Status
Not open for further replies.

Emmy

Senior Veteran
Feb 15, 2004
✟50,995.00
Faith
Salvation Army
Dear Gary51. When God created the Heaven and the Earth, He worked 6 days, and on the 7th day He rested. Jews work 6 days, and on the 7th they rest, and they call it Sabbath. Christians work 6 days and the rest-day is Sunday. All days belong to the Lord, but I believe you were asking for the REST -day, because the Lord told us to work, and then have a day of rest. I say this with love, Gary. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What is the Lords day?
LLOJ subscribes! :wave:

http://www.scripture4all.org/

Reve 1:10 I became in Spirit in the Lord's day and I hear behind of me a voice/sound, great as a trumpet,

Revelation 1:10 egenomhn <1096> (5633) {I BECAME} en <1722> {IN} pneumati <4151> {SPIRIT} en <1722> {IN} th <3588> {THE} kuriakh <2960> {LORD'S} hmera <2250> {DAY,} kai <2532> {AND} hkousa <191> (5656) {I HEAR} opisw <3694> {BEHIND} mou <3450> {OF ME} fwnhn <5456> {A VOICE} megalhn <3173> {GREAT} wV <5613> {AS} salpiggoV <4536> { A TRUMPET,}

Christian Forums - View Single Post - Revelation Chapter 1 Verses
Revelation Chapter 1 Verses

Upvote 0

neohuabai

Jul 15, 2009
✟7,611.00
Faith
Word of Faith
Dear Gary51. When God created the Heaven and the Earth, He worked 6 days, and on the 7th day He rested. Jews work 6 days, and on the 7th they rest, and they call it Sabbath. Christians work 6 days and the rest-day is Sunday. All days belong to the Lord, but I believe you were asking for the REST -day, because the Lord told us to work, and then have a day of rest. I say this with love, Gary. Greetings from Emmy, sister in Christ.

learning.

Upvote 0

Epiphoskei

Senior Veteran
Jul 7, 2007
✟25,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
The term "the Lord's day," in its historical usage, is Sunday, the day of the Lord's resurrection. You can find ubiquitous examples of this usage in the second century. It probably dates to the first century, since Revelation and the Didache both use the term.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
The term "the Lord's day," in its historical usage, is Sunday, the day of the Lord's resurrection. You can find ubiquitous examples of this usage in the second century. It probably dates to the first century, since Revelation and the Didache both use the term.
:angel: I will have to read that someday, but not anytime soon ehehe........

Strong's Concordance with Hebrew and Greek Lexicon

new2.gif
Search Wikipedia Encyclopedia:

Didache - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Didache (pronounced /&#712;d&#618;d&#601;ki&#720;/; Koine Greek: &#916;&#953;&#948;&#945;&#967;&#942;, Didach&#275; "Teaching";[1] Modern Greek [&#240;i&#240;a&#712;xi]) is the common name of a brief early Christian treatise (dated by most scholars to the late first/early second century[2]). It is an anonymous work not belonging to any single individual, and a pastoral manual "that reveals more about how Jewish-Christians saw themselves and how they adapted their Judaism for gentiles than any other book in the Christian Scriptures."[3]

The text, parts of which may have constituted the first written catechism, has three main sections dealing with Christian lessons, rituals such as baptism and eucharist, and Church organization. It was considered by some of the Church Fathers as part of the New Testament[4] but rejected as spurious or non-canonical by others,[5] eventually not accepted into the New Testament canon with the exception of the Ethiopian Orthodox Church "broader canon" which includes the Didascalia which is based on the Didache. The Catholic Church has accepted it as part of the collection of Apostolic Fathers...........

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
LLOJ subscribes! :wave:

Scripture4all - Greek/Hebrew interlinear Bible software

Reve 1:10 I became in Spirit in the Lord's day and I hear behind of me a voice/sound, great as a trumpet,-snip-

Hear behind. So,

trumpet first, Lord's day second

1 Cor. 15:52 in a moment, in the twinkling of an eye, at the last trumpet; for the trumpet will sound, and the dead will be raised imperishable, and we will be changed.

But this:

Joel 2:1 Blow a trumpet in Zion, And sound an alarm on My holy mountain! Let all the inhabitants of the land tremble, For the day of the LORD is coming; Surely it is near,

And this (Sunday morning resurrection believers):

Ex. 19:16 So it came about on the third day, when it was morning, that there were thunder and lightning flashes and a thick cloud upon the mountain and a very loud trumpet sound, so that all the people who {were} in the camp trembled.

Thoughts? Comments?

Upvote 0

bling

Site Supporter
Feb 27, 2008
✟803,026.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You need to look up the word &#8220;Day&#8221; to begin, in good bible dictionaries and Lexicons. A better translation when it is put with &#8220;Lord&#8221; (Emperor) might be &#8220;Court&#8221;. Paul uses the word that way and in Rev. 1:[FONT='Verdana','sans-serif'] [/FONT][FONT='Cambria','serif']10[/FONT][FONT='Cambria','serif']On the Lord's Day I was in the Spirit, and I heard behind me a loud voice like a trumpet,&#8230; would be better translated &#8220; In the Lord&#8217;s Court&#8221; because it has to do with a place and not a &#8220;time&#8221;. It describes the Court of the Lord and has nothing to do with a specific 24 hours. You can look at all the &#8220;day of the Lord&#8221; in the old and new testaments to find they are judgment scenes. [/FONT]
[FONT='Cambria','serif']I personally would define a &#8220;day of the Lord&#8221; as that time and place where all humans will have nothing but God to rely on. The Greek word for &#8220;day&#8217; used in Rev. 1:10 could always be translated as &#8220;court&#8221; in the NT. [/FONT]

Upvote 0

Epiphoskei

Senior Veteran
Jul 7, 2007
✟25,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
"Behind," or the Greek opiso, usually is a word of location, not time. I don't see why this doesn't just mean John had a vision on Sunday and the first thing that happened was he heard a noise coming from behind him.

But even if we wanted to use opiso as a temporal word, it means after, not before. It would be Lord's day first, trumpet second. Even though we should probably just stick to the plain reading, that he heard a noise behind him.

Upvote 0

Epiphoskei

Senior Veteran
Jul 7, 2007
✟25,557.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
You can look at all the &#8220;day of the Lord&#8221; in the old and new testaments to find they are judgment scenes.

You can also look at the ECF's and determine that Kurike Hemera was first and second century Christian slang for sunday.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Opiso
1) back, behind, after, afterwards
a) of place: things that are behind
b) of time: after

Here's Vines on day (hemera)

As the "day" throws light upon things that have been in darkness, the word is often associated with the passing of judgment upon circumstances. In 1Cr 4:3, "man's day," AV, "man's judgement," RV, denotes mere human judgment upon matters ("man's" translates the adjective anthropinos, "human"), a judgment exercised in the present period of human rebellion against "God;" probably therefore "the Lord's Day," Rev 1:10, or "the Day of the Lord" (where an adjective, kuriakos, is similarly used), is the Day of His manifested judgment on the world.
The phrases "the day of Christ," Phl 1:10; 2:16; "the day of Jesus Christ," Phl 1:6; "the day of the Lord Jesus," 1Cr 5:5; 2Cr 1:14; "the day of our Lord Jesus Christ," 1Cr 1:8, denote the time of the Parousia of Christ with His saints, subsequent to the Rapture, 1Th 4:16, 17. In 2Pe 1:19 this is spoken of simply as "the day," (see DAY-STAR).
From these the phrase "the day of the Lord" is to be distinguished; in the OT it had reference to a time of the victorious interposition by God for the overthrow of the foes of Israel, e.g., Isa 2:12; Amo 5:18; if Israel transgressed in the pride of their hearts, the Day of the Lord would be a time of darkness and judgment. For their foes, however, there would come "a great and terrible day of the Lord," Joe 2:31; Mal 4:5. That period, still future, will see the complete overthrow of Gentile power and the establishment of Messiah's Kingdom, Isa 13:9-11; 34:8; Dan 2:34, 44; Oba 1:15; cp. Isa 61:2; Jhn 8:56.
In the NT "the day of the Lord" is mentioned in 1Th 5:2; 2Th 2:2, RV, where the Apostle's warning is that the church at Thessalonica should not be deceived by thinking that "the Day of the Lord is now present." This period will not begin till the circumstances mentioned in verses 3 and 4 take place. For the eventual development of the Divine purposes in relation to the human race see 2Pe 3:12, "the Day of God."

Upvote 0

Standing Up

On and on
Sep 3, 2008
Around about
✟66,235.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
You can also look at the ECF's and determine that Kurike Hemera was first and second century Christian slang for sunday.

If God gave us types/shadows with the OT, then, according to the early church (Quartodecimans) and scripture, Sunday, the day after the third/seventh day (Num. 19) would have been first fruits, as in:

1 Cor. 15:20 But now Christ has been raised from the dead, the first fruits of those who are asleep.

So, we are in the Lord's day.

Thoughts? Comments?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I thought this was interesting. John was an OC Jew/Israelite and I would say he was facing the symbolic OC Table of Showbread in Reve 1 as used in the Tabernacle of Moses.

When he "turns", he see the True Showbread, Jesus! Pretty interesting......:angel:

Reve 1: 10 I was in the Spirit on the Lord's Day, and I heard behind me a loud Voice, as of a trumpet.......
12 And I turned/epestreya <1994> (5656) to be seeing the Voice which-any spoke with me and turning/epistreyaV <1994> (5660) I saw seven lampstands, golden

John 6:51 `I am the Bread/artoV <740>, the Living, the out of the heaven descending. If-ever any-one may be eating out of this, the bread, he shall be living into the age and the bread yet which I shall be giving, the flesh of Me, is for sake of the World, Life.

Studies In The Scriptures - Tabernacle Shadows - Chapter 1

The Camp--The Court--The Tabernacle--The Brazen Altar--The Laver--The Table--The Lampstand--The Golden Altar--The Mercy Seat and Ark--The Gate--The First Veil--The Second Veil--The Significance of These and Their Antitypes

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.