The Historical Adam and Eve

E

Euthymios

Archbishop Lazar Puhalo once suggested in a video that Adam and Eve might not have been historical personages. I think he holds to a kind of neo-orthodox view of Scripture --the notion that the Bible has historical and scientific errors in it. His ideas do not reflect the consensus of Orthodox Christians.

I don't think there are any good reasons to deny Adam and Eve lived; and I believe that the attack of liberals on Adam and Eve consequently amounts to an attack on the person, work and authority of the Lord Jesus. But I am sure this is not your reason and intention. I am going to present my case for why I believe Adam and Eve were historical personages, and why I believe it is not possible for an Orthodox Christian to deny their historicity. First, the Lord Jesus affirmed the existence of Adam and Eve.

In Matthew 19:4-5, it says:

"And he answered and said unto them, Have ye not read, that he which made them at the beginning made them male and female,
And said, For this cause shall a man leave father and mother, and shall cleave to his wife: and they twain shall be one flesh?

Second, Genesis chapters 1 and 2 speaks of Adam and Eve as historical persons, and narrates key events in their lives.

Third, Genesis 1 is not in the form of Hebrew poetry.

Fourth, the creation account is in the form of historical narrative.

Fifth, Adam and Eve gave birth to literal children. See Gen. 4:1, 25, and 5:1.

Sixth, the phrase "this is the account of' is used to record later history in Genesis, the creation account, and of Adam and Eve, including their descendants (Gen.5:1).

Seventh, The Old Testament chronology in 1Chron 1:1 places Adam and Eve at the top of the list.

Eighth, In Luke 3:38, Adam and Eve are listed as Jesus' literal ancestors.

Ninth, Saint Paul teaches us n Romans 5:12-14 that Adam brought death into the world.

Tenth, in 1Cor. 15:45, St. Paul shows the comparison between the first man, Adam, and Christ, the last Adam. It is clear from this passage, that St. Paul understood Adam to be an historical person.

Eleventh, in 1Tim. 2:13-14, St. Paul is speaking of the literal and historical Adam and Eve, when he uses the phrase "Adam was first formed, then Eve." As I have shown, by denying the historicity of Adam and Eve, one would be doing great harm to other parts of the Bible.

Twelfth, logically the human race must have had first parents.

Thirteenth, we have the evidence from the Ebla Tablets.

Sixteen thousand clay tablets dated to the third millennium B.C. were found in Ebla Syria. They are known as the Ebla tablets. These tablets contain the oldest creation account outside the Bible, and pre-date the Babylonian creation account by 600 years. Not only do these tablets speak of one supreme God who created out of nothing, like Genesis says, but they also make reference to Adam, Eve, and Noah.

Fourteenth, archaeological findings tend to support Old Testament history and reliability.

William F. Albright was known as the dean of American Bible archaeologists. He said: "There can be no doubt that archaeology has confirmed the substantial historicity of the Old Testament tradition. (Archaeology and Religion of Israel, p. 176).

Even liberal sources admit to the general historical reliability of the Old Testament. In his book, "Is the Bible True?" Jeffrey Sheler writes:

"In extraordinary ways, modern archaeology has affirmed the historical core of the Old Testament---corroborating key portions of the stories of Israel's patriarchs, the Exodus, the Davidic monarchy, and the life and times of Jesus." (p. 52).

WHEN WRITING ABOUT THE OLD TESTAMENT, WILLIAM GREEN writes:

"It may safely be said that no other work of antiquity has ever been so accurately transmitted." [Green, General Introduction to the Old Testament, p. 21].

The Jewish archeologist Nelson Glueck said:

"It may be stated categorically that no archeological discovery has ever controverted a single biblical reference. Scores of archeological findings have been made which confirm in clear outline or in exact detail historical statements in the Bible." [Glueck, Rivers in the Desert, p. 31].

The Fifteenth point I want to make is, that The Holy Fathers had high regard for the Bible.

St. Basil the Great writes: “Plainly it is a falling away from faith and an offence chargeable to pride, either to reject anything that is in Scripture, or to introduce anything that is not in Scripture”.

St. Gregory the Theologian: “We who extend the accuracy of the Spirit to every letter and serif [of Scripture] will never admit, for it were impious to do so, that even the smallest matters were recorded in a careless and hasty manner by those who wrote them down.”

St. Epiphanius of Cyprus teaches: “Nothing of discrepancy will be found in Sacred Scripture, nor will there be found any statement in opposition to any other statement.”

St. Barsanuphius of Optina: “In the Apocalypse it is said: ‘Blessed is he that readeth the words of this book.’ If this is written, it means that it is really so, for the words of the Sacred Scripture are the words of the Holy Spirit.”

St. Ambrose: ‘Moses “spoke to God the Most High, not in a vision nor in dreams, but mouth to mouth."

St. Basil: "This man, who is made equal to the angels, being considered worthy of the sight of God face to face, reports to us those things which he heard from God."

St. John Chrysostom in his Homilies on Genesis comes back again and again to the statement that every word of the Scripture is Divinely inspired and has a profound meaning - that it is not Moses' words, but God's:

‘Let us see now what we are taught by the blessed Moses, who speaks not of himself but by the inspiration of the grace of the Spirit.’

St. John Chrysostom says that, just as St. John the Theologian was a prophet of things of the future, Moses was a prophet of things of the past.

He says: ‘All the other prophets spoke either of what was to occur after a long time or of what was about to happen then; but he, the blessed (Moses), who lived many generations after (the creation of the world), was vouchsafed by the guidance of the right hand of the Most High to utter what had been done by the Lord before his own birth. It is for this reason that he begins to speak thus: "In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth," as if calling out to us all with a loud voice: it is not by the instruction of men that I say this; He Who called them (heaven and earth) out of non-being into being - it is He Who has roused my tongue to relate of them. And therefore I entreat you, let us pay heed to these words as if we heard not Moses but the very Lord of the universe Who speaks through the tongue of Moses, and let us take leave for good of our own opinions.’

Saints Gregory the Theologian and Amphilocius tell us to accept Moses' books and all the Bible.

Canon 5 of the Regional Council of Carthage says that the Bible is divine.

I do not believe it is possible for a Christian to deny the historical reality of Adam and Eve, and still remain a Christian. To be a Christian, one must believe in Christian Scripture. To deny a literal Adam and Eve, is to consequently damage significant portions of Holy Scripture, undermine the authority of the Word of God, and undermine the person, work and authority of the Lord Jesus himself.

jckstraw72

Doin' that whole Orthodox thing
Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
you are absolutely correct that Adam and Eve are historical persons, and this actually matters for our theology. They are recognized as Saints by the Church, in fact. However, you say:

I do not believe it is possible for a Christian to deny the historical reality of Adam and Eve, and still remain a Christian. To be a Christian, one must believe in Christian Scripture. To deny a literal Adam and Eve, is to consequently damage significant portions of Holy Scripture, undermine the authority of the Word of God, and undermine the person, work and authority of the Lord Jesus himself.

I would not go this far, because most people who deny their historical reality do so out of ignorance of what the Church teaches. there are those, of course, like Abp. Lazar who know better though ...

Upvote 0
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I fail to see how a person can claim to be an Orthodox Christian and yet the actual existence of our first parents, somehow claiming them to be a silly allegory or a myth to be used in conjunction with evolution.....

I'm with jckstraw on this all the way. Makes no sense to me.

Upvote 0
E

Euthymios

To be a Christian means one must believe in certain things. I don't see how a person who does not know biblical ABC's (example, about Adam and Eve), can be a Christian. Additionally, a Christian must believe in Christ, his teachings, and in the New Testament. The New Testament teaches Adam and Eve existed. And Christ makes reference to them in St. Matthew 19.

Upvote 0

Sayre

Veteran
Sep 21, 2013
✟18,216.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Can't say I agree with this at all :/.

I'm just a visitor in your forum, though some here would know that I'm investigating both RC and EO to see where my home will be. I'd like to ask questions - but as I'm a visitor - let me know if you want me to do this here or in another thread.

*waves*

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
I see several problems here - first to even ask such a question and then "prove" the answer seems to be an exercise in western scholastic theology which should be foreign to Orthodoxy. Second, it seems to equate historical veracity with truth, which would be a mistake. Third, it seems to apply a modern and therefore anachronistic world view onto the whole narrative that just doesn't belong. The whole things just looks like young earth apologetics (aka grammatico-historical exegesis) to me and might lead one to believe that if I got into a time machine and went back 6000 years, then I would meet the first two humans named Adam and Eve.

Upvote 0

ArmyMatt

Site Supporter
Jan 26, 2007
Earth
✟1,464,127.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
if Jesus is the New Adam, than there must have been a first Adam. seems pretty clear to me. Jesus also spoke of a literal Flood of Noah as well.

I'd like to ask questions - but as I'm a visitor - let me know if you want me to do this here or in another thread.

start up a new thread and ask away!

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
The whole things just looks like young earth apologetics (aka grammatico-historical exegesis) to me and might lead one to believe that if I got into a time machine and went back 6000 years, then I would meet the first two humans named Adam and Eve.

the Church celebrates them as Saints. They surely existed, so of course were time travel possible you would meet them.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Yep. I've never heard of "allegorical saints," so saying they're figurative or mythical comes in direct conflict with the ancient faith.

the Church celebrates them as Saints. They surely existed, so of course were time travel possible you would meet them.

Upvote 0

jckstraw72

Dec 9, 2005
South Canaan, PA
Visit site
✟64,422.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Engaged
Politics
US-Republican
Kristos, I thought you were saying Euthymios' post gives the false idea that Adam and Eve were historical people from a few thousand years ago. I was responding to that. If I read you incorrectly then I apologize.

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Kristos, I thought you were saying Euthymios' post gives the false idea that Adam and Eve were historical people from a few thousand years ago. I was responding to that. If I read you incorrectly then I apologize.

That is exactly what I'm saying, which is very different from "they surely existed".

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
E

Euthymios

Can't say I agree with this at all :/.

I'm just a visitor in your forum, though some here would know that I'm investigating both RC and EO to see where my home will be. I'd like to ask questions - but as I'm a visitor - let me know if you want me to do this here or in another thread.
*waves*

You can't say you agree with what? No argument or evidence was adduced in your favor.

Upvote 0

rusmeister

A Russified American Orthodox Chestertonian
Dec 9, 2005
Eastern Europe
Visit site
✟434,922.00
Country
Montenegro
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Didn't we just discuss this a month or two ago on that evolution thread?
Feels kind of repetitive to me.

I'm totally OK with the idea that modern scientific thought is actually wrong, even very wrong, but wouldn't insist on the 6,000-year thing, either. I can easily imagine human history as stretching back ten or twenty thousand years. But I really don't think it was much more than that. I'd favor 10k, myself. I think the insistence that man MUST be much older because scientists tell us so is an attempt at syncretism of faith in the Faith and an equal faith that modern science is similarly true (and infallible). Certainly, if one accepts that man is in the millions, the story of Adam and Eve and how it is treated and seen in Tradition becomes much more dubious, and our rationalizing minds begin doing the inevitable gymnastics to somehow keep both rationally palatable... until we finally begin rejecting Tradition as impossible.

What I still think most don't see is that the hermeneutics of the scientists are founded on assumptions of a world that was never unFallen, or more to the point, that they get and got their assumptions from teachings that held atheist assumptions, that there is no God or supernatural - something that natural scientist naturally doesn't deal with, study, or take into account.
The assumptions of that world view, mostly not discussed or considered consciously, have dominated twentieth, and now twenty-first century science, and have lead to this unquestioning faith that their grand theory cannot be wrong, merely because they come to their conclusions consistently. Yet if the hermeneutics have been wrong, then such error is unavoidable, and I think that to be the case.

So I have returned to the faith of my childhood, though I do not insist on exact figures such as "6,000 years". I think "the young 'uns" can also leave things out of THEIR calculations.

So yes, Virginia, there IS an Adam and Eve.

Upvote 0
E

Euthymios

I see several problems here - first to even ask such a question and then "prove" the answer seems to be an exercise in western scholastic theology which should be foreign to Orthodoxy.

Nobody asked any questions. Archbishop Lazar made an assertion against Scripture and the Church. So, as a Christian, I am obligated to give an answer in reply (1 Peter 3:15), and to contend for the faith (Jude 3). This has absolutely nothing to do with labels such as "scholastic theology." Putting a label on something doesn't solve the problem. And your premise (that to ask this question is an exercise in scholastic theology) is unproven and invalid, so consequently the conclusion (that it should be foreign to Orthodoxy) does not follow logically.

Second, it seems to equate historical veracity with truth, which would be a mistake.

You put an artificial wedge between historical veracity and truth, but no reason was given why. I don't see how there is a difference between historical truth and truth itself. This is an assertion on your part, but you gave no argument in support. Only if one assumes a priori that historical veracity does not equate to truth, could they make such a bold assertion. Therefore, your premise is invalid. On what basis do you assume it's an "either/or," and not an "and/both"?

Third, it seems to apply a modern and therefore anachronistic world view onto the whole narrative that just doesn't belong.

The view that Adam and Eve existed, is not modern. I cited Scripture itself, and the traditional and historical view about Adam and Eve. Second, you failed to give any argument for the assumption (premise) that something "modern" is anachronistic. You asserted this, but failed to adduce any evidence or argument for it. I appelaed to SCRIPTURE itself. You have not given any reason why the passages should be rejected. Lastly, something "modern" is not false because it is modern (appeal to novelty fallacy). Nor is something true just because it is old (appeal to antiquity fallacy). Arguments should be evaluated on their own merits. I cited Scripture, and you have not given any reason why the passages I cited should be rejected.

The whole things just looks like young earth apologetics (aka grammatico-historical exegesis) to me and might lead one to believe that if I got into a time machine and went back 6000 years, then I would meet the first two humans named Adam and Eve.

This is a straw man, because I did not adduce young earth creationism in my argument (although personally I believe in young earth creationism). It is also a red herring fallacy. You are shifting the focus away from the topic. You have attacked young earth creationism, but not given any reason why it should be rejected. As a matter of fact, a time machine would take you back to Adam and Eve.

You made several assertions, but did not supply any reason why the Scriptural passages I cited, and the words of Christ himself, should be rejected.

Archbishop Lazar has played into the hands of Neo-Orthodoxy and Liberal theology, although probably inadvertently.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
E

Euthymios

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]rusmeister,

There is a difference between Evolution and science. The former is a pagan religion. I am assuming people here are Orthodox. St. John of Damascus' Exposition encapsulates the orthodox teachings of all the Holy Fathers up to the mid eighth century. The orthodox understanding of the 6 day creation of Genesis is literal and completely excludes "theistic evolutionism."
[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Upvote 0