Titus 3:4-7
Aug 21, 2016
World
✟22,115.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I recently started a new job about 4 weeks ago, and I am seriously considering quitting. I’m looking for feedback from women only as to what you think of my new job and whether you would also quit. I just started to try to find another new job now, but if I don’t get one in the next 2-3 weeks I will just have to quit without another one.

There is an awful lot of complaining going on in this company. It seems like almost nobody is happy. I’ve heard it frequently employees voicing their concerns that they are afraid they are going to get sick. Semi frequent swearing goes on backstabbing other employees using swear words. Gossip is common. While the boss is away the employees complain about him, saying how much they dislike him, and that he is driving everyone crazy. From the very beginning it seems like they were deliberately trying to get me to leave, but I know that that is isn’t true. I think they just don’t know what they are doing.

Since I sit out in the open it seems to be that I am entitled to no privacy. It seems people think they can voice their thoughts to me as they walk by. They don’t think about the fact that I have to work too and need to concentrate. They are lucky, they have their own offices. I find it very tiring and exhausting to have to listen to certain people voice their negative emotions out on me. Several times they will congregate close to my desk and start a personal conversation all about the problems about their health or their family. I have no where to go but to have to listen.

The biggest problem I have encountered is that when I was being trained, the person who was training me (I’ll call her Sharon) was very verbally and emotionally abusive to me. She went 100 miles an hour in showing me a new database and application, many times and often wouldn’t stay on topic and just make a huge confusing mess of it. She also wouldn’t really allow me much time to take any notes. She was extremely.. I mean extremely impatient. She was akin to flipping out..having a mini fit! Many times she would just hiss at me that she didn’t have time to train me, as they were very behind. But I was hired to help her and get things moving faster, you’d think she would be so happy and take the time to train me properly. On top of all that, if I asked a question, she would look at me like ‘duh’ or just say something like “Of course!” and make me look like an idiot. I could go on, but at the end of two days I thought I would break down and cry. As it ended up , the next day she apologized to me giving some reasons about the problems she was having in life. She was quite nice after that and much more patient, but still she couldn’t explain her job that made any sense at all. She kept saying to me that she was so used to doing everything automatically, that she never thought about things anymore.

After a week, it eventually happened that I got another person who used to do the job train me. It was just really getting more information and clarification. It was amazing, the difference, and I understood everything she told me and things just started clicking from then on. I was so grateful, because when I was first hired I was told right away, that the person before me was fired because she couldn’t get the system. And I think from that day on it really spoiled my view of everything, because it put so much pressure on me to learn this system that seemed like it would be so hard. But it really wasn’t, and in the end it just came down to being trained properly.

Last week I found out that I was still missing information, and then we ran into problems because of something I didn’t do. It turned out it was because I was not told about it due to their lack of training. I was not reprimanded or anything, but I did feel bad that it happened. It’s hard to tell whether they believed it was that I didn’t receive that bit of information, or if it was me.

I thought after that episode with Sharon that things would be different. But just last Friday she asked me a question and I tried to explain to her and she flipped out again saying she didn’t have time to listen to me. Later in the day she had a mini fit like a 2 year old. Her body was shaking up and down because she was frustrated. This is the person I have to work with and in assisting/taking over for her.

It isn’t just her either. The other women are unfriendly, and their personalities can be rude and ornary. At one point someone was supposed to show me where a file was, and they didn’t show me because they just I guess didn’t want to.

There is one person who giggles frequently throughout the day. I’ll call her Misty. Misty also demands my attention regularly. At a couple occasions she has come up to me and asked why I look so sad? I am getting so tired of it. She told me to not worry and stop being so overwhelmed. But I never complained about it, to her or anybody. She told me that they put so much upon me so early, but I should not let it get to me. Lol You see, I have trained 2 temps already just in the short 3-4 weeks I have been there, and I don’t even know my full position. So I was not only training and learning Sharon’s job, but I also had to train 2 temps and show them everything and answer all their questions etc. so that I could concentrate fully on Sharon’s job. It has been so exhausting, I have never ever been in a situation like this.

The irony of Misty is that while I was waiting for the temp to arrive and doing 2 jobs at the same time on Friday, Misty came by and reported to me that while she is away I would have to do her job and fill in. I have never Heard of this before from anybody. She proceeded to show me what she does and I sat there and was in shock!!!!!!! that of all the people, Misty would be trying to teach me her job in such a random and informal way. Again this time, she never let me reach for a piece of paper and pencil to write down the steps. It seemed because she was leaving early that day, that she was telling me I’d have to do it that day along with everything else. What ? I’m supposed to now do the jobs of her too, and I am being paid so much less? Anyways, she then left and told me she would come back later sometime and show it to me again. Later that day Misty came by and asked me why I looked like a “deer in the headlights” while she was talking to me. She then told me she thought I looked much happier in the afternoon, as opposed to the morning when I looked sad. I wish she would stop commenting on how I look and telling me how to feel!!!

Lastly the boss came to me one day and asked me to start doing the job I was training for. He has no idea what it all involves and he didn’t know that I at the time was not an expert yet on the job!? I had to tell him I was not, and I felt the pressure to be fired!

I have never felt this disrespected and alone in my life. Being a new person it is hard to speak up, because I don’t know anyone very well and I don’t know my own job and how everything flows. Being new you also don’t want to step on anyone’s toes, and cause conflict right from the very beginning, not knowing anyone’s personality and who you might make an enemy with. In any case, it has been so very stressful and I am so unhappy. This company is trouble.

Would anyone else quit with a job like this? Sometimes I wonder if I am being too sensitive? I haven't working in several years, so I dont know if things have gotten worse or what ? I never had any of these problems like these before. I just needed to vent somewhere, and get other people's opinions becuase I feel so alone. I just feel so like a fish out of water at this place.

I'd appreciate anyone's feedback.

Thanks so much.

Last edited:

tturt

Senior Veteran
Site Supporter
Oct 30, 2006
✟797,299.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I haven't been in this exact situation previously but can offer this -
I would pray and asks Yahweh for His wisdom (James 1:5) and to show His fruit of The Spirit (Gal 5:22-23).

Don't think it's professional to gossip, backstab, or bad mouth the manager even though many offices operate in that manner. Know if you leave this job because of that, it'll be that way at your next job probably. Glad you haven't joined in their conversations. Is it against company policy to wear headphones? Maybe you could block some of their conversations that way. Since "Sharon" shared with you some of the stresses she's experiencing, you know that's probably the reason why she's acting the way she is towards you. It seems like "Misty" is trying to be encouraging some. When they frown on you for taking notes, I would just say we all learn differently and do it anyway. Guess they don't have written job descriptions or procedure manuals . For the person that gave you better training, perhaps you could put a flower on her desk or some gesture to show your appreciation. As far as no one showing you the file you needed and some of the other situations, you could try to use humor as much as possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Persis

Aug 21, 2016
World
✟22,115.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Why do you want only female advice? I have gone through a similar situation myself.
Hi Dysert, it is because men and women are SO different, and we handle stress and problems very differently. I have experience where I will ask for help or advice from a male and he will just give me this simple one sentence answer that ends up making me feel invalidated and not any better. I am also a natural empath and I seem to absorb other people's emotions and energies which makes me exhausted by the end of the day especially in a work environment I am in. I dont know if this is a personality thing or just a skill I haven't learned, but it can really kill a person's health..

Feel free to tell me how you handled your similar situation, you have made me curious now. thks.

Upvote 0

Persis

Aug 21, 2016
World
✟22,115.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I haven't been in this exact situation previously but can offer this -
I would pray and asks Yahweh for His wisdom (James 1:5) and to show His fruit of The Spirit (Gal 5:22-23).

Don't think it's professional to gossip, backstab, or bad mouth the manager even though many offices operate in that manner. Know if you leave this job because of that, it'll be that way at your next job probably. Glad you haven't joined in their conversations. Is it against company policy to wear headphones? Maybe Huiyou could block some of their conversations that way. Since "Sharon" shared with you some of the stresses she's experiencing, you know that's probably the reason why she's acting the way she is towards you. It seems like "Misty" is trying to be encouraging some. When they frown on you for taking notes, I would just say we all learn differently and do it anyway. Guess they don't have written job descriptions or procedure manuals . For the person that gave you better training, perhaps you could put a flower on her desk or some gesture to show your appreciation. As far as no one showing you the file you needed and some of the other situations, you could try to use humor as much as possible.

Hi Turt, thanks for your reply. I wish I could wear headphones. I did that when I was in my last job, but only because I could. I had a job where most communication was through email, and I was pretty much left to myself. Part of this job requires me to answer the phones, so there is not any chance I can wear them. I will look up the scriptures you have posted . I would love to know what God thinks of my situation. I have been praying but if things dont change I have a strong feeling He wouldn't want me to be in such an abusive environment, but it perplexes me that I got this job out of all the jobs I applied for. Perhaps it's just life, and living in a fallen world, and He didn't pick this job for me, like I thought in the beginning. He has been teaching me lately about good boundaries, as I tend to be a co dependant, so I find it very interesting that I got this job. Unfortunately, I dont see I have a lot of power to change the environment, except to pray, but if it doesnt get better, I cannot stay. I feel my health would deteriorate, possibly my personality would denigrate to something similiar to theirs.

Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
one advice, though i am a man, try to consult someone who is aware of the things you don't know how to deal with at work - it does not necessarily have to be someone from the company you work for, or find an adequate information on the internet or in appropriate books - i tell you this because some colleagues may be (very) adversarial, i know it from experience, i worked in companies of this kind, and can still remember how many colleagues preferred not to be helpful to others even in order to eliminate as many of them as possible so that they may get rid of any competition endangering their positions in the company and knowing that they could so get a higher salary - call it greed/avarice

Blessings

Upvote 0

turkle

Blessed
Jan 25, 2004
✟226,707.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
From what you've said, it appears that you are overwhelmed, and your non-verbals are showing just that. It also sounds like you are not speaking up for yourself when needed - when you say you are not allowed to take notes, you are making yourself a victim. You can tell the person that you need to write things down so that you can do a good job. I can't imagine someone not letting you do that.

I say these things not to be critical, but to show you the things that you have control over. If you are timid and hesitant, you will not perform your job to the best of your ability, and you will also alienate your coworkers. In any job situation, it is always best to be honest, forthcoming and kind, but it is your responsibility to speak up instead of allowing these things to overwhelm you.

There is pettiness in most workplaces. If you run from this job because of it, you will likely find it again in the next place. I actually think that this could be the opportunity for God to mature you in your behavior and your skills, and to be salt and light in the workplace. It is difficult to learn to simultaneously be both assertive and kind, but the woman who does so places herself in a better position in her career. I say this from my own experience, as I was afraid to step on people's toes in the beginning too. But I learned that when I would take that hesitant attitude, others would step on my toes. The best thing I learned was to put the need for excellent job performance above my fears. People who do that are the best employees, and they are usually more satisfied at their jobs as well.

Upvote 0

Persis

Aug 21, 2016
World
✟22,115.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Well, I just came home from another work day. Sharon asked me to photocopy some papers today and she wanted me to work on them. I went and photocopied them adn when I returned she flipped out and yelled at me at why I photocopied the whole thing, instead of the 1st sheet only. She then motioned her hand and circled her ear gesturing that I was a dumbell or crazy. I apologized to her, and said that I understood she wanted me to photocopy everything. Is this not abusive? I went back to working and reminded myself it was her, not me that had the problem. In any case she came back during the day to my desk and gave me some new information and promised she would show me some new procedures. She was actually very nice and calm but i found I was not receptive to her and I actually found it hard to listen to her. But what happened afterwards, like so many times is that she moved on to her personal life and her origins etc. and I had to sit there and listen to her for at least 10 minutes and felt very drained. Considering how she treats me in such extremes, especially like today, I felt very confused and exhausted.

Turkle, thanks for your reply. Yes I have been so overwhelmed with how they have been treating me with the work load, the pressure to 'get' the system with such horrible training in such little time, and also disrespect for my personhood. Even when I was allowed to go to vacant desks for a quiet space to learn, it was other people's desks while they were away. When the 1st one came back, she got mad at me when she came back because I adjusted her chair. I was told that I was not allowed to adjust anyone's chair anymore unless I wanted their wrath, so from that time on I sat in chairs that were not fit for me and I ended up with such excruciating back pain. Since I had a temp at my desk, I could not take my chair.

Speaking of temps, today, there was a 3rd temp waiting for me in the morning. They want me to continue to focus on helping Sharon with the Backlog, and so another temp was hired and once again I spent the entire morning, and part of the early afternoon helping the temp and answering questions. I just am close to my wits end and I dont like the temp to see my anger, but especially today after my encounter with Sharon again, I just felt defeated and flat again.

I actually did write notes.. I had to, or else there's no way I could remember all of that. But despite that she still kept charging forward and didn't respect I also needed time to write the notes properly so that I understood them and that they were legible. So what do you do? I did tell her, but at that time she didn't really slow down very much.
it was her will against mine. As far as taking notes from Misty's instruction who is much nicer, she also was pretty much the same as Sharon and didn't leave me much time. I don't know this place is just so far out of anything I have ever known.

When I was hired and started the job I was not timid and shy, but after being abused by Sharon and treated badly by the others I started to lose my confidence and being new and all it was very hard and trying to figure out everything and everyone I reverted inward. I guess too is that I have never been in a job situation where there is so much communication and interactions when I had always been able to work on my own which really suited me because I am an introvert by nature. I am constantly being overwhelmed by people hovering and hanging all over my desk.. just so nice, since they all have offices with DOORS even. lol

Your last paragraph, Turkle, was quite enlightening. It could be possible God is using this work situation to mature me in my behaviour and skills. For sure, this would be a perfect environment that showcases all my fears and weaknesses! lol Today while a few were hovering over my desk I had this anxiety that they were all staring at me and judging me, but at the same time had this anger because I didn't like it. Perhaps I do need to speak up finally and for me it is hard because I m very bad with conflict situations and etc. , AND I want them all to like me. But at lunch I realized that I couldnt continue on like this and at some point I would have to show the real me and that I couldnt hide how I feel. It will probably seep out eventually and it wouldn't be the good kind. So it's better to speak up now and have it come out in a constructive and hopefully polite way.

And oh my gosh! you nailed what has been bugging me Turkle. How can one be kind and assertive at the same time? That's what I was trying to explain in the paragraph above. It's I guess what keeps me from trying because it seems so diametrically opposed. But as you say if my focus is on doing an excellent job, which is an excellent way of looking at it, perhaps I can do it. I will try it ! : )

I think as a Christian, it is always a heavy heavy burden to be the salt and light. I would love to be that but in the workplace it is so difficult isnt it? Im so glad you mentioned that because that also is weighing heavily on me, and keeping me frozen because I don't want to be a bad example of Christ. If only secular people un
derstood that we are so flawed etc, and that that is why we are Christians. They typically look for perfection and when we are not, then we've ruined and proved them right.

Hi toLiJC thanks for your advice. Do you mean search for self help articles on the internet and books on the subject ? I have tried that a bit before coming on here, and
I should do that some more, as I think, yeah, it could give me some valuable ideas. I will do that. But you know it's always nice to talk to someone and be heard. I think that is what women want is to be heard and know they are not alone. I read somewhere that when we talk about our problems with other women, that we secrete oxytocin which is a calming hormone. But saying that lol it has to be in appropriate places and times, and definitely at work and just being in someone's face whether they like it or not, is not a good method. I believe you that employees can be cruel to each other for the sake of salary and position. How did you handle that situation for yourself? Did you end up staying or leaving? I know for me I honestly thought that that was what was happening to me because there just didn't seem to be any other logical answer to it. I think the longer I am there though I believe it is not true as I initially thought and would just summarize the problem as a toxic workplace. I think for me in all my other years in another company, I believe I never saw things like this because it was a unionized environment, and everybody, whether management or union were treated exactly the same, with politeness and respect. I know management truly appreciated me and the work I did to help them, and it was never too stressed that someone would even remotely treat me like Sharon did, and for something especially that was not my fault. I think that Sharon does it because she knows she can. It's her choice. Had I been the boss she would never had done that. I guess I either have to learn to stand up for myself, or just ship out. It's either survive or die.. /:

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Hi Dysert, it is because men and women are SO different, and we handle stress and problems very differently. I have experience where I will ask for help or advice from a male and he will just give me this simple one sentence answer that ends up making me feel invalidated and not any better. I am also a natural empath and I seem to absorb other people's emotions and energies which makes me exhausted by the end of the day especially in a work environment I am in. I dont know if this is a personality thing or just a skill I haven't learned, but it can really kill a person's health..

Feel free to tell me how you handled your similar situation, you have made me curious now. thks.
My problem, though similar to yours, wasn't as bad. (I'm the farthest thing from being an empath :-(). I was in a situation where I had to know some things about the way a certain system worked. There was no documentation on the system, and there were literally only two people in the company that knew how the system worked. Of course, they never had time to train me, and yet my job was to maintain/fix/modify this system. This went on for six months.

I've been through many different jobs in my career, and one thing I've learned (among others) is that employers aren't patient or sympathetic to your cause if you're not getting the job done. There was no way I could get the job done without help, and it was not forthcoming. So, I quickly found another job and quit the old one. Better to leave on my terms then theirs.

In my state you can't collect unemployment if you quit, so I had to find another job first. I would encourage you to do the same thing. I believe the writing is on the wall for you, and in the meantime you're making yourself sick over the emotional drama that goes on every day.

Upvote 0

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Well if it was me, I would feel like quitting too...

But it just seems its 'Sharon' that needs your (or our) prayers since she's taking out all her problems on you who happen to be working in her vicinity.

I don't know what 'sharons' problem is, but it doesn't need to be your problem. Roll that burden onto Jesus. Stand your ground, maybe have a word with her - 'sharon' I don't know what your problem is, but I'm just doing my job. I would appreciate it if you did yours. I cannot work with you effectively when you are behaving like this.

Or words to that effect.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Goodbook

Reading the Bible
Jan 22, 2011
New Zealand
Visit site
✟78,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
Some biblical advice to workers..Colossians 3

22Servants, obey in all things your masters according to the flesh; not with eyeservice, as menpleasers; but in singleness of heart, fearing God: 23And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men; 24Knowing that of the Lord ye shall receive the reward of the inheritance: for ye serve the Lord Christ. 25But he that doeth wrong shall receive for the wrong which he hath done: and there is no respect of persons.

Upvote 0

toLiJC

Jun 18, 2012
✟35,877.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Private
Hi toLiJC thanks for your advice. Do you mean search for self help articles on the internet and books on the subject ? I have tried that a bit before coming on here, and
I should do that some more, as I think, yeah, it could give me some valuable ideas. I will do that. But you know it's always nice to talk to someone and be heard. I think that is what women want is to be heard and know they are not alone. I read somewhere that when we talk about our problems with other women, that we secrete oxytocin which is a calming hormone. But saying that lol it has to be in appropriate places and times, and definitely at work and just being in someone's face whether they like it or not, is not a good method. I believe you that employees can be cruel to each other for the sake of salary and position. How did you handle that situation for yourself? Did you end up staying or leaving? I know for me I honestly thought that that was what was happening to me because there just didn't seem to be any other logical answer to it. I think the longer I am there though I believe it is not true as I initially thought and would just summarize the problem as a toxic workplace. I think for me in all my other years in another company, I believe I never saw things like this because it was a unionized environment, and everybody, whether management or union were treated exactly the same, with politeness and respect. I know management truly appreciated me and the work I did to help them, and it was never too stressed that someone would even remotely treat me like Sharon did, and for something especially that was not my fault. I think that Sharon does it because she knows she can. It's her choice. Had I been the boss she would never had done that. I guess I either have to learn to stand up for myself, or just ship out. It's either survive or die.. /:

hi, i think if in any case we have to work some job then we have definitely to grow accustomed to working in the world, i had such problems with colleagues not only in one job, and if i left all those jobs, then i would remain without money, of course i don't say you are in the same situation like me, because i don't know what options you have, i was 20 years old when i began my first job, and i can remember the stress that could be felt/experienced there, (maybe) mainly because of the tension between the colleagues, all of them knew and talked freely with each other like they were old friends, but a lot of people were fired within a few months, only the old(er) and the most skilled employees remained/were kept on, fortunately my manager explained to me everything i needed to know, but there was a great tension between me and him, because he somehow had a power to rush me into doing many things, was very exacting and rigorous and left me taking care of everything without reminding me - other colleagues defended him, they said "he is your manager after all", of course i don't judge him by speaking so of him now, but it was really nerve-racking, nevertheless every morning of the workweek i woke up at six o'clock and went to work impatiently - i loved that job, and one day, eight-nine months after i got the job in the company, the boss waited for us angrily at the door, asking why one of the main files of the databases is deleted, the same day i was fired as the main suspected of sabotage, it wasn't me but someone of my colleagues did it, and i explained to the boss that it wasn't me, but he told me "i prefer to keep on my old employees" - actually that was the way to get rid of some new employees that did their job scrupulously, because the company was then in crisis, of course i don't judge them, i think the company is not mine after all, i just got a chance to work there, mostly thanks to the boss, who told me at my appointment/employment he has a charitable plan to hire/employ young people without experience including to give them a better chance for their career development, and later on i encountered similar problems in other companies where i was appointed to work - most managers are exacting and there may (often) be troublesome situations with colleagues... - God forbid!

i had to learn some things from books, for example how to work with specific databases, other things were explained to me by people that were aware of what i had to do at work

Blessings

Last edited:
Upvote 0

shelley1952

May 14, 2016
Illinois
✟8,875.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It could be possible God is using this work situation to mature me in my behaviour and skills. For sure, this would be a perfect environment that showcases all my fears and weaknesses!

This was the thing that came to mind for me when I read your post. I was thinking....I wonder what it is that the Lord is wanting you to learn or overcome. Sometimes we do not stop and talk to the Lord to find out what He wants for us. If you do not know His plan for your life you wont understand what He is trying to do. Some people dont know He has a plan for everyones life so they dont even try to find that plan and miss out on so much. Jesus went through a lot while He was on earth and especially His last 3 1/2 years before His life was taken. It sure wasnt a pleasant time for Him and He was God in the flesh, but He had a higher priority in His life here than personal comfort, that priority was us.....our salvation !
So much of the time people think everything is just suppose to be smooth sailing all through life and thats not how it works. Whether its this job or a different one, whether its your personal life or anything else, there will be different problems to overcome. I will say....as a Christian you are to never put up with gossip, your ears are not trashcans. I always walk away or said, I am sorry but I cant be a part of this conversation or I would say, well so and so never did anything bad to me and walked off, I dont care if so and so did do something to me it wasnt anyones business. Now each of us can give you our opinion but only the Lord knows what He wants for you. That doesnt mean it will be an easy road to walk, especially if you have determined to do His will for your life no matter what it is. Look at those in missionary work, thousands have been tortured and killed. Think on what that would be like for a moment.
God has given us all a free will to do what we want. Whatever you decide He will help you as much as He can even if you have chosen a different path than what He actually wants for you. I pray for Gods guidance, strength, joy and peace for your life. May He bless you richly !

Upvote 0

Persis

Aug 21, 2016
World
✟22,115.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I prayed the last 2 days like i have never before. I prayed for me, for her, the other co-workers and what do you know the heat went up. Sharon verbally abused me each day. None of it was my fault. It was hers, truthfully. Even had it been mine, her behaviour is not warranted. Yesterday after she had a fit.. think of a 2 yr old having a temper tantrum where their body shakes and contorts.. I walked away and when I did I got this flash of a piercing fear as I saw an image of her hitting me. My thoughts reminded me that with such uncontrolled rage inside the body she could easily assault me. Probably not, but I am now very anxious to go to work and am anxious if I make a mistake, because I know what's coming. After she had her fit of rage she was normal and was nice to me. She ended up then coming to my desk and telling me about her life and her nationality and origins for at least 10 minutes. This is her regular spiel with me. It's just that I could not hear what she was saying and she was sucking my energy another way. I was having difficulty concentrating all day yesterday and today. Everyone is well aware of her, yet absolutely nothing is done. Nobody says anything to me. I am all alone. She is definitely in full reign of the company, with some male managers looking very weak, in my opinon.I have been observing that she is the worst with me and I think it's because I a new, and because I have the lowest job in the company. I often wonder if it's because I wear a cross necklace, and she is taunting me. I am pretty exhausted by now, including with this, training temp # 3 and feeling defeated. I have lost all my confidence and joy and my brain is scrambled. Please pray for me guys. Thank you you so much.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

saved24

Forgiven
Site Supporter
Oct 21, 2011
Canada
✟841,192.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Pentecostal
Marital Status
Single
Politics
CA-Conservatives
Feel for you. If this job is breaking you down, I would hope you would take the advice of one of the other posters and look for another job. This is job harassment. I, like you, took notes when I first was learning my job, or would not have been able to do it. You are right, we all learn in different ways. God bless, my prayers are with you.

Reactions: Joined2krist
Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,404.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Being kind and being assertive are not mutually exclusive. Being assertive isn't being mean. For example, during the photocopy escapade, where Sharon berated you for copying everything instead of just the first page, the proper response to her nastiness would be to simply tell her that she isn't going to talk to you that way. Literally, calmly look her in the eye and tell her that. Also, never preface that with the words, 'sorry, but…' You have nothing to be sorry for. They do.

It sounds to me as if you are not advocating for yourself. When the other person started in with going too fast when you were writing notes, then you should have stopped writing, looked them in the eye, and interrupted them to let them know they were going too fast and if they wanted you to get it all, they would slow down.

Your boss isn't doing his job. It sounds like there is a complete lack of communication all around. That's a sign of poor management. This other person expecting you to do their job? Yeah, you should have gone directly to management and/or not done the other person's job while they were gone. It was never communicated to you by your boss that it was expected, ergo you don't do it.

You're not their doormat, so stop acting like it. Being naturally empathetic towards others is no excuse for letting yourself get dumped on.

Reactions: ValleyGal
Upvote 0

ValleyGal

Dec 19, 2012
✟114,245.00
Country
Canada
Faith
Anabaptist
Marital Status
Divorced
Seashale is a wise person. Boundaries are important. I have a workplace super who is bully-ish and I have a hard time setting boundaries with her, too. The person before me did set boundaries, and she was let go right away. I do understand the difficulty with being assertive with someone who is in a more powerful position. One thing I am trying to learn is that her powerful position does not make her a more powerful person.

If you are uncomfortable asserting respectful boundaries, start keeping a journal. If you keep it at work, make sure to password-protect your document, or keep it online like in dropbox. Every time something happens with her, date an entry and note the time. Note who was present at the time. Write about the events that immediately preceded her behaviour, and describe the behaviour itself - NOT how you feel about it or what she might be thinking or what you were thinking. Note anything that you see, hear, smell, touch. At the end of it, you can note that the behaviours were threatening, condescending, or whatever you want to say - such as when you thought she might hit you, you can note the specific behaviour that made you think she was going to hit you.

An example would be "Sharon's face was red as she was yelling obscenities. She yelled 'do not photocopy the whole document, you dumas*! I told you ___. Now GET back to your desk!' The emphasis was on the words 'not', 'whole', 'told' and 'get.' As she yelled 'get' she also swung her arm from the down position up fast within 6" of my face and pointed using her pointer finger. As a result of the action with her arm, I was afraid she was going to swing at me and hit me."

Also note what other people are doing when all this is happening. It is important to document every incident as it happens otherwise it gets lost in the events of the day. Ask a couple of others to also document what they see when she freaks on you. Once you are armed with good documentation, take it to her manager, or to a manager of a different department. Let them know that if necessary, you will also take this to the government department that deals with labour disputes.

In the meantime, keep looking for another job.

Reactions: Persis
Upvote 0

Kit Sigmon

May 18, 2016
USA
✟76,189.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
In Relationship
I recently started a new job about 4 weeks ago, and I am seriously considering quitting. I’m looking for feedback from women only as to what you think of my new job and whether you would also quit. I just started to try to find another new job now, but if I don’t get one in the next 2-3 weeks I will just have to quit without another one.

There is an awful lot of complaining going on in this company. It seems like almost nobody is happy. I’ve heard it frequently employees voicing their concerns that they are afraid they are going to get sick. Semi frequent swearing goes on backstabbing other employees using swear words. Gossip is common. While the boss is away the employees complain about him, saying how much they dislike him, and that he is driving everyone crazy. From the very beginning it seems like they were deliberately trying to get me to leave, but I know that that is isn’t true. I think they just don’t know what they are doing.

Since I sit out in the open it seems to be that I am entitled to no privacy. It seems people think they can voice their thoughts to me as they walk by. They don’t think about the fact that I have to work too and need to concentrate. They are lucky, they have their own offices. I find it very tiring and exhausting to have to listen to certain people voice their negative emotions out on me. Several times they will congregate close to my desk and start a personal conversation all about the problems about their health or their family. I have no where to go but to have to listen.

The biggest problem I have encountered is that when I was being trained, the person who was training me (I’ll call her Sharon) was very verbally and emotionally abusive to me. She went 100 miles an hour in showing me a new database and application, many times and often wouldn’t stay on topic and just make a huge confusing mess of it. She also wouldn’t really allow me much time to take any notes. She was extremely.. I mean extremely impatient. She was akin to flipping out..having a mini fit! Many times she would just hiss at me that she didn’t have time to train me, as they were very behind. But I was hired to help her and get things moving faster, you’d think she would be so happy and take the time to train me properly. On top of all that, if I asked a question, she would look at me like ‘duh’ or just say something like “Of course!” and make me look like an idiot. I could go on, but at the end of two days I thought I would break down and cry. As it ended up , the next day she apologized to me giving some reasons about the problems she was having in life. She was quite nice after that and much more patient, but still she couldn’t explain her job that made any sense at all. She kept saying to me that she was so used to doing everything automatically, that she never thought about things anymore.

After a week, it eventually happened that I got another person who used to do the job train me. It was just really getting more information and clarification. It was amazing, the difference, and I understood everything she told me and things just started clicking from then on. I was so grateful, because when I was first hired I was told right away, that the person before me was fired because she couldn’t get the system. And I think from that day on it really spoiled my view of everything, because it put so much pressure on me to learn this system that seemed like it would be so hard. But it really wasn’t, and in the end it just came down to being trained properly.

Last week I found out that I was still missing information, and then we ran into problems because of something I didn’t do. It turned out it was because I was not told about it due to their lack of training. I was not reprimanded or anything, but I did feel bad that it happened. It’s hard to tell whether they believed it was that I didn’t receive that bit of information, or if it was me.

I thought after that episode with Sharon that things would be different. But just last Friday she asked me a question and I tried to explain to her and she flipped out again saying she didn’t have time to listen to me. Later in the day she had a mini fit like a 2 year old. Her body was shaking up and down because she was frustrated. This is the person I have to work with and in assisting/taking over for her.

It isn’t just her either. The other women are unfriendly, and their personalities can be rude and ornary. At one point someone was supposed to show me where a file was, and they didn’t show me because they just I guess didn’t want to.

There is one person who giggles frequently throughout the day. I’ll call her Misty. Misty also demands my attention regularly. At a couple occasions she has come up to me and asked why I look so sad? I am getting so tired of it. She told me to not worry and stop being so overwhelmed. But I never complained about it, to her or anybody. She told me that they put so much upon me so early, but I should not let it get to me. Lol You see, I have trained 2 temps already just in the short 3-4 weeks I have been there, and I don’t even know my full position. So I was not only training and learning Sharon’s job, but I also had to train 2 temps and show them everything and answer all their questions etc. so that I could concentrate fully on Sharon’s job. It has been so exhausting, I have never ever been in a situation like this.

The irony of Misty is that while I was waiting for the temp to arrive and doing 2 jobs at the same time on Friday, Misty came by and reported to me that while she is away I would have to do her job and fill in. I have never Heard of this before from anybody. She proceeded to show me what she does and I sat there and was in shock!!!!!!! that of all the people, Misty would be trying to teach me her job in such a random and informal way. Again this time, she never let me reach for a piece of paper and pencil to write down the steps. It seemed because she was leaving early that day, that she was telling me I’d have to do it that day along with everything else. What ? I’m supposed to now do the jobs of her too, and I am being paid so much less? Anyways, she then left and told me she would come back later sometime and show it to me again. Later that day Misty came by and asked me why I looked like a “deer in the headlights” while she was talking to me. She then told me she thought I looked much happier in the afternoon, as opposed to the morning when I looked sad. I wish she would stop commenting on how I look and telling me how to feel!!!

Lastly the boss came to me one day and asked me to start doing the job I was training for. He has no idea what it all involves and he didn’t know that I at the time was not an expert yet on the job!? I had to tell him I was not, and I felt the pressure to be fired!

I have never felt this disrespected and alone in my life. Being a new person it is hard to speak up, because I don’t know anyone very well and I don’t know my own job and how everything flows. Being new you also don’t want to step on anyone’s toes, and cause conflict right from the very beginning, not knowing anyone’s personality and who you might make an enemy with. In any case, it has been so very stressful and I am so unhappy. This company is trouble.

Would anyone else quit with a job like this? Sometimes I wonder if I am being too sensitive? I haven't working in several years, so I dont know if things have gotten worse or what ? I never had any of these problems like these before. I just needed to vent somewhere, and get other people's opinions becuase I feel so alone. I just feel so like a fish out of water at this place.

I'd appreciate anyone's feedback.

Thanks so much.

Persis: You say a lot in your post, but to me it seems clear that you and the current place you work at aren't suited for one another ...unclear number of job duties/position, clueless boss, Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde for a co-worker/trainer? hostile environment.

Upvote 0

Persis

Aug 21, 2016
World
✟22,115.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Hi, I am back again.. I read every one the posts here, and very much appreciate all the thoughts and ideas. Since I left I have been confiding in my sister, but wanted to come on board again to discuss something.

First of all I have not quit yet, and am still in the same company and position. I have been trying to look for a new job meanwhile, hoping I don’t have to quit without a job. It has taken some time for me to be called for an interview because although I haven’t applied on that many (because it just requires so much time and concentration) but I finally have a 2nd job interview this Monday. The funny thing is that the day that I had the 1st interview I was balling my eyes out because I was abused in many different ways by different people in a day. I think by the Grace of God, He will help me to get out.

So I said that I really appreciated everybody's thoughts and ideas, but the sad part is that until only recently have I started to stand up for myself. The abuse has continued pretty much consistently, some days or weeks better than other, but the general flavor of the work environment is toxic. I am constantly being micro managed and treated sternly. There is no joy in the workplace. People continue to gossip about each other, swear at each other, backstab like there is no tomorrow. It’s a way of a life. Many times I feel confused by mixed messages, people saying one thing and doing another. I still have someone always talking about her problems, and complaining etc when she passes my desk. Extreme selfishness, narcissism, potentially other personality disorders. It’s a cesspool of dysfunctional people.

Recently I was reprimanded by a co-worker for doing something that was wrong. He snapped at me and told me some info while I was away from my desk without a pen. I had no chance to write it down as he left for the day. As it turned out I was told HE was not doing his job and that it wasn’t my fault, as he should have entered the information in the system. I have noticed since I arrived that he likes to intimidate, and after that incident I decided I needed to have better boundaries with him, because I felt his intent was not pure.
Inicidentally it was the first time I shared my concerns with the co-worker that always complains by my desk, or at least gives me a running monologue of what she is doing. She told me that she also has noticed what he does and she validated my thoughts, however, she swore and called him a name. Guess what happened then? Everybody heard about it. I guess that shouldn’t be a surprise. I had another agree and called him a worse name. It grieved me to see what happened to my quiet confidentiality and the meanness they displayed, even if he deserved it. I ended up emailing him and telling him what I wished and I felt sure that it was fair and served me from the stress. He didn’t reply but later told me as he was leaving that he talked to the President about it and that he would talk with me. I was floored because all I asked of him was to take his stuff to his desk, instead of mine where he demonstrates rude and intimidating behavior.

In any case, the whole angle of it changed, by him blaming me that he was doing my job. I had so much stress that day because I felt like he was trying to make me look bad with the president when in fact he never asked me nor did I know he was doing a part of my job! Finally I was able to talk to him and I told him that if he was doing a part of my job then he should have told me and I would have GLADLY done it. Anyways, that day he came down and showed me how to do it. He was in pretty good spirits when he showed me, but I could tell he was nervous. I treated him with dignity and thanked him and said to him , you know you just should have asked me. And he said ‘I know, I know”. He said I am impatient.” I think he said that because he was trying to tell me that that is really what is behind his behavior, but honestly, I don’t believe him. I really do think he likes to intimidate women but I’m not going to rack my brain about it, as I got what I wanted. Today when he came to pick up my work I was stuck on a few things and I could tell he was his regular self and when he left today he looked mad at me. So I’m glad I did what I did, because it seems like he’s just not repentant. I did nothing to him, was always friendly and always nice, so. Whatever, I’m glad I spoke up .

Going back to when he showed me how to do that part of my work yesterday, he was doing and feeling relieved, outstepped my trainer, the one I help. I have to say first that all day I was very tearful and it was so hard to hold back my tears. Mostly because the whole toxic environment (like I actually grieve in my spirit when one co-worker calls another one a B****. ) and all the abuse I have suffered. So here comes my trainer (who supported me with good boundaries with this co-worker that just showed me his job. She called him a horse’s a**). and for sure heard me with him and taking notes and etc.. well she comes out of her office and snaps at me at how many work orders I have done that day because she sees that nothing has been done. Well besides the fact that she heard me with the other co-worker and taking notes and being trained, I told her that I did have several work orders I had gone through previous but that there were problems with them (stuff I was not versed on how to do) and that I was saving them for the person who can help me with them once they get back on holidays. This is actually what my trainor told me to do earlier in the day when I asked her about these problems. So I showed them to my trainer and she snapped at me and said that I ‘should think’! that I need to think about these things and pretty much ripping me to shreds and trying to belittle me that I am really stupid. I then retorted back to her that she was the one to tell me I should hold off on them and she looked at me and said, ‘Just forget it! I’ll do them all myself!”. She then took all my work away from myself . I was so stunned at this attack, I sat down and was dizzy and felt like I was going to throw up. But thank God I didn’t. I just sat there. 5 minutes later she came out and said “I am so sorry. There was no justification for what I did. I am really sorry. You know I am under a lot of stress because of ……. And my stomach is in lurches. I hope you can understand.” She said that she would be doing all the work to relieve the pressure from me, and that I would do the last part of it for her, which is easy. The thing is is that I felt no pressure, I was just looking for advise or guidance on how to do the work. She was the one under pressure.

At this point I balled my eyes out and it was so embarrassing. Unfortunately even if the boss was not far, he never came, but maybe he never heard, I’m not really sure. For the rest of the day I was finished. I couldn’t do any work. I didn’t have any concentration. I just felt like I had given up.

I actually felt like quitting by sending an email to the manager but I never did. I ended up going in to work this morning and had a pretty good day. Since my trainor was off today, I didn’t know if I should do my work to help her (as she took all my work) and so another co-worker asked me if she emailed me to tell me what I sould be doing. And I said ‘no’ she hasn’t told me and I don’t know if I should do any work for her. I had to tell my co-worker that my trainer got mad at me and took all my work and that I was confused what I should do now. I told her that she did apologize to me but that I didn’t know if she wanted me to help her. I felt bad for dissing on her but I had to protect myself. I suppose it was ok as I didn’t call her any names or anything, I just told the facts. In any case, my co-worker said that she would send the trainor a note and say that she said I should be doing the work . We are there to help her.

During lunch time while my co-worker was out I went and did some ‘housekeeping’ general work because I did all the major work and when she saw me she seemed annoyed I was doing this general work (there was a lot to do) and asked if I had done all the major work. I felt like she was micro managing me. I said yes I did and that I actually had a few questions on some (I was trying to finish those the trainer took away from me, maybe she could answer my questions). As it turned out this co-worker told me that I should leave it for the trainer to look after when she comes back (which confirms I never could have done them ) and htat is what I did.

After I came back from my lunch break my co-worker said to me that another co-worker observed there was so much general housekeeping work to do, like I was not doing it!?? She reiterated that it’s good to do just a little everyday, but the way she was saying it was like I was not doing it. And I do it. In fact it’s right in her area for her to see me! So after I came back from lunch it was like both of them were mad at me!

In summary, I believe that the reasons this is happening at least from the trainor is because she is jealous of me. I have never talked about my faith but I wear a cross and I believe it’s a spiritual attack. I think she is jealous of the way I carry myself. It has taken me a long while to figure it out but I am sure of it because she doesn’t treat anyone way as bad as me and she never would have said that to anyone (it’s not the 1st time at all) but me. She does it because she can too because I am new, but to be honest, I really believe she is jealous. I remember the owner talking to me one day and he gave me probably the only compliment or positive feedback I have ever gotten, and she quickly came out and started flirting with him (she’s older too) and touching his jacket and everything. Another time I was talking with a temp and we were carrying on a conversation and she came out of her office to interrupt us.

Despite the fact I have stood up and set some boundaries, I find that by standing up for myself that absolutely nothing is going to change because I am in such a toxic environment where the culture is so dysfunctional by everyone and the business is so unregulated that I am so outnumbered. The behaviors and mode of functioning will continue to all abuse and bullying and harassment as those it was all ok. Taking notes are null and void.

I was told that reporting a harassment is long and hard. Leaving the job would be the only feasible option.And hopefully I will get that new job this week!

So I’m not sure if anybody is still with me..but after all I wrote, I have one VERY curious question.
these people at work that I work with seem to thrive in this environmnet that I’ve tried to entail.

They can do all these things that I mentioned above, swear at each other, and still at the end of the day they still talk to each other. It’s almost like they get over it fast. I’m not sure. But I watch in wonder how they can thrive in this environment and how none of them seem to think anything is wrong. Meanwhile I am mortified by all this behavior and have shrunk back from my former self. When I feel like someone has been talking about me I feel angry inside and I want to get away from them. It’s hard for me to talk to them, but for htem it’s just a day at the office. It makes me feel strange that as a Christian I feel I don’t have these same social skills as them. Shouldn’t I be able to just forgive and just not feel any anger towards the perpetrator? For example I found it very difficult to talk to my trainor. I am so on edge and I’m sure she sees my anger and I find that Im not being very Christian if I can’t forgive. ( I do ask God to help me) Do you know what I mean? Isn’t it normal to feel on edge with Jeckyll and Hyde people? I just don’t know anymore. I feel like I have gone utterly insane. I am so confused.

Sorry I feel like this has become a rambling, but I am curious to know how I can be so negatively affected by this workplace, and for the others there, not ? Yes they do speak up (in evil and ornery ways) but even in all the evil taking place it just seems normal to them like they thrive, and I am sinking. Perhaps they dont have consciences?

Last edited:
Upvote 0