Visit site
✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
The Last "I Love You"

*** WARNING Tissues Needed ***

Carol's husband was killed in an accident last year. Jim, only fifty-two years old, was driving home from work, the other driver was a teenager with a very high blood alcohol level. Jim died instantly. The teenager was in the emergency room for less than two hours.

There were other ironic twists: It was Carol's fiftieth birthday, and Jim had two plane tickets to Hawaii in his pocket. He was going to surprise her. Instead, he was killed by a drunk driver.

"How have you survived this?" I finally asked Carol, a year later.

Her eyes welled up with tears. I thought I had said the wrong thing, but she gently took my hand and said, "It's all right; I want to tell you. The day I married Jim, I promised I would never let him leave the house in the morning without telling him I loved him. He made the same promise. It got to be a joke between us, and as babies came along, it got to be a hard promise to keep. I remember running down the driveway, saying 'I love you' through clenched teeth when I was mad, or driving to the office to put a note in his car. It was a funny challenge.

"We made a lot of memories trying to say "I love you" before noon every day of our married life.

"The morning Jim died, he left a birthday card in the kitchen and slipped out to the car. I heard the engine starting. Oh, no, you don't, buster, I thought. I raced out and banged on the car window until he rolled it down.

"Here on my fiftieth birthday, Mr. James E. Garret, I Carol Garret, want to go on record as saying I love you!"

"That's how I've survived. Knowing that the last words I said to Jim were 'I love you!'

Written by Debbi Smoot

Submitted by Richard

Reactions: day2day

Heavenlyangeleyes07

Senior Veteran
Sep 3, 2003
VA
Visit site
✟4,892.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
awww thats a very touching story. Thanks for sharing that with us Richard. Thats like in our family we tell each other we love one another because of a tragic event that has happen in our family. the thing is though that i have to learn is if im upset with somone or mad at them i should still tell them i love them because i dont know when i will get to see them again and this story just made me realize that. Thanks for That Richard. :hug:

Upvote 0

The Story Teller

The Story Teller
Jun 27, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
✟28,184.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Heavenlyangeleyes07 said:
awww thats a very touching story. Thanks for sharing that with us Richard. Thats like in our family we tell each other we love one another because of a tragic event that has happen in our family. the thing is though that i have to learn is if im upset with somone or mad at them i should still tell them i love them because i dont know when i will get to see them again and this story just made me realize that. Thanks for That Richard. :hug:
I've told my daughters many times that I'll always love them but sometimes I don't like them. Let the truth be told..:) :wave:

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums