Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Psalm 12:6 The words of the LORD are pure words: as silver tried in a furnace of earth, purified seven times.
Psalm 12:7 Thou shalt keep them, O LORD, thou shalt preserve them from this generation for ever.

God's word is compared to refined silver.

It is melted, and the dross comes to the surface and is skimmed off.

The King James Bible that we read today is the KJV, 5th edition.

As Gail Riplinger puts it, God created a diamond in 1611, then polished it five times.

Some diamond this is, very pretty indeed:

"If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother ... Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city ... And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die."
Deuteronomy 21:18-21.

"Thus said the LORD of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt. Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass." I Samuel 15:2-3.

I could go on for 10 pages, but I hope you get the point.

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
The flesh is only temporary.
We are witness to this everyday.

You were ok when the talk was about love, but sorry, my mind is too logical to accept this. You might as well tell me there will be 80 virgins waiting for me in the afterlife, it would make no difference.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican

Some diamond this is, very pretty indeed:

"If a man have a stubborn and rebellious son, which will not obey the voice of his father, or the voice of his mother ... Then shall his father and his mother lay hold on him, and bring him out unto the elders of his city ... And they shall say unto the elders of his city, This our son is stubborn and rebellious, he will not obey our voice; he is a glutton, and a drunkard. And all the men of his city shall stone him with stones, that he die."
Deuteronomy 21:18-21.

"Thus said the LORD of hosts, I remember that which Amalek did to Israel, how he laid wait for him in the way, when he came up from Egypt. Now go and smite Amalek, and utterly destroy all that they have, and spare them not; but slay both man and woman, infant and suckling, ox and sheep, camel and ass." I Samuel 15:2-3.

I could go on for 10 pages, but I hope you get the point.
I get the point quite well -- do you? ever heard of dispensationalism?

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I get the point quite well -- do you? ever heard of dispensationalism?

Oh yeah, the fact that you pick and choose, at random, what to believe in the Bible? Yes, I heard about it and to me it is the biggest inconsistency of Christianity. But since you seem to be such a fan of the concept, let's discuss it, shall we?

Dispensationalism is a nineteenth-century evangelical development based on a futurist biblical hermeneutic that sees a series of chronologically successive "dispensations" or periods in history in which God relates to human beings in different ways under different Biblical covenants.

So let's assume for one second that the above is actually true. You use it all the time to say that laws that applied "back then" are not valid today because we have a different society.

Therefore, according to dispensationalism, God only tells us what we are ready to hear and understand, and some of his laws apply to some periods in history while others don't.

Now, when was Genesis written? Thousands of years before Christ, or in other words, during a VERY PRIMITIVE society. Do you think that anybody would have understood a word of what God had to say back then if he had used evolution to explain Genesis? DNA itself was discovered this century. If your dispensationalism is really a sound Christian principle, I can use it to completely dismiss the 7 day creation myth (just like you use it to dismiss the parts of the Bible you don't agree with).

Upvote 0

CabVet

Question everything
Dec 7, 2011
Los Altos, CA
✟28,402.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Shall I consider myself blessed to be in the presence of such an intellectual arena?

Not really, there are a lot of people like me around, all you need to do to notice them is stop ignoring them.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
Do you think that anybody would have understood a word of what God had to say back then if he had used evolution to explain Genesis?
Yes -- and for the record, you can apply that logic to the universe expanding.

Confirmed by the Hubble telescope in this century, yet mentioned in Psalms and Isaiah.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
And how effective are you on your mission field?
I do my part.

Ecclesiastes 11:1 Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days.

Upvote 0

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
This would be true if God wrote the King James Bible with His own hands; instead, He used fallen man to write It.

Im a sense, that has always been my point, hadn't it? Even if every word in scripture was inspired by God, it was written down, transcribed, translated and finally interpreted by fallible Man. The authors of the KJV were perhaps the best scholars of their day. Yet, they were all fallible human beings (or "fallen" if you prefer). The bible is therefore most accurately viewed as a work of Man, not God.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Split Rock

Conflation of Blathers
Nov 3, 2003
North Dakota
✟22,466.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
Perhaps you'll come to understand just how unconvincing your position is.

Are you kidding? they're my mission field.

And how effective are you on your mission field?

I do my part.

Ecclesiastes 11:1 Cast thy bread upon the waters: for thou shalt find it after many days.

Yet, you have in the past compared your success rate with that of Noah... in other words, failure. Is failure an option with God?

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,896,791.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
The bible is therefore most accurately viewed as a work of Man, not God.
Nope:

1 Thessalonians 2:13 For this cause also thank we God without ceasing, because, when ye received the word of God which ye heard of us, ye received it not as the word of men, but as it is in truth, the word of God, which effectually worketh also in you that believe.

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
OK. Finished reaing the article.. a few interesting tidbits:

1. The Geneva bible was the most popular in England before the KJV, but was very anti-royal. King James VI wanted a version that was of similar quality, but not anti-monarchy.

2. One of the purposes of the KJV was to produce a bible that was accessible to everyone, "even of the very vulgar." A very Protestant idea.

3. The number of idiomatic phrases we get from the KJV is quite startling. Everything from "fell flat on his face," to "the skin of my teeth."

4. It was a massive scholarly enterprise... 54 scholars of all types and expertise arranged in six subcommittees.

5. The first printings were wrought with errors, such as "Thou shall commit adultery."

The article says that the printer was fined heavily for number 5, I guess it could have been worse, it could have said 'thou shall worship other gods.' But seriously, thanks for letting me know about the article. I thought this was an impressive statistic:

the London-based British and Foreign Bible Society alone shipping more than a hundred million copies in the 80 years after it was founded in 1804. (King James Bible, National Geographic)​

Then of course the 'dark side' of the King James Bible legacy:

As the Bible of empire, it was also the Bible of slavery, and as such it continues to occupy an intricately ambivalent place in the postcolonial world.(Nat. Geo 2011)​

The 'postcolonial world' was the world described by Tocqueville in Democracy in America. It seems to me that the Bible was used in opposition as well as in support of slavery. Still, a thought provoking piece.

Grace and peace,
Mark

Upvote 0

mark kennedy

Natura non facit saltum
Supporter
Mar 16, 2004
Indianapolis, IN
✟549,630.00
Faith
Calvinist
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Democrat
Yet, they were all fallible human beings (or "fallen" if you prefer). The bible is therefore most accurately viewed as a work of Man, not God.

The Bible as a publication can certainly be viewed as a human publication, the message of Scripture being the Word of God, not man. It starts with this revelation (aka 'natural revelation'), followed by the message of the Gospel.

The wrath of God is being revealed from heaven against all the godlessness and wickedness of people, who suppress the truth by their wickedness, since what may be known about God is plain to them, because God has made it plain to them. (Rom 1:18, 19)​

The revelation finding it's ultimate purpose in the person and work of Christ:

For in the gospel the righteousness of God is revealed—a righteousness that is by faith from first to last, just as it is written: “The righteous will live by faith.”(Rom 1:17)​

This theme is repeated throughout Paul's exposition of the Gospel in his letter to the Romans. Just thought the distinction between God's revelation and the Bible as a publication was important. The actual fact is that the Bible is only considered canonical in the original.

Have a nice day :)
Mark

Upvote 0