Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
What I find interesting in this verse is that the word "hills" is used on 2 times in the NT and both in Luke.

3:5 every ravine shall be being filled and every mountain and hill shall be being leveled and shall be the crookeds into straight and the roughs into ways smoooth. [Isaiah 40:4]

http://www.greeknewtestament.com/index.htm

Textus Rec.) Luke 3:5 pasa faragx plhrwqhsetai kai pan oroV kai bounoV tapeinwqhsetai kai estai ta skolia eiV euqeian kai ai traceiai eiV odouV leiaV

Luke 23:30 "Then they shall be beginning to be saying to the mountains 'be falling upon us' and to the hills 'cover us'". [Hosea 10:8/Reve 6:16]

1015. bounos boo-nos' probably of foreign origin; a hillock:--hill [Used only 2 times in NT: Luke 3:5 and Luke 23:30]

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Isa 45:2 I will go before thee, and make the crooked places straight: I will break in pieces the gates of brass, and cut in sunder the bars of iron:

I like crooked - an odd word

G4646
σκολιός
skolios
skol-ee-os'
From the base of G4628; warped, that is, winding; figuratively perverse: - crooked, froward, untoward.

seems like it comes from crooked legs - that don't walk straight - they don't walk the walk - action baby - these boots were made for walkin...walkin straight

Rev 21:24
And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.

G4043
περιπατέω
peripateō
per-ee-pat-eh'-o
From G4012 and G3961; to tread all around, that is, walk at large (especially as proof of ability); figuratively to live, deport oneself, follow (as a companion or votary): - go, be occupied with, walk (about).

That's what I'm talkin about...

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Isa 45:2 I will go before thee, and make the crooked places straight: I will break in pieces the gates of brass, and cut in sunder the bars of iron:

G4646
σκολιός
skolios
skol-ee-os'
From the base of G4628; warped, that is, winding; figuratively perverse: - crooked, froward, untoward.

seems like it comes from crooked legs - that don't walk straight - they don't walk the walk - action baby - these boots were made for walkin...walkin straight

Rev 21:24 And the nations of them which are saved shall walk in the light of it: and the kings of the earth do bring their glory and honour into it.

G4043
περιπατέω
peripateō
per-ee-pat-eh'-o
From G4012 and G3961; to tread all around, that is, walk at large (especially as proof of ability); figuratively to live, deport oneself, follow (as a companion or votary): - go, be occupied with, walk (about).

That's what I'm talkin about...

That was for you, LLOJ;)

I wish I could have my entire library on ebook. That would be cool!

Better yet, I wish someone would parse the ECFs into an eSword commentary that is tied by relevant verse. That would be super cool.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Originally Posted by Kristos

The word for "iron" is only mentioned 6 times in the NT and all but 1 time in the book of Revelation.......

Reve 18:12 cargo/replete of gold and of silver and of stone, precious and of pearl/*s and of cambric and of purple and of silk and of scarlet and every wood citron and every instrument of ivory and every instrument out of wood most-precious and of copper/brass and of Iron/sidhrou <4604> and of marble, [Daniel 2:5]

4603. sidereos sid-ay'-reh-os from 4604; made of iron:--(of) iron. [Used 5 times Acts 12:10, Reve 2:27, 9:9, 12:5, 19:5]
4604. sideros sid'-ay-ros of uncertain derivation; iron:--iron. [1 time Reve 18:12]

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Luke 3:6 -- "And all mankind will see God's salvation."

Hmm. So God's a preterist. Interesting.

Go Cards!
I am leaning more toward "full-preterist" myself but not quite yet :)

Not sure what translation you used but the greek word is for "flesh" and intersting the same form of the word "to see" is used in Reve 1:7 :wave:

Luke 3:6 And shall-be-seeing/oyetai <3700> (5695) All flesh the Salvation of the God. [Gene 6:13/Reve 11:18, 19:17]

Textus Rec.) Luke 3:6 kai oyetai pasa sarx to swthrion tou qeou

Reve 1:7 Behold! He is coming with the clouds and shall be seeing/oyetai <3700> (5695) Him every eye even who-any Him they pierce and shall be wailing over Him all the Tribes of the land yea amen.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This form of the greek word for "about to be" used 6 times including 2 times in the book of Revelation [3:10, 12:4].

3:7 He said then to the ones going out throngs to be baptized by him "gener/fruit of vipers who intimates to ye to be fleeing from the being about/melloushV <3195> (5723) wrath."

Luke 3:7 elegen oun toiV ekporeuomenoiV ocloiV baptisqhnai up autou gennhmata ecidnwn tiV upedeixen umin fugein apo thV melloushV orghV

Reve 3:10 That thou keep the Word of the endurance of Me, I also thee shall be keeping out of the hour of the trial of the being about/melloushV <3195> (5723), to be coming upon the being-homed whole, to try the ones dwelling upon the land.

3195. mello mel'-lo
a strengthened form of 3199 (through the idea of expectation); to intend, i.e. be about to be, do, or suffer something (of persons or things, especially events; in the sense of purpose, duty, necessity, probability, possibility, or hesitation):--about, after that, be (almost), (that which is, things, + which was for) to come, intend, was to (be), mean, mind, be at the point, (be) ready, + return, shall (begin), (which, that) should (after, afterwards, hereafter) tarry, which was for, will, would, be yet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

PujolsNonRoidHomerHitter

He's not a man! He's a machine!
Feb 8, 2008
Missouri
Visit site
✟23,090.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Luke 3:8 -- "Produce fruit in keeping with repentance. And do not begin to say to yourselves, 'We have Abraham as our father.' For I tell you that out of these stones God can raise up children for Abraham."

I wonder what stones he was referring to? Perhaps just the immediate rocks around him. More likely a reference to the Gentiles or hard hearted people in general.

Go Cards

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
# 1581 used 10 times. 7 times in Gospels, 3 times in Epistles.
This form of the word used 3 times. Here and in Matt 3:10/7:19.

Luke 3:9 Already yet even the axe toward the root of the trees is lying; every therefore tree not doing fruit ideal, is being hewn down/ekkoptetai <1581> (5743) and into fire is being cast.

Luke 3:9 hdh de kai h axinh proV thn rizan twn dendrwn keitai pan oun dendron mh poioun karpon kalon ekkoptetai kai eiV pur balletai

1581. ekkopto ek-kop'-to from 1537 and 2875; to exscind; figuratively, to frustrate:--cut down (off, out), hew down, hinder.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This form of the greek word #3793 used 29 times and only in 3 of the Gospels, Acts and 1 time in Revelation

3:10 And inquired of Him the throngs/ocloi <3793> saying "what? then should we be doing"

Textus Rec.) Luke 3:10 kai ephrwtwn auton oi ocloi legonteV ti oun poihsomen

Reve 17:15 And He is saying to me "the waters which thou saw where the Prostitute is sitting, peoples and throngs/ocloi <3793> are and nations and tongues.

3793. ochlos okh'los from a derivative of 2192 (meaning a vehicle); a throng (as borne along); by implication, the rabble; by extension, a class of people; figuratively, a riot:--company, multitude, number (of people), people, press.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
3:11 Answering yet He said to them "the one having 2 tunics let be sharing! to the one no having and the one having foods/brwmata <1033> likewise be doing

http://www.olivetree.com/cgi-bin/EnglishBible.htm

Textus Rec.) Luke 3:11 apokriqeiV de legei autoiV o ecwn duo citwnaV metadotw tw mh econti kai o ecwn brwmata omoiwV poieitw

1033. broma bro'-mah from the base of 977; food (literally or figuratively), especially (ceremonially) articles allowed or forbidden by the Jewish law:--meat, victuals.
977. bibrosko bib-ro'-sko a reduplicated and prolonged form of an obsolete primary verb (perhaps causative of 1006); to eat:--eat.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
#5057 used 21 times and only in Matt, Mark and Luke. Levi is mentioned as one in Luke 5.

3:12 Came yet also tribute-collectors/telwnai <5057> to be baptized and they say toward him "teacher! what should we be doing"?

Luke 3:12 hlqon de kai telwnai baptisqhnai kai eipon proV auton didaskale ti poihsomen

5057. telones tel-o'-nace from 5056 and 5608; a tax-farmer, i.e. collector of public revenue:--publican.
5056. telos tel'-os from a primary tello (to set out for a definite point or goal); properly, the point aimed at as a limit, i.e. (by implication) the conclusion of an act or state (termination (literally, figuratively or indefinitely), result (immediate, ultimate or prophetic), purpose); specially, an impost or levy (as paid):--+ continual, custom, end(-ing), finally, uttermost. Compare 5411.
5608. oneomai o-neh'-om-ahee middle voice from an apparently primary onos (a sum or price); to purchase (synonymous with the earlier 4092):-- buy.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
#1299 used 16 times and only in the Gospels of Matt [1 time] and Luke [4 times]

3:13 The yet He said toward them "nothing more beside the having been prescribed/appointed/diatetagmenon <1299> (5772) to ye be ye practicing!

Textus Rec.) Luke 3:13 o de eipen proV autouV mhden pleon para to diatetagmenon umin prassete

1299. diatasso dee-at-as'-so from 1223 and 5021; to arrange thoroughly, i.e. (specially) institute, prescribe, etc.:--appoint, command, give, (set in) order, ordain
5021. tasso tas'-so a prolonged form of a primary verb (which latter appears only in certain tenses); to arrange in an orderly manner, i.e. assign or dispose (to a certain position or lot):--addict, appoint, determine, ordain, set.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
3:13 Inquired yet of Him also soldiers saying "what should be doing also us"?
And He said toward them "no one ye should be extorting neither should be defrauding and be ye being sufficed! to the rations of ye"

Textus Rec.) Luke 3:14 ephrwtwn de auton kai strateuomenoi legonteV kai hmeiV ti poihsomen kai eipen proV autouV mhdena diaseishte mhde sukofanthshte kai arkeisqe toiV oywnioiV umwn

Upvote 0

Tu Es Petrus

Dec 10, 2008
✟4,037.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Republican

Luke 3:14: "Then some soldiers asked him, "And what should we do?" He replied, "Don't extort money and don't accuse people falsely&#8212;be content with your pay."

This is pretty similar to 3:10 thru 3:13. Each group seems to be made aware of their particular sin or wrongdoing, and, in a sense, told to repent of it and do it no more.

Later in the Bible, Jesus echoes this sentiment when he tells the girl accused of adultery to "go and sin no more."

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
# 4328 used 16 times, only in Matt and Luke of the Gospels, Acts and 2 Peter.
This form of it only used in this verse and since all of Israel was expecting the Messiah, they are now assuming that JTB is that one

3:15 Of hoping/seeming/prosdokwntoV <4328> (5723) yet the people and of reasoning all in the hearts of them concerning the John lest he may be the Christ

Textus Rec.) Luke 3:15 prosdokwntoV de tou laou kai dialogizomenwn pantwn en taiV kardiaiV autwn peri tou iwannou mhpote autoV eih o cristoV

4328. prosdokao pros-dok-ah'-o from 4314 and dokeuo (to watch); to anticipate (in thought, hope or fear); by implication, to await:--(be in) expect(-ation), look (for), when looked, tarry, wait for.
1380. dokeo dok-eh'-o a prolonged form of a primary verb, doko dok'-o (used only in an alternate in certain tenses; compare the base of 1166) of the same meaning; to think; by implication, to seem (truthfully or uncertainly):--be accounted, (of own) please(-ure), be of reputation, seem (good), suppose, think, trow.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
This verse is also shown in Matt 3:11 and Mark 1:7 and partly in John 1:26. Minor variance in word order shown in the W-H.......

3:16 Answers the John all saying "I indeed to water baptizing ye, is coming yet the stronger of me of Whom not I am competent to loose the strap of the sandals of Him. He ye shall be baptizing in a spirit, holy-one, and fire"

http://www.olivetree.com/cgi-bin/EnglishBible.htm

Textus Rec.) Luke 3:16 apekrinato o iwannhV apasin legwn egw men udati baptizw umaV ercetai de o iscuroteroV mou ou ouk eimi ikanoV lusai ton imanta twn upodhmatwn autou autoV umaV baptisei en pneumati agiw kai puri

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
# 596 used 6 times. Only in Matt and Luke

3:17 In Whom the winnowing-shovel in the hand of Him *and to thru-cleanse the threashing-floor and together gather the grain into the barn/apoqhkhn <596> of Him, the yet chaff He shall be burning to fire unquenched

Textus Rec.) Luke 3:17 ou to ptuon en th ceiri autou kai diakaqariei thn alwna autou kai sunaxei ton siton eiV thn apoqhkhn autou to de acuron katakausei puri asbestw

596. apotheke ap-oth-ay'-kay from 659; a repository, i.e. granary:--barn, garner.
595. apothesis ap-oth'-es-is from 659; a laying aside (literally or figuratively):--putting away (off).

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
# 2097 used 54 times including 2 times in Revelation.
This form used 3 times, here and in Acts 8 and 17.

3:18 Many indeed then also different-things entreating He well-messagized/euhggelizeto <2097> (5710) to-the people

Textus Rec.) Luke 3:18 polla men oun kai etera parakalwn euhggelizeto ton laon

Last time used:

Reve 14:6 And I saw another Messenger flying in mid-heaven having well-message age-abiding to well-messagize/euaggelisai <2097> (5658) the ones sitting/*dwelling upon the land and [*upon] every nation and tribe and tongue and people.

2097. euaggelizo yoo-ang-ghel-id'-zo from 2095 and 32; to announce good news ("evangelize") especially the gospel:--declare, bring (declare, show) glad (good) tidings, preach (the gospel).

Upvote 0

Kristos

Servant
Aug 30, 2006
Minnesota
✟37,552.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Pro 15:12 A scorner loveth not one that reproveth him: neither will he go unto the wise.

Luk 3:19 But Herod the tetrarch, being reproved by him for Herodias his brother Philip's wife, and for all the evils which Herod had done,
Luk 3:20 Added yet this above all, that he shut up John in prison.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.