Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
So this is a thread to share, encourage and check in regarding getting moving during our day...walking, running, hiking, biking, swimming, yoga, hitting the gym, etc.
It's also a place to share tips or ask questions!
I spend time in a Facebook group that's evolved into a similar supportive place, and I thought it might be fun to try to recreate that environment here.

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
So me, I've been active most of my life, but also tend to put on weight. I got serious when I had my kids, especially my youngest, as I was already in my 40s, and will be 60ish when they finished high school. Good motivation to get fit!

Upvote 0

Godlovesmetwo

Fringe Catholic
Mar 16, 2016
Antwerp
✟17,860.00
Country
Djibouti
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I used to do fun runs of up 14 kilometres in my twenties until I got back trouble. (spondylolisthesis). Reasonably active in my thirties doing gym and cycling. Forties started to go downhill. Several stop and starts since then. I am only suited to long walks and yoga type stretching now and some cycling too. But I haven't done any for 2 weeks now.

Upvote 0

Hetta

I'll find my way home
Jun 21, 2012
the here and now
✟64,923.00
Country
France
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
I used to run. I feel like I've typed this story a million times, lol. Running was the best thing I had ever done - other than horse-riding, which I still love. I would fasten my running shoes with that sense of excitement I have when I get up into the saddle, and sometimes running felt as light and free as galloping on a horse. :) However, my knees became more and more painful and now I walk. Bah. It is nowhere near as exciting, in fact very boring, but I do average around 8 miles each day. I have a Fitbit, which I love and am addicted to. This is perhaps my third Fitbit over 3 years as they were updated and refined, and right now I have the watch. It tells me everything I need to know, and I like to set little activity tasks. For instance, I am challenged to walk 250 steps every hour. That sounds easy. At my workplace, I can walk down one long corridor and back, and I have hit the 250. However, I sometimes forget time, get busy, and then I look up and the app has little grey dots in between the red ones. It isn't good to sit for long periods of time, so now I try to keep an eye on the time, and get up at the beginning of each hour and just walk up and down the hallway once, even if that's all I do. Sometimes I will go twice. But in general I walk first thing, get up at 4am, and hit the treadmill. I do around an hour and 20 minutes at a steady pace. Then I walk at work because I arrive so early, between 15-20 minutes. I read while I walk the treadmill and hallways, lol. At lunchtime I walk for half an hour. It's too hot here now to walk outside (80+) so all of this is indoors. Oh for when we move back home and I can walk outside most of the year. :) I try to keep to that brisk hourly walk the rest of the day, because in the evenings it is not so easy at home. We get watching tv, there are chores, and then I am typically asleep by 9:30pm. We also hit the gym 3-4 times a week. I do battle ropes and the medicine ball/rebounder, also strength bands (if that is what they are called). I used to love the weight machines but since I fractured my elbow a year or so ago, it will start to complain if I do too much, and changing the pin up and down annoys me. Weight bands allow for more flexibility. There is osteoporosis in my family, along with arthritis, and a few years ago I already had osteopenia. :( I haven't had a DEXA since, but I'm hoping that exercise is helping hold off osteoporosis. Given that I already fractured a bone easily, perhaps I'm already there. Getting older sucks.

That was a lot.

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
I have always struggled with weight. I cook a good deal and try to make healthy things. I do make sure the kids are healthy and moving and that has helped me. With Little D being 3 running is not easy. My wife runs and my daughter goes with her. I have been doing more and more DDP Yoga and exercising at home. Sometimes it is with the little one jumping on my back but...hey, it works.

We take hikes in the summer, we are very lucky to be near many paths and trails and state parks. There is also a good local book on short hikes that I use. As the kids get older it gets easier. Sometimes a bit of a jumble to get everyone in the same direction at these ages.

Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I have trouble with weig ht now too, wuth being sat all the time. Last summer by degrees I got while i could walk two mil es. Had a pedometer. Did in littl bits. Then could not walk much at all. So I have gotten FAT. And I HATE it. So am going to try again this simmerto do it again.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I used to run. I feel like I've typed this story a million times, lol. Running was the best thing I had ever done - other than horse-riding, which I still love. I would fasten my running shoes with that sense of excitement I have when I get up into the saddle, and sometimes running felt as light and free as galloping on a horse. :) However, my knees became more and more painful and now I walk. Bah. It is nowhere near as exciting, in fact very boring, but I do average around 8 miles each day. I have a Fitbit, which I love and am addicted to. This is perhaps my third Fitbit over 3 years as they were updated and refined, and right now I have the watch. It tells me everything I need to know, and I like to set little activity tasks. For instance, I am challenged to walk 250 steps every hour. That sounds easy. At my workplace, I can walk down one long corridor and back, and I have hit the 250. However, I sometimes forget time, get busy, and then I look up and the app has little grey dots in between the red ones. It isn't good to sit for long periods of time, so now I try to keep an eye on the time, and get up at the beginning of each hour and just walk up and down the hallway once, even if that's all I do. Sometimes I will go twice. But in general I walk first thing, get up at 4am, and hit the treadmill. I do around an hour and 20 minutes at a steady pace. Then I walk at work because I arrive so early, between 15-20 minutes. I read while I walk the treadmill and hallways, lol. At lunchtime I walk for half an hour. It's too hot here now to walk outside (80+) so all of this is indoors. Oh for when we move back home and I can walk outside most of the year. :) I try to keep to that brisk hourly walk the rest of the day, because in the evenings it is not so easy at home. We get watching tv, there are chores, and then I am typically asleep by 9:30pm. We also hit the gym 3-4 times a week. I do battle ropes and the medicine ball/rebounder, also strength bands (if that is what they are called). I used to love the weight machines but since I fractured my elbow a year or so ago, it will start to complain if I do too much, and changing the pin up and down annoys me. Weight bands allow for more flexibility. There is osteoporosis in my family, along with arthritis, and a few years ago I already had osteopenia. :( I haven't had a DEXA since, but I'm hoping that exercise is helping hold off osteoporosis. Given that I already fractured a bone easily, perhaps I'm already there. Getting older sucks.

That was a lot.
I have a Fitbit too, and I think it, or any pedometer, can be really helpful. But they do make me act silly....one night around 11:30pm, I was about to go to sleep but I happened to check and I was about 200 steps short of my goal (we have work incentives to get 10000 steps per day). So I got up and as quietly as I could so as not to wake anyone, I marched around the bedroom watching the steps accumulate on my phone. ...kind of ridiculous in retrospect.

Sounds like your work is a pretty good place for walking!

Reactions: Hetta
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I used to do fun runs of up 14 kilometres in my twenties until I got back trouble. (spondylolisthesis). Reasonably active in my thirties doing gym and cycling. Forties started to go downhill. Several stop and starts since then. I am only suited to long walks and yoga type stretching now and some cycling too. But I haven't done any for 2 weeks now.
Well, this week's a good one to go out there and enjoy a long walk!

Reactions: Godlovesmetwo
Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I have always struggled with weight. I cook a good deal and try to make healthy things. I do make sure the kids are healthy and moving and that has helped me. With Little D being 3 running is not easy. My wife runs and my daughter goes with her. I have been doing more and more DDP Yoga and exercising at home. Sometimes it is with the little one jumping on my back but...hey, it works.

We take hikes in the summer, we are very lucky to be near many paths and trails and state parks. There is also a good local book on short hikes that I use. As the kids get older it gets easier. Sometimes a bit of a jumble to get everyone in the same direction at these ages.
I hear you about the kids...when mine were young, running worked a bit with a jogging stroller, but we never got one for 2, so I eventually moved towards carrying one in a sling or soft carrier and substituting walking for running..then grabbing a bit of treadmill time when I could . I had plenty of yoga time with kids piling on too!
Now they're older, and I've been running for a few years either during school hours or when my husband was home to watch them. But now my oldest will hopefully start joining me for a few runs.
It's good to be by trails and state parks, I'm lucky to be that way too, even if it's covered in snow most of the year.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I have trouble with weig ht now too, wuth being sat all the time. Last summer by degrees I got while i could walk two mil es. Had a pedometer. Did in littl bits. Then could not walk much at all. So I have gotten FAT. And I HATE it. So am going to try again this simmerto do it again.
I'm glad you'll be giving it a go again this summer. Working up to two miles a day is an awesome goal. Have you taken the new dog out on walks?

Upvote 0

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
One of my first jobs long ago at the library was shelving books. At that time we would have a lot of circulation. Some of us would wear pedometers and on an average day of work we would walk five and a half miles just shelving books. But there are fourteen floors of collection and 5 million volumes. During exam times when we would have returns over ten thousand books a day... we once walked over 12 miles each.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I went out this morning and worked on hills. It was a bit less discouraging than Tuesday when I did the same thing, but I did feel like my legs were lead.
I've got my first race of the summer coming up soon, and while my goal is usually just to finish and have fun, this year I had set a time goal, and I think that's stressing me out a bit. Add that to a silly amount of work stress, and it's not surprising I'm a bit sluggish. But it is improving, and I imagine once I get into a group of fun folks, it's going to feel much easier.

Upvote 0

anjelica

May 14, 2015
✟91,105.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Mountain Girl, We have not taken our new puppy out for walks yet becauuse she still has to have her inal vaccination which will happen tomorrow. However, I sall endeavour to takeher in approxtwo weeks time.

At the moment I can hardly walk at all. But that is going to change. Mi fully intend to take Hope up Mam Tor in Derbyshireherewe used to love.

I used to love the gym, esp the treadmill. Might try one of those again after my eye syrgery. Also used to cycle a lot so want to go on the exercise bikes at the mdont fancy swimming again yet

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
One of my first jobs long ago at the library was shelving books. At that time we would have a lot of circulation. Some of us would wear pedometers and on an average day of work we would walk five and a half miles just shelving books. But there are fourteen floors of collection and 5 million volumes. During exam times when we would have returns over ten thousand books a day... we once walked over 12 miles each.
Now that's impressive! I guess with a library that large, it makes sense though. Do you still work there? I can't think of many greater places to work than a big library.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Davidnic

Site Supporter
Mar 3, 2006
✟788,967.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
Now that's impressive! I guess with a library that large, it makes sense though. Do you still work there? I can't think of many greater places to work than a big library.

Yep. I still shelve books at times to keep moving. We do not have overnight shifts in the summer but all the other times we do. I work overnight. So off in the summer. But now I help with basic circulation and reserves functions and help with research projects and questions.

I work in the school year overnight and take care of the kids in the day. My wife works there in the day. Once, when we still had our two friends who were sisters living with us and later when we had my wifes sister living with us; we figured out that there was only two hours a day out of 24 hours of service when someone living with us was not at the library working.

Upvote 0

Mountain_Girl406

Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2015
✟144,014.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Democrat
I like to go on hikes and be out in nature too. But my usual workout consists of a combination of Yoga and Tai Chi.
That sounds neat. Is it your own combination or have you found a good video, etc. that combines the two?

Reactions: Shiloh Raven
Upvote 0