May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Colossians 2:9

For in Christ all the fullness of the Deity lives in bodily form,

Jesus also says that the Father was greater than him, implying he was not God the Father. The Bible also never says that the Father and Holy Spirit died on the cross-only God the Son.

So how do you explain Colossians 2 9, with the fact that the Bible makes a clear distinction from Jesus and the other members of the trinity?

BryanW92

Hey look, it's a squirrel!
May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

Jesus also says that the Father was greater than him, implying he was not God the Father. The Bible also never says that the Father and Holy Spirit died on the cross-only God the Son.

So how do you explain Colossians 2 9, with the fact that the Bible makes a clear distinction from Jesus and the other members of the trinity?

There are three persons in the Godhead, the same in substance, equal in power and glory; although distinguished by their personal properties.

The only Mediator of the covenant of grace is the Lord Jesus Christ, who, being the eternal Son of God, of one substance and equal with the Father, in the fulness of time became man, and so was and continues to be God and man, in two entire distinct natures, and one person, forever.

Christ the Son of God became man, by taking to himself a true body, and a reasonable soul, being conceived by the power of the Holy Ghost in the womb of the virgin Mary, of her substance, and born of her, yet without sin.

Christ humbled himself in his conception and birth, in that, being from all eternity the Son of God, in the bosom of the Father, he was pleased in the fulness of time to become the son of man, made of a woman of low estate, and to be born of her; with divers circumstances of more than ordinary abasement.

Christ humbled himself in his life, by subjecting himself to the law, which he perfectly fulfilled; and by conflicting with the indignities of the world, temptations of Satan, and infirmities in his flesh, whether common to the nature of man, or particularly accompanying that his low condition.

Christ humbled himself in his death, in that having been betrayed by Judas, forsaken by his disciples, scorned and rejected by the world, and tormented by his persecutors; having also conflicted with the terrors of death, and the powers of darkness, felt and borne the weight of God's wrath, he laid down his life an offering for sin, enduring the painful, shameful, and cursed death of the cross.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2014
✟8,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single

Colossians 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

Hi Sam, I think it means God with us. No need for philosophy or traditions of man, only Christ to know God.

Upvote 0

Sammy-San

May 23, 2013
✟104,579.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Colossians 2:9 For in him dwelleth all the fulness of the Godhead bodily.

Hi Sam, I think it means God with us. No need for philosophy or traditions of man, only Christ to know God.

Someone at church told me that verse means Jesus was all 3 members of the trinity incarnated. How should I respond to him? The Bible does make a clear distinction between Jesus and the Father-why would Jesus pray to the Father if he was also him?

Upvote 0
Aug 24, 2014
✟8,110.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Someone at church told me that verse means Jesus was all 3 members of the trinity incarnated. How should I respond to him? The Bible does make a clear distinction between Jesus and the Father-why would Jesus pray to the Father if he was also him?

I agree with you. The Spirit wasn't made flesh, neither God our Father, only the Word was made flesh. Jesus is the Word incarnate.

Some believe three who are one also means each one is three. I think oneness believes Jesus is all three. I believe God was in Jesus reconciling the world unto himself. Jesus said it was the Father doing the works.

For me, the bottom line is we all work it out with God. We may expound the word, but God keeps improving sight.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

They're wrong.

Upvote 0

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
There are three persons in the Godhead, the same in substance, equal in power and glory; although distinguished by their personal properties.

The only Mediator of the covenant of grace is the Lord Jesus Christ, who, being the eternal Son of God, of one substance and equal with the Father, in the fulness of time became man, and so was and continues to be God and man, in two entire distinct natures, and one person, forever.

Christ the Son of God became man, by taking to himself a true body, and a reasonable soul, being conceived by the power of the Holy Ghost in the womb of the virgin Mary, of her substance, and born of her, yet without sin.

Christ humbled himself in his conception and birth, in that, being from all eternity the Son of God, in the bosom of the Father, he was pleased in the fulness of time to become the son of man, made of a woman of low estate, and to be born of her; with divers circumstances of more than ordinary abasement.

Christ humbled himself in his life, by subjecting himself to the law, which he perfectly fulfilled; and by conflicting with the indignities of the world, temptations of Satan, and infirmities in his flesh, whether common to the nature of man, or particularly accompanying that his low condition.

Christ humbled himself in his death, in that having been betrayed by Judas, forsaken by his disciples, scorned and rejected by the world, condemned by Pilate, and tormented by his persecutors; having also conflicted with the terrors of death, and the powers of darkness, felt and borne the weight of God's wrath, he laid down his life an offering for sin, enduring the painful, shameful, and cursed death of the cross.

Pilate did not condemn Jesus. Pilate said he could find no fault in him.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Pilate did not condemn Jesus. Pilate said he could find no fault in him.

He did not execute judgement on him, but by handing him over to the Jewish mob and washing his hands of him (a symbol of saying that he would not listen to appeals), he condemned him.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MWood

Jan 7, 2013
✟122,541.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican
He did not execute judgement on him, but by handing him over to the Jewish mob and washing his hands of him (a symbol of saying that he would not listen to appeals), he condemned him.

Not true. He said he found no fault with him, and gave the crowd a choice between Jesus and Barabbas. When the people chose Barabbas Pilate then washed his hands of the whole matter. He was through with them. He didn't condemn Jesus.

Upvote 0

BryanW92

May 11, 2012
NE Florida
✟15,351.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Not true. He said he found no fault with him, and gave the crowd a choice between Jesus and Barabbas. When the people chose Barabbas Pilate then washed his hands of the whole matter. He was through with them. He didn't condemn Jesus.

OK. That particular post had 297 words in it. Let's throw out those three.

Upvote 0

jdale72

Mar 16, 2007
✟15,287.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Jesus is the Temple that was made without hand. Jesus is God's dwelling place. If the trinity helps you understand God, then it's good. But as far as I can see it has only been a source of division and exclusion, very contrary to the nature of God. It was Our Lord and God who went to the cross.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

food4thought

Loving truth
Site Supporter
Jul 9, 2002
Watervliet, MI
✟383,729.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
God has existed from all eternity as one Being of three persons: Father, Word/Son, Holy Spirit. Just deal with it. I like to use the analogy of light... light is composed of infrared, visible, and ultraviolet spectrums, each distinct from one another, yet all three spectrums are light. Interesting that only one of the three spectrums is visible to us.

Upvote 0