The Gospel (moved from Philosophy)

anonymouswho

Jul 28, 2015
✟16,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
That's where I thought you were going----this is not about Adam and Eve, or the snake--- it's about there is no free will and we are all robots just doing what the big bad dude in the sky wants us to do---- little marionettes with Him pulling all the strings---:sigh::swoon:Really??

No my friend, we are not puppets. The Scriptures say nothing about puppets. We are pottery:

"What shall we say then? Is there unrighteousness with God? God forbid.
For he saith to Moses, I will have mercy on whom I will have mercy, and I will have compassion on whom I will have compassion.
So then it is NOT of him that willeth, nor of him that runneth, but of God that sheweth mercy.
For the scripture saith unto Pharaoh, Even for this same purpose have I raised thee up, that I might shew my power in thee, and that my name might be declared throughout all the earth.
Therefore hath he mercy on whom he will have mercy, and whom he will he hardeneth.
Thou wilt say then unto me, Why doth he yet find fault? For who hath resisted his will?
Nay but, O man, who art thou that repliest against God? Shall the thing formed say to him that formed it, Why hast thou made me thus?
Hath not the potter power over the clay, of the same lump to make one vessel unto honour, and another unto dishonour?
[What](What is not in the original Greek; this is a statement, not a hypothetical question) IF God, willing to shew his wrath, and to make his power known, endured with much longsuffering the vessels of wrath fitted to destruction:
And that he might make known the riches of his glory on the vessels of mercy, which he had afore prepared unto glory" Romans 9:14

This is a very long passage, but Paul is trying to tell us something very important.

Does anything contradict this? Is there one place in all 66 books of Scripture that tell us we have a "free" will? Or do the Scriptures not say:

"Man's goings are of the LORD; how can a man then understand his own way?" Proverbs 20:24

"The LORD hath made all things for himself: yea, even the wicked for the day of evil." Proverbs 16:4

"A man's heart deviseth his way: but the LORD directeth his steps." Proverbs 16:9

Thank you and God bless you.

Reactions: 2KnowHim
Upvote 0

Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Hello everyone. I am new here, so I'm not really sure if this is the appropriate place to post or not.

I would like to discuss the Gospel that has been revealed to us through the Scriptures. I believe that God will Reconcile all things back to himself, and teach all men Righteousness.

First, I would like to provide this verse and discuss exactly what Paul is telling us:

"Wherein he hath abounded toward us in all wisdom and prudence;
Having made known unto us the mystery of his will, according to his good pleasure which he hath purposed in himself:
That in the dispensation of the fulness of times he might gather together in one ALL things in Christ, both which are in heaven, and which are on earth; even in him:
In whom also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestinated according to the purpose of him who worketh all things after the counsel of his own will:
That we should be to the praise of his glory, who first trusted in Christ." Ephesians 1:8

I look forward to meeting you all. I hope we can have a fun and respectful conversation. Thank you and God bless you.

Paul's letters are not the base to know more about the Gospel. In fact, he was not aware the great essence of the preaching of Jesus as a rank outsider! The published book "Did Saint Paul Deviate From The Gospel?" may be helpful for this topic.

Upvote 0

anonymouswho

Jul 28, 2015
✟16,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul's letters are not the base to know more about the Gospel. In fact, he was not aware the great essence of the preaching of Jesus as a rank outsider! The published book "Did Saint Paul Deviate From The Gospel?" may be helpful for this topic.

Thank you for the suggestion my friend. I've read far enough about Paul being a heretic, a false apostle, and the antichrist. Remember what Peter tells us:

"And account that the longsuffering of our Lord is salvation; even as our beloved brother Paul also according to the wisdom given unto him hath written unto you;
As also in all his epistles, speaking in them of these things; in which are some things hard to be understood, which they that are unlearned and unstable wrest, as they do also the other scriptures, unto their own destruction.
Ye therefore, beloved, seeing ye know these things before, beware lest ye also, being led away with the error of the wicked, fall from your own stedfastness.
But grow in grace, and in the knowledge of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ. To him be glory both now and for ever. Amen." 2 Peter 3:15

I assure you my friend, Paul had the Spirit of God dwelling within him. If we believe the Scriptures, this is very apparent. And by Scriptures, I mean the Hebrew Scriptures that Paul tells us:

"All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness:
That the man of God may be perfect, throughly furnished unto all good works." 2 Timothy 3:16

Paul knew the Scriptures better than we could ever dream of. He spent his entire life studying them:

"Though I might also have confidence in the flesh. If any other man thinketh that he hath whereof he might trust in the flesh, I more:
Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, of the tribe of Benjamin, an Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a PHARISEE;
Concerning zeal (ζῆλος zelos: jealousy), persecuting the church; touching (κατὰ kata: according to) the righteousness which is in the law, blameless." Philippians 2:4

Do you dislike Paul because he boasts? Pay close attention to the boasts he makes. He first tells you he is a Hebrew, of the tribe of Benjamin, and a Pharisee, which were the teachers of the Law. This is very important information to know about Paul.

Now notice the second half of his "boast". He was jealous of the church (because he was a Hebrew of Hebrews), so he persecuted them. But according to the Law, the ones he persecuted were blameless.

I don't know, this is a problem I had with Paul. But I know that he indeed was a very humble man that taught the true Gospel:

"And I thank Christ Jesus our Lord, who hath enabled me, for that he counted me faithful, putting me into the ministry;
Who was before a blasphemer, and a persecutor, and injurious: but I obtained mercy, because I did it ignorantly in unbelief.
And the grace of our Lord was exceeding abundant with faith and love which is in Christ Jesus.
This is a faithful saying, and worthy of all acceptation, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners; of whom I am chief." 1 Timothy 1:12

Please, tell me where Paul deviates from the Gospel, and let's see if we can figure this out together. Thank you very much for your reply, and God bless you my friend.

Upvote 0

2KnowHim

Dying to Live
Feb 18, 2007
✟9,953.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul speaks out of The Revelation of Christ, that's why most don't understand him. He never deviates from the Gospel he adds to it given to him from on high, by The Holy Spirit.
Gal 1:11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
Gal 1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

He even tells the Corinth church....
1Co 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
1Co 3:2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
1Co 3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
1Co 3:4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?

Blessings

Reactions: anonymouswho
Upvote 0

jugghead

Growing
May 25, 2015
Smyrna, TN
✟24,188.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Single
Purpose ... purpose ... purpose ... if we as seekers of the truth cannot find the purpose for the existence of something, we miss the mark

all things physical exist for the purpose of understanding all things spiritual .... first comes the natural then the spiritual ... if we do not find the purpose of something in the physical ... there is no way we can ever find the purpose of something in the spiritual

just as an example of a car (as a whole, not separate components because each separate component has a purpose of its own) a cars purpose is to transport us from one place to another .... it is: a means of getting from one place to another ... that is who Christ is to us ... the means to get from the corruptible to the incorruptible ... a means to go from works to rest ... from the wilderness into the promised land, etc.

Our own legs (again as a whole) are the same truth as a car ... a means to get from one place to another and the word used to describe the work done by the legs is "walk" ... so I ask ... is it Christ in us that is doing the walking (doing the work) or is it of ourselves? If we say of ourselves ... then it is our work, not the work of Christ in us.

All ... and I mean ALL physical things contain that which is hidden ... spiritual meaning which leads to spiritual purpose ... and if we miss it ... again ... we miss the mark

What is the purpose of sin (which means to miss the mark at its basic understanding), the purpose of sin is to know we have missed the mark when the truth hits the mark in us

Christ "IN US" is the one who hits the mark every time ... but also ... He is our ability to aim

The mark that Adam and Eve missed is that they only saw the tree as something good for themselves (something to be gained)... not for the purpose of knowing who God is (something that is given).

Thus the reason why God did not stop them from eating

Upvote 0

anonymouswho

Jul 28, 2015
✟16,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul speaks out of The Revelation of Christ, that's why most don't understand him. He never deviates from the Gospel he adds to it given to him from on high, by The Holy Spirit.
Gal 1:11 But I certify you, brethren, that the gospel which was preached of me is not after man.
Gal 1:12 For I neither received it of man, neither was I taught it, but by the revelation of Jesus Christ.

He even tells the Corinth church....
1Co 3:1 And I, brethren, could not speak unto you as unto spiritual, but as unto carnal, even as unto babes in Christ.
1Co 3:2 I have fed you with milk, and not with meat: for hitherto ye were not able to bear it, neither yet now are ye able.
1Co 3:3 For ye are yet carnal: for whereas there is among you envying, and strife, and divisions, are ye not carnal, and walk as men?
1Co 3:4 For while one saith, I am of Paul; and another, I am of Apollos; are ye not carnal?

Blessings

You know what really kept bringing me back to Paul? John tells us that God IS Love, so I have always considered this the most beautiful and precise description of our Father that has ever been written:

"Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, and have not LOVE, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal.
And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries, and all knowledge; and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not LOVE, I am nothing.
And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned, and have not LOVE, it profiteth me nothing.
LOVE suffereth long, and is kind; LOVE envieth not; LOVE vaunteth not itself, is not puffed up,
Doth not behave itself unseemly, seeketh not her own, is not easily provoked, thinketh no evil;
Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth in the truth
;
Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.
LOVE NEVER FAILETH: but whether there be prophecies, they shall fail; whether there be tongues, they shall cease; whether there be knowledge, it shall vanish away.
For we know in part, and we prophesy in part.
But when that which is perfect is come, then that which is in part shall be done away.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.
For now we see through a glass, darkly; but then face to face: now I know in part; but then shall I know even as also I am known.
And now abideth faith, hope, LOVE, these three; but the greatest of these is LOVE." 1 Corinthians 13:1

Paul wrote that. That is a man that understands Love, and a man that knows the Only True God. And based on what Yeshua revealed to us about our Father, Paul definitely knew our Lord and Savior.

Thanks 2KnowHim, it is always good to stick up for our brothers, even if they lived a couple thousand years ago. God bless you Sister.

Upvote 0

anonymouswho

Jul 28, 2015
✟16,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Purpose ... purpose ... purpose ... if we as seekers of the truth cannot find the purpose for the existence of something, we miss the mark

all things physical exist for the purpose of understanding all things spiritual .... first comes the natural then the spiritual ... if we do not find the purpose of something in the physical ... there is no way we can ever find the purpose of something in the spiritual

just as an example of a car (as a whole, not separate components because each separate component has a purpose of its own) a cars purpose is to transport us from one place to another .... it is: a means of getting from one place to another ... that is who Christ is to us ... the means to get from the corruptible to the incorruptible ... a means to go from works to rest ... from the wilderness into the promised land, etc.

Our own legs (again as a whole) are the same truth as a car ... a means to get from one place to another and the word used to describe the work done by the legs is "walk" ... so I ask ... is it Christ in us that is doing the walking (doing the work) or is it of ourselves? If we say of ourselves ... then it is our work, not the work of Christ in us.

All ... and I mean ALL physical things contain that which is hidden ... spiritual meaning which leads to spiritual purpose ... and if we miss it ... again ... we miss the mark

What is the purpose of sin (which means to miss the mark at its basic understanding), the purpose of sin is to know we have missed the mark when the truth hits the mark in us

Christ "IN US" is the one who hits the mark every time ... but also ... He is our ability to aim

The mark that Adam and Eve missed is that they only saw the tree as something good for themselves (something to be gained)... not for the purpose of knowing who God is (something that is given).

Absolutely my Brother. I have to go to bed right now, but when I get back on I will respond to this further. Thank you my friend and God bless you.

Upvote 0

Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Thank you for the suggestion my friend. I've read far enough about Paul being a heretic, a false apostle, and the antichrist. Remember what Peter tells us:

Peter calls him brother and indicated he wrote according to his wisdom, that is all. His apostleship was self-proclamation!

Please, tell me where Paul deviates from the Gospel, and let's see if we can figure this out together. Thank you very much for your reply, and God bless you my friend.

1. Views of a truth seeker

Here are keen and relevant observations of a truth seeker:

“I entered Southern Seminary thinking that this issue would very soon find a resolution. It did not. It only became more intense and prominent as the seminary years progressed. The hard commandments of the Sermon on the Mount increasingly seemed tailor made to my central interests in the violence of Christendom that was World War II. But to my dismay, the Seminary faculty did nothing to relieve my growing concern. A typical response was to assure me that no one could keep those commandments. "They are only meant to convict us of sin so that we will trust in the blood of Jesus for forgiveness." I could never match those assurances with anything from the utterances of Jesus but found them contradicted on every hand.

Martin Luther, inspired by Paul, concluded that the Epistle of James was "an epistle of straw." I, inspired by Jesus and James, have finally concluded that Paul was anapostle of straw. I still acknowledge Paul's great zeal for Christ, but it was zeal for a Christ misunderstood. Paul's suffering for Christ bespeaks his great love for him, but it was love for a Christ misconceived. His preaching of Christ was among the most effective the world has ever seen, but it was of a Christ mis-preached. What follows is an effort to present Paul as I have come to know him, minus his halo but yet clothed with a kind of respect that seems at times contradictory, even to me. Seeing Paul, as he really is – warts and all – does not detract from my admiration of the work he performed.

It is very unlikely that any of the early disciples thought of their own writings as scripture, with the possible exception of Paul [The author doubts even this]. I will explain this possible exception below. And would Peter have been one who characterized Paul's letters as scripture? Hardly! (This assumes that Peter authored the Petrine epistles, which many doubt. I have no problem with Peter's authorship, provided we allow for redactions such as this.)Could Paul have seen himself as filling the vacancy? No, for he would surely have made that his claim. The fact is that the remaining eleven were instrumental in the selection of Matthias to fill this vacancy as even Luke informs us in The Acts, and had Paul seen himself as being Judas' replacement, Luke would certainly have seen him as such. I believe, nevertheless, that Paul was Judas's successor – as traitor! Judas betrayed him in his flesh; Paul betrayed him in his spirit.

I see him as one who was, at a certain level, a man of great integrity who could persuade and deceive others only because he had first persuaded himself, which contributed to the effectiveness of his ministry. He preached in all sincerity what he really believed. Furthermore, a portion of his doctrine is wonderfully and gloriously true, which renders it all the more deceptive as even Paul could have understood from the standpoint of one who could accuse other "apostles" of disguising themselves as "servants of righteousness” (II Corinthians 11:15).

Now I, Paul, say to you that if you receive circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you. I testify again to every man who receives circumcision that he is bound to keep the whole law. You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace (Galatians 5:2-4).

This is his unequivocal assertion of one of his most basic convictions. But look at what he did:

And he came to Derbe and to Lystra. A disciple was there, named Timothy, the son of a Jewish woman who was a believer; but his father was a Greek. He was well spoken of by the brethren at Lystra and Iconium. Paul wanted Timothy to accompany him; and he took him and circumcised him because of the Jews that were in those places, for they all knew that his father was a Greek (Acts 16:1-3).

If this isn't inconsistency and compromise, I would not know how to define these things. Of course, one could defend Paul here by saying that the Galatian letter was written long after he had Timothy circumcised, and his views matured during the interval. Let us then say that is the case, and look at the implication: His views changed from one thing to another during the period when he was preaching his gospel throughout the world. The Truth, however, did not change during that period, for that is unchanging. He therefore could not have been preaching the Truth during this period of changing views, yet he claimed to be preaching the same gospel from beginning to end. This leaves us with no basis for believing that he ever preached the True Gospel!

Did he really see a bright light? And did he really hear a voice? I believe he did, although it is questionable that others saw or heard them. The contradictions in the accounts of his revelation are sufficient to cause us to question his objectivity at the moment and his veracity afterwards. In his defence before the Jerusalem crowd as Luke related in Acts 22:9 he said, “Now those who were with me saw the light but did not hear the voice of the one who was speaking to me.”

But then Luke described Paul's experience in Chapter 9 thusly: The men who were traveling with him stood speechless, hearing the voice but seeing no one. (Acts 9:7)

Paul claimed that the gospel which was preached by him is not man's gospel, for he said, “I did not receive it from man nor was I taught it, but it came through a revelation of Jesus Christ.”

Are we to believe that Jesus communicated directly to Paul the doctrine of his return to earth in Paul's lifetime? He said above, “. . . this I declare unto you by the word of the Lord.” If so, Jesus was also mistaken. But in this case, Jesus can no more be identified with Truth.

I much prefer some other option, such as that Paul was the one mistaken; that he had visions during which he believed he was communicating with Jesus, when he actually was not. He therefore received his gospel, not from Jesus, but from whatever source it was that communicated with him during his visions. This is not the place to expand on the significance of this. Here it is only necessary to demonstrate that Paul could be in error in a case in which we can be certain he erred, for this alone is sufficient to justify our questioning everything he taught about Jesus Christ.

So, Paul's doctrine of Jesus' soon coming was clearly erroneous, being falsified by two thousand years of history Paul quotes at times without any regard to the context in which the passage is found in the Old Testament.

Justification by Faith

Justification by faith only and apart from works of the law can be said to be a major theme of Paul's gospel. Indeed, I suppose this could be said to be his gospel, his good news, in a nutshell. After stating his case in Romans 3, he goes on in Chapter 4 to call forth the example of Abraham to cement his case. A similar argument is also presented in the Galatian letter. Focusing on the statement in Genesis 15:6, "Abraham believed God and it was reckoned to him as righteousness" (or justification), Paul proceeds to set forth the idea that this justification came to Abraham before he was circumcised, and therefore is independent of circumcision so that the uncircumcised Gentiles are as qualified to receive it as are the Jews. Then, secondly, that it is independent of the law or of works of the law. Abraham believed God and had faith in his promise, even in the knowledge of the barrenness of Sarah's womb and his own advanced age. As Paul explained,

No distrust made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised. That is why his faith was "reckoned to him as righteousness" (Rom. 4:20-22).

So it is on this basis that Paul seeks to establish Abraham as the prime example of justification by faith only, and not by works.

This, however, is not the entire story. If we examine the wider contest of Genesis, we must conclude that Abraham’s blessing came through both faith and works of law, and especially through the latter. God spoke to Abraham and said,

I will indeed bless you, and I will multiply your descendants as the stars of heaven and as the sand which is on the seashore. And your descendants shall possess the gate of their enemies, and by your descendants shall all the nations of the earth bless themselves, because you have obeyed my voice (Genesis 22:17, 18).

No mention here of faith, only that Abraham obeyed the voice of the Lord – a work of obedience to law! Then, later, when God extended the same blessing to Isaac, it was because Abraham had . . . obeyed my voice and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws. (Genesis 26:5).

So that when Paul wrote, The promise to Abraham and his descendants, that they should inherit the world, did not come through the law but through the righteousness of faith (Romans 4:13), he chose to ignore the full explanation of the Genesis text. To cap it all off, nowhere in Genesis can I find that God promised Abraham that his descendants would inherit the world! He only promised them the Land of Canaan (Genesis 17:8).

The Epistle of James may have been written for the purpose, in part, of countering this “faith only” doctrine of Paul. James also appeals to Abraham, specifically to the offering of Isaac as sacrifice, and concludes, “Do you want to be shown, you foolish fellow, that faith apart from works is barren? Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he offered his son Isaac upon the altar? You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works, and the scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness;” and he was called the friend of God. You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone. (James 2:20-24)

He advances a collection of six quotations from various contexts of the Old Testament to put this point, the universality of human sinfulness and depravity, to rest once for all. Let us list them all for closer examination, after which I will comment on each one briefly:

1. Romans :( 3:10-12) None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands, no one seeks for God. All have turned aside, together they have gone wrong; no one does good, not even one (Psalm 14:1-3).

2. (3:13a) Their throat is an open grave, they use their tongues to deceive (Psalm 5:9).

3. (3:13b) The venom of asps is under their lips (Psalm 140:3).

4. (3:14) Their mouth is full of curses and bitterness (Psalm 10:7).

5. (3:15-17) Their feet are swift to shed blood, in their paths are ruin and misery, and the way of peace they do not know (Isaiah 59:7, 8).

2. (3:18) There is no fear of God before their eyes (Psalm 36:1).

Psalm 14:1-3 appears on first reading to say exactly what Paul wishes it to say. But if we read the balance of the psalm, it becomes evident that the psalmist did not intend what Paul asserted, for in v. 4 we have the evildoers set apart from my people with a clear distinction made between them. Then in v. 5, these evildoers will be in great terror, for God will be with the generation of the righteous, who are then identified with the poor, but the Lord is his refuge. The Psalm closes with v. 7:

O, that deliverance for Israel would come out of Zion! When the Lord restores the fortunes of his people, Jacob shall rejoice, Israel shall be glad.

Clearly, the Psalmist allows for two categories of human beings, the evildoers and the generation of the righteous, who are identified with Israel in the last verse. The "no, not one" must then refer only to the evildoers who eat up my people as they eat bread, and do not call upon the Lord, presumably Gentiles in contrast to Jacob and Israel. Paul, who seeks by this to prove his point, that all are under condemnation of sin without exception, has not properly regarded the context and has as a result drawn something out of it contrary to the intent of the Psalmist. He has tampered with God's word.

There is no denying it. Paul has here used the Word deceptively. He has tampered with it to make it appear that his position is supported thereby. Not only is this premise not supported by the passages quoted as its support, but neither is it true to the thought of the Old Testament, as Holmes Rolston would have us believe. The thought of the Old Testament, beginning with Cain and Abel, consistently allows for two categories of human beings, the wicked and the righteous, in the manner I have demonstrated above. If Paul's premise is true, it cannot be established by reference to the Law, the Prophets, or the Psalms. Now we know why his opponents charged him with tampering with the Word of God, and why he was compelled to issue denials in his defense.

It is not surprising to see Paul applying this prophecy to the coming of the Christ (Messiah) in the work of Jesus. This is a common application, but he interprets the word for faithfulness as faith, applying it to the conviction of the truth of the redemptive work of Christ, which is not justified when its context is considered. The Septuagint similarly errs in using the Greek,pistis, to translate the Hebrew word, for this does mean faith, as Paul understood it. Since Paul was using the Septuagint, this may explain how he came to misunderstand the word in its context. And he made it the cornerstone of his gospel so it looks suspiciously like he has again been found tampering with God's Word. This is only one more of the numerous incidents where it can be shown that Paul used the Word deceptively.

The Curse

Another prominent feature of his gospel, related to the above postulate that all men are wicked without exception, is the idea of the curse of the law. Writing to the Galatian churches Paul asserted:

For all who rely on the works of the law are under a curse, for it is written, "Cursed be everyone who does not abide by all things written in the book of the law, and do them" (Deuteronomy 27:26, Galatians 3:10).

Then he goes on to say:

Christ has redeemed us from the curse of the law, having become a curse for us – for it is written, "Cursed be everyone who hangs on a tree" (Deuteronomy 21:23) – that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come upon the Gentiles, that we might receive the promise of the Spirit through faith (Galatians 3:13-14).

But when we turn to examine the passage cited from Deuteronomy 27:26, we find a much different thought – indeed, a thought that is the opposite of what Paul is attempting to demonstrate. Rather than being under a curse by relying on the works of the law, Moses is establishing only that the curse comes from not doing the words of the law:

Cursed be he who does not confirm the words of this law by doing them (Deuteronomy 26:27).

In fact, Deuteronomy 28:1 pronounces a blessing on all who are careful to do all the commandments of the law. The emphasis on the blessing is clear, for it is extended to cover everyone in all circumstances:

Blessed shall you be in the city and blessed shall you be in the field. Blessed shall be the fruit of your body and the fruit of your ground and the fruit of your beasts, the increase of your cattle, and the young of your flock. Blessed shall be your basket and your kneading-trough. Blessed shall you be when you come in, and blessed shall you be when you go out.

And on and on goes the text, defining the blessing on those who keep the law, who live by it and do it. It is only those who do not obey the voice of the Lord on whom the curses fall (Deuteronomy. 28:15f). In this text, the law is not a curse within itself, nor are all that rely on the works of the law under a curse. Rather, those who obey it are under a manifold blessing!

Paul tampered with God's word? How can this be, seeing that whatever Paul wrote was and is God's word! Did he not himself make the claim that his words were really God's (or “the Lord’s, I Thessalonians 2:13, I Corinthians 14:37)? Regarding those sharing this point of view, I can honestly say that my conscience is free. I have done my best to strip you of the church-applied shackles that bind your heart and soul, but if you persist in keeping your head immersed in the sand of Paul's baseless theological speculations, what more can I do?

I can do a great deal more. For one thing, I can provide additional support by demonstrating that Paul was capable of errors in logic. If his inspiration truly came from the Holy Spirit, if he wrote the Word of God in recording his epistles, he surely would not have written or said anything stupid – would he?

[I would like to copy and paste more information about Paul if you are interested.]

Upvote 0

anonymouswho

Jul 28, 2015
✟16,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I have done my best to strip you of the church-applied shackles that bind your heart and soul, but if you persist in keeping your head immersed in the sand of Paul's baseless theological speculations, what more can I do?

I'm sorry my friend, but I think you misunderstand what Paul was telling us. There are a few points I'd like you address. As far as: did the men hear a voice or did they see a light, this seems a bit trivial to me, and in no ways undermines what Paul actually said. I'm sure there are plenty of Apologetic sites that can give a reasonable explanation of whether Luke recorded correctly, or if Paul lied, but this means nothing to me in the context of who Paul was.

I want to tell you first that I believe the Hebrew Scriptures above anything else that one might consider Scripture. Paul was a major problem for me as well, because he seemed to imply the Law was abolished. This would completely contradict what the Hebrew Scriptures tell us:

"If there arise among you a prophet, or a dreamer of dreams, and giveth thee a sign or a wonder,
And the sign or the wonder come to pass, whereof he spake unto thee, saying, Let us go after other gods, which thou hast not known, and let us serve them;
Thou shalt not hearken unto the words of that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams: for the LORD your God proveth you, to know whether ye love the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul.
Ye shall walk after the LORD your God, and fear him, and keep his commandments, and obey his voice, and ye shall serve him, and cleave unto him.
And that prophet, or that dreamer of dreams, shall be put to death; because he hath spoken to turn you away from the LORD your God, which brought you out of the land of Egypt, and redeemed you out of the house of bondage, to thrust thee out of the way which the LORD thy God commanded thee to walk in. So shalt thou put the evil away from the midst of thee." Deuteronomy 13:1

This passage tells me two things. First, if Yeshua came to abolish the Law, and if He came to reveal to others a "different" god, then He was rightfully Crucified. We know this is not true, for He says:

"Think not that I am come to destroy the law, or the prophets: I am not come to destroy, but to fulfil.
For verily I say unto you, Till heaven and earth pass, one jot or one tittle shall in no wise pass from the law, till all be fulfilled.
Whosoever therefore shall break one of these least commandments, and shall teach men so, he shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven: but whosoever shall do and teach them, the same shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven." Matthew 5:17

So, we know that Yeshua had no intention of abolishing the Law, and we know that He revealed the same God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob.

But then we have Paul, who seems to speak very harshly against Law, saying that we can now do whatever we want.

This is simply not true. Paul was a Pharisee, and he followed and believed every bit of the Law. He tells us several times how important the Law is, but he had to make sure that we did not think we were saved because of our obedience to the Law.

I'm going to attempt to explain what happened at the Jerusalem Council, and various other parts of Acts, so we can come to a better foundation of what Paul was saying, especially concerning circumcision.

"And certain men which came down from Judaea taught the brethren, and said, Except ye be circumcised after the manner of Moses, ye cannot be saved." Acts 15:1

This verse basically explains everything that Paul was telling us. The Jews had it backwards. They taught that unless you get circumcised, you could not be saved. This was no small affair. However, the Jews were confusing two separate Laws that have nothing to do with each other:

"Speak unto the children of Israel, saying, If a woman have conceived seed, and born a man child: then she shall be unclean seven days; according to the days of the separation for her infirmity shall she be unclean.
And in the eighth day the flesh of his foreskin shall be circumcised." Levitcus 12:2

The Jews were required to be circumcised on the eighth day after they were born. This commandment is still in effect today for the Jews.

However, there is another commandment concerning circumcision, and it has to do with the Gentiles:

"And the LORD said unto Moses and Aaron, This is the ordinance of the PASSOVER: There shall no stranger EAT thereof:
But every man's servant that is bought for money, WHEN thou hast circumcised him, then shall he eat thereof.
A foreigner and an hired servant shall not eat thereof." Exodus 12:43

This verse does not say that a Gentile cannot congregate, believe, or be saved unless by circumcision. It says if they wish to join the Passover meal, then they must be circumcised. Yeshua fulfilled the Passover, as the Passover was a shadow of what was to come. Paul understood that it was not circumcision of the flesh that God desires, but circumcision of the heart:

"And the LORD thy God will circumcise thine heart, and the heart of thy seed, to love the LORD thy God with all thine heart, and with all thy soul, that thou mayest live." Deuteronomy 30:6

"Circumcise yourselves to the LORD, and take away the foreskins of your heart, ye men of Judah and inhabitants of Jerusalem: lest my fury come forth like fire, and burn that none can quench it, because of the evil of your doings." Jeremiah 4:4

"For the name of God is blasphemed among the Gentiles through you, as it is written.
For circumcision verily profiteth, if thou keep the law: but if thou be a breaker of the law, thy circumcision is made uncircumcision.
Therefore if the uncircumcision keep the righteousness of the law, shall not his uncircumcision be counted for circumcision?
And shall not uncircumcision which is by nature, if it fulfil the law, judge thee, who by the letter and circumcision dost transgress the law?
For he is not a Jew, which is one outwardly; neither is that circumcision, which is outward in the flesh:
But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God." Romans 3:24

Do you see how the Jews wanted the Gentiles to be circumcised for selfish reasons? Here is the order that the Jews taught:

Follow Law, have Faith, God will give you Grace

But the correct order is:

God gives us Grace, because of this we have Faith, because of this we follow the Law

"When therefore Paul and Barnabas had no small dissension and disputation with them, they determined that Paul and Barnabas, and certain other of them, should go up to Jerusalem unto the apostles and elders about this question." Acts 15:2

You see, they were discussing circumcision. This was the only topic. This was not about the entire Law.

"And being brought on their way by the church, they passed through Phenice and Samaria, declaring the conversion of the Gentiles: and they caused great joy unto all the brethren.
And when they were come to Jerusalem, they were received of the church, and of the apostles and elders, and they declared all things that God had done with them." Acts 15:3-4

When Paul and Barnabas show up, they declare how the Gentiles were being converted at ridiculous numbers. It was surely the power of God that a massive amount of pagan worshippers (that were intellectually more advanced than any other culture before them) was rushing towards the Gospel.

"But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses." Acts 15:5

The underlined "and to command" is where a huge misunderstanding of this verse come from. The Greek literally says:

δε (it is proper)ῖπεριτέμνειν (to circumcise) αὐτοὺς (because) παραγγέλλειν (to instuct) τε (and both) τηρεῖν (to keep) τὸν (the) νόμον (Law) Μωϋσέως (of Moses)

The Greek τε is a conjecture that brings two or more verbs together. The Jews believed that circumcision would serve the purpose of both instruction, as well as to the keep of the Law.

"And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter.
And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe." Acts 15:6

It is not Paul nor Barnabas that stands up to address the people. It is Peter. And Peter tells them that God is calling the Gentiles. Then he continues:

"And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us;
And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith.
Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear?
But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they." Acts 15:8-11

The yoke that Peter is speaking about is not the Law, it is the circumcision of adult Gentile men. Remember, men were coming in from all over the Nations, and they had all received the holy Spirit before they knew about circumcision. This was a major concern for the Galatians:

"O foolish Galatians
, who hath bewitched you, that ye should not obey the truth, before whose eyes Jesus Christ hath been evidently set forth, crucified among you?
This only would I learn of you, Received ye the Spirit by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?
Are ye so foolish? having begun in the Spirit, are ye now made perfect by the flesh?
Have ye suffered so many things in vain? if it be yet in vain.
He therefore that ministereth to you the Spirit, and worketh miracles among you, doeth he it by the works of the law, or by the hearing of faith?" Galatians 3:1

"Then all the multitude kept silence, and gave audience to Barnabas and Paul, declaring what miracles and wonders God had wrought among the Gentiles by them.
And after they had held their peace, James answered, saying, Men and brethren, hearken unto me:" Acts 15:12-13

Think about this for a minute: this is over 2000 years ago, and the Jews (who were circumcised as infants), wanted grown men to be circumcised before they could fellowship. They received the Spirit and they Loved God, but now they are being told that this is not enough; they must have their penis sliced with a 1st century knife! (I'm sorry if that is inappropriate, but I need you to see why this is such a complicated matter).

So first, Peter (whom I believe wrote 2 Peter) tells the men that we believe that we are saved by the Grace of our Lord Yeshua. He also tells them that it would be a yoke on the disciples if they had to preach circumcision to grown men, because very few would be willing to suffer through this physical pain of the flesh.

Now, we have James that stands up to speak. Notice that not one word of Paul is recorded in this entire chapter.

"Simeon hath declared how God at the first did visit the Gentiles, to take out of them a people for his name.
And to this agree the words of the prophets; as it is written,
After this I will return, and will build again the tabernacle of David, which is fallen down; and I will build again the ruins thereof, and I will set it up:
That the residue of men might seek after the Lord, and all the Gentiles, upon whom my name is called, saith the Lord, who doeth all these things.
Known unto God are all his works from the beginning of the world.
Wherefore my sentence is, that we trouble not them, which from among the Gentiles are turned to God:
But that we write unto them, that they abstain from pollutions of idols, and from fornication, and from things strangled, and from blood.
For Moses of old time hath in every city them that preach him, being read in the synagogues every sabbath day." Acts 15:14-21

James pleads with the Jews as well that the Gentiles should not be required to be circumcised. He confirms what Paul tells the Galatians: that they received the Spirit first, so it is not by the Law that we are justified.

After James speaks, we are told:

"Then pleased it the apostles and elders, with the whole church, to send chosen men of their own company to Antioch with Paul and Barnabas;namely, Judas surnamed Barsabas, and Silas, chief men among the brethren"

If this issue was about the whole law, and not just circumcision, it is highly doubtful that the Jews would have been pleased just because two people gave two simple statements. The Jews had been raised their entire lives on the Law, and if anyone was to come and lead them away from it, this would not have been acceptable.

So the first sentence of the letter is:

"Forasmuch as we have heard, that certain which went out from us have troubled you with words, subverting your souls, saying, [Ye must] be circumcised, and (καί) keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment" Acts 15:24

That little word καί is the most used word in the Greek Scriptures. καί means several different things. Strong's Concordance says:

καί: and, even, also, namely.
2532 kaí (the most common NT conjunction, used over 9,000 times) –and (also), very often, moreover, even, indeed (the context determines the exact sense).

Plug any of those words in place of "and", and you have a very different message.

"be circumcised, (namely, even, indeed) to keep the law: to whom we gave no such commandment"

You see my friend, Paul never deviated away from what the other eleven had decided. He knew that they had more authority than him:

"And last of all he was seen of me also, as of one born out of due time.
For I am the least of the apostles, that am not meet to be called an apostle, because I persecuted the church of God.

But by the grace of God I am what I am: and his grace which was bestowed upon me was not in vain; but I laboured more abundantly than they all: yet not I, but the grace of God which was with me.
Therefore whether it were I or they, so we preach, and so ye believed." 1 Corinthians 15:9

Was Paul an Apostle? There are only Twelve Apostles, and after Yeshua chose the Twelve, Judas betrays Him. Yeshua knew that Judas would betray Him, but it didn't matter because there was another Apostle that He had in mind.

"Men and brethren, this scripture must needs have been fulfilled, which the Holy Ghost by the mouth of David spake before concerning Judas, which was guide to them that took Jesus.
For he was numbered with us, and had obtained part of this ministry." Acts 1:16

Peter knew that there must be Twelve Apostles, but Judas had betrayed Yeshua and he was dead. So, Peter decides:

"And they appointed two, Joseph called Barsabas, who was surnamed Justus, and Matthias.
And they prayed, and said, Thou, Lord, which knowest the hearts of all men, shew whether of these two thou hast chosen,
That he may take part of this ministry and apostleship, from which Judas by transgression fell, that he might go to his own place.
And they gave forth their lots; and the lot fell upon Matthias; and he was numbered with the eleven apostles." Acts 1:23

So who chose the Twelfth Apostle, men or God? It was men, wishing to take matters into their own hands. Carnal men who knew not the will of God. Had they not been chosen, surely they would have suffered the same fate as Saul, but God showed them mercy.

The very next sentence tells us something very important.

"And when the day of Pentecost was fully come, they were all with one accord in one place." Acts 2:1

Peter and the other disciples had chosen for themselves another men to join the Twelve, and they did so before they had been converted. Peter and the other eleven Apostles indeed learned many things from Yeshua, but they still hadn't been given the Spirit.

"And the Lord said, Simon, Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat:
But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and WHEN thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.
And he said unto him, Lord, I am ready to go with thee, both into prison, and to death.
And he said, I tell thee, Peter, the [bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse][bless and do not curse] shall not crow this day, before that thou shalt thrice deny that thou knowest me." Luke 22:32

Peter had been with Yeshua this whole time, learning many great things, and yet he still didn't have a clue what was going on. Remember, it was in chapter 10 that Peter even finds out that the Gentiles have been called (this is also important but we won't discuss this now). Now, six chapters later, he has just now received the Spirit. Peter had no right to choose Matthias.

"But the Lord said unto him, Go thy way: for he is a chosen vessel unto me, to bear my name before the Gentiles, and kings, and the children of Israel:
For I will shew him how great things he must suffer for my name's sake." Acts 9:15

"Paul, an apostle, (not of men, neither by man, but by Jesus Christ, and God the Father, who raised him from the dead;)" Galatian's 1:1

Paul is the Twelfth Apostle, chosen by Yeshua the Messiah and God our Father:

"Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and thatyour fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in my name, he may give it you." John 15:16

I'd like to also address Timothy's circumcision. Again, this is in the very next chapter after the Jerusalem Council:

"Then came he to Derbe and Lystra: and, behold, a certain disciple was there, named Timotheus, the son of a certain woman, which was a Jewess, and believed; but his father was a Greek:
Which was well reported of by the brethren that were at Lystra and Iconium.
Him (τοῦτον: this one) would (θέλησεν: wanted) Paul [have] to go forth with him; and took and circumcised him because of the Jews which were in those quarters: for they knew all that his father was a Greek."

It wasn't Paul that wanted to circumcise Timothy, it was Timothy that wanted to be circumcised. Paul had another disciple with him later on that did not want to be circumcised, and Paul defended this rightfully so:

"But neither Titus, who was with me, being a Greek, was compelled to be circumcised:
And that because of false brethren unawares brought in, who came in privily to spy out our liberty which we have in Christ Jesus, that they might bring us into bondage:" Galatians 2:3

I've read several places that Paul forced Timothy to be circumcised, but forbade Titus. That is ridiculous. Neither of those men did anything for Paul, they decided themselves what they wanted.

Well, this is very long so I'm going to stop now. If you'd like to discuss Galatians or anything else Paul said, I'd be more than happy to talk to you about these things. Thank you my friend and God bless you.

Upvote 0

anonymouswho

Jul 28, 2015
✟16,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hello my friend, this is very interesting. It seems too many people like to believe that they were crucified for themselves. As though we have anything to do with our Salvation. They forget that we are not saved by Faith, we are save by Grace through Faith, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

"God that made the world and all things therein, seeing that he is Lord of heaven and earth, dwelleth not in temples made with hands;
Neither is worshipped with men's hands, as though he needed any thing, seeing he giveth to all life, and breath, and all things;
And hath made of one blood all nations of men for to dwell on all the face of the earth, and hath determined the times before appointed, and the bounds of their habitation;
That they should seek the Lord, if haply they might feel after him, and find him, though he be not far from every one of us:
For in him we live, and move, and have our being; as certain also of your own poets have said, For we are also his offspring." Acts 17:24

Thank you Brother and God bless you.

Reactions: 2KnowHim
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married

“I entered Southern Seminary thinking that this issue would very soon find a resolution. It did not. It only became more intense and prominent as the seminary years progressed. The hard commandments of the Sermon on the Mount increasingly seemed tailor made to my central interests in the violence of Christendom that was World War II. But to my dismay, the Seminary faculty did nothing to relieve my growing concern. A typical response was to assure me that no one could keep those commandments. "They are only meant to convict us of sin so that we will trust in the blood of Jesus for forgiveness." I could never match those assurances with anything from the utterances of Jesus but found them contradicted on every hand.

Martin Luther, inspired by Paul, concluded that the Epistle of James was "an epistle of straw." I, inspired by Jesus and James, have finally concluded that Paul was anapostle of straw. I still acknowledge Paul's great zeal for Christ, but it was zeal for a Christ misunderstood. Paul's suffering for Christ bespeaks his great love for him, but it was love for a Christ misconceived. His preaching of Christ was among the most effective the world has ever seen, but it was of a Christ mis-preached. What follows is an effort to present Paul as I have come to know him, minus his halo but yet clothed with a kind of respect that seems at times contradictory, even to me. Seeing Paul, as he really is – warts and all – does not detract from my admiration of the work he performed.

It is very unlikely that any of the early disciples thought of their own writings as scripture, with the possible exception of Paul [The author doubts even this]. I will explain this possible exception below. And would Peter have been one who characterized Paul's letters as scripture? Hardly! (This assumes that Peter authored the Petrine epistles, which many doubt. I have no problem with Peter's authorship, provided we allow for redactions such as this.)Could Paul have seen himself as filling the vacancy? No, for he would surely have made that his claim. The fact is that the remaining eleven were instrumental in the selection of Matthias to fill this vacancy as even Luke informs us in The Acts, and had Paul seen himself as being Judas' replacement, Luke would certainly have seen him as such. I believe, nevertheless, that Paul was Judas's successor – as traitor! Judas betrayed him in his flesh; Paul betrayed him in his spirit.

I see him as one who was, at a certain level, a man of great integrity who could persuade and deceive others only because he had first persuaded himself, which contributed to the effectiveness of his ministry. He preached in all sincerity what he really believed. Furthermore, a portion of his doctrine is wonderfully and gloriously true, which renders it all the more deceptive as even Paul could have understood from the standpoint of one who could accuse other "apostles" of disguising themselves as "servants of righteousness” (II Corinthians 11:15).

Now I, Paul, say to you that if you receive circumcision, Christ will be of no advantage to you. I testify again to every man who receives circumcision that he is bound to keep the whole law. You are severed from Christ, you who would be justified by the law; you have fallen away from grace (Galatians 5:2-4).

This is his unequivocal assertion of one of his most basic convictions. But look at what he did:

And he came to Derbe and to Lystra. A disciple was there, named Timothy, the son of a Jewish woman who was a believer; but his father was a Greek. He was well spoken of by the brethren at Lystra and Iconium. Paul wanted Timothy to accompany him; and he took him and circumcised him because of the Jews that were in those places, for they all knew that his father was a Greek (Acts 16:1-3).

If this isn't inconsistency and compromise, I would not know how to define these things. Of course, one could defend Paul here by saying that the Galatian letter was written long after he had Timothy circumcised, and his views matured during the interval. Let us then say that is the case, and look at the implication: His views changed from one thing to another during the period when he was preaching his gospel throughout the world. The Truth, however, did not change during that period, for that is unchanging. He therefore could not have been preaching the Truth during this period of changing views, yet he claimed to be preaching the same gospel from beginning to end. This leaves us with no basis for believing that he ever preached the True Gospel!

Did he really see a bright light? And did he really hear a voice? I believe he did, although it is questionable that others saw or heard them. The contradictions in the accounts of his revelation are sufficient to cause us to question his objectivity at the moment and his veracity afterwards. In his defence before the Jerusalem crowd as Luke related in Acts 22:9 he said, “Now those who were with me saw the light but did not hear the voice of the one who was speaking to me.”

But then Luke described Paul's experience in Chapter 9 thusly: The men who were traveling with him stood speechless, hearing the voice but seeing no one. (Acts 9:7)

Paul claimed that the gospel which was preached by him is not man's gospel, for he said, “I did not receive it from man nor was I taught it, but it came through a revelation of Jesus Christ.”

Are we to believe that Jesus communicated directly to Paul the doctrine of his return to earth in Paul's lifetime? He said above, “. . . this I declare unto you by the word of the Lord.” If so, Jesus was also mistaken. But in this case, Jesus can no more be identified with Truth.

I much prefer some other option, such as that Paul was the one mistaken; that he had visions during which he believed he was communicating with Jesus, when he actually was not. He therefore received his gospel, not from Jesus, but from whatever source it was that communicated with him during his visions. This is not the place to expand on the significance of this. Here it is only necessary to demonstrate that Paul could be in error in a case in which we can be certain he erred, for this alone is sufficient to justify our questioning everything he taught about Jesus Christ.

So, Paul's doctrine of Jesus' soon coming was clearly erroneous, being falsified by two thousand years of history Paul quotes at times without any regard to the context in which the passage is found in the Old Testament.

Justification by Faith

Justification by faith only and apart from works of the law can be said to be a major theme of Paul's gospel. Indeed, I suppose this could be said to be his gospel, his good news, in a nutshell. After stating his case in Romans 3, he goes on in Chapter 4 to call forth the example of Abraham to cement his case. A similar argument is also presented in the Galatian letter. Focusing on the statement in Genesis 15:6, "Abraham believed God and it was reckoned to him as righteousness" (or justification), Paul proceeds to set forth the idea that this justification came to Abraham before he was circumcised, and therefore is independent of circumcision so that the uncircumcised Gentiles are as qualified to receive it as are the Jews. Then, secondly, that it is independent of the law or of works of the law. Abraham believed God and had faith in his promise, even in the knowledge of the barrenness of Sarah's womb and his own advanced age. As Paul explained,

No distrust made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised. That is why his faith was "reckoned to him as righteousness" (Rom. 4:20-22).

So it is on this basis that Paul seeks to establish Abraham as the prime example of justification by faith only, and not by works.

This, however, is not the entire story. If we examine the wider contest of Genesis, we must conclude that Abraham’s blessing came through both faith and works of law, and especially through the latter. God spoke to Abraham and said,

I will indeed bless you, and I will multiply your descendants as the stars of heaven and as the sand which is on the seashore. And your descendants shall possess the gate of their enemies, and by your descendants shall all the nations of the earth bless themselves, because you have obeyed my voice (Genesis 22:17, 18).

No mention here of faith, only that Abraham obeyed the voice of the Lord – a work of obedience to law! Then, later, when God extended the same blessing to Isaac, it was because Abraham had . . . obeyed my voice and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws. (Genesis 26:5).

So that when Paul wrote, The promise to Abraham and his descendants, that they should inherit the world, did not come through the law but through the righteousness of faith (Romans 4:13), he chose to ignore the full explanation of the Genesis text. To cap it all off, nowhere in Genesis can I find that God promised Abraham that his descendants would inherit the world! He only promised them the Land of Canaan (Genesis 17:8).

The Epistle of James may have been written for the purpose, in part, of countering this “faith only” doctrine of Paul. James also appeals to Abraham, specifically to the offering of Isaac as sacrifice, and concludes, “Do you want to be shown, you foolish fellow, that faith apart from works is barren? Was not Abraham our father justified by works, when he offered his son Isaac upon the altar? You see that faith was active along with his works, and faith was completed by his works, and the scripture was fulfilled which says, “Abraham believed God, and it was reckoned to him as righteousness;” and he was called the friend of God. You see that a man is justified by works and not by faith alone. (James 2:20-24)

He advances a collection of six quotations from various contexts of the Old Testament to put this point, the universality of human sinfulness and depravity, to rest once for all. Let us list them all for closer examination, after which I will comment on each one briefly:

1. Romans :( 3:10-12) None is righteous, no, not one; no one understands, no one seeks for God. All have turned aside, together they have gone wrong; no one does good, not even one (Psalm 14:1-3).

2. (3:13a) Their throat is an open grave, they use their tongues to deceive (Psalm 5:9).

5. (3:15-17) Their feet are swift to shed blood, in their paths are ruin and misery, and the way of peace they do not know (Isaiah 59:7, 8).

Psalm 14:1-3 appears on first reading to say exactly what Paul wishes it to say. But if we read the balance of the psalm, it becomes evident that the psalmist did not intend what Paul asserted, for in v. 4 we have the evildoers set apart from my people with a clear distinction made between them. Then in v. 5, these evildoers will be in great terror, for God will be with the generation of the righteous, who are then identified with the poor, but the Lord is his refuge. The Psalm closes with v. 7:

O, that deliverance for Israel would come out of Zion! When the Lord restores the fortunes of his people, Jacob shall rejoice, Israel shall be glad.

Clearly, the Psalmist allows for two categories of human beings, the evildoers and the generation of the righteous, who are identified with Israel in the last verse. The "no, not one" must then refer only to the evildoers who eat up my people as they eat bread, and do not call upon the Lord, presumably Gentiles in contrast to Jacob and Israel. Paul, who seeks by this to prove his point, that all are under condemnation of sin without exception, has not properly regarded the context and has as a result drawn something out of it contrary to the intent of the Psalmist. He has tampered with God's word.

There is no denying it. Paul has here used the Word deceptively. He has tampered with it to make it appear that his position is supported thereby. Not only is this premise not supported by the passages quoted as its support, but neither is it true to the thought of the Old Testament, as Holmes Rolston would have us believe. The thought of the Old Testament, beginning with Cain and Abel, consistently allows for two categories of human beings, the wicked and the righteous, in the manner I have demonstrated above. If Paul's premise is true, it cannot be established by reference to the Law, the Prophets, or the Psalms. Now we know why his opponents charged him with tampering with the Word of God, and why he was compelled to issue denials in his defense.

It is not surprising to see Paul applying this prophecy to the coming of the Christ (Messiah) in the work of Jesus. This is a common application, but he interprets the word for faithfulness as faith, applying it to the conviction of the truth of the redemptive work of Christ, which is not justified when its context is considered. The Septuagint similarly errs in using the Greek,pistis, to translate the Hebrew word, for this does mean faith, as Paul understood it. Since Paul was using the Septuagint, this may explain how he came to misunderstand the word in its context. And he made it the cornerstone of his gospel so it looks suspiciously like he has again been found tampering with God's Word. This is only one more of the numerous incidents where it can be shown that Paul used the Word deceptively.

{To be continued if you are interested}

Upvote 0

anonymouswho

Jul 28, 2015
✟16,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Justification by Faith

My friend, it seems like you sent me the same message twice. I know if you leave the page, sometimes it will plug an old message in. Thank you my friend and God bless you.

Upvote 0

anonymouswho

Jul 28, 2015
✟16,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Justification by Faith

You may be right my friend. I am sorry that I did not take the time to discuss this with you before. I never realized how much I quote Paul, as opposed to Yeshua. I was joking with a friend recently, asking him if Paul was the "false apostle" spoken of to the Ephesians in Revelation 2:2. After I said it, everything just seemed to click. I realized it was time to put Paul to the test again, and it's not looking good for him. I love Paul, but I love Yeshua more; so if Paul is indeed a false apostle, then so be it.

I still have to study Paul's letters very carefully in Greek to see if the accusations are true in context, but there is obviously something very wrong with Galatians chapter 2. I've also failed to see an acceptable interpretation of the Benjamin prophecy in Genesis 49:27. And it really seems like 1 John is almost exclusively about Paul.

Anyways, I just wanted to apologize for blowing you off so quickly. I'd love to discuss this if you're still up for it. Tha k you my friend and God bless you.

Reactions: Righttruth
Upvote 0

Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
You may be right my friend. I am sorry that I did not take the time to discuss this with you before. I never realized how much I quote Paul, as opposed to Yeshua. I was joking with a friend recently, asking him if Paul was the "false apostle" spoken of to the Ephesians in Revelation 2:2. After I said it, everything just seemed to click. I realized it was time to put Paul to the test again, and it's not looking good for him. I love Paul, but I love Yeshua more; so if Paul is indeed a false apostle, then so be it.

I still have to study Paul's letters very carefully in Greek to see if the accusations are true in context, but there is obviously something very wrong with Galatians chapter 2. I've also failed to see an acceptable interpretation of the Benjamin prophecy in Genesis 49:27. And it really seems like 1 John is almost exclusively about Paul.

Anyways, I just wanted to apologize for blowing you off so quickly. I'd love to discuss this if you're still up for it. Tha k you my friend and God bless you.

I don't rule out Paul altogether. I just filter him through the preaching of Jesus! I have quoted from the book "Did Paul Deviate From the Gospel?" Be blessed.

Upvote 0

2KnowHim

Dying to Live
Feb 18, 2007
✟9,953.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Paul, remember is the Apostle to the Gentiles and spoke out Revelation not the law that the Jews were still under when Jesus came to His people, up until the time that the Temple came down. I believe it is important to note the time of his epistles and when they were written. Also remember Peter gave Paul props and said he is sometimes hard to be understood, but by no means does he say he is not to be trusted. Only those with The Revelation of Christ Jesus will understand Paul.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Dkh587

Site Supporter
Jun 6, 2014
Southeast
✟552,407.00
Country
United States
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
just wanted to share these two verses. It's a great parallel of the "old" and "new" "testaments" in regards to what the gospel actually is. YAHUSHA was preaching "the gospel" before he died.

"The Spirit of the Master Yahuah is upon me; because Yahuah hath anointed me to preach good tidings(the gospel) unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; To proclaim the acceptable year of Yahuah, and the day of vengeance of our Alahym; to comfort all that mourn; To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of Yahuah, that he might be glorified.”
‭‭Isaiah/Yashayahu‬ ‭61:1-3‬

“And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Yashayahu. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written, The Spirit of Yahuah is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel(good tidings) to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of Yahuah. And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭4:17-21‬ ‭

Upvote 0

Righttruth

Site Supporter
Jan 13, 2015
✟176,910.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Paul, remember is the Apostle to the Gentiles and spoke out Revelation not the law that the Jews were still under when Jesus came to His people, up until the time that the Temple came down. I believe it is important to note the time of his epistles and when they were written. Also remember Peter gave Paul props and said he is sometimes hard to be understood, but by no means does he say he is not to be trusted. Only those with The Revelation of Christ Jesus will understand Paul.

You mean to understand his self-claims and proclamations?

Upvote 0

anonymouswho

Jul 28, 2015
✟16,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married

Hey 2KnowHim! It is good to hear from you my friend. I have missed you and Jugghead, but I had to do some private studying for a while.

This is not an easy subject for me. It took me a long time to decide to post on here. You know better than anyone how much I love quoting Paul. However, the things that I have found against Paul are much too deep to ignore any longer. I'm feeling better now, but when I first began studying this I was extremely heartbroken.

I can no longer accept that passage in 2 Peter as valid. The author literally says that Paul's letters are also "scripture", and this is not true. The only Scriptures are the Hebrew Scriptures. I would accept the words of Yeshua as Scripture also, but besides these there are no other Scriptures. For this reason, I do not believe Peter wrote 2 Peter. However, I do believe he dictated 1 Peter while Silvanus wrote, and I also believe he wrote Hebrews with his own hand.

There is nothing wrong with testing those that claim to be Apostles. Yeshua commended the Ephesians church for doing this in Revelation 2:2. This is also the only church that Yeshua names that Paul wrote to, but we can discuss this later.

The main concern I have is Paul's conversion story in chapter 9 of Acts. Luke says that Paul was in the outskirts of Damascus (the wilderness- Matthew 24:26) when he saw a light from heaven surround him. This light was supposed to be "Jesus".

1 John 4:2 says that Yeshua is come in flesh. Our bibles say "Hereby know ye the Spirit of God: Every spirit that confesseth that Jesus Christ is come in the flesh is of God"; there is no definite article before "flesh". The main word is "come". This means Yeshua was Resurrected in His flesh. He is not a spiritual being, He is flesh and bone (Luke 24:39).

But Paul saw a light. And Paul says in Philippians 2:7 that Yeshua was made "in the likeness of flesh". This would imply that Yeshua was not really flesh and bone, but only appeared to be a man.

It seems as though 1 John is about Paul. Notice John says he testifies to what he has seen, and touched" (1 Jon 1:1). Paul says he was taught by revelation, and not by man (Galatians 1:11). John says we know the spirit of truth vs the spirit of error because we know that the Apostles are of God, and anyone that doesn't listen to them is not of God (1 John 4:6). Paul says those that "seemed" added nothing to him, and that Peter, John, and James, who "seemed" to be pillars, made no difference to him (Galatians 2:6). Paul says he and Peter agreed that Paul should go to the uncircumcised and Peter to the circumcised (Galatians 2:7). Peter says he is the Apostle to the Gentiles (Acts 15:7) and John says that those that left them proved they were not of them, otherwise they would have stayed (1 John 2:19).

This is just the beginning of my concerns. I do not want this, but I cannot ignore it. I know that you believe in Yeshua and you love God. I know that if Paul's letters never existed, you and Jugghead would still believe. Yeshua is the Savior of the world! And He died not for our sins alone, but for the whole world (1 John 2:2). Nothing changes this, but if Paul is false then there are a few changes that must be made.

Thank you for replying and I hope to hear from you very soon. Peace and God bless you my friend.

Upvote 0

anonymouswho

Jul 28, 2015
✟16,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
You mean to understand his self-claims and proclamations?

Hey Righttruth, thanks for replying. It is true that Paul alone claimed himself to be an Apostle of Yeshua. I had written to you previously that Matthias was not the Twelfth Apostle because he was chosen by man, rather than God. I then showed that the Apostles had not received the spirit until the next chapter. This was incorrect. They received the spirit after Yeshua was Resurrected in John 20:22. Therefore Matthias was the Twelfth Apostle. This means that Paul could not be "an Apostle of Yeshua". I now realize that the only proof of Paul's Apostleship from Yeshua was based exclusively on Paul's own words. Yeshua says we need at least two or three witnesses, so without a confirming witness to Paul's Aposteship, it cannot be validated.

I'm curious to know how you feel about the Epistle to the Hebrews? Most believe Barnabas wrote it, but I believe Peter wrote it with his own hand. Is this an epistle that you consider valid?

Thank you my friend and God bless.

Upvote 0

anonymouswho

Jul 28, 2015
✟16,958.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
just wanted to share these two verses. It's a great parallel of the "old" and "new" "testaments" in regards to what the gospel actually is. YAHUSHA was preaching "the gospel" before he died.

"The Spirit of the Master Yahuah is upon me; because Yahuah hath anointed me to preach good tidings(the gospel) unto the meek; he hath sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to them that are bound; To proclaim the acceptable year of Yahuah, and the day of vengeance of our Alahym; to comfort all that mourn; To appoint unto them that mourn in Zion, to give unto them beauty for ashes, the oil of joy for mourning, the garment of praise for the spirit of heaviness; that they might be called trees of righteousness, the planting of Yahuah, that he might be glorified.”
‭‭Isaiah/Yashayahu‬ ‭61:1-3‬

“And there was delivered unto him the book of the prophet Yashayahu. And when he had opened the book, he found the place where it was written, The Spirit of Yahuah is upon me, because he hath anointed me to preach the gospel(good tidings) to the poor; he hath sent me to heal the brokenhearted, to preach deliverance to the captives, and recovering of sight to the blind, to set at liberty them that are bruised, To preach the acceptable year of Yahuah. And he closed the book, and he gave it again to the minister, and sat down. And the eyes of all them that were in the synagogue were fastened on him. And he began to say unto them, This day is this scripture fulfilled in your ears.”
‭‭Luke‬ ‭4:17-21‬ ‭
Thank you for replying my friend. Beautiful scriptures. We are discussing whether Paul was a false Apostle right now, and as much as I love Paul, God has indeed worked to heal my broken heart. The Gospel of Yeshua is righteous and true. No other God could do what our Father has done. Thank you and God bless you.

Reactions: Dkh587
Upvote 0