Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
I'm about 3 1/2 years old now, and I've gone through a lot of very gradual changes. I started out zealous with a keen interest in Scripture and Church teachings, yet I was somewhat isolated from the community and made the mistake of being too aggressive and uncharitable. Time passed, and I realized that more and more my Bible and Catechism were just collecting dust, and my attitude was degrading more and more into an ill state. But lately, I've been participating in the Renewal: Why Catholic? program in my parish, and it's been really helpful for me. Not only have I picked my Bible and catechism back up, but I've begun connecting and sharing intimately with parishioners I've known for years, and it's been a real blessing for me. I'm finally starting to feel like I'm getting on the right track again, as far as my faith goes.
I think there are a lot of ups & downs through the journey. I think the key is just doing even when your not feeling it. The whole faith thing making you do so. I'm really glad your feeling like your getting more on track with things. :)

Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
... I'll see if I can find the one published in the Scroll in a bit.

My name is _____ ______ & I'm a convert to Catholic Church. I officially came into the Church October 9th. 2004. If anyone would had told me that one day I would see the truth & fullness of faith present in the Catholic Church, I would had thought they were out of their mind. But the Lord has a way of writing straight with some very crooked lines. Which would describe me perfectly I think.

How it happened exactly, I'm not sure. I have always been somewhat of a lone ranger Christian. I knew of God in my childhood through certain circumstances but I never had a particularly solid upbringing in any particular Church.

I said the sinners prayer alone in my bedroom when I was 14. I started attending a Foursquare Church by myself & read the Bible constantly trying to learn more about the Lord & how to conduct myself as a Christian & develop a deeper relationship with Jesus Christ.

I would like to make clear before I go further- I am grateful to the background I have with our protestant brothers & sisters in Christ. They instilled the importance of daily Bible reading & set me on my path when I needed them.

But I was growing more & more disillusioned as time went on. There never seemed to be a general consensus on anything when it came to the Churches I attended.

Some had one belief towards salvation & then others had another. Of course when it came to Jesus being Lord & Savior, we all agreed. It was issues in Scripture as to what particular verses meant. Taking things out of context without really considering what that does to the overall meaning of the unfolding story of Scripture. Just many little things which led to some big issues for me.

I would stop going to Church all together for awhile. Then find another Church eventually & start attending.

Then there were the times of backsliding & not living out my Christianity as I should but I always had God tugging me back in my heart & mind. God never gave up on me regardless of my carelessness in certain unhappy periods of my life. I was just very unsettled spiritually for reasons I really could not pin down. Even when I went running back to church.

Now I can see that everyone was basically being their own Pope in these churches. We were without a shepherd here on earth & not really united in the finer points of our beliefs as protestant Christians. It was always said we have the Holy Spirit to guide & instruct us which I believe to be true, but Jesus made it clear that we also needed a shepherd to guide us here on earth.

That brought to mind John 21:15-19 where Jesus asked Peter three times if he loved him. After Peter replied three times that he did love Jesus, The Lord replied three times to Peter with- Feed My lambs,' 'Feed my sheep.'

Those verses also brought to mind Matthew 16:13-20 where Peter's declaration of faith in who Jesus was & Jesus replied 'Upon this rock I will build my Church.'

My thoughts would also often go to John 6 where Jesus describes Himself as the Bread of Life & many of His disciples deserted Him. That always left a big question mark in my mind. Why would they desert Him if He did not mean it in the literal sense? Would Jesus let them walk away & not clarify His meaning when He said this?

These questions among many others just started to bother me more than I cared to admit to myself.

So, moving along a bit... I felt myself becoming very curious about the claims of the Catholic Church. As a lot of protestant Christians, I had read & heard a lot about the Church but most of the things I heard were not true. But it did instill a fear in me that made conversion quite a huge leap for me.

I never felt like the Church was not Christian but I did feel that I had to object on theological grounds as I understood things at the time. As if in some way the Catholic Church would stand between Jesus & myself.

My husband knew of these objections even though he had been raised Catholic. But I started to feel like I was basically being literally haunted by thoughts of the Catholic Church. I found myself cruising the Catholic bookstore & Library trying to understand what it was the Church truly did believe.

I started doing this on the sly because of the previous objections I made concerning the Church. I didn't want anyone to know because I was sure it would lead to nothing.

I fought it for so long that two years before I actually set foot in this RCIA class I had stopped by the Parish office & picked up the papers for those that were interested in learning about the Catholic faith.

I read the material and had a deep longing to proceed with RCIA but as I said, regardless of studying on my own, I still had some deep seated fears & reservations about some of the worship traditions & beliefs I had heard Catholics practiced. Although I felt the Lord was directing me to the Catholic faith, I still did not understand why. And I sometimes doubted.

Why would He direct to a place I feared & seemed so complicated? I knew my Bible fairly well, I had been to different denominations of Chuches, but I still felt like God was leading me elsewhere. Why did I need more? Why did He want me to look into the Catholic Church & put me in this very uncomfortable position?

So I returned the papers to the Parish office & tried to forget about it. But the Lord had different plans. I couldn't forget about it. There was that void that needed to be filled & that is a difficult feeling to ignore.

Constant reminders, not only awake but asleep. I was getting where I was actually dreaming about communion. Quite frankly, I was getting a little frightened by it.

Continued below...

Reactions: tadoflamb
Upvote 0

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,654,449.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Heres the last part-

So during this two year waiting period, I was reading up on Church beliefs & traditions.

I was comparing Catholic apologetics with Scripture, watching EWTN, reading books on the Saints & basically sweating it out. Everything I was reading was making sense and the pull towards the Catholic Church was getting stronger.

Not only did I feel it was going to be embarrassing & complicated with my mistakes in the past, such as a painful past marriage, my discussions full of objections I previously had with my husband & inlaws concerning the Church but actually letting go & following God to what I considered a very scary place.

I did not only have my fear to contend with because of misinformation about the Catholic Church but but also a lesson in humility & a matter of pride on my part. Eventually, I'd have to come clean & go to those I had these discussions with about what I felt was wrong concerning the Catholic faith. I would have to face the past & the mistakes in my life. I'd have to admit I was wrong.

Finally, I heard something inside of me say I had put things off long enough. It was time to call the priest, who turned out to be Fr. _______ ________. It was on a Tuesday in Febuary in 2004, the day before Ash Wednesday.

I was still scared & tried to fire off questions as fast as I could about the Catholic faith, trying to find something I could disagree with, which would save me from future explainations & apologies I would have to endure if I continued down this path.

But there was nothing I could disagree with. He was very patient, kind, & informative. So I decided to go to the Ash Wednesday Mass the next day. I was terrified and sat at the back of the Church. I fumbled through everything and was silently scolding myself for not being a bit smoother. After the Masses I watched on TV & the reading I done I was expecting to be a bit smoother. I quickly learned that watching & doing are two very different things.

I was actually kneeling on the floor at one point when a lady next to me saw that my chin was nearly hitting the pew in front of me she showed me the kneeler. My knees thanked her!

I was quickly starting to see this was becoming a lesson in humility in more ways than one & I silently prayed that the Lord would let me know if I was in the right place & this was not something I created in my own mind.

Then there was the Hymn.

It spoke to me so deeply that I will never forget it. I feel like this one hymn sung on that first Ash Wednesday was something I was supposed to hear and reassure me. And it certainly did.

I knew after I heard the words that I was finally home. The title of the hymn is 'Hosea' and the words are as follows:

Quote:
"Come back to me with all your heart.
Don't let fear keep us apart.
Long have I waited for you coming home to me and living deeply our new life."

That pretty much sealed the deal for me.

It is still my favorite Catholic hymn for sentimental reasons.

After Mass I met Fr. _________ face to face & he told me that there was an RCIA class the following day.

I went & continued until my entry into the Church.

Finally, that Ash Wednesday I confessed to my husband everything I had been doing & considering about the Church much to his suprise. The news traveled. During my time in RCIA I experienced a spiritual type of growing pains... Temptations, doubts & discouragment because of my own impatience. Some not so favorable reactions of
others when I told them of my desire to enter the Catholic Church.

But God gives you constant reassurance & conformation for the journey through RCIA. And after you enter the Church you will find your reassurance through the sacraments.

You have probably already learned in RCIA that Catholicism offers a full picture if you use everything it has to offer. It is full of details, sights, sounds, taste, smell, feeding the body as well as the spirit.

Take advantage of the gifts God gives you through the Catholic Church. Look at the stained glass windows, concentrate on all the signs & symbols around you. Use what the Church has to offer you because it is to your benefit. Learn the Mass & remember that it is reaching back through time to present for you what Jesus did for us on the cross so we could be here to participate in all the Church has to offer to guide us on our road to eternity.

From the lit candle here at RCIA that represents the light of Christ. The triple sign of the cross we make over our forehead, lips & heart which reminds us that out intellect must be attentive to the Word of God, our lips ready to announce His truths, and our hearts filled with love towards Him & the real presence in the Eucharist.

I consider it a great grace from God to be where you are at right now, here in RCIA.

While I believe the Catholic Church is the true church, I don't believe for a moment that it is a perfect church in that its members are perfect.

Being a Catholic is not always easy for anyone.
You will have your highs & lows.
The honeymoon period after entering the Church.
Valleys & mistakes.
Even after entering the Church, I do not consider myself done.
Never stop learning, never stop reading.
Use your Bible.
Use your catechism.
Talk to your priest.
Continue to grow in your faith & learn to express it.
Remember, it's constant learning & growth.

For someone like me that obviously needs the structure & discipline the Catholic Church offers it has been something I realized I was lacking previously.

It can be frustrating at times for someone like me.
But coming to acknowledge the claims of the Catholic Church should not made me proud: it has brought me low, because I had to acknowledge a great deal of stubborness on my part.

That is part of the journey I suppose & it is not always a happy occasion to acknowledge one's stubborness. But there is an underlying peace that I have even in not so happy times now.

So be prepared for those growing pains & take advantage of what the Church offers during those tough times.

It is well worth it & it's for your good.

I look foward to the day when you all join us at the Lord's table. Until then, enjoy this part of your journey, thank God for the graces He has given you.

Know your faith & treasure it.

Because it truly is a great treasure given to us from God.

Thank you.

Upvote 0

Pml

Oct 17, 2008
Oshkosh, WI, USA
✟15,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Well, I went to a different church this past weekend....a totally new one.
It had consolidated. There were four separate churches at one time and now they were supposed to be one church having masses at four different locations.

I stepped in for confession--- which was uplifting---

then on to the mass. The deacon gave the homily and was trying to get across the two commandments....love God and love your neighbor. When he was giving examples of love your neighbor he was talking about the four different parishes who were not about to love their neighbor.

It was obvious in the peace time as well. The lady next to me just looked at me like I was from Mars. I smiled and felt like a stupid idiot with my hand out. You see, this woman did not know me and thought that I was from one of the other parishes. Little did she know that I was from eighty miles away! Okay already.

On this other forum, they were talking about the proposal to "allow" woman to become lectors. This came out of the very, very beautiful synod on the Word. The forum wasn't talking about how beautiful the synod was or the great closeness the RC church had been to the Orthodox Church for the 1st time in over 1,000 years! They were more interested in derailing the whole synod with this petty social stuff that divides, divides, divides. This gender issue is a ripper if there ever could be an issue.

People, do you realize that tonight on TV scientists have shortened the climate change date TO 2050?!?!? Instead of 100 years in the future , it is NOW less than 41 years away?!?!? The polar caps will have melted. Do you realize that Israel and Iran were THAT close to annihilating each other this spring and drawing the rest of the world into great grief?!?! Do you realize that America is installing Star Wars all over the world.....this eventually will be nuclear warheads orbiting the earth. Already the first phases are being installed....first Japan, Sept 21 they put it in Israel, now Poland....they are trying to get the Czech Republic gov to accept the first phase. Do you realize that there is a fanatical religion out there growing in number after number that preaches it is saintly to kill American and Israeli people and die doing it!?!?!? This religion will soon have nuclear weapons. Do you realized that Russia is arming Venezuela with missiles that can fly the needed 4,500 miles to the USA?!?!? Russia just tested a weapon that they sold to Chaves that went from the Arctic over the equator and landed down in the southern hemisphere's Pacific Ocean. It went 7,200 miles!

What we Christians need to do is get together! This is the ONLY thing that will save our world from total destruction! We really do not have a minute to lose. The faster we can mend our divisions, the faster we can combat this EXTREME threat that will end the world as we know it.

We better shake hands with one another. We better go to confession.
We better pray and invoke God. We better try to win as many souls as we possibly can. We need to show the world who God is and what He stands for. Christendom CAN turn things around....but we have to stop with this petty crap and start concentrating on what truly is important.

Upvote 0

Pml

Oct 17, 2008
Oshkosh, WI, USA
✟15,138.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
One of those things is respect for life. I'm not going to get into all that voting stuff. But respecting life doesn't mean forgetting about over turning Roe vs. Wade because it's too hard and almost impossible to do,,,,and then settling for a mere reduction in abortion.

When a person says that they are anti-abortion.....this is NOT the same thing as making sure health care is adequate enough so there is an decrease in abortion.
Do not be fooled by this tactic. (It is Satan at his best.)
Anti...means = NO KILLING, period. Anti does NOT mean a mere reduction in the killing.
Respecting life is the same as Anti-abortion. Respecting life means obeying the Thou shalt not kill commandment.

How can Christians KILL and vote for KILLING and then expect the fanatical religion which preaches killing to respect Christianity?

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.