Feb 21, 2012
✟437,300.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
I don't know what's more comical, the fact that the TC got serious problems with his debating/conversation skills, or the fact that some atheist will use this opportunity to "pwn" Christianity, which take advantage of the TC terrible debating/conversation skills. ( I'm looking at you, ana the first)

I dislike those who, and wouldn't want to be accused of, deliberately going over the head of the person I disagree with just to look smart. I have no issue keeping this at his level.

Upvote 0

Eudaimonist

I believe in life before death!
Jan 1, 2003
American resident of Sweden
Visit site
✟119,206.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Libertarian
What is it with theists who view atheism as some form of religion or group or club or system or similar?

You didn't get the membership card and secret decoder ring?

eudaimonia,

Mark

Upvote 0

Cearbhall

May 10, 2013
United States
✟122,284.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Single
What is it with theists who view atheism as some form of religion or group or club or system or similar?

Its simply the absence of belief that any deities exist.

Therefore-

I am not an atheist.

Im atheist!
I know, right? My favorite statement is "Christianity is better than atheism because we have charities!" Um, atheism is the lack of a religious belief, and there are plenty of charities that don't have a religious affiliation. Regardless, it's not like we've banded together and claimed that we're fighting for a common cause. We're just the Others.

Upvote 0

manitouscott

Oct 20, 2012
Colorado
✟8,663.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
As has been stated many times before, atheism has no basis for morality. Morality in atheism comes down to a matter of opinion. However, just because someone is a theist doesn't mean they follow the commandments of Jesus. A person can believe in God and still do immoral things. What I'm talking about is the commandments of the New Testament vs secular morality.

The majority of people in society, whether they are theists or atheists, don't follow the teachings of Jesus and the apostles. It should not surprise us then that a lot of crime, evil, and injustice happens in our society. To think secular morality is a good thing is a delusion. If I follow the teachings of the New Testament, I am to love others, not steal, not lie, not commit adultery, not murder, not mistreat the poor, help the widows, and be forgiving. Secular morality cannot and doesn't offer such a basis. Let me give an example:

If an atheist was sent to prison and he had a choice of cells: he could either share a cell with a group of unrepentant rapists and murderers, or he could share a cell with a group of born again Christians who decided to repent and follow Jesus, I'm sure that most atheists would prefer to share a cell with the Christians. The atheist would know that unrepentant rapists and murderers have no basis for their morality. Or what about the prison guards? Would an atheist prefer to live in a prison where the prison guards were born again Christians who believed in caring for their inmates, or would atheists prefer to live in a prison where the guards did as they pleased? Some of the prison guards in American prisons are brutal. They have even tortured the inmates.

This is why the commandments of Jesus are way superior to the morals of secular morality. If atheists disagree then I want them to tell me: would they prefer to share a prison cell with unrepentant criminals, or with born again Christians?

Most Atheists are thinking, feeling, moral people with clearly defined values and ideas. Using this type of argument to try and reach Atheists is useless. Firstly because it is inflammatory, and secondly because they can see right through it for what it really is; an attempt to build yourself up at the expense of others because of your insecurity in your own faith.

If you are going to reach out to non-believers it should be in love, with respect to where they are now. Starting arguments only reinforces the reputation a lot of christians have of being holier than thou. Oh wait, this is the internet......nevermind everything I just said.

Reactions: Archaeopteryx
Upvote 0

JCFantasy23

In a Kingdom by the Sea.
Jul 1, 2008
Lakeland, FL
✟502,107.00
Country
United States
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
MOD HAT ON

94543-bigthumbnail.jpg

This thread has a lot of flaming going on. Closing for review and reports coming in. We will update soon to let you know if it will remain closed or be reopened.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.