Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Were they sinners? Did they likely go to hell?

:) We are the 'men' who killed Jesus. For Jesus died willingly for our sins. If we were not all hopless sinners Jesus would not have needed to die.

Some of us Go to Hell while others decide not to.

Upvote 0
Q

Question.Everything

:) We are the 'men' who killed Jesus. For Jesus died willingly for our sins. If we were not all hopless sinners Jesus would not have needed to die.

Some of us Go to Hell while others decide not to.

I'm asking: did the actual Romans who killed Jesus likely go to hell for it? Were they committing a sin in physically killing Jesus?

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I'm asking: did the actual Romans who killed Jesus likely go to hell for it? Were they committing a sin in physically killing Jesus?

Yes they sinned but we all do. Their was one who confessed Christ as the son of God. I would like to think he did not go to Hell for what he did. Ultimatly only God can judge the condition of a man's heart.

Upvote 0
P

Publius

Were they sinners for crucifying Jesus?

Most likely not for that one act, as they were acting within the law and, ironically, within the authority assigned to them by God. However, they were still sinners by nature and still sinned all thoughout their lives, just like anyone else.

Did they likely go to hell?

Unless they were born again, yes, just like any other person apart from Christ.

Upvote 0

talitha

Cultivate Honduras
Nov 5, 2004
Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Visit site
✟22,601.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
It began when Adam sinned.
:amen:

Every sacrifice ever made, every ceremonial act ever performed under the old covenant, was like a placeholder - when Jesus died, the people who did those things would finally be forgiven - made right with God. It is the blood of Jesus that really is the only atonement for all mankind, no matter what time period.

I think the moment when the "placeholder" became superfluous was when Jesus died - the moment marked when the curtain in the temple was torn.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
That makes me wonder at what point did people start needing to be born again. Was it during Jesus' life or after his crucifiction?

The 'process of being born again' is a doctrine of salvation taken from serveral different points of scripture, compiled and explained from the pulpit of a given denomination. Minimum this 'process of being born again' could not happen till after the bible was compiled and the church leaders who created this doctrine pulled the supporting scripture.

Note this 'process of being born again' is not to be confused with the concept Jesus founded in John three. Because In His version, Jesus Says we must be born of the water and of the Spirit. And if you continue the concept Christ spoke of to verse 8 Christ tells us that; 8 The wind blows wherever it wants to. You hear it, but you don’t know where it is coming from or where it is going. It is the same with everyone who is born from the Spirit.” Meaning The Spirit (who is doing the rebirthing) is not bound to our 'doctrine or cermonies' of when one is actually "born again." (Why else say this unless speaking to a man steeped in religious cermony and 'doctrinal' practices.)

So thankfully to the theif on the cross, Roman soliders, or anyone else not to be so lucky as to be born under the "Born again doctrine/process" They can still indeed find salvation.

Upvote 0

GenetoJean

Veteran
Jun 25, 2012
Delaware
Visit site
✟18,940.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Private
Politics
US-Others
Thanx drich0150, that is what I was getting at. Before Jesus there was no such thing as being born again and after there was. I was just wondering at what point it changed. It also would take a while for the word of Jesus to spread around the world.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Clare73

Blood-bought
Jun 12, 2012
North Carolina
✟276,593.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Were they sinners for crucifying Jesus? Did they likely go to hell?
We go to hell for only one reason, rejection of Jesus Christ (Jn 3:36).

They were sinners whether or not they crucified the Lord of Glory.

Upvote 0

drich0150

Mar 16, 2008
Florida
✟44,834.00
Country
United States
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Thanx drich0150, that is what I was getting at. Before Jesus there was no such thing as being born again and after there was. I was just wondering at what point it changed. It also would take a while for the word of Jesus to spread around the world.
"Where does the wind come, from where does it go?" When did it start? This is Jesus' analogy (comparing the Holy Spirit with the wind.) I think Jesus was simply illerterating a process of rebirth and renewal that is seperate from the works driven 'righteousness' that Niccodemus knew.

Christ was trying to tell Niccodemus that this process of re birth would be as forgein and unexplained as the wind. Perhaps Meaning the Holy Spirit is and always was re-birthing those going to Heaven. Christ did not speak as if this was a new concept, just as if it was a new concept to a man who thought he was going to earn his way to an afterlife. For what of the "righteous" in the Eyes of God before the law or before Christ? David, Noah, Moses.. They all had to be born of the Spirit did they not? According to Jesus in John 3:3 Everyone did. Not just 'everyone' from this point or from the death, or resurection, or from Pentacost forward..

Upvote 0

jennimatts

Blessed by God!
May 29, 2011
United States, Pacific Northwest
✟14,186.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
...Perhaps Meaning the Holy Spirit is and always was re-birthing those going to Heaven. Christ did not speak as if this was a new concept, just as if it was a new concept to a man who thought he was going to earn his way to an afterlife. For what of the "righteous" in the Eyes of God before the law or before Christ? David, Noah, Moses.. They all had to be born of the Spirit did they not? According to Jesus in John 3:3 Everyone did. Not just 'everyone' from this point or from the death, or resurection, or from Pentacost forward.

I agree with this. The patriarchs had to experience a renewing of the mind as must we all. People get confused thinking the sacrifices saved them, but these were little more than a sign of obedience. In Jesus day, many of the religious leaders thought they would be saved as a reward for their "good works" such as the sacrifices and meticulous keeping of the law. But this was not enough, a renewal of the mind was required. I believe this correlates in large part with what we call born again.

Upvote 0

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Question.Everything said:
Were they sinners for crucifying Jesus?
It wasn't a good thing to do.

However:

When the centurion saw what happened, he praised God, saying, "It's really true: this man was righteous."

Did they likely go to hell?
Do you or I need to know that?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
jennimatts said:
In Jesus day, many of the religious leaders thought they would be saved as a reward for their "good works" such as the sacrifices and meticulous keeping of the law.
Um, no they didn't. Or, at least, there is no evidence that anyone very much did think that way.

Upvote 0