Leah

2 Corinthians 5:21
May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I got all this from the back of my NASB and hope it encourages you even more. Alot of good stuff in this study bible of mine.
thumbsup.gif

Those who know the name of the Lord will put their trust in Him (Psalm 9:10).

The Names of God

1. Alpha and Omega - Revelation 1:8

2. Beginning and the End - Isaiah 41:4

3. First and the Last - Revelation 1:8 & 17

4. Jehovah Jireh - the Lord my Provider (Genesis 22:13-14)

5. Jehovah Nissi - the Lord my Banner (Exodus 17:15)

6. Jehovah Shalom - the Lord of Peace (Judges 6:24)

7. Jehovah Tsidkenu - the Lord our Righteousness (Jeremiah 23:6)

8. Jehovah - self existing One, I AM (Exodus 3:14)

9. Elohim - Strong One (1 Samuel 5:2-4)

10. Adonai - Lord (Psalm 40:8, Philippians 2:13)

11. El Elyon - the Most High God/the Strongest One (Isaiah 14:13-14)

12. El Roi - the Strong One who sees (Genesis 16:3)

13. El Shaddai - Almighty God (Genesis 17:1-20)

14. El Olam - Everlasting God (Isaiah 40:28)

15. Jehovah Sabbaoth - the Lord of hosts (1 Samuel 1:3)

16. Jehovah Maccaddeshcem - the Lord thy Sanctifier (Exodus 31:13)

17. Jehovah Raah - the Lord mhy Shephard (Psalm 23:1)

18. Jehovah El Gmolah - the Lord God of Recompense (Jeremiah 51:56)

19. Jehovah Nakeh - the Lord that smites (Ezekiel 7:9)

20. Jehovah Shammah - the Lord who is Present (Ezekiel 48:35)

Mediate on how all this applies to believers. Remember, God is the One who's in control and this whole world belongs to Him.
clap.gif

Reactions: Rose_bud

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I love that! How 'bout the Name above every name, the Name of Jesus?

J = Jehovah in flesh

E = expiatory power

S = sacrificial Lamb

U = understanding - Christ the wisdom of G-d

S = Savior! Yup, He's got all the bases covered

Also, Faithful and True, and the Word of God

Reactions: Rose_bud
Upvote 0

Rose_bud

Great is thy faithfulness, O God my Father...
Apr 9, 2010
South Africa
✟31,058.00
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Married
Isaiah 10:6

(what about these names)
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and His name shall be called Wonderful, Counseller, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace
:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Jehovah Shalom was already revealed in Isaiah's time, but Wonderful Counselor? Not til 120 were in one mind and one accord, something the 120 members of the Jewish Great Assembly could never achieve ..

The root and offspring (or Branch) of Jesse

The Branch

The Vine

Lilly of the Valley

Rose of Sharon

Back to Isaiah - the Servant who shall deal prudently. Since that "prudence" refers to one death taking the place of all of humanity, we might call that an understatement, but G-d just calls it "prudent."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Azureknight 773

IXA the Knight Kamen Rider
Apr 26, 2009
Canmanico, Valencia, Bohol
✟44,295.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
I got all this from the back of my NASB and hope it encourages you even more. Alot of good stuff in this study bible of mine.
thumbsup.gif

Those who know the name of the Lord will put their trust in Him (Psalm 9:10).

The Names of God

1. Alpha and Omega - Revelation 1:8

2. Beginning and the End - Isaiah 41:4

3. First and the Last - Revelation 1:8 & 17

4. Jehovah Jireh - the Lord my Provider (Genesis 22:13-14)

5. Jehovah Nissi - the Lord my Banner (Exodus 17:15)

6. Jehovah Shalom - the Lord of Peace (Judges 6:24)

7. Jehovah Tsidkenu - the Lord our Righteousness (Jeremiah 23:6)

8. Jehovah - self existing One, I AM (Exodus 3:14)

9. Elohim - Strong One (1 Samuel 5:2-4)

10. Adonai - Lord (Psalm 40:8, Philippians 2:13)

11. El Elyon - the Most High God/the Strongest One (Isaiah 14:13-14)

12. El Roi - the Strong One who sees (Genesis 16:3)

13. El Shaddai - Almighty God (Genesis 17:1-20)

14. El Olam - Everlasting God (Isaiah 40:28)

15. Jehovah Sabbaoth - the Lord of hosts (1 Samuel 1:3)

16. Jehovah Maccaddeshcem - the Lord thy Sanctifier (Exodus 31:13)

17. Jehovah Raah - the Lord mhy Shephard (Psalm 23:1)

18. Jehovah El Gmolah - the Lord God of Recompense (Jeremiah 51:56)

19. Jehovah Nakeh - the Lord that smites (Ezekiel 7:9)

20. Jehovah Shammah - the Lord who is Present (Ezekiel 48:35)

Mediate on how all this applies to believers. Remember, God is the One who's in control and this whole world belongs to Him.
clap.gif

Hey! You forgot Yahweh/Jehovah Rapha, which means "GOD HEALS", Yahweh Sabaoth, "the LORD of hosts", Yahweh/Jehovah Jireh, which means "GOD PROVIDES", Yahweh/Jehovah Makkadesh "The Lord Who Sanctifies" and a whole lot more.

Upvote 0

Leah

2 Corinthians 5:21
May 26, 2005
✟7,700.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Hey! You forgot Yahweh/Jehovah Rapha, which means "GOD HEALS", Yahweh Sabaoth, "the LORD of hosts", Yahweh/Jehovah Jireh, which means "GOD PROVIDES", Yahweh/Jehovah Makkadesh "The Lord Who Sanctifies" and a whole lot more.

^_^^_^^_^

You're funny. The only one I forgot is Jehovah Rapha. The other ones you claim I forgot are already in the OP.

Upvote 0

razeontherock

May 24, 2010
WI
✟35,597.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
I don't think we've exhausted His unsearchable riches. A major point of the OT w/ His various Names being revealed, is the circumstances under which that happened. People got to know Him better, and in ways they hadn't known Him before. That can happen to us, too ... the G-d that LIVES ...

Alpha and Omega
The First and the Last
The Beginning and the End

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

FredVB

Mar 11, 2010
America
Visit site
✟267,149.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
When God says this is my name forever,in Exodus 3, what is the name being referred to? With many translations, although the ones that come to mind I respect as very good translations, you would easily conclude that I AM is the name referred to. Keep in mind though the knowledge that these translations follow a long tradition, certainly influenced by a push of Jewish leaders on their followers, and render the name Yahweh as LORD, and if you read it while seeing it would be the name Yahweh in those places, in this passage it would become rather plain that the name Yahweh is the name referred to. Of course, God's name is tied up with his answer to Moses for the Israelites that he said I AM THAT I AM and I AM sends Moses. We know there is meaning we can grasp in God's phrase I AM, it is used by Jesus so giving testimony to divinity, and the name of Yahweh certainly has a similar sound to the Hebrew phrase for I AM. So deep meaning this way is tied by this revelation from God to his name.

I would say following Jewish tradition of the time that Jewish leaders pushed followers to not pronounce the name of God is not a good idea without Biblical basis. In old testament times, it is clear from many passages that people of God freely used the name of Yahweh, in speaking of him and to him, and not speaking his name in vain, which would be the case if not really speaking of him or to him. The commandments should really have us speaking Yahweh's name, but not without an attitude of reverence to him.

By the way, I am not part of any movement that would have us think that to be saved we need any thing other than to believe and put our faith in Jesus Christ our Lord and Savior. But we should believe the Bible for the meaning of what was originally written, not settling for anything replacing any actual word, translated or transliterated.

Jesus rejected traditions of men that were not supported by anything in the Bible. God had told Moses, when he first called him and Moses questioned how he could tell Israelites God had sent him and not have the name of God, Tell them, Yahweh, God of your fathers, has sent you... This is my name, for all generations.

As it was to be remembered, for all generations, and Jewish tradition was going to permit it to be forgotten by not being spoken, but this later than the time the Hebrew scriptures were written, those who promoted the tradition were disobedient to God. Jesus would have nothing to do with this disobedience, and didn't.

God would not possibly be mistaken in saying that it is for all generations. There is no other Bible portion that negates this position from the Bible.

If we agree scripture called for the name to be spoken... and pronounced... regularly, why should it become not permissible, when that would not come from scripture, but rather the traditions I mentioned? If you say that because we do not know how it is pronounced, why presume to know it? That is very much something I am referring to about being forgotten, even if Jews can know the four consonants. I do not know about when Christians were forgetting it, but it was not forgotten among the first Christians. But my point is that if God said it was for all generations, as God would not be mistaken about it, and knowing all the history yet to come, it is logical the name with its pronunciation was not totally forgotten, even if most Jews will not use it, even with saying that the pronunciation is forgotten, although generally not for that reason. There are ancient Greek writings that are known that put the pronunciation with Greek letters. As God knew what he was saying, it is reasonable to conclude this preserved pronunciation is the true one, with is no likely contender.

I have just seen two reproductions of God's name as the ancient Greeks could write it in their writing, and it was with the Greek letters. I happen to be fluent in another language, and I know there are consonants in speech that are not used but with difficulty by those using another language. My own last name would give no English speaker difficulty but comes out with difficulty and is not spoken quite right by those only speaking the other language I know. I say this to portray that, as the ancient Greeks did not have the consonants used in their language for Y, J, V, or W, any of which are thought to be part of God's name, the Greeks writing the name would use Greek sounds that they would think came closest to it. Vowel sounds of languages are universal. It can be noticed that vowels in the Greek writing, first 'alpha' and then 'eta' or 'epsilon', would give the vowel pronunciation for the name. As the four consonants of God's name are known anyway in Hebrew, the pronunciation should not be a mystery and thought of as something incapable of being settled. As I said, God said his name was to be remembered for all generations, and as God could not be mistaken to tell us that, we would necessarily have access to that pronunciation. Our rendering of it in our language as 'Yahweh' makes total sense on the basis of knowing about the Hebrew consonants and the Greek rendition in their writing.

There is not a good scriptural basis to say that God only means otherwise when he places an emphasis on his name.

I started on this topic in these forums earlier with some of these thoughts posted. See this,
http://www.christianforums.com/t7453767/
progress.gif

Upvote 0

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟794,821.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I love this thread - the names, titles and attributes of God. Read this the other day - I AM THAT I AM means[FONT=&quot] I am impossibly deep. I am everything. I am unsearchable. I have no beginning and no end. I am all in all[/FONT][FONT=&quot] (Wow!)
[/FONT]

Upvote 0