Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
1cor 15:33 Do not be deceived: “Evil company corrupts good habits.” 34 Awake to righteousness, and do not sin; for some do not have the knowledge of God. I speak this to your shame.

It is the knowledge of God that awakens you.

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟689,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Never made sense to me how God drops our sins in the sea of forgetfulness, but false teachers tell us we have to remember them.

The biggest lie in the body, I consider from satan himself.

Reactions: Truthfrees
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟689,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Sin focuses on failure, separation and eventually death. Righteousness focuses on overcoming, victory, relationship and life eternal.

We have to remember that Righteousness is not gain through an act of human endeavor, but of Divine Sacrifice.

With every temptation, God makes a way of escape, He does NOT cause you to live righteously in that He overrides your free will.

To say that God causes an action is false.

God didn't cause the children of Israel to be delivered from Egypt, He provided the way of escape. They had the ability to take it or stay, or even change their mind and go back.

There is no place in scripture that tells us to know or retain the knowledge of sin, but there are plenty that stress the knowledge of God.

2 Peter 1:2 Grace and peace be multiplied to you in the knowledge of God and of Jesus our Lord, 3 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, 4 by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. 5 But also for this very reason, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue, to virtue knowledge, 6 to knowledge self-control, to self-control perseverance, to perseverance godliness, 7 to godliness brotherly kindness, and to brotherly kindness love. 8 For if these things are yours and abound, you will be neither barren nor unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Focusing on your sin makes you unfruitful in the knowledge of our Lord Jesus Christ. It is of no use to the believer. It doesn't produce righteousness, remembrance of sin produces guilt, nothing more.

Upvote 0

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
<STAFF EDIT>

I think the OP is talking more about what we dwell on or think about. Jesus has chosen to forgive us our sin. He tells us once a sin has forgiven He has cast it as far as the east is from the west. Why would we not do the same thing that our Lord does?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Truthfrees
Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟689,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I think the OP is talking more about what we dwell on or think about. Jesus has chosen to forgive us our sin. He tells us once a sin has forgiven He has cast it as far as the east is from the west. Why would we not do the same thing that our Lord does?

A hearty amen!!

Upvote 0

Soyeong

Mar 10, 2015
Hudson
✟281,635.00
Country
United States
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single

I think we learn about things though contrast, such as if we had never experienced a change in temperature, then we wouldn't know whether we were hot or cold. We have an idea of hot only because we have an idea of cold and vice versa. So knowledge of good comes hand in hand with knowledge of evil, but simply knowing what is good or evil doesn't make us good or evil, which is why we need faith in God to be declared righteous so that by His Spirit working through us we can do what is righteous. I would agree that we should dwell on what is good and not focus on the sins we've committed that He has forgiven.

Upvote 0

Truthfrees

Supporter
May 20, 2015
✟277,188.00
Faith
Word of Faith
I think we learn about things though contrast, such as if we had never experienced a change in temperature, then we wouldn't know whether we were hot or cold. We have an idea of hot only because we have an idea of cold and vice versa. So knowledge of good comes hand in hand with knowledge of evil, but simply knowing what is good or evil doesn't make us good or evil, which is why we need faith in God to be declared righteous so that by His Spirit working through us we can do what is righteous. I would agree that we should dwell on what is good and not focus on the sins we've committed that He has forgiven.
:oldthumbsup: Very true.

I also find that once I know what's right and wrong, directing all my faith, energy, thoughts, etc toward what I should do, is the most efficient, profitable, positive use of my energy.

The following scriptures encourage us to focus on what TO DO rather than on what to avoid.

"This is the way, walk in it." - Isaiah 30:21

"Finally, brethren, whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things." - Philippians 4:8

"As a man thinks in his heart, so is he." - Proverbs 23:7

Reactions: Soyeong
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
<STAFF EDIT>

I don't doubt that we learn from contrast, however most of us have probably been up to our ears in sin before we have been saved, so we have that experience with contrast already to compare. But yes, hopefully we can all learn enough from our past sins.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Pink Spider

EUROPEAN ANGLICAN
Supporter
May 26, 2013
Sweden
✟38,072.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Single

WarningSign1.png

MOD HAT ON

This thread underwent a cleanup by CF-Staff.
Please remember CF Rules:

Congregational Forum Restrictions and Christians Only Forums
Members who do not truly share the core beliefs and teachings of a specific congregational forum may post in fellowship or ask questions, but they may not teach or debate within the forum. There are forums reserved for Christian members only. Please do not post in these forums unless you are truly a Christian (please see our Statement of Faith to know exactly what that is). If you wish to discuss unorthodox Christian theology, you may do so in the Controversial Theology forum.

MOD HAT OFF

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟689,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And failures we have overcome are what give us compassion. Humility is when we see God helping in our victory.

EXACTLY - what do you focus on - the failure or the overcoming. Do you spend 90% of the time concentrating on the failure, or do you thank God for the overcoming?

Which do you want to be good at? Overcoming or failing? Which will help others? The knowledge of failure, or how to overcome?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

ToBeLoved

Supporter
Jan 3, 2014
✟322,365.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Svt4Him said:
And failures we have overcome are what give us compassion. Humility is when we see God helping in our victory.
EXACTLY - what do you focus on - the failure or the overcoming. Do you spend 90% of the time concentrating on the failure, or do you thank God for the overcoming?

Which do you want to be good at? Overcoming or failing? Which will help others? The knowledge of failure, or how to overcome?

That's the problem with concentrating on sin, is that we can dwell forever in the past and in our own inadequacies.

That is why I believe that after we have been forgiven we are to stop dwelling on our sin and strive to do better next time.

Upvote 0

Gregory Thompson

Change is inevitable, feel free to spare some.
Supporter
Dec 20, 2009
Canada
✟721,286.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Christian Seeker
Marital Status
Married
what you focus on, you become.

Agree.

1 John 4
16 And we know and have believed the love which God hath in us. God is love; and he that abideth in love abideth in God, and God abideth in him.

17 Herein is love made perfect with us, that we may have boldness in the day of judgment; because as he is, even so are we in this world.

18 There is no fear in love: but perfect love casteth out fear, because fear hath punishment; and he that feareth is not made perfect in love.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟94,492.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
1cor 15:33 Do not be deceived: “Evil company corrupts good habits.” 34 Awake to righteousness, and do not sin; for some do not have the knowledge of God. I speak this to your shame.

It is the knowledge of God that awakens you.
And the contrast of rightousness makes us aware of sin..the lord convicts us so we can repent and deal with it and move on . :)

Upvote 0

hislegacy

Memories pre 2021
Supporter
Nov 15, 2006
Broken Arrow, OK
✟689,031.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
And the contrast of rightousness makes us aware of sin..the lord convicts us so we can repent and deal with it and move on . :)

Amen! It's the goodness of God that draws us to repentance!

Upvote 0