1. Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Less Advertisements! Members see fewer ads and have the option to upgrade their account to ad free!

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon and God Bless!

Featured The Negative Impact of Purity Culture

Discussion in 'Christian Philosophy & Ethics' started by Tetra, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Tetra

Tetra Active Member

Ratings:
    +129
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    There is currently no single unified definition of purity culture. I had to modify this definition since this is a family friendly forum, and the definition from where I got it had some inappropriate language for here. If you look up the definition, they're usually fairly similar in nature. :)

2. Root of Jesse

Root of Jesse Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord CF Ambassadors

Ratings:
    +1,968
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Freedom needs to be defined. Freedom, real freedom, is the unfettered ability to do what is right, not the ability to do whatever you want to do...
    God gave us free will-the ability to do what is right. When Eve used her free will to do what is wrong, she was punished.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • List
  3. Root of Jesse

Root of Jesse Admiral of the Fleet/First Sea Lord CF Ambassadors

Ratings:
    +1,968
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    In the Catholic Church it is a covenant between the couple and God.

4. 2PhiloVoid

2PhiloVoid Just doing my part to clear the air of Smaug!

Ratings:
    +625
    Marital Status:
    Married
    Faith:
    Christian
    I would say that compared to the accommodation which the Playboy Philosophy (among other ideas) has received, the part of American culture that reveres virginity is rather tiny and of very modest influence. In fact, it kind of makes Tetra's concern nearly a moot point in my estimation.

Peace,
    2PhiloVoid

5. FireDragon76

FireDragon76 Sinning Boldly

Ratings:
    +1,191
    Marital Status:
    In Relationship
    Faith:
    Lutheran
    It's indeed a small, weird segment of evangelicalism, and not representative of the best. The Quiverfull movement is also like this. It has a lot of that fundamentalist counter-cultural hostility going on.

My Orthodox priest I used to have had an aura of this sort of thing. He lived in an evangelical bubble most of his life. It was obvious he tried to break out of it at some point but he never did completely, even when he converted to Orthodoxy. Honestly that sort of thing is very damaging, it really damages your sense of empathy and ability to relate to ordinary people.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List