lets plant a field that we need not be ashamed of. Thank you. May the Lord bless us all.
How do you celebrate the Lord's Supper and baptise in an online assembly?

Without these two things, it will be deficient, and will always come second to the actual church we attend in real life. Not to mention the vast difference between speaking/typing online and interacting with people face to face.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
How do you celebrate the Lord's Supper and baptise in an online assembly?

Without these two things, it will be deficient, and will always come second to the actual church we attend in real life. Not to mention the vast difference between speaking/typing online and interacting with people face to face.

I understand your concern. Im more interested in the importance of this online assembly, not the assembly found in a church building. The Church building is not in question. There is no need to debate that. It's off topic. Im trying to show the importance of this assembly.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
WE have real time communication together, its not like we are pen pals writing back and fourth through the mail. Why is it that we can pray for each other here, but not exhort and edify each other? Why cant we glorify God together? Aren't those things what an assembly is for?
Those are some of the things, yes.

Tell us about your observance of the Lord's Supper, which Christ told us to observe. And who is the pastor? The New Testament makes quite a lot out of proper leadership.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I understand your concern. Im more interested in the importance of this online assembly, not the assembly found in a church building. The Church building is not in question. There is no need to debate that. It's off topic. Im trying to show the importance of this assembly.
I think the online assembly is nice, but always second to our actual church, and I don't think it's important for people who don't use online assemblies at all.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Those are some of things, yes. Tell us about your observance of the Lord's Supper, which Christ told us to observe. And who is the pastor? The New Testament makes quite a lot out of proper leadership.

No, thats not the topic of the thread . The topic is the greater importance of this assembly. Is it more important to go to Church but then come online and act differently? IM talking about glorifying God here and letting our light shine. Your Church isnt in the spot light but this forum is. Lets stick with the online assembly and not talk about church buildings and sacraments, ok? NO one is discrediting sacraments here. ITs not the issue at all. So please lets not go there.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I think the online assembly is nice, but always second to our actual church, and I don't think it's important for people who don't use online assemblies at all.

I think every day is equally important and every place we find ourselves in is equally important. Nothing is ever second. WE are who we are no matter where we find ourselves. If we only think that Church is an assembly then we are just acting, being fake. WE are who we are no matter where we are. WE dont put sunday clothes on, go to church on sunday, and glorify God that way. No sir, we glorify God everywhere. We thank him and love each other and glorify him everywhere. A good rule is, that if you wont do it in Church then dont do it in public.

Reactions: Hank77
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
I think every day is equally important and every place we find ourselves in is equally important. Nothing is ever second. WE are who we are no matter where we find ourselves. If we only think that Church is an assembly then we are just acting, being fake. WE are who we are no matter where we are. WE dont put sunday clothes on, go to church on sunday and glorify God that way. No sir, we glorify God everywhere. We than him and love each other everywhere. A good rule is, that if you wont do it in Church then dont do it in public.
I've already explained why. Lord's Supper, baptism, and as @Albion also pointed out, a pastor.

These are reasons why an online assembly should be far below on my list of priorities when compared to church.

Upvote 0

W2L

Jun 26, 2016
USA
✟213,573.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I've already explained why. Lord's Supper, baptism, and as @Albion also pointed out, a pastor.

These are reasons why an online assembly should be far below on my list of priorities when compared to church.

That shows why you priorities are incorrect. Our priorities should be to glorify God and let our light shine. If that is not a priority then why are you even here? Whats the point then? The traditional thinking is covering our eyes with cobwebs and our ears as well. We cant even hear the clanging gong that is heard from this place.

ITs wrong to dismiss the importance of this assembly. If you see no value in it, then you havent learned anything in Church at all.

Upvote 0

Sultan Of Swing

Jan 4, 2015
✟9,476.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single
That shows why you priorities are incorrect. Our priorities should be to glorify God and let our light shine. If that is not a priority then why are you even here? Whats the point then? The traditional thinking is covering our eyes with cobwebs and our ears as well. We cant even hear the clanging gong that is heard from this place.

ITs wrong to dismiss the importance of this assembly. If you see no value in it, then you havent learned anything in Church at all.
Not traditional thinking, just reading what the Bible says on what the church is.

Reactions: Albion
Upvote 0

Albion

Facilitator
Dec 8, 2004
✟583,842.00
Country
United States
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married

Nonsense. What you have is an online Bible Study group. It's not a de facto church.

Reactions: Open Heart
Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The "online church" has great ecumenical potential IMHO. I know, its hard to tell on these forums with the strict denominationalists/anti-denominaitonalist bickering back and forth in 5 million threads on their church being the true church and everyone else is not.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.