Feb 7, 2014
United States
✟8,644.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I have a question.

It seems that the movement of the Holy Spirit is well sought after in Pentecostal circles.
Do you all think that He doesn't move in say a calm traditional Church?
What does spirit filled mean?
Is not a bible believing, non-denom church spirit filled without the gifts of the Spirit evident like it is in Pentacostal churches?
Is the Holy Spirit with churches that don't tongues and interpretation, and slaying in the spirit, etc.?

I am very curious about this subject.
Thanks for any replies.
:)

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have a question.

It seems that the movement of the Holy Spirit is well sought after in Pentecostal circles.
Do you all think that He doesn't move in say a calm traditional Church?
Is not a bible believing, non-denom church spirit filled without the gifts of the Spirit evident like it is in Pentacostal churches?
Is the Holy Spirit with churches that don't tongues and interpretation, and slaying in the spirit, etc.?

I am very curious about this subject.
Thanks for any replies.

wont it come down to what each perceives the "moving of the holy Spirit to be "?
-Do you all think that He doesn't move in say a calm traditional Church?
the answer is he moves where the father Wills .
any open willing heart, time and place according to his good purposes .

to receive the(promised)baptism of the Holy Spirit as in defined in the book of acts and intimate action of the entering of the Spirit of God into our earthen vessel ...to be "filled" is really only a descriptive term relating to one being in a wiling state of submitting and obedient to the leading and guiding and revelation of the Lord Jesus..when one does not fill themselves with worldly maters but puts them aside ,even shunning them in order to be more aware of the continued presence of the lord Jesus in the form of the holy Spirit (for he is also called the spirit of Christ )
the baptism is sometimes received by the laying on of hands by those who already have the baptism ...but not always ..just as often he is received directly as an act of his sovereign will ,but always to a heart of humility which earnestly seeks to know him and is grateful for the lords salvation in the blood of Jesus.

many indeed are and the ones that are "do" manifest the gifts of the holy Spirit./however we live in an age and time foretold where many do not walk in obedience .a time of the great falling away .
one thing is good to understand and that is ..just because a person has received the Holy Spirit .it does not mean the lord validates everything that person does , through disobedience any one can be led astray and there are many things going on all over the world ,good and bad under the umbrella title of being spirit filed . it has a lot to do with whether they remain faithful to the truths of the word of God and do not follow after their own vain imaginations .

again ,it is more individual he is "with" all who love the lord Jesus and ask for him- as the lord Jesus promised ..if you ask the father for the Holy Spirit (whom Jesus promised to send) the father will give you his holy spirit . he is spirit ..one should invite him ,ask ..

the manifestation of the holy Spirit are varied and often people speak in tongues at the time of receiving him though may not continue to do so .others later receive the "gift" of tongues and do continue to do so .
again even a person who speaks in tongue by the unction of the Holy Spirit , can, by disobedience, fall into erroneous ways. -on the issue of "slain in the spirit " it is merelt a descritive term .. some ..in the presence of the power of the holy Spirit fal down on the floor (others sadly pretend to -god know which is which ) and as they are motionless on the floor ..one day someone described them as "slain" and the term stuck and became one of those religious habits of terminology .. i personally don't promote the terminology ..it has no biblical basis .
(imo insert-receiving the baptism of the holy Spirit makes us even more accountable to God, not less .)

i think the only sure way to understand these things is to go to the lord and ask him .. hunger to know him deeply ,intimately, to love him with all your heart ,not only to be made the righteousness of God by faith in Christ but to be utterly imbibed with his righteousness ..also the early believers .. the 120 were told they would receive power(authority backed by ability to act out the authority) once they had received the Holy Ghost .
this also happens .. also he leads us into all truth ,he magnifies the lord Jesus ,he only speaks the fathers will ..he is really not definable in our mere mortal tongue -to know this aspect of the godhead .. we need him and it is the fathers good will to inhabit us as his temple ,his dwelling place .

hope this helps a little -it is very very limited
-------------------------------------
thoughts...
out of your belly shall flow rivers of living water
&
from the abundance of the heart the mouth speaks
&
there is the power of life and death in the tongue
so if the heart is absolutely inundated with the SPIRIT of GOD ..it will surely overflow with the water of life
it will speak out ..this -is tongues .

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

simple truth, martyr, disciple of Yahshua
Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
corrie ten boom was almost always very calm, cool and collected. She went to about 63 countries in the world to tell about the Good News of God's Love to all those who would listen. She even spoke for hours at a time in prisons in south africa and other places, simply telling the murderers and thieves and rapists the same message of God's Love as she delivered from God to the nazi guards who had executed her father and sister and thousands of her relatives and neighbors.

she told everyone she met and talked to the truth - if you repent and ask Jesus to be the ruler, the Lord, the Master in your heart, He will be and He will give you a new life purchased by His Blood.

and she pointed out there was one person that Jesus could not help. Jesus cannot help someone if they think they are good, that they don't need a Redeemer and a Savior.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
re > "Do you all think that He doesn't move in say a calm traditional Church?"

God's working in and through corrie ten boom's life and the testimony of Jesus and His Blood is and was experienced worldwide, without fanfare, without a finance committee, without a fund raiser, without man's support. Any church goer, pentecostal or calm, can learn a lot from her testimony and the story of God's active working in her life. God's holiness, God's pneuma, God's way.

for example :
Hebrew Streams: Ruach Studies

www.hebrew-streams.org/works/spirit/ruachpneuma.html‎

"The Ruach of God was hovering over the surface of the waters." (Genesis 1:2) ....
God . . . (is) . . . Ruach. (Isaiah 31:3) God is Pneuma. (John 4:24, Greek).

thats true .. not sure how it is addressing the Op

Thanks for the reply Michael!

Jeff, you get around dont'cha.

As God wills :
John 3:7-8

Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

7 Stop being amazed at my telling you that you must be born again from above! 8 The wind blows where it wants to, and you hear its sound, but you don’t know where it comes from or where it’s going. That’s how it is with everyone who has been born from the Spirit.”

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
re > "Do you all think that He doesn't move in say a calm traditional Church?"

God's working in and through corrie ten boom's life and the testimony of Jesus and His Blood is and was experienced worldwide, without fanfare, without a finance committee, without a fund raiser, without man's support. Any church goer, pentecostal or calm, can learn a lot from her testimony and the story of God's active working in her life. God's holiness, God's pneuma, God's way.

for example :
Hebrew Streams: Ruach Studies

www.hebrew-streams.org/works/spirit/ruachpneuma.html‎

"The Ruach of God was hovering over the surface of the waters." (Genesis 1:2) ....
God . . . (is) . . . Ruach. (Isaiah 31:3) God is Pneuma. (John 4:24, Greek).

As God wills :
John 3:7-8

Complete Jewish Bible (CJB)

7 Stop being amazed at my telling you that you must be born again from above! 8 The wind blows where it wants to, and you hear its sound, but you don’t know where it comes from or where it’s going. That’s how it is with everyone who has been born from the Spirit.”

yes,i agree.the Spirit of God works forth the will of God.
i glanced at the link a little and was shocked by a bit.
i was baptized on the Holy Spirit quite some years back now..also grew up in pentecostal circles.and in all my life i have NEVER HEARD... "the idea that the "Holy Ghost" of the NT is not the "Holy Spirit" of the OT."not once ever.nor would i accept that.its sure to be a misunderstanding.
the singular difference may be what was an outer "knowing" became an inner dwelling.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
yes,i agree.the Spirit of God works forth the will of God.
i glanced at the link a little and was shocked by a bit.
i was baptized on the Holy Spirit quite some years back now..also grew up in pentecostal circles.and in all my life i have NEVER HEARD...
"the idea that the "Holy Ghost" of the NT is not the "Holy Spirit" of the OT."not once ever.nor would i accept that.its sure to be a misunderstanding.
the singular difference may be what was an outer "knowing" became an inner dwelling.

Include the next sentence: note about that 'idea' > "Their purpose has been to promote the idea that the "Holy Ghost" of the NT is not the "Holy Spirit" of the OT.
The Medieval Church taught that the Holy Ghost was unknown to the Jews.... ""

i.e. it's what the medieval church taught,

which is most likely true as the state church and the medieval church didn't understand nor experience the ruach or the pneuma of Yhwh, (right up to today btw ).

also, back in the 1970's when I was involved peripherally with the charismatic movement in several different denominations, at that time many of them taught publicly that the peoples knowledge and their experience of the holy spirit in the new testament was totally new and unknown in the old testament.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟282,507.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
A dead person can appear quite calm, but they are not calm, they are dead. Most churches that don't show any life are dead. That doesn't mean that calm individuals are any less Spirit filled than active individuals, but with a group of Spirit filled people it is very unlikely that no one will be more active. One of the first churches I ever belonged to had a very sedate individual who still loves God with all of her heart, and is very Spirit filled. Some of the more expressive members of that church mistook that for not being baptized in the Spirit, but I knew her well enough to find that amusing. The Holy Spirit is usually disruptive to our status quo, and to maintain a consistent "calm and completely ordered" church you have to actively invite the Spirit to stay away. Too many Western churches would rather have their sense of order than God.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟282,507.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
...if God is moving excitable people will get excited. The only way to stop excitable people from getting excited is to keep anything from happening that will excite them. God is exciting. Some churches sell out to not having any excitement.

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
Romans 12 The Message (MSG)

12 1-2 So here’s what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don’t become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You’ll be changed from the inside out.

i.e. let God do what He wants, and do what He says always in union with Him in Jesus Christ.

Upvote 0

jiminpa

Site Supporter
Jul 4, 2004
✟282,507.00
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Romans 12 The Message (MSG)

12 1-2 So here’s what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don’t become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You’ll be changed from the inside out.

i.e. let God do what He wants, and do what He says always in union with Him in Jesus Christ.
the message is kind of big commentary, and is not actual scripture. Most commentaries just tell us why the Bible doesn't mean what it actually says. the message is no different, only without including the scripture it is commenting against.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Include the next sentence: note about that 'idea' > "Their purpose has been to promote the idea that the "Holy Ghost" of the NT is not the "Holy Spirit" of the OT.
The Medieval Church taught that the Holy Ghost was unknown to the Jews.... ""

i.e. it's what the medieval church taught,

which is most likely true as the state church and the medieval church didn't understand nor experience the ruach or the pneuma of Yhwh, (right up to today btw ).

also, back in the 1970's when I was involved peripherally with the charismatic movement in several different denominations, at that time many of them taught publicly that the peoples knowledge and their experience of the holy spirit in the new testament was totally new and unknown in the old testament.
well thier experience certainly was new.what happened at Pentecost had never happend before.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
A dead person can appear quite calm, but they are not calm, they are dead. Most churches that don't show any life are dead. That doesn't mean that calm individuals are any less Spirit filled than active individuals, but with a group of Spirit filled people it is very unlikely that no one will be more active. One of the first churches I ever belonged to had a very sedate individual who still loves God with all of her heart, and is very Spirit filled. Some of the more expressive members of that church mistook that for not being baptized in the Spirit, but I knew her well enough to find that amusing. The Holy Spirit is usually disruptive to our status quo, and to maintain a consistent "calm and completely ordered" church you have to actively invite the Spirit to stay away. Too many Western churches would rather have their sense of order than God.
yes that can be so
but to be honest,so can the reverse...Too many Western churches would rather have their sense of "excitement" than God.when thir carnal senses are not being excited they aren't that interested in the person...
dont misread me,iv known both ends of the spectrum on this.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
well their experience certainly was new.what happened at Pentecost had never happened before.

albeit, maybe somewhat different. but Yhwh put His Spirit on others before. very obviously, very distinctly.

i think. (see numbers 11)(et al).

(i.e. to compare , what was the same, what was diff.? )

Upvote 0

yeshuaslavejeff

Jan 6, 2005
okie
✟214,996.00
Faith
Anabaptist
He doesn't coerce anyone to be changed from the inside out. Only those who willingly obey joyfully forever, who He chose before the world or anything else was ever created, enjoy the change.

the message is kind of big commentary, and is not actual scripture. Most commentaries just tell us why the Bible doesn't mean what it actually says. the message is no different, only without including the scripture it is commenting against.

Upvote 0

Alithis

Disciple of Jesus .
Nov 11, 2010
Mobile
✟101,992.00
Country
New Zealand
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

albeit, maybe somewhat different. but Yhwh put His Spirit on others before. very obviously, very distinctly.

i think. (see numbers 11)(et al).

(i.e. to compare , what was the same, what was diff.? )
yes but this is where the"new" takes place..same holy spirit..but now not upon... but indwelling.

Upvote 0

dragongunner

Jul 30, 2012
Indiana
✟9,578.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
yes but this is where the"new" takes place..same holy spirit..but now not upon... but indwelling.

Yes. Man has been waiting for the Kingdom of God to come, but it came spiritually when they thought it was going to be earthly. The Kingdom had not yet arrived in the OT. It came with Jesus, for the Kingdom of God is peace, love and joy in the Holy Ghost. The OT seems to me to be that of the outward, physical. And the NT that of the inward spiritual.

Upvote 0

Bob Carabbio

Old guy -
Dec 22, 2010
Glenn Hts. TX
✟35,309.00
Country
United States
Faith
Charismatic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
"It seems that the movement of the Holy Spirit is well sought after in Pentecostal circles."

Yup, although not as single mindedly as it USED to be. "Pentcostalism" is what FUll Gospel churches are about, after all.

"Do you all think that He doesn't move in say a calm traditional Church?"

There ARE some that think that, of course, but in FACT The Holy Spirit moves in NON-Pentecostal bodies as well. I spent several years in the United CHurch of Christ, and witnessd just as much "Moving of the Spirit" as I'd seen over the decades in the Assemblies of God. A Good deal "Quieter", though.

"What does spirit filled mean?"

It means to be motivated BY, and moving in the illumination, and unction of the Holy Spirit. Like Peter and the cripple (Silver and Gold have I none - etc). Peter didn't "Ask God" to heal the guy, and didn't "pray for healing" - HE KNEW (in the Spirit) what God was going to do, and simply SPOKE the healing to the fellow in absolute FAITH that It would happen. He was "Spirit filled".

"Is not a bible believing, non-denom church spirit filled without the gifts of the Spirit evident like it is in Pentacostal churches?"

Sometimes, sometimes not. Depends on the individual church, and it's ministry. There ARE "Bible Believeing Christian churches" that teach that ANY miracle you might see in 2014 is SATANIC - because God doesn't DO THAT any more. And there are any number of churches that are "Pleasantly surprised", when God moves in their midst.

But IF they're trusting Jesus for their salvation, and are Born again of the Spirit, they're still "Good to Go" - just theologically ignorant.

"Is the Holy Spirit with churches that don't tongues and interpretation, and slaying in the spirit, etc.?"

Sure - The Holy Spirit INDWELLS ALL CHRISTIANS, regardless of the "Denominational Paradigm" they happen to find themselves in. It's not ABOUT GIfts, but about seeking HIM - taking HIS yoke upon you , and LEARNING OF HIM. Seek FIRST the Kingdom of God and HIS righteousness - and all the other stuff will take care of itself. And if/when HE gives you "Tongues" (Or other gifts) - then just manifest 'em as HE leads you. Simple as that.

What I always tell folks is that: When you've Spoken in an "unknown tongue", and that "Tongue" was UNDERSTOOD by somebody listening, and the Message that you spoke in the Spirit SAVED HIS LIFE!!!

Then you've accomplished in the Spirit what an A$$ was empowered to do in the Old Testament - just ask Baalam. So much for "Pride" in your "Anointing" (the Corinthian problem).

Last edited:
Upvote 0