United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The practical purpose of penitence...
In Lent I repent. I say, "I'm a sinner." I admit I am wrong, not right. I accept that I am flawed, that I am ignorant and arrogant and proud and willful and egotistical and I could go on and on. What is the purpose of this self denial and degradation? One of the practical purposes of penitence is that I am being realistic.

Upvote 0

Chrystal-J

The one who stands firm to the end will be saved.
Site Supporter
Oct 19, 2004
Detroit
✟805,918.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Others
I'm slightly suffering this lenten season. I *love* red meat--steak, hamburgers, coney-dogs, etc. But, I gave up red meat for lent and I'm on a chicken/fish only diet. (I don't like vegetarian food that much either.) I know it's a small sacrifice, but I'm feeling it.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Happy Priest: Sin, Confession, Freedom and God's Mercy

small2_2012033706.jpg

We experience God's mercy through the Sacrament of Confession. It is there that we acknowledge who we are: limited, weak and sinful creatures in need of redemption. It is there that God forgives us of any and all of our sins. Just like all the other sacraments of the Church, Jesus instituted the Sacrament of Confession. The Church has always understood the Scriptural reference for the Sacrament of Confession to be John 20: 22-23: "Receive the Holy Spirit. For those whose sins you forgive, they are forgiven; for those whose sins you retain, they are retained."
Full Story

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Lent starts now...
Every time Lent rolls around, I find that I actually enjoy the opportunity to deny myself worldly comforts in order to focus solely on spiritual nourishment. I appreciate the simple beauty of this penitential time, and joyfully embrace the chance to turn away from the pleasures of the world and focus on what really matters. For about twenty days.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
How to Develope a Prayer Life that Transforms

by Brennan Pursell On Ash Wednesday a wise priest said, “For Heaven’s sake, don’t give up anything for Lent, if you’re just thinking of chocolate, coffee, alcohol, or facebook. Turn your heart to God! Free yourself of the aggravation, anger, jealousy, and hatred…

Read more

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Music for Lent...
I don’t hear people getting all giddy about being able to crank up their Lenten music, the way they did with Christmas songs when it was Christmas time (or mid-October, whatever). That’s a shame, though—Lent is a wonderful reason to really wallow in some gorgeous harmonies that just don’t sound right any other time of year. And no...

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Hiding in the Wounds of Christ...
To hide in the wounds of Christ and to draw strength from his passion, this is what the mystery of the Mass opens to, and this is especially true for those who suffer.   The prayer Christ offered the night before He died is the source and summit of all prayer, even the feeble prayers of those who feel unable to pray at all.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Why are statues and images veiled on the Fifth Sunday of Lent?
Why are images veiled beginning on the fifth Sunday in Lent? Traditionally, the two weeks of Passiontide begin on the fifth Sunday of Lent. The first week is Passion Week, and the second week is Holy Week. The traditional Gospel reading for this Sunday focuses on the increasing hatred against Christ from the Jewish authorities.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
7 movies for Holy Week and Easter...
Once upon a time Hollywood chose biblical material, portrayed it fairly faithfully, and often won Academy Awards for doing so. Those days may be gone, but even as we plan to fill baskets and color eggs, we can bring these classics into our homes to create more meaningful traditions to share with our children and lead them to a deeper understanding of Easter.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,665,816.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Top 10 Bible Passages About Penance...
If you're like me, the commitments of Lent are becoming a bit more difficult. To keep your eyes on the prize, here are the Top Ten Bible verses on Penance. In Greek, we often find in Scripture the Greek term "metanoia" which is a deep "transformation of mind" of conformity to God. In Latin, we find "agite paenitentiam" or "do penance."

Upvote 0