1. Saying Goodbye to a Great Staffer: Edial
    Please help me wish Edial a wonderful blessed journey as he steps down from CF staff.
    His footprint on our ministry will always remain but his presence will be greatly missed. I'm sure he will come around as a member to all his favorite forums but for now please join me at his profile page to wish him many thanks for the years of service he has brought to us all.
    All of us on CF staff will miss him dearly!!
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

Welcome to Christian Forums, a friendly forum to discuss Christianity in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
  • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
  • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting after you have posted 20 posts and have received 5 likes.
  • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Modern State Causes the Problems it Pretends to Fix

Discussion in 'OBOB General Politics Forum' started by Michie, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Michie

Michie Manipulation Resistance Team Supporter

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Others
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Pope Leo XIII affirms that a well governed State will promote the material and moral prosperity of its citizens, will honor private property and free association, and will protect the poor from abuse or depredation by the rich.

How to do these things? Leo lays down four principles.

The first is what I’ll call the Principle of Moral Health. “A State,” he says, “chiefly prospers and thrives through moral rule, well-regulated family life [family life directed from within by the moral law], respect for religion and justice, the moderation and equal allocation of public taxes, the progress of the arts and of trade, [and] the abundant yield of the land.” The emphasis is on direction from the objective moral law, and on a combination of self-restraint and industriousness.

Continued- The Modern State Causes the Problems it Pretends to Fix | Crisis Magazine

2. Kotton

Kotton Senior Member

Faith:
    Catholic
    The Modern State Causes the Problems it Pretends to Fix

And we have really experienced this in recent times.
    :p

3. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    When I decide to be bled with leeches the next time I get sick instead of seeking modern medical attention I will start listening to nineteenth century wisdom to solve twenty-first century problems.

I am not discounting that Pope Leo XIII may have been very wise in his time.

4. WarriorAngel

WarriorAngel I close my eyes and see you smile Supporter

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Catholic
    I see. Popes do not teach about science. [leeches] but they teach about morals and faith which includes human dignity.

I understand you dont want to have prosperity and private property - so i will make a deal with you. Give me your savings - your home and everything else you worked for. :)

We'll call it a deal. After all - what makes you believe you should keep them? Since my family is struggling...

5. WarriorAngel

WarriorAngel I close my eyes and see you smile Supporter

Marital Status:
    Private
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Leo could not have foreseen that “the State” would become interest in its own right, a new aristocracy, but utterly detached from locale and tradition and unknown to their subjects. The true State thrives by moral rule. But “the State,” the cancerous Metastate, thrives by immorality. It helps to cause the chaos it then pretends to ameliorate. Strong and self-reliant families hurt the Metastate, so the Metastate rewards profligacy and licentiousness, and promotes the easy severance of father from children. The Metastate knows that if people but make an earnest attempt to govern themselves by the Ten Commandments and the Gospel, they will be free and prosperous, and the Metastate will shrivel. Perish the thought.

I concur

6. Cosmic Charlie

Cosmic Charlie New Member

Faith:
    Catholic
    Selectively using the good Pope Leo's writings to basically enforce Libertarianism is not only disengenious and intellectually dishonest it's down right offensive from a Theological point of view.

For one thing claiming workers are protected in the current environment is crazy talk.

7. Fantine

Fantine Dona Quixote

Marital Status:
    Married
    Politics:
    US-Democrat
    Faith:
    Catholic
    Excellent summation, Charlie.

I can see you wouldn't choose to be bled by leeches, either.