✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Why?

Cats shouldn't live their lives enclosed in a house.

They shouldn't be put outside at the mercy of cars, attacks by other animals, and people who get their jollies by abusing and killing animals, or hoarders who steal other peoples' pets to add to their collections. I happen to live in an urban area where all four dangers are all too prevalent. People who do so and then go whining to the media like this family has done should be charged with neglect, because they put their cats all in harm's way. If they had kept them on their own property this would not have happened.

Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Contra Dancing Pagan Warrior
Mar 15, 2006
Troy, NY temporarily displaced to Schenectady, NY
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I was just complaining to my friend about how I've never seen a deer locally, and we aren't in the city or suburbs! We're literally one step away from the pure country in a tiny town with woods surrounding and isolating us.

Seriously, do NOT complain! I live in upstate NY, just 30 miles from the Massachusetts state line and, despite living in a very urban part of the state, we are overrun with deer. One reason is that we have so many little pockets of green space in the midst of the concrete, so that is an attraction for them.

You hit one of them, they are big enough that they will do a number on your car and you will be paying a considerable amount for the resulting bodywork. I've been lucky so far, but I have had numerous close-calls. Thankfully, I have AAA Plus, which gives me 100 free miles in case my car would need to be flatbedded to a repair shop.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

FreeSpirit74

Contra Dancing Pagan Warrior
Mar 15, 2006
Troy, NY temporarily displaced to Schenectady, NY
Visit site
✟11,834.00
Faith
Pagan
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
We have to manage a lot of animal populations here. We have the highest population density of any state, but also the highest % of woodlands. It becomes intertwined and you can end up with deer, bear, coyotes, right in the middle of a major city sometimes. I live in a development and a bear was casually crossing the road a quarter mile away.

That's surprising. I would think NY would have you beat, with just the Adirondack Park alone, at 6 million acres. And then you throw in the Catskill Region and the entire Hudson Valley from Albany on south.

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
They shouldn't be put outside at the mercy of cars, attacks by other animals, and people who get their jollies by abusing and killing animals, or hoarders who steal other peoples' pets to add to their collections. I happen to live in an urban area where all four dangers are all too prevalent. People who do so and then go whining to the media like this family has done should be charged with neglect, because they put their cats all in harm's way. If they had kept them on their own property this would not have happened.
In fairness, keeping a cat confined to a single property can be difficult, if the cat is a roamer.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I hunt with a camera. But that is enough to understand sport hunting. There is the search (hunt) for the subject. There is slow and careful work to get close enough and at the right angle for a good shot. Harder in my case as I care about the background.

This does not qualify as sport either, it is 'hunting' a tame animal. It is like shooting deer at a salt lick. (Acceptable for a food hunter, but not sport by any definition).
This was just in my FB feed, with the caption, "This is how real men shoot animals...", and I immediately thought of this thread and you. Of course, I'm sure when you go out with a camera, you point it AT the animal, but it's the sentiment that counts...
1558560_233799490077745_732379464_n.jpg

Upvote 0

keith99

sola dosis facit venenum
Jan 16, 2008
✟321,245.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
This was just in my FB feed, with the caption, "This is how real men shoot animals...", and I immediately thought of this thread and you. Of course, I'm sure when you go out with a camera, you point it AT the animal, but it's the sentiment that counts...
1558560_233799490077745_732379464_n.jpg

Well I was known to let our Presa Canario chew on my arm. Surprisingly soft mouth, especially considering he had the power to bite clean through an arm.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
http://news.yahoo.com/lion-zimbabweans-ask-amid-global-cecil-circus-140822692.html

As social media exploded with outrage this week at the killing of Cecil the lion, the untimely passing of the celebrated predator at the hands of an American dentist went largely unnoticed in the animal's native Zimbabwe.

"What lion?" acting information minister Prisca Mupfumira asked in response to a request for comment about Cecil, who was at that moment topping global news bulletins and generating reams of abuse for his killer on websites in the United States and Europe.

The government has still given no formal response, and on Thursday the papers that chose to run the latest twist in the Cecil saga tucked it away on inside pages.

One title had to rely on foreign news agency copy because it failed to send a reporter to the court appearance of two locals involved.

In contrast, the previous evening 200 people stood in protest outside the suburban Minneapolis dental practice of 55-year-old Walter Palmer, calling for him to be extradited to Zimbabwe to face charges of taking part in an illegal hunt.

Local police are also investigating death threats against Palmer, whose location is not known. Because many of the threats were online, police are having difficulty determining their origins and credibility.

Palmer, a lifelong big game hunter, has admitted killing Cecil with a bow and arrow on July 1 near Zimbabwe's Hwange national park, but said he had hired professional local guides with the required hunting permits and believed the hunt was legal.

For most people in the southern African nation, where unemployment tops 80 percent and the economy continues to feel the after-effects of billion percent hyperinflation a decade ago, the uproar had all the hallmarks of a 'First World Problem'.

"Are you saying that all this noise is about a dead lion? Lions are killed all the time in this country," said Tryphina Kaseke, a used-clothes hawker on the streets of Harare. "What is so special about this one?"

As with many countries in Africa, in Zimbabwe big wild animals such as lions, elephants or hippos are seen either as a potential meal, or a threat to people and property that needs to be controlled or killed.

The world of Palmer, who paid $50,000 to kill 13-year-old Cecil, is a very different one from that inhabited by millions of rural Africans who are more than occasionally victims of wild animal attacks.

According to CrocBITE, a database, from January 2008 to October 2013, there were more than 460 recorded attacks by Nile crocodiles, most of them fatal. That tally is almost certainly a massive underrepresentation.

"Why are the Americans more concerned than us?" said Joseph Mabuwa, a 33-year-old father-of-two cleaning his car in the center of the capital. "We never hear them speak out when villagers are killed by lions and elephants in Hwange."

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Last edited:
Upvote 0

SepiaAndDust

There's a FISH in the percolator
May 6, 2012
Mid-America
✟26,546.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
What a disgusting human being he is. Killing one of God's most magnificent and proud creatures, for little more than his sick thrills and entertainment. I can't deny that I'm happy his dental practice, and hopefully his career, has been ended by this senseless killing.

Upvote 0

Glass*Soul

Senior Veteran
May 14, 2005
✟31,902.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
What a disgusting human being he is. Killing one of God's most magnificent and proud creatures, for little more than his sick thrills and entertainment. I can't deny that I'm happy his dental practice, and hopefully his career, has been ended by this senseless killing.

Even without the motive of protesting his behavior or teaching him a lesson, I would not want someone with a history of sexual harassment and getting his thrills by killing the most magnificent animals he can manage, someone who is that caught up in demonstrating his dominance, having me in the vulnerable sort of position a dentist has his patients.

Upvote 0

abysmul

Board Game Hobbyist
Jun 17, 2008
Almost Heaven
✟60,490.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others

I hope that everyone who disagrees with you (or the actions you take in life) doesn't wish your life/career ruined, let alone find happiness in such ruin.

Upvote 0

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Even without the motive of protesting his behavior or teaching him a lesson, I would not want someone with a history of sexual harassment and getting his thrills by killing the most magnificent animals he can manage, someone who is that caught up in demonstrating his dominance, having me in the vulnerable sort of position a dentist has his patients.

I was thinking of exactly that. He's a dentist- one of the most caring professions around. How, oh how, can he possibly act as a dentist, and then go out and murder animals? It's a complete paradox, and you can bet I'd change dentist in a heartbeat if I discovered mine enjoyed killing helpless animals from a distance.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Supreme

British
Jul 30, 2009
London
✟22,685.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
I hope that everyone who disagrees with you (or the actions you take in life) doesn't wish your life/career ruined, let alone find happiness in such ruin.
Me too. Additionally, I hope that I never find pleasure in killing innocent creatures, which would probably be just as bad.

Upvote 0

Armoured

Site Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
http://news.yahoo.com/lion-zimbabweans-ask-amid-global-cecil-circus-140822692.html

As social media exploded with outrage this week at the killing of Cecil the lion, the untimely passing of the celebrated predator at the hands of an American dentist went largely unnoticed in the animal's native Zimbabwe.

"What lion?" acting information minister Prisca Mupfumira asked in response to a request for comment about Cecil, who was at that moment topping global news bulletins and generating reams of abuse for his killer on websites in the United States and Europe.

The government has still given no formal response, and on Thursday the papers that chose to run the latest twist in the Cecil saga tucked it away on inside pages.

One title had to rely on foreign news agency copy because it failed to send a reporter to the court appearance of two locals involved.

In contrast, the previous evening 200 people stood in protest outside the suburban Minneapolis dental practice of 55-year-old Walter Palmer, calling for him to be extradited to Zimbabwe to face charges of taking part in an illegal hunt.

Local police are also investigating death threats against Palmer, whose location is not known. Because many of the threats were online, police are having difficulty determining their origins and credibility.

Palmer, a lifelong big game hunter, has admitted killing Cecil with a bow and arrow on July 1 near Zimbabwe's Hwange national park, but said he had hired professional local guides with the required hunting permits and believed the hunt was legal.

For most people in the southern African nation, where unemployment tops 80 percent and the economy continues to feel the after-effects of billion percent hyperinflation a decade ago, the uproar had all the hallmarks of a 'First World Problem'.

"Are you saying that all this noise is about a dead lion? Lions are killed all the time in this country," said Tryphina Kaseke, a used-clothes hawker on the streets of Harare. "What is so special about this one?"

As with many countries in Africa, in Zimbabwe big wild animals such as lions, elephants or hippos are seen either as a potential meal, or a threat to people and property that needs to be controlled or killed.

The world of Palmer, who paid $50,000 to kill 13-year-old Cecil, is a very different one from that inhabited by millions of rural Africans who are more than occasionally victims of wild animal attacks.

According to CrocBITE, a database, from January 2008 to October 2013, there were more than 460 recorded attacks by Nile crocodiles, most of them fatal. That tally is almost certainly a massive underrepresentation.

"Why are the Americans more concerned than us?" said Joseph Mabuwa, a 33-year-old father-of-two cleaning his car in the center of the capital. "We never hear them speak out when villagers are killed by lions and elephants in Hwange."
7 billion humans on the planet, 300,000 lions. Killing one lion is therefore equivalent to killing 21,000 humans, percentage-wise, if my maths is right.

Look, I get that people faced with day to day survival challenges in a failed state like Mugabe's Zimbabwe probably find this reaction to a lion's death nonsensical. But, IMHO, those of us with the ability to look at larger pictures due to our luck at being in the first world, have responsibility to deal with issues that others can't practically be expected to.

Upvote 0

Red Fox

Dec 14, 2014
✟23,169.00
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Private

I happen to agree with you. I find comfort in knowing that he's receiving such a tremendous public backlash for what he's done. I sincerely hope that all the shame he's getting will prevent him from furthering his killing spree of wild, majestic animals in the future. He'll never be able to show his face in public again without being known for what he did to Cecil the lion or even to the other majestic animals he slaughtered or helped slaughter throughout his wild animal killing spree. It'll haunt him for the rest of his life.

Upvote 0