Feb 8, 2008
Missouri
Visit site
✟23,090.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Ok, here's the drill: let's start a commentary on the book of Luke. The way we'll work it is like this . . .

1. Post ONE verse, IN ORDER, and give a bit of commentary about it.
2. That vs. will stay in play until a new vs is posted.
3. If you disagree with someone's interpretation you may post your own commentary of that particular vs. as long as that particular vs. is still in play. Once a new verse has been posted, the discussion on the vs. in question must cease.
4. Please post verses in order so that we can cover every vs.
5. Please don't write a book. Use the KISS rule.
6. No Cut and paste. You may use sources, just keep it fresh!
6. Chances are some of you may post on the same vs. That's ok. Just gives us more angles to look at.
7. Rules may need to be modified to make this run right. If you have a suggestion or comment, please notify me outside of this thread.

Ok? I'll start.

Luke 1:1 -- "Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us."

What's very interesting to me in this verse is the word 'many'. There haven't been just a few who've written about the life of Jesus, Luke says there were many. While you find many modern day writings about Jesus, when you search for ancient accounts you come up with very little in comparison. Certainly one of the most famous writers outside of the Biblical texts was Josephus who mentions Jesus, as well as Origen and a handful of others. Makes me wonder how many articles were written about Jesus and the things He did that we'll never know about. John makes mention in his gospel that: "Jesus did many other things as well. If everyone of them were written down, I suppose that even the whole world would not have room for the books that would be written." Jn. 21:25.

Even though we have very little information on Jesus life compared to modern day historical greats He must have been a prolific speaker and miracle worker. One of the conversations I wish were included in the Scriptures was Jesus words to the two disciples on the road to Emmaus. Where He told them all about himself from the OT.

I also like the word fulfilled. They weren't half works, or incomplete works, they were fulfilled. Prophecies, miracles, teaching, life, death . . . all of it . . . fulfilled! Thank God our salvation stands on the FULFILLED work of Christ.

Go Cards!

LittleLambofJesus

Hebrews 2:14.... Pesky Devil, git!
Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
Ok? I'll start.

Luke 1:1 -- "Many have undertaken to draw up an account of the things that have been fulfilled among us."

What's very interesting to me in this verse is the word 'many'. There haven't been just a few who've written about the life of Jesus, Luke says there were many. While you find many modern day writings about Jesus, when you search for ancient accounts you come up with very little in comparison.

I also like the word fulfilled. They weren't half works, or incomplete works, they were fulfilled. Prophecies, miracles, teaching, life, death . . . all of it . . . fulfilled! Thank God our salvation stands on the FULFILLED work of Christ.
Hmmm. I will probably have to pass as I would have to translate it from the greek and study more on the words used in it.

For example this form of the greek word #4135 is pretty unique to this verse and seems to perhaps symbolize a form of being sure.

1:1 Forasmuch many take in hand to compose a narrative about the having been fully-assured?/peplhroforhmenwn <4135> (5772) in us the-matters.

Luke 1:1 epeidhper polloi epeceirhsan anataxasqai dihghsin peri twn peplhroforhmenwn en hmin pragmatwn

4135. plerophoreo play-rof-or-eh'-o from 4134 and 5409; to carry out fully (in evidence), i.e. completely assure (or convince), entirely accomplish:--most surely believe, fully know (persuade), make full proof of.

4136. plerophoria play-rof-or-ee'-ah from 4135; entire confidence:--(full) assurance.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

PujolsNonRoidHomerHitter

He's not a man! He's a machine!
Feb 8, 2008
Missouri
Visit site
✟23,090.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
That's quite alright LLoJ, you may take a pass. But that's quite a shame since you have so much to offer. It matters not to me that you desire to use the Greek and concentrate on certain words. All is helpful here friend. :)

Go Cards!

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
That's quite alright LLoJ, you may take a pass. But that's quite a shame since you have so much to offer. It matters not to me that you desire to use the Greek and concentrate on certain words. All is helpful here friend. :)

Go Cards!
:blush: Actually my next project is translating the Gospel of John as I did Revelation verse by verse on the Christian Scriptures board.

http://christianforums.com/showthread.php?t=7167075&page=3
Revelation Chapter 1 Verses

But I will be glad to render the verses as they are in the greek and perhaps that could help. I appreciate your thirst for knowledge of the Word and you are truly good in my view. Peace

Upvote 0

PujolsNonRoidHomerHitter

Feb 8, 2008
Missouri
Visit site
✟23,090.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Luke 1:2 based on what was handed down to us by those who from the start were eyewitnesses and proclaimers of the message...

(wouldn't that have been cool to have been one of the eyewitnesses... in the flesh I mean)

Would you have been an observer from a distance or would you have pressed in to try and meet Him?

Go Cards!

Upvote 0

PujolsNonRoidHomerHitter

Feb 8, 2008
Missouri
Visit site
✟23,090.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Luke 1:3 -- "Therefore, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus."

I find Luke to be a type 'A' personality. A physician, given to details, orderly . . . makes for good reporting. I do believe the CC venerates Luke as the patron saint of physicians and surgeons, with his own holiday on Oct. 18.

Dr. Norman Geisler states that Luke names 32 countries, 54 cities and 9 islands without a factual or historical error.

Some believe Luke died in his 80's. Anyone know how?

Go Cards!

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
For example this form of the greek word #4135 is pretty unique to this verse and seems to perhaps symbolize a form of being sure.

1:1 Forasmuch many take in hand to compose a narrative about the having been fully-assured?/peplhroforhmenwn <4135> (5772) in us the-matters.

Luke 1:1 epeidhper polloi epeceirhsan anataxasqai dihghsin peri twn peplhroforhmenwn en hmin pragmatwn

Go Cards!
I like the way Paul uses it in 2 Tim 4 and even more interesting mentioning the mouth of a lion [mentioned in Daniel and Revelation].

2 Timo 4:17 The yet Lord of me stood-beside and and he in-powers me that thru me the proclamation might be fully-discharged/assured/plhroforhqh <4135> (5686) and should be hearing all the Nations, and I am/was rescued out of mouth of lion

Reve 13:2 And the wild-beast I saw was like-as a leopard and the feet of it as of a bear and the mouth of it as mouth of lion. And gives to it, the dragon, the power of him and the throne of him and authority, great.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married

Hey Card Fan,

This is an interesting item and if I may add the rest of Luke's thoughts.
2 just as those who were eyewitnesses from the beginning and ministers of the word have handed them down to us,
3 I too have decided, after investigating everything accurately anew, to write it down in an orderly sequence for you, most excellent Theophilus,
4 so that you may realize the certainty of the teachings you have received.

I don't want to serail this thread, because it is interesting. But a good point to make about these verses is about the tradition that was handed down, by writing and word of mouth.

There were others that did write about Jesus which some survived and some didn't. Have you read any of the Early Church Father's writings?

Some of these were most likely written before Luke wrote his Gospel and Acts. Clement's letter to the Corinthians, Barnabus, Mathetes and Papias's books may have preceded Luke's.

Papias was a 1st century christian that wrote five Books which survived for many centuries before being lost. He mentions others that wrote, as well, which no longer exist and may not have lasted very long, because we don't see other writers mentioning them.

We have writers telling us of what Papias wrote, such as Eusebius. He provides this: "If, then, any one who had attended on the elders came, I asked minutely after their sayings,-what Andrew or Peter said, or what was said by Philip, or by Thomas, or by James, or by John, or by Matthew, or by any other of the Lord's disciples: which things Aristion and the presbyter John, the disciples of the Lord, say. For I imagined that what was to be got from books was not so profitable to me as what came from the living and abiding voice."

Here Papias tells us that what he learned by word of mouth was more important than what he read in the books. How many were there?

Again, a writers gives us: "[Papias, who is now mentioned by us, affirms that he received the sayings of the apostles from those who accompanied them, and he moreover asserts that he heard in person Aristion and the presbyter John. Accordingly he mentions them frequently by name, and in his writings gives their traditions. Our notice of these circumstances may not be without its use. It may also be worth while to add to the statements of Papias already given, other passages of his in which he relates some miraculous deeds, stating that he acquired the knowledge of them from tradition. The residence of the Apostle Philip with his daughters in Hierapolis has been mentioned above. We must now point out how Papias, who lived at the same time,relates that he had received a wonderful narrative from the daughters of Philip.For he relates that a dead man was raised to life in his day. He also mentions another miracle relating to Justus, surnamed Barsabas, how he swallowed a deadly poison, and received no harm, on account of the grace of the Lord. The same person, moreover, has set down other things as coming to him from unwritten tradition, amongst these some strange parables and instructions of the Saviour, and some other things of a more fabulous nature. Amongst these he says that there will be a millennium after the resurrection from the dead, when the personal reign of Christ will be established on this earth. He moreover hands down, in his own writing,other narratives given by the previously mentioned Aristion of the Lord's sayings, and the traditions of the presbyter John."

We can see in Papias' writing that others such as the daughters of the Apostle Philip and the disciples Ariston and John, (not the Apostle John) wrote narratives.

Luke, seems not to have written his Gospel at the time of Papias' writing for he says:"Mark having become the interpreter of Peter, wrote down accurately whatsoever he remembered. It was not, however, in exact order that he related the sayings or deeds of Christ. For he neither heard the Lord nor accompanied Him. But afterwards, as I said, he accompanied Peter, who accommodated his instructions to the necessities [of his hearers], but with no intention of giving a regular narrative of the Lord's sayings. Wherefore Mark made no mistake in thus writing some things as he remembered them. For of one thing he took especial care, not to omit anything he had heard, and not to put anything fictitious into the statements. [This is what is related by Papias regarding Mark; but with regard to Matthew he has made the following statements]: Matthew put together the oracles [of the Lord] in the Hebrew language, and each one interpreted them as best he could."

There is no mention of Luke's writing, so Papias' books may have also been one of the accounts that Luke refers to in 1:1.

God Bless,
Yarddog

PS. Albert Pujols will look good someday in Yankee pinstripes.

Reactions: Rick Otto
Upvote 0

Photini

Gone.
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,808.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Luke 1:3 -- "Therefore, since I myself have carefully investigated everything from the beginning, it seemed good also to me to write an orderly account for you, most excellent Theophilus."

I find Luke to be a type 'A' personality. A physician, given to details, orderly . . . makes for good reporting. I do believe the CC venerates Luke as the patron saint of physicians and surgeons, with his own holiday on Oct. 18.

Dr. Norman Geisler states that Luke names 32 countries, 54 cities and 9 islands without a factual or historical error.

Some believe Luke died in his 80's. Anyone know how?

Go Cards!

The EO also venerates St Luke as a physician and also the first Iconographer. It is believed that he was 84 when he was hanged from an olive tree outside of Thebes. There is an olive tree there to this day that is believed to be the same tree that he was hanged from.

His feast days (in EO) are celebrated on October 18; on April 22 with Apostles Nathaniel and Clement; on June 20 on which day his relics, among others, were translated to the Church of the Holy Apostles in Constantinople; and on January 4, the synaxis of the Seventy.

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I found it interesting this verse uses the article "the" before the greek word #803. This word appears to imply "secure/safe". It is only used 3 times in the NT [Acts 5:23 and 1 Thess 5:3].

http://www.scripture4all.org/

1:4 That thou may be upon-knowing about which-things thou was instructed/taught Words the certain/secure/asfaleian <803>.

Luke 1:4 ina epi-gnwV peri wn kathchqhV logwn thn asfaleian

803. asphaleia as-fal'-i-ah from 804; security (literally or figuratively):--certainty, safety.
804. asphales as-fal-ace' from 1 (as a negative particle) and sphallo (to "fail"); secure (literally or figuratively):--certain(-ty), safe, sure.

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
The EO also venerates St Luke as a physician and also the first Iconographer. It is believed that he was 84 when he was hanged from an olive tree outside of Thebes. There is an olive tree there to this day that is believed to be the same tree that he was hanged from.

His feast days (in EO) are celebrated on October 18; on April 22 with Apostles Nathaniel and Clement; on June 20 on which day his relics, among others, were translated to the Church of the Holy Apostles in Constantinople; and on January 4, the synaxis of the Seventy.
Hello Photini,

I am curious. What does the synaxis of the Seventy have to do with Luke?

Yarddog

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Yarddog

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Jun 25, 2008
Louisville, Ky
✟820,856.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
No. The Seventy were in addition to the Twelve.
Yes, I understand that. I was curious, I'll take your explanation.

By the way, Julius Africanus, late 2nd cent., said that Luke died in Bithynia. Any thoughts?

Yarddog

Upvote 0

Photini

Gone.
Jun 24, 2003
✟18,808.00
Faith
Seeker
Marital Status
Married
Yes, I understand that. I was curious, I'll take your explanation.

By the way, Julius Africanus, late 2nd cent., said that Luke died in Bithynia. Any thoughts?

Yarddog

I'm not entirely sure. I know there are at least a couple of varying stories. The story of him being hanged in an olive tree is the one I've heard most often. Was it Jerome that said he was then buried in Constantinople after his death? I heard that recently DNA testing was done on his relics. IIRC, the EO have the Saint's skull (kept on Mount Athos), and the RC has the rest of his holy body. Do you know if they confirmed that the two fit together?

Upvote 0

LittleLambofJesus

Site Supporter
May 19, 2015
GOD's country of Texas
Visit site
✟1,237,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Libertarian
I'm not entirely sure. I know there are at least a couple of varying stories.
So why pay any attention to them :confused:

1Timothy 1:4 Neither to be heeding to fables/myths and endless genealogies, interminable which any exactions are affording, rather than home-lawing of God in the Faith.

2 Timothy 4:4 And from indeed the Truth the hearing of them they shall be turning away, upon yet the fables/myths shall be being turned aside to.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.