The Lord's Supper: a means of grace

B

bbbbbbb

I strongly doubt it.

The whole point of simplicity of gathering and worship surely involves the idea that no piece of ground is supposedly holier that another.

'Jesu, where'er Thy people meet,
There they behold the Mercy Seat,
To them that seek Thee, Thou are found,
And every place is hallowed ground.'

It reminds me of a chapel I heard about where the meeting room was on the second floor, because it was the "upper room" and, therefore, holier.

Upvote 0

DeaconDean

γέγονα χαλκὸς, κύμβαλον ἀλαλάζον
Jul 19, 2005
Gastonia N.C. (Piedmont of N.C.)
✟100,334.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
What the writer is contending for is that the Lord's Supper is a special means of grace much like the Presbys contend. It is no more a means of grace than reading your Bible, praying listening to the preaching of the Gospel etc.

Here here.

God Bless

Till all are one.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,522.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
I don't think so brother. I believe he is saying the Gospel is preached through the sacraments or ordinances. Not that they convey grace in the means (like Calvin) or the work (RC), but that they convey the Gospel just like preaching the word conveys the Gospel. This is what, if I'm not mistaken, Bullinger taught and has been largely forgotten.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Upvote 0
B

bbbbbbb

I don't think so brother. I believe he is saying the Gospel is preached through the sacraments or ordinances. Not that they convey grace in the means (like Calvin) or the work (RC), but that they convey the Gospel just like preaching the word conveys the Gospel. This is what, if I'm not mistaken, Bullinger taught and has been largely forgotten.

Yours in the Lord,

jm

Yes, I entirely agree with your understanding of Bullinger's thought.

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,522.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
“Worthy receivers, outwardly partaking of the visible elements in this ordinance, do then also inwardly by faith, really and indeed, yet not carnally and corporally, but spiritually receive, and feed upon Christ crucified, and all the benefits of his death; the body and blood of Christ being then not corporally or carnally, but spiritually present to the faith of believers in that ordinance, as the elements themselves are to their outward senses.” - 1689 Second London Confession of Faith, 30.7​

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,522.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
Where I used to attend we celebrated every Sunday evening.

Seems like a good practice.

When I partake of the Lord's Supper with the local Presbyterians and they have it every Lord's Day. (twice a month in the morning, twice a month in the evening)

With the Baptists it's the first Lord's Day of the month.

jm

Upvote 0

JM

Augsburg Catholic
Site Supporter
Jun 26, 2004
Canada
✟745,522.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Others
17th century Baptist catechism:

Q. 99. Wherein do Baptism and the Lord's Supper differ from the other ordinances of God?

A. Baptism and the Lord's Supper differ from the other ordinances of God in that they were specially instituted by Christ to represent and apply to believers the benefits of the new covenant by visible and outward signs.

(a) Matt 28:19; Acts 22:16; Matt 26:26-28; Rom 6:4

Q. 107. What is the Lord's Supper?

A. The Lord's Supper is a holy ordinance, wherein, by giving and receiving bread and wine, according to Christ's appointment, His death is showed forth, and the worthy receivers are, not after a corporeal and carnal manner, but by faith, made partakers of His body and blood, with all His benefits, to their spiritual nourishment, and growth in grace.

(a) 1 Cor 11:23-26; 1 Cor 10:16

Q. 108. What is required to the worthy receiving of the Lord's Supper?

A. It is required of them that would worthily (that is, suitably) partake of the Lord's Supper, that they examine themselves, of their knowledge to discern the Lord's body; of their faith to feed upon Him; of their repentance, love, and new obedience: lest, coming unworthily, they eat and drink judgment to themselves.

(a) 1 Cor 11:27-31; 1 Cor 5:8; 2 Cor 13:5

Upvote 0