United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Cleaning Out the Junk

Editor’s Note: Paula Huston is one of the best contemporary writers on spirituality. Her new book, Simplifying the Soul (Ave Maria Press) provides a daily meditation and small but significant ascetic practice for each day of Lent. We think it will become a classic and be used for years to come. If you are looking for a guide through Lent, this is it. CE will be running an excerpt from the book each week during Lent.

http://catholicexchange.com/cleaning-out-the-junk/

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Upvote 0

balesom

Miserere nobis.
Feb 9, 2009
Central Valley, California
✟15,871.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
So yesterday was different for me. It's the first year I haven't given up all meat for Lent... and I already forgot to not eat meat yesterday. There was an incident involving a turkey sandwich. Didn't think anything about it, until about dinnertime. :doh:

Upvote 0
Jan 7, 2012
✟15,350.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
Video: Archbishop Chaput explains how you should prepare for Lent...

I love him so much, he was my Archbishop in Denver. He would celebrate Mass almost every single Sunday night, and stand in the door like any Pastor and greet the parishioners as they left.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Desert of the Most Holy Sacrament...
Mother Mectilde de Bar preached this exhortation to her community assembled in Chapter one Ash Wednesday. A true Benedictine, she puts her finger on pride, identifying it as "the source of all our faults and even of all our misfortunes."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The Key to True Fasting...
Required fasting is almost non-existent in the Catholic Church today. Even the two days where fasting is required for those over 18 and under 60, it is really a mitigated fast of two small “snack-like” meals and one regular sized meal (no snacks in between now!). Not really a fast at all.

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
You're going to die...
On Ash Wednesday, as we went up for ashes, there's a good chance that as he applied them to our foreheads, the priest said, “Remember, man, that you are dust, and to dust you shall return,” a reference to Genesis 3:19. A friend of mine asked how we, as Catholics, should understand this...

Upvote 0

cajunhillbilly

Jul 4, 2004
Dallas, TX
✟16,522.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Politics
US-Republican
You're going to die...
On Ash Wednesday, as we went up for ashes, there's a good chance that as he applied them to our foreheads, the priest said, “Remember, man, that you are dust, and to dust you shall return,” a reference to Genesis 3:19. A friend of mine asked how we, as Catholics, should understand this...

Gee they do the same thing at Anglican churches.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,655,022.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married