Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I thought it would be interesting to look at the opposites of the acts of the sinful nature listed in Galatians 5 since the fruits of the Spirit listed in Galatians 5 are not the exact opposites of the acts of sinful nature.

Galatians 5:21 "...they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God."

I know at times I struggle with lustful thoughts and fantasies, sometimes I struggle with being kind, I can be quite unagreeable at times, sometimes I'm not content, sometimes I get angry and lose my temper, sometimes I can be pretty opinionated and consequentially unagreeable, sometimes I can be a contributor to the cause of a lack of unity...

So...does this mean I will not inherit the kingdom of God?

Votes are anonymous.

From Galatians 5:19-21

sexual immorality / impurity / lustful pleasures = pure
sorcery (drug use) = soberness
hostile = kind
quarreling = agreeable
jealous = content
outbursts of anger = calmness
selfish ambition = caring
dissension (conflict of opinion)= agreement
division = unity
envy = contentment
drunkenness = soberness

jeolmstead

-That’s me in the corner, losing my religion
Apr 27, 2006
Memphis, TN USA
✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The kingdom of God is about more than personal salvation. Jesus said three things about it.

1) it is coming
2) it is near
3) it is here

In each of our lives in Christ we experience these aspects of the kingdom.

A believer may live in the world, for him, it is coming,

A believer may struggle against his carnal passions, for him it is near,

A believer can overcome, for him it is here

(I think I’ve experienced all three aspects in one day)

The kingdom is about “God’s way” of doing things.

The carnal man does not have the kingdom because he chooses to have things his own way.

Oddly, It is really not as much about what you do, as it is why you do it.

A Pharisee will think of himself as pure, sober, kind, agreeable, contented, calm, caring, agreeable, in unity, and sober. He will have rules established to measure and maintain these things. He will justify himself by these rules and condemn those who break them.

Yet, it is the same flesh that drives him.

It would be better for him if he displayed the “obvious acts”

John O.

Reactions: GrapeGirl
Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
The kingdom of God is about more than personal salvation. Jesus said three things about it.

1) it is coming
2) it is near
3) it is here

In each of our lives in Christ we experience these aspects of the kingdom.

A believer may live in the world, for him, it is coming,

A believer may struggle against his carnal passions, for him it is near,

A believer can overcome, for him it is here

(I think I’ve experienced all three aspects in one day)

The kingdom is about “God’s way” of doing things.

The carnal man does not have the kingdom because he chooses to have things his own way.

Oddly, It is really not as much about what you do, as it is why you do it.

A Pharisee will think of himself as pure, sober, kind, agreeable, contented, calm, caring, agreeable, in unity, and sober. He will have rules established to measure and maintain these things. He will justify himself by these rules and condemn those who break them.

Yet, it is the same flesh that drives him.

It would be better for him if he displayed the “obvious acts”

John O.

Interesting Post!

In my life I think I have jumped between all three in your list.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
I thought it would be interesting to look at the opposites of the acts of the sinful nature listed in Galatians 5 since the fruits of the Spirit listed in Galatians 5 are not the exact opposites of the acts of sinful nature.

Galatians 5:21 "...they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God."

I know at times I struggle with lustful thoughts and fantasies, sometimes I struggle with being kind, I can be quite unagreeable at times, sometimes I'm not content, sometimes I get angry and lose my temper, sometimes I can be pretty opinionated and consequentially unagreeable, sometimes I can be a contributor to the cause of a lack of unity...

Votes are anonymous.

hostile = kind
quarreling = agreeable
jealous = content
division = unity
envy = contentment
drunkenness = soberness

Many do suffer from adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outburst of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissension, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the LIKE (such things) will not inherit the Kingdom of God. Our inheritance is "ETERNAL EVERLASTING LIFE"!

But, when we confess and repent our sins and ask for forgiveness, and forgive and love others, then the "Fruit of the Spirit" will be evident.

We run a race of endurance, a very narrow path with many wide gates of destruction, and we know that in 1 John 3:9 if we are born again we don’t sin.

But, it all comes down in what you are doing; the fruit of your tree will be the deciding factor as well.

You commit sin and you don’t confess and repent it verbally to our Lord Jesus Christ, then you are in peril.

But, if you really and truly do confess and repent, and really and truly repent; and know that you really and truly forgive and love one another, and you really and truly believe in our Lord Jesus Christ.

Then why are you worrying?

Upvote 0
Dec 18, 2003
✟11,355.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Many do suffer from adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lewdness, idolatry, sorcery, hatred, contentions, jealousies, outburst of wrath, selfish ambitions, dissension, heresies, envy, murders, drunkenness, revelries, and the LIKE (such things) will not inherit the Kingdom of God. Our inheritance is "ETERNAL EVERLASTING LIFE"!

But, when we confess and repent our sins and ask for forgiveness, and forgive and love others, then the "Fruit of the Spirit" will be evident.

We run a race of endurance, a very narrow path with many wide gates of destruction, and we know that in 1 John 3:9 if we are born again we don’t sin.

But, it all comes down in what you are doing; the fruit of your tree will be the deciding factor as well.

You commit sin and you don’t confess and repent it verbally to our Lord Jesus Christ, then you are in peril.

But, if you really and truly do confess and repent, and really and truly repent; and know that you really and truly forgive and love one another, and you really and truly believe in our Lord Jesus Christ.

Then why are you worrying?

What if I lose my temper and I have a heart attack before I can repent?

Upvote 0

jeolmstead

Apr 27, 2006
Memphis, TN USA
✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
What if I lose my temper and I have a heart attack before I can repent?

Part of what I said in another thread:

If good works can’t make you a Christian, how can “Bad” works take away your Christianity?

I was saved by grace, every sin past, present and future when I came to Christ.

Saying I’m sorry to God when I mess up is what I do because I love Him, not because I’m afraid He will reject me if I don’t.

My faith is not in confession, if it is, that is a work, my faith is in Christ. He is my perfection. It is His gift to me.

John O.

Upvote 0

jeolmstead

Apr 27, 2006
Memphis, TN USA
✟22,092.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The obvious acts of the sinful nature are what everyone else sees.

The obvious acts of the Kingdom are the ones that nobody even knows about.

QFT

(Very Good!)

John O.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

NaLuvena

Nov 18, 2008
Apia, Samoa
✟10,557.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Voted for the 1st option, because the Kingdom is inherited by the children of the King. I'm a child as I believe.

John 1:12-13

12Yet to all who received him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God— 13children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband's will, but born of God.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Votes are anonymous.

hostile = kind
quarreling = agreeable
jealous = content
division = unity
envy = contentment
drunkenness = soberness

All these things are of the flesh. You will reap in the flesh that which you sow in the flesh. If you do these things, your flesh will reap corruption. You may even die young.
Since you spirit cannot do these things... off to heaven with it.

Upvote 0

WileyCoyote

Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
✟54,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
I don't believe in the "Dual Nature" doctrine. I don't believe that the children of God have a sin nature because the Bible says we have a new nature. How can a sin nature and a transformed nature exist in the same vessel? Either you are a new creature, or you are not. Look up 'sin nature' in the scriptures; you will not find it. If people feel they can't help but to sin, maybe they need to renew their minds so they can get rid of that destructive mindset.

Upvote 0

SavedByGrace3

Jesus is Lord of ALL! (Not asking permission)
Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2002
Midlands
Visit site
✟562,881.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I don't believe in the "Dual Nature" doctrine. I don't believe that the children of God have a sin nature because the Bible says we have a new nature. How can a sin nature and a transformed nature exist in the same vessel? Either you are a new creature, or you are not. Look up 'sin nature' in the scriptures; you will not find it. If people feel they can't help but to sin, maybe they need to renew their minds so they can get rid of that destructive mindset.
You are exactly correct.

Upvote 0

Elijah2

No weapons formed against me will prosper.
Aug 15, 2006
Australia
✟26,096.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married

Hi Wiley,

You need to have a good read of Matt. 13 on the Parable of the Sower, etc. From there you will see that there are two heart soils that produce six types of Christians, such as wayside, stony, and thorny who are half-hearted, and lukewarm. The other three are the 30-fold, 60-fold, and 100-fold Christians.

The first three are the easy catches of Satan and his forces through snares and SELF.

The other three fail, fall, and sin, they are not sinless, but the 100-fold is the best of the all who are the mature Christians. I could go into more detail.

When we come to our Lord Jesus Christ we are no long conformed to the world, but to overcome and conquer those worldly things that are still encrusted into our life we have to transform and renew our carnal mind (our brain), and our spiritual mind (our heart).

The narrow path isn't so simple as you make it out to be.

That is why there are so many warnings throughout His Word about not giving place to the enemy, etc., etc., after all Satan and his forces roam around like a roaring lion seeking to devour those first four Christians.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

WileyCoyote

Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
✟54,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
Hi Wiley,

You need to have a good read of Matt. 13 on the Parable of the Sower, etc. From there you will see that there are two heart soils that produce six types of Christians, such as wayside, stony, and thorny who are half-hearted, and lukewarm. The other three are the 30-fold, 60-fold, and 100-fold Christians.

The first three are the easy catches of Satan and his forces through snares and SELF.

The other three fail, fall, and sin, they are not sinless, but the 100-fold is the best of the all who are the mature Christians. I could go into more detail.

When we come to our Lord Jesus Christ we are no long conformed to the world, but to overcome and conquer those worldly things that are still encrusted into our life we have to transform and renew our carnal mind (our brain), and our spiritual mind (our heart).

The narrow path isn't so simple as you make it out to be.

That is why there are so many warnings throughout His Word about not giving place to the enemy, etc., etc., after all Satan and his forces roam around like a roaring lion seeking to devour those first four Christians.
I don't believe it is easy. I said I don't believe Christians have a sin nature. Our spirits are re-created at conversion, but our minds aren't. We have to renew our minds, like you said. This is a lifelong journey. This doesn't mean we have a sin nature though. The phrase cannot be found anywhere in the Bible.

Christians don't have a sin nature. Christians who sin do so because they choose to, not because they have to. A Christian who sins has no excuses because there is no sin nature to blame. Christians who blame a supposed sin nature for their sins are attributing their misdeeds to something that doesn't exist.

However, I'm more honest. Whenever I have sinned, I did it because I wanted to. I yielded thought by thought until I ended up doing it. It was my fault. I know, it's hard to admit when you are wrong and people need to find someone or something to blame when they screw up (Adam and Eve, for example) If we can be mature enough to admit when we mess up, go to God and find forgiveness, we can grow and mature in the Lord to the point where years down the road, we are no longer living in sin at all. An excuse is nothing but a explanation designed to keep you where you are.

Upvote 0

Leimeng

Sep 25, 2004
Arizona USA
✟1,772.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Politics
US-Republican
~ Well, the devil knows and believes that Jesus is Savior, but I am pretty sure that he will NOT inherit the Kingdom of God.
~ Too much focus is placed on Jesus being Savior to the exclusion of Jesus being LORD! Jesus is LORD and Savior. For most people though, Jesus is their Savior but they never make Him LORD.
~ It changes the scope of the entire question and resultant answers when thought about for a while.
~ Continue to discuss amongst yourselves...

Peace,

Leimeng

Flatulo Ergo Sum ~~~

(***Insert Personal One Liner Here***)

Upvote 0

pinetree

Mar 17, 2008
USA
✟13,825.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

If we dont have 2 natures,then why renew the mind?

Why would it need renewing,if there was not something to make for a struggle?

Galatians 5:13
You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love.

Romans 7:25
Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

Romans 7:17
As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me

Colossians 3:5
Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.

Galatians 5:17
For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

I dunno,seems like sin,aroused by the law operates somewhere..

I guess we dont need an advocate with the Father??

Last edited:
Upvote 0

WileyCoyote

Contributor
Dec 4, 2007
✟54,975.00
Country
United States
Faith
Word of Faith
Marital Status
Single
If we dont have 2 natures,then why renew the mind?

Why would it need renewing,if there was not something to make for a struggle?

You, my brothers, were called to be free. But do not use your freedom to indulge the sinful nature; rather, serve one another in love.

Romans 7:25
Thanks be to God—through Jesus Christ our Lord! So then, I myself in my mind am a slave to God's law, but in the sinful nature a slave to the law of sin.

Romans 7:17
As it is, it is no longer I myself who do it, but it is sin living in me

Colossians 3:5
Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry.

Galatians 5:17
For the flesh lusteth against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh: and these are contrary the one to the other: so that ye cannot do the things that ye would.

I dunno,seems like sin,aroused by the law operates somewhere..

I guess we dont need an advocate with the Father??

Ah, brother. Your use of contextomy as well as successfully incorporating many logical fallacies into one post astounds me. By your reasoning, we have two natures, working simultaneously in one body. So are we schizo? What does NEW NATURE mean? From what I understand, if we can abide in Jesus, we can live a sin free life. It is only when we make the CHOICE to step away from Jesus that we are capable of sinning.

"Whosoever abideth in him sinneth not: whosoever sinneth hath not seen him, neither known him.Little children, let no man deceive you: he that doeth righteousness is righteous, even as he is righteous. He that committeth sin is of the devil; for the devil sinneth from the beginning. For this purpose the Son of God was manifested, that he might destroy the works of the devil." (1 John 3:6-8)

If we abide in Jesus, we will SIN NOT. How much clearer do we need the scriptures to be? Also note that I included more than one scripture, since I don't like to quote out of context like some people I know. :p

"For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another."

Galatians 5:1-16
Stand fast therefore in the liberty wherewith Christ hath made us free, and be not entangled again with the yoke of bondage. Behold, I Paul say unto you, that if ye be circumcised, Christ shall profit you nothing. For I testify again to every man that is circumcised, that he is a debtor to do the whole law. Christ is become of no effect unto you, whosoever of you are justified by the law; ye are fallen from grace. For we through the Spirit wait for the hope of righteousness by faith. For in Jesus Christ neither circumcision availeth any thing, nor uncircumcision; but faith which worketh by love. Ye did run well; who did hinder you that ye should not obey the truth? This persuasion cometh not of him that calleth you. A little leaven leaveneth the whole lump. I have confidence in you through the Lord, that ye will be none otherwise minded: but he that troubleth you shall bear his judgment, whosoever he be. And I, brethren, if I yet preach circumcision, why do I yet suffer persecution? then is the offence of the cross ceased.I would they were even cut off which trouble you. For, brethren, ye have been called unto liberty; only use not liberty for an occasion to the flesh, but by love serve one another. For all the law is fulfilled in one word, even in this; Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself. But if ye bite and devour one another, take heed that ye be not consumed one of another.This I say then, Walk in the Spirit, and ye shall not fulfil the lust of the flesh.

This is actually a reiteration of my point. Taken in context, the verse you quoted does not say we have a sin nature. It is saying to stand firm and not be entangled AGAIN with the yoke of bondage. (sin) The passage is actually speaking about love being a fulfillment of the whole law. If we walk in the Spirit, we shall NOT fulfil the lust of the flesh. (v. 16) The passage is admonishing us to stay in the Spirit, something we have a choice to do. This passage actually PROVES my point. As Christians, sin knocks at our door but we have power over sin AND the devil.

"For sin shall not have dominion over you: for ye are not under the law, but under grace." (Romans 6:14)

Oh, and I noticed that you provided links for all of your other quoted verses but you didn't for this one. Why is that? You quoted the NIV translation, correct? Isn't there a footnote at the end of 'sinful nature' in the NIV translation? The footnote is an indication that 'sinful nature' was a questionable translation. Since you didn't provide a link, I will include the footnote here, for all to see.

Galatians 5:13 Or the flesh; also in verses 16, 17, 19 and 24. (Source: http://www.biblegateway.com/passage/?search=galatians 5:13;&version=31)

Ah, so 'sinful nature' is really translated 'flesh'. This is the word used in the King James version. This word 'flesh' comes from the greek word sarx and this speaks of our fleshly appetites, our animalistic cravings which desire to be fed, without any suggestion of depravity.(Source:http://www.blueletterbible.org/lang/lexicon/lexicon.cfm?Strongs=G4561&t=NIV)

Simply put, it is the POWER OF SIN, but it is not a sin nature. This power dwells IN us but it is NOT us. The flesh can incite, or tempt us to sin but it is not part of our personalities. The reason for this is simple. Our bodies were not 'born again' after our conversion. We didn't enter into our mother's bodies to be born a second time as newborn babies. When we became born again, our SPIRITS were re-created, not our flesh. Our flesh remained the same. We still get sick, we still get hungry, thirsty, we still have to eventually die. We are capable of sinning because we live in a corruptible vessel. But being capable of sinning is not equated with having a sin nature, or being a sinner. That is why we are told to walk in the spirit. 'Sin nature' depicts the old man, the man we used to be before Jesus saved us. But Jesus saved us and re-created our spirits and gave us a new nature. Therefore, we are not sinners or have a sin nature. We are the righteousness of God in Jesus.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.