Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
When the dust has settled the innocent lives taken by the Oregon shooter are indeed part of the price of freedom in the U.S. The shooter had not violated any gun laws, and the only way he could have been prevented from doing this act was to have been committed to a secure mental institution under the pertinent laws of the State of Oregon.

AceHero

Veteran
Sep 10, 2005
✟21,933.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The populace doesn't deserve to suffer just so some people have complete unfettered access to guns. Guns shouldn't be illegal, but they shouldn't be ridiculously easy to acquire. Living alongside so many mass shootings to the extent that they've become commonplace shows that we're doing it wrong.

Upvote 0

dgiharris

Old Crusty Vet
Jan 9, 2013
✟131,531.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Single
Or we can stop the freedom nonsense, make it illegal to own guns.
If you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have them.

However, I'm a big fan of meeting in the middle.

If we have the same requirements for gun ownership as we do car ownership, we'd solve a lot of problems related to gun issues.

Require Registration, require ballistics registration of each gun so you can match a bullet with a gun in a national database, require licensing to own a gun (i.e. you have to pass a test), require screening (background checks and medical checks mental health check)...

The real culprit here isn't so much the gun, but the people who wield them. The root cause of the mass shooting problems isn't the gun but rather mentally unstable people. We need to focus on the root cause meaning we need to focus on how we identify and treat the mentally ill in this country.

It is normal to periodically get a physical, however, why isn't it normal to get a periodic mental health screening?
The vast majority of the populace has never had a real in-depth mental health screening. Mental health is one of those things that everyone just assumes they know all about.

What we really need as a nation is to rethink mental health and to take concrete steps to ensure a mentally healthy populace. Those who are not mentally healthy should not be allowed to own guns. And illegal guns should be regarded the same way that drugs are. Which brings us back to registration.

Registration and screening is only a partial solution. The real solution is to take steps to ensure a mentally healthy populace and identify those who are not mentally stable and ensure they aren't allowed to own guns.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others

If we have the same requirements for gun ownership as we do car ownership, we'd solve a lot of problems related to gun issues.

Require Registration, require ballistics registration of each gun so you can match a bullet with a gun in a national database, require licensing to own a gun (i.e. you have to pass a test), require screening (background checks and medical checks mental health check)...

The real culprit here isn't so much the gun, but the people who wield them. The root cause of the mass shooting problems isn't the gun but rather mentally unstable people. We need to focus on the root cause meaning we need to focus on how we identify and treat the mentally ill in this country.

It is normal to periodically get a physical, however, why isn't it normal to get a periodic mental health screening?
The vast majority of the populace has never had a real in-depth mental health screening. Mental health is one of those things that everyone just assumes they know all about.

What we really need as a nation is to rethink mental health and to take concrete steps to ensure a mentally healthy populace. Those who are not mentally healthy should not be allowed to own guns. And illegal guns should be regarded the same way that drugs are. Which brings us back to registration.

Registration and screening is only a partial solution. The real solution is to take steps to ensure a mentally healthy populace and identify those who are not mentally stable and ensure they aren't allowed to own guns.

Every time a person visits their doctor their mental health is at least surreptitously observed by that doctor. I recently changed doctors and after a brief consultation about an upcoming procedure the doctor introduced me to his supervisor, ostensibly to 'meet the new patient' and (humorously) ensure her that I wasn't an 'ax murderer'. The supervisor talked with me briefly, kind of a 'first impression' looksee. Kinda like Mark Twain examining that 'genuine Mexican plug' to see if there was 'anything wild in his eye'. :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
When the dust has settled the innocent lives taken by the Oregon shooter are indeed part of the price of freedom in the U.S. The shooter had not violated any gun laws, and the only way he could have been prevented from doing this act was to have been committed to a secure mental institution under the pertinent laws of the State of Oregon.
I guess it's not a "gun law" but I understand it is posted that the campus is a "gun-free zone", so it looks like he did violate some law before he started shooting.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
The real culprit here isn't so much the gun, but the people who wield them.
Actually, it's both. Put a knife or a hammer in the hands of a mentally ill person and even if they go on a rampage there will be a lot less carnage. The problem with the gun is that it can kill so many people so fast and at a distance.

Upvote 0

dysert

Feb 29, 2012
USA
✟112,984.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

While I think that's good in theory, it wouldn't work in practice. That's because of the way mentally ill people are treated in society. For example, I personally know someone who was fired as soon as their employer found out they had depression. So it's not just a social stigma but a problem that can affect a person's whole life.

Reactions: Innsmuthbride
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Perhaps the kids should identify all the 'weirdo's' and 'loner's' to the school staff. They know who they are. Also notice that it is the 'peer' group that is most often targeted, from the 'disgruntled' postal workers shooting their fellow workers to high school and college kids shooting other students, usually in their own school. There is a social problem within these communities that should be examined. Bullying and exclusion are likely factors. And of course some of these kids are just nuts.

Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,713.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens
I have a feeling it's only worth it because one of YOUR loved ones hasn't been killed.
260,000 people HAVE been killed in the last decade. I'm not convinced many of their family members would necessarily share your view.
There are many, MANY countries in the world where people have "Just as much freedom with none of the mass murders!"

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Chicken Little

Jun 11, 2010
mid-Americauna
✟3,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
Or we can stop the freedom nonsense, make it illegal to own guns.
no just make it illegal for those who think it should be made illegal. they are the problem.

Reactions: Darkhorse
Upvote 0

rambot

Apr 13, 2006
Up your nose....wid a rubbah hose.
✟361,713.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
CA-Greens

You will ALWAYS have mentally unwell people. ALYWAYS! They will never disappear. Again, Aussie's biggest massacre was carried about by a terribly mentally unwell man. They put in strict gun laws (as opposed to TREMENDOUS support for mental health) and saw huge benefit.

Upvote 0

Chicken Little

Jun 11, 2010
mid-Americauna
✟3,163.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Constitution
OK you can have our guns the minute you take the peckers off of every liberal first because they won't tell the truth or know it either. and then every man who has ever abused it , diseased it , and everyone who ever will do those things in the future !
or let us keep our guns!
because wild and nasty and aggressive ,sneaky lying peckers kill more innocent , harm more innocent and disease more innocent than anything else on the planet by far !
hell has ever only ever existed to date in between mankind right ear and left year.. the pit is for all who refuse to control their own hell.

Last edited:
Reactions: OldWiseGuy
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I have a feeling it's only worth it because one of YOUR loved ones hasn't been killed.

If my loved ones were victims I wouldn't be qualified to render an objective opinion on the subject.

260,000 people HAVE been killed in the last decade.

And we have to go through them one at a time to get a clear picture.

I'm not convinced many of their family members would necessarily share your view.

And I would understand if they didn't.

There are many, MANY countries in the world where people have "Just as much freedom with none of the mass murders!"

The U.S. is unique, not to be compared with 'many' other countries.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

ChristsSoldier115

Mabaho na Kuya
Jul 30, 2013
The greatest state in the Union: Ohio
✟26,502.00
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
In Relationship
The problem is the ever increasing lack of interaction americans have one another. Too many loners or people who want to be left alone. If he had good friends he would either A) not do it at all or B) they would have picked up on his intentions and warned the authorities.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Your empathy for the families of the dead is a beacon unto all of us.

"Well, gee, your kid is dead, but hey, at least you have freedom to buy a gun without meaningful background checks".

Upvote 0

Armoured

So is America great again yet?
Supporter
Aug 31, 2013
✟234,967.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The U.S. is unique, not to be compared with 'many' other countries.
Other than being the only developed nation that regularly features mass shootings, what's so "unique" about it?

Reactions: Ada Lovelace
Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
The problem is the ever increasing lack of interaction americans have one another. Too many loners or people who want to be left alone. If he had good friends he would either A) not do it at all or B) they would have picked up on his intentions and warned the authorities.

Or it could have been another Columbine.

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Your empathy for the families of the dead is a beacon unto all of us.

"Well, gee, your kid is dead, but hey, at least you have freedom to buy a gun without meaningful background checks".

?

Upvote 0

OldWiseGuy

Wake me when it's soup.
Supporter
Feb 4, 2006
Wisconsin
Visit site
✟960,122.00
Country
United States
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
Other than being the only developed nation that regularly features mass shootings, what's so "unique" about it?

Our expectations are greater, as well as our disappointments, which may account for much of the violence.

Upvote 0