Teaching (no posting) The Law a full spectrum thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Here is the peanut link, for this thread.

http://www.christianforums.com/t7851027/#post66610648

The law is a very extensive topic, because though the law was one legal code, it covered farming, moral laws, food, feast, Sabbath, dress codes, etc. It was the heart of the Old Cov, Lev 26:15, says, break my laws, break my Cov.

Lev 26:15 if you spurn my statutes, and if your soul abhors my rules, so that you will not do all my commandments, but break my covenant,

The 10 were in the Old Cov.

Deut 4:13 And he declared to you his covenant, which he commanded you to perform, that is, the Ten Commandments, and he wrote them on two tablets of stone.

It was called the Book of the law, or the Book of the Covenant. There are several more verses that refer to it as so.

. Exodus 24:7 Then he took the Book of the Covenant and read it in the hearing of the people. And they said, “All that the LORD has spoken we will do, and we will be obedient.”

Generally though, on this thread, I will be short and sweet on each post, to the point, just a verse or 2, and a brief commentary per post.I think that is better than a book format, and also a single thought, is more easily digested.:)

I will open my next post, post #2, as to why the law was given, seems like a good place to start. Generally I will be topical, for a while, then move on to who the law was given too, that would not be the church, or gentiles, food stuff, feasts, how it was abolished on the cross, etc.

There is a lot to come, I love this issue, so thanks! Frog.

Last edited:

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Why did the law come? Paul is short-n-sweet, and to the point. Not to take away sin, but to increase it. It did then, and does now. There are more verses to to show this dynamic, as the frog will show soon.

Rom 5:20 Now the law came in to increase the trespass, but where sin increased, grace abounded all the more,

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Sinful passions aroused by wha!??..

Yep..the law....

Rom 7:5 For while we were living in the flesh, our sinful passions, aroused by the law, were at work in our members to bear fruit for death

Notice how it says, "fruit for death"?

All showing how people can't bear fruit by law.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
The death word from Rom 7:5 is confirmed here, and as I will post later, elsewhere.

2 Cor 3:7 Now if the ministry of death, carved in letters on stone, came with such glory that the Israelites could not gaze at Moses' face because of its glory, which was being brought to an end,

Makes me wonder why the law people like a death ministry?:confused:

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Yup, Paul was a new cov minister, not a letter killer..there is another death connection word here, and there are more.:)

2 Cor 3:6 who has made us sufficient to be ministers of a new covenant, not of the letter but of the Spirit. For the letter kills, but the Spirit gives life.

I will get into the dynamic of law, and more killing in matters of principle later.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
The Old Cov ministers today, think they are being spiritual always focusing on sin, instead of imputing righteousness.

So when they wield the principle of law, they work death, and actually separate people from God, using the command.

Sin used the command. Death followed, one is now feeling detached from the Lord, with a bound conscience, that which Hebrews teaches us not to have.

Rom 7:11 For sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, deceived me and through it killed me.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Gee, if apart from the law, sin lies dead, what happens to people who live in a commandment mode under the law?

Answer>>>>>>>>>>>>>> sin comes alive!:doh:

Rom 7:8 But sin, seizing an opportunity through the commandment, produced in me all kinds of covetousness. For apart from the law, sin lies dead.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Look at this, Paul is telling saved people, that if they live under law, sin will have dominion over them! The conjunction of sin and law is getting more and more clear..

Rom 6:14 For sin will have no dominion over you, since you are not under law but under grace.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
History confirms it, they were imprisoned under sin, AND law, the conjunction is seen again, and notice how he uses the prison word also for law life.

Gal 3:22 But the Scripture imprisoned everything under sin, so that the promise by faith in Jesus Christ might be given to those who believe.

23 Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law, imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed.

He said dying to what held him captive in Rom 7:6, same kind of word as imprisoned, and it was indeed the law, oh my! :D

Rom 7:6 But now we are released from the law, having died to that which held us captive, so that we serve in the new way of the Spirit and not in the old way of the written code

All and all, it was a law sin prison, not a good way to live.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
In Rom 7:6 above, Paul said he died to law, he said it also in Gal 2:19, he said we did too in 7:4, and Col 2:20..

Ok, I will let you in on a little secret. Guess who else died to the law?....

Jesus!

Rom 7:4 Likewise, my brothers, you also have died to the law through the body of Christ, so that you may belong to another, to him who has been raised from the dead, in order that we may bear fruit for God.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Don't forget, the prison words above, the Lord ransomed, rescued people (slaves) out of that system.

Gal 4:5 to redeem those who were under the law, so that we might receive adoption as sons. 6 And because you are sons, God has sent the Spirit of his Son into our hearts, crying, “Abba! Father!” 7 So you are no longer a slave, but a son, and if a son, then an heir through God.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Ok, so the sin law conjunction issue is proved, and before I get into when the law came, and who it was for, and when and for whom was it abolished, I thought this tid-bit might be of interest, look at what some important ones, said,and agreed with others, about the law.

Look at what Jesus, Paul, Peter and James, said about the law. The law that James and Peter, did not want to burden the church with, as Peter called it a YOKE, in Acts 15. All agreeing with Paul, who in Galatians 2:4, said we did not let them enslave you with law.

Jesus..

Rev 2:24 But to the rest of you in Thyatira, who do not hold this teaching, who have not learned what some call the deep things of Satan, to you I say, I do not lay on you any other burden.

James….same wordage as Jesus in Revelation.

Acts 15:28 For it has seemed good to the Holy Spirit and to us to lay on you no greater burden than these requirements:

Peter..yoke, then Paul yoke..

Acts 15:10 Now, therefore, why are you putting God to the test by placing a yoke on the neck of the disciples that neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear?

Paul..

Galatians 5:1 For freedom Christ has set us free; stand firm therefore, and do not submit again to a yoke of slavery.

James...don't trouble the church by putting the full Torah on them.

Acts 15:19 Therefore my judgment is that we should not trouble those of the Gentiles who turn to God,

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
The law was never, ever, given to Gentiles, let alone the church. No feasts, food restrictions, or Sabbath for the church.

Who did God declare the rules to and who did He not deal with?

Psalm 147:19 He declares his word to Jacob, his statutes and rules to Israel.20 He has not dealt thus with any other nation; (gentiles mine) they do not know his rules.
Praise the LORD!

Who??? Israel..that is not the church, or gentiles!:D

2 Chronicles 2:4 Behold, I am about to build a house for the name of the LORD my God and dedicate it to him for the burning of incense of sweet spices before him, and for the regular arrangement of the showbread, and for burnt offerings morning and evening, on the Sabbaths and the new moons and the appointed feasts of the LORD our God, as ordained forever for Israel.

Passover of the Gentiles, or Jews?

John 2:13
The Passover of the Jews was at hand, and Jesus went up to Jerusalem.

John 6:4
Now the Passover, the feast of the Jews, was at hand.

John 11:55
Now the Passover of the Jews was at hand, and many went up from the country to Jerusalem before the Passover to purify themselves

Oh my, no Passover for gentiles, unless they converted to Judaism, via circumcision..again, that is not for the church..

Exodus 12:48
When a stranger sojourning with you wishes to keep the Passover to the Lord, let all his males be circumcised, and then let him come near and keep it; and he shall be as one that is born in the land. But no uncircumcised person shall eat of it.

Gee...who were outside the law?;)

1 Cor 9:21 To those outside the law (gentiles mine) I became as one outside the law (not being outside the law of God but under the law of Christ) that I might win those outside the law.

Who were the ones without the law?

Rom 2:12 For all who have sinned without the law (gentiles mine)will also perish without the law, and all who have sinned under the law will be judged by the law.

Who were the "us" of the cov mentioned? The old cov.

Deuteronomy5:3
Not with our fathers did the LORD make this covenant, but with us, who are all of us here alive today.

Oh, so again,God let the gentiles walk in their ways. Why? they were not given the law.

Acts 14:16 In past generations he allowed all the nations (Gentiles) to walk in their own ways.

Who were in ignorance of the law? The gentiles.;)

Acts 17:30 The times of ignorance (Gentiles) God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent,

Peter said the ignorance word too, about gentiles, they were not under the law.1 Peter 1:14 As obedient children, do not be conformed to the passions of your former ignorance,

Who were given the laws? See red below.

Romans 9:4 They are Israelites, and to them belong the adoption, the glory, the covenants, the giving of the law, the worship, and the promises.

Alrighty now, plenty of text to prove the point, the Sabbath, feasts, food laws were nor for gentiles, then or now, and not for the church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
These verses show, how it was the law, that created the enmity, hostility, between Jew and Greeks, obviously because the Gentiles were not under, or given the law.

Eph 2:14 For he himself is our peace, who has made us both one and has broken down in his flesh the dividing wall of hostility 15 by abolishing the law of commandments expressed in ordinances, that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace,

It was unlawful for Greeks to go into the temple. Why? They would defile it, because they were not under law, not circumised, not ritually clean, not Jewish.

Acts 21:28 KJV Crying out, Men of Israel, help: This is the man, that teacheth all men every where against the people, and the law, and this place: and further brought Greeks also into the temple, and hath polluted this holy place.

Defiled if Jews went into the governors home, all showing that Greeks were not given the law or under it, and that is for now too, especially for the church.

John 18:28 Then they led Jesus from the house of Caiaphas to the governor's headquarters. It was early morning. They themselves did not enter the governor's headquarters, so that they would not be defiled, but could eat the Passover.

Yes, Peter even said it was unlawful to keep company with gentiles.

Acts 10:28 KJV And he said unto them, Ye know how that it is an unlawful thing for a man that is a Jew to keep company, or come unto one of another nation; but God hath shewed me that I should not call any man common or unclean.

Peter uses the unlawful word in his own epistle, and it was about the Law. So when people try to say it (unlawful) did not mean what is says in Acts 10:28, they are mistaken for sure.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Peter was cool in Acts 15, he said it in his own way, we, and our fathers were under a burden of the law, the yoke, so why put it on the Gentiles? Acts 15 is more confirmation that the law was never for Gentiles, let alone the church.

Acts 1:10 Now, therefore, why are you putting God to the test by placing a yoke on the neck of the disciples that neither our fathers nor we have been able to bear?

It says disciples too, inclusive word there, already used in Acts for the church, that had both Jews ans Greeks, and that means that even the Jewish Christians in the other churches do not have to live under the yoke also.

The Jewish Christians in Antioch, were living as Gentiles. So how much more, would the Gentiles not be bound to the law?

So no law binding in the New Cov church.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
The law was temporary, UNTIL Christ.

Gal 3:19 Why then the law? It was added because of transgressions, until the offspring should come to whom the promise had been made, and it was put in place through angels by an intermediary.

Later I will share on just how much Paul fought off the law, when the law teachers tried to add law sanctification, on the churches, and how Paul actually had a healthy fear of that teaching.

Upvote 0

Frogster

Galatians is the best!
Sep 7, 2009
✟74,317.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Widowed
Politics
US-Republican
Here is that until word again...

Gal 3:23 Now before faith came, we were held captive under the law, imprisoned until the coming faith would be revealed.

The faith was revealed, that new era came now, so no more law era, which confirms this powerhouse verse. End of the law, to them who believe, same as the above verse, the coming faith came, that ended the law era.

Rom 10:4 For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.