The mistranslation into the English of the act of Faith that saves ...

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
I have long held that by grace, through faith, not of works is an accurate summary of how salvation works.
I am just simplifying it since the person added four or five things. I want him to address the other steps that he included.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Right , through Faith . (pistis) noun

through faith the verb (pisteuo)

We are saved by Grace , through Faith. The application of that noun Faith is the verb pisteuo.

Pisteuo means , "A personal surrender to Him , and a conduct inspired by such surrender."

So we are saved by Grace , through the surrendering of our lives to Him.

Thats the correct understanding.
That is not what the interlinear Greek says. It's not surrender but belief. Please see link http://biblehub.com/greek/4100.htm

pisteuó: to believe, entrust
Original Word: πιστεύω
Part of Speech: Verb
Transliteration: pisteuó
Phonetic Spelling: (pist-yoo'-o)
Short Definition: I believe, have faith in
Definition: I believe, have faith in, trust in; pass: I am entrusted with.
HELPS Word-studies
4100 pisteúō (from 4102 /pístis, "faith," derived from 3982 /peíthō, "persuade, be persuaded") – believe (affirm, have confidence); used of persuading oneself (= human believing) and with the sacred significance of being persuaded by the Lord (= faith-believing). Only the context indicates whether 4100 /pisteúō ("believe") is self-serving (without sacred meaning), or the believing that leads to/proceeds from God's inbirthing of faith.

It is a verb stating one's belief and faith. As in "I believe" "I have faith in" "I trust in"
Please include the source of where you are getting your information.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
If you haven't surrendered your life and will to God at the start of the relationship , your still in the Drawing of the Father phase of the process..

And, theres no such thing as a believer. Only those who are surrendering their lives towards God , "pisteuo" , or those surrendering thier life to something else away from God, "Apisteuo."
I don't understand this statement. John 3.16 says: 'whoever believes'.

Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That is not what the interlinear Greek says. It's not surrender but belief. Please see link http://biblehub.com/greek/4100.htm

HELPS Word-studies
4100 pisteúō (from 4102 /pístis, "faith," derived from 3982 /peíthō, "persuade, be persuaded") – believe (affirm, have confidence); used of persuading oneself (= human believing) and with the sacred significance of being persuaded by the Lord (= faith-believing). Only the context indicates whether 4100 /pisteúō ("believe") is self-serving (without sacred meaning), or the believing that leads to/proceeds from God's inbirthing of faith.

It is a verb stating one's belief and faith. As in "I believe" "I have faith in" "I trust in"
Earlier in Ephesians 2, in verses 4 and 5, it says: "But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ". At a point in time God quickened the repentant sinner - made us alive - and we believed in the Saviour by grace.

Upvote 0

watchman 2

Sep 22, 2016
ohio
✟24,537.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

HELPS Word-studies

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Earlier in Ephesians 2, in verses 4 and 5, it says: "But God, who is rich in mercy, for his great love wherewith he loved us,
Even when we were dead in sins, hath quickened us together with Christ". At a point in time God quickened the repentant sinner - made us alive - and we believed in the Saviour by grace.
Can we stay on this verse please. Do you have a better resource than the Interlinear Greek?

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
If you haven't surrendered your life and will to God at the start of the relationship , your still in the Drawing of the Father phase of the process..

And, theres no such thing as a believer. Only those who are surrendering their lives towards God , "pisteuo" , or those surrendering thier life to something else away from God, "Apisteuo."
Have you read Romans 4, 5, and 6?

Reactions: faroukfarouk
Upvote 0

faroukfarouk

Fading curmudgeon
Apr 29, 2009
Canada
✟279,058.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Can we stay on this verse please. Do you have a better resource than the Interlinear Greek?
The reason I referred back to 'made alive' was because its sheds light on the background to the affirmation in verses 8 & 9; especially since the other poster was casting doubt on what we see as the more standard view of what faith really is. In other words, it is in the power of God. In the Greek, the first 9 or so verses of Ephesians 2 have very few sentences and the thought pattern flows on through them; the verse divisions are not inspired. I'm referring from memory.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

watchman 2

Sep 22, 2016
ohio
✟24,537.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

HELPS Word-studies

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Geralt

Unsurpassed Сasual Dating - Verified Women
Supporter
Apr 9, 2016
GB
Visit site
✟67,802.00
Country
Philippines
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-American-Solidarity
This is what I call a religious version. I doubt the thief on the cross or the woman who bled for a decade undergone all your mentioned process.
It's more complicated than that. When one is just starting the relationship , a response is made by a decision or choice. If Gods accepts the surrendered life , then you are drawn into the parable of the sower phase of the Salvation journey. If you one out of the four people that make it through the parable of the sower , then God seals His Spirit in us and the response has become is tempered by the Dunamus power of the Holy Spirit. At that point it's harder to get out of God will than it is to stay in it.

So at the start , a decision made with the will. Since we are surrendering our "life and will" to Him , if he deems our surrender genuine , we begin a path that regenerates a life thats more of Him , and less of us. So the more God takes us over , the more it would become a reaction to the Holy Spirit dwelling in us , and having the mind of Christ.

But back to my greater point. That if the initial surrender doesn't take place , the journey is stuck outside of God and His Word, until the right act of faithing takes place.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

sdowney717

Apr 20, 2013
✟102,588.00
Faith
Christian

No such thing as believers?
Your gifted teacher has misled you, don't you think so?
Your statement is directly contrary to God's word written for the believers.

Acts 5:14
And believers were increasingly added to the Lord, multitudes of both men and women,
In Context | Full Chapter | Other Translations
2 Corinthians 6:15
And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has abeliever with an unbeliever?
1 Timothy 4:12
[ Take Heed to Your Ministry ] Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
1 Timothy 6:2
And those who have believing masters, let them not despisethem because they are brethren, but rather serve them because those who are benefited are believers and beloved. Teach and exhort these things.

Upvote 0

1John2:4

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
Few people are aware that in the Greek texts, there are two very important uses of the word Faith.

One is the Greek word "pistis", which is where we get the English word "Faith", a noun or person place or thing. This word is used 244 times in the NT.

The second and even more important is the Greek word 'pisteuo". This word pisteuo is the verb form of the noun "pistis or Faith." The problem is, the English didn't then, and still does not now have a word in their language to translate "pisteuo" into English.

This Greek word "pisteuo" is a verb, and action word. Defined, but not specifically, it is an act, based upon a belief, sustained by confidense. We all perform thousands of acts of "faithing" all day every day. But those acts of Faithing do not fulfill the specific act of "saving NT faith".

What is the specific act of saving faith?

Well don't take my word for it, lets look at the two main Greek dictionaries.

Exact Quotes,

Strongs : "Pisteuo means not just to believe , but to place confidense in, to trust, reliance upon , not mere credence, hence it is translated , commit unto , commit to ones trust , be committed unto."

The Strongs doesn't tell us specifically what saving faith is , but does tell us what it isn't. It says that pisteuo , used 248 times in the NT, IS NOT just to believe.

The Vines on the other hand does give a specific definition of what "saving NT faith" or pisteuo is. It reads, : "A personal surrender to Him, and a life inspired by such surrender."

True NT saving Faith is a continual daily surrendering of our lives to God , and making the many little decisions through out the day , supporting that surrender.

The fact that the English did not have a word in it's dictionary to communicate the most important word in the Scriptures is just mind boggling. The words they chose to translate "pisteuo" are believe, believer, and believing. Although those words are a part of what the act of pisteuo is, taken alone will never produce a relationship with Christ.
Awesome post good stuff!

Upvote 0

watchman 2

Sep 22, 2016
ohio
✟24,537.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
No such thing as believers?
Your gifted teacher has misled you, don't you think so?
Your statement is directly contrary to God's word written for the believers.

Acts 5:14
And believers were increasingly added to the Lord, multitudes of both men and women,
2 Corinthians 6:15
And what accord has Christ with Belial? Or what part has abeliever with an unbeliever?
1 Timothy 4:12
[ Take Heed to Your Ministry ] Let no one despise your youth, but be an example to the believers in word, in conduct, in love, in spirit, in faith, in purity.
1 Timothy 6:2
And those who have believing masters, let them not despisethem because they are brethren, but rather serve them because those who are benefited are believers and beloved. Teach and exhort these things.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

1John2:4

Jun 8, 2016
New Braunfels, TX
✟32,608.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Private
I don't get many positive comments 1John. Mind if i ask what rings true to you?
I have a One New Man bible and in the Shema when it says Hear O Isreal next to hear it says Obey. I think it's a constant theme throughout the Bible (taking action). I find it fascinating that you discovered this truth and were brave enough to share it :) like James (Yaacov) states faith without works is dead. Faith is trusting and doing Gods word no matter how unpopular you become.

Upvote 0