The Fowls of the Air...who/what are they?

1whirlwind

Jun 26, 2009
✟5,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Mark 4:4 And it came to pass, as he sowed, some fell by the way side, and the FOWLS OF THE AIR came and devoured it up.

4:14-15 The sower soweth the word. And these are they by the way side, where the word is sown; but when they have heard, Satan cometh immediately, and taken away the word that was sown in their hearts.
In the above verses, our Father shows us just what or who the "fowls of the air" are. In the two verses, one in parable form and the other explained by Jesus...He said:

The parable teaches...The seed falls by the way side and the fowls of the air come and devour it.
He teaches...The (Seed/Word) falls by the way side and the (fowls of the air/Satan) (devoured it up/take away) the Word!

The fowls of the air are Satan's folks!

They have been with us from the beginning and God protected them during the flood of Noah....
Genesis 7:3 Of fowls also of the air by sevens, the male and the female; to keep seed alive upon the face of all the earth.

Ephesians 2:2 Wherein in time past ye walked according to the course of this world, according to the prince of the power of the air, the spirit that now worketh in the children of disobedience:
Air, as used there, is breath (not atmosphere). It is the breath of life, spirit. Satan is the prince of the spirit/air that is in "children of disobedience."
6:12 (666) For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.
As the fowl of the air are those in Satan's camp...who are the beasts of the earth?

1whirlwind

Jun 26, 2009
✟5,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
sometimes there is no need to dig for deep spiitual meanings.

freud said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and sometimes a bird is just a bird.

it's a parable.

steve

In this case there is no "deep digging" for He explained who the fowl of the air are....and they aren't birds. The parable is for the multitude...the explanation is for us.

Upvote 0

Sphinx777

Nov 24, 2007
Bibliotheca Alexandrina
✟10,752.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
Fowl is a word for birds in general but usually refers to birds belonging to one of two biological orders, namely the gamefowl or landfowl (Galliformes) and the waterfowl (Anseriformes). Studies of anatomical and molecular similarities suggest these two groups were close evolutionary relatives; together, they form the fowl clade which is scientifically known as Galloanserae (initially termed Galloanseri). This clade is also supported by morphological and DNA sequence data as well as retrotransposon presence/absence data.

:angel: :angel: :angel: :angel: :angel:

Upvote 0

1whirlwind

Jun 26, 2009
✟5,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
So every time we see fowls or air in scripture we need to think of Satan?

We should certainly consider it.
Matthew 6:26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?
The fowls don't sow His Word nor will they reap blessings and salvation. Another hint as to who they are is in understanding who else is not gathered into barns?
13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.
The tares are the fowls of the air.
Deuteronomy 28:26 And thy carcase shall be meat unto all fowls of the air, and unto the beasts of the earth, and no man shall fray them away.
That was a curse God said would come upon us "if thou wilt not hearken unto the voice of the LORD thy God, to observe to do all His commandments and His statutes which I command thee this day." [28:15]

If we are among those that don't hearken then we are still a carnal man, a flesh man....not spiritually alive. We are no more than a walking dead man, a "carcase" that Satan and his workers (fowls and beasts) can rule over.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums
S

Senix

sometimes there is no need to dig for deep spiitual meanings.

freud said, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar, and sometimes a bird is just a bird.

it's a parable.

steve

Exactly!

I have read many of whirlwinds posts and you often draw conclusions from passages that to be blunt aren't there. I've kept quite, but it is really annoying when you get simple things like this and you try to unsuccessfully complicate them and draw "deeper" spiritual meanings that do not exist. A simple commentary and/or cultural commentary will give you deeper insight on most things (e.g. the leviathan thread a few weeks ago), so go read one if you're that interested...

Upvote 0

1whirlwind

Jun 26, 2009
✟5,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Exactly!

I have read many of whirlwinds posts and you often draw conclusions from passages that to be blunt aren't there. I've kept quite, but it is really annoying when you get simple things like this and you try to unsuccessfully complicate them and draw "deeper" spiritual meanings that do not exist. A simple commentary and/or cultural commentary will give you deeper insight on most things (e.g. the leviathan thread a few weeks ago), so go read one if you're that interested...

It wasn't necessary to go to man's writings for insight as His Word explains who the fowls of the air are....
Matthew 6:26 Behold the fowls of the air: for they sow not, neither do they reap, nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feedeth them. Are ye not much better than they?

13:30 Let both grow together until the harvest: and in the time of harvest I will say to the reapers, Gather ye together first the tares, and bind them in bundles to burn them: but gather the wheat into my barn.

The Word tells us the fowls of the air are the tares. Should I go to a commentary for insight on any question?
Matthew 24:4 And Jesus answered and said unto them, "Take heed that no man deceive you.

Lamentations 4:4 The tongue of the sucking child cleaveth to the roof of his mouth for thirst: the young children ask bread, and no man breaketh it unto them.

Matthew 6:8 Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask Him.

7:7-11 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you: For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened. Or what man is there of you, whom if his son ask bread, will he give him a stone? Or if he ask a fish, will he give him a serpent? If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children, how much more shall your Father which is in heaven give good things to them that ask Him?

Luke 8:9 And His disciples asked Him, saying, What might this parable be?

John 15:16 Ye have not chosen me, but I have chosen you, and ordained you, that ye should go and bring forth fruit, and that your fruit should remain: that whatsoever ye shall ask of the Father in My name, he may give it you.

James 1:5-6 If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him. But let him ask in faith, nothing wavering. For he that wavereth is like a wave of the sea driven with the wind and tossed.

4:2-3 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not. Ye ask, and receive not, because ye ask amiss, that ye may consume it upon your lusts.
We, as His disciples, should ask Him for understanding of His Word. And..."it shall be given" if we ask for the proper reasons...as written in the fourth chapter of James.

Upvote 0

1whirlwind

Jun 26, 2009
✟5,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I missed something. Where does it say that fowls and tares are the same?

Compare the two Scriptures.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

1whirlwind

Jun 26, 2009
✟5,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Also, if we are not to use commentaries, why do you keep publishing yours?

Why are we here Hammster?

Matthew 10:27 What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops.

Malachi 3:16-17 Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before Him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought uon His name. And they shall be Mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up My jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married

Compare the two Scriptures.

I did. I don't see where fowls are tares. Can you connect the dots?

Upvote 0

Hammster

Psalm 144:1
Christian Forums Staff
Site Advisor
Site Supporter
Apr 5, 2007
New Jerusalem
Visit site
✟1,727,040.00
Country
United States
Faith
Reformed
Marital Status
Married
Why are we here Hammster?

Matthew 10:27 What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops.

Malachi 3:16-17 Then they that feared the LORD spake often one to another: and the LORD hearkened, and heard it, and a book of remembrance was written before Him for them that feared the LORD, and that thought uon His name. And they shall be Mine, saith the LORD of hosts, in that day when I make up My jewels; and I will spare them, as a man spareth his own son that serveth him.

Then reading commentaries is okay?

Upvote 0

1whirlwind

Jun 26, 2009
✟5,815.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
I did. I don't see where fowls are tares. Can you connect the dots?

Yes. :)

Then reading commentaries is okay?

We are free to study as we wish Hammster. The statement was...."A simple commentary and/or cultural commentary will give you deeper insight on most things (e.g. the leviathan thread a few weeks ago), so go read one if you're that interested..." My reply was it wasn't necessary to do so. His Word explained it quite well. I also added a great deal of documentation saying we are to ask our Father...not man. Again, that is our choice.

Upvote 0

stone

Senior Contributor
Site Supporter
Feb 7, 2005
Everywhere
✟73,174.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
There are numbered chapters and numbered verses that men put into these writings to help men keep context of what is being read and to assist in learning.

You'll find that it's the dreams and visions that have hidden meanings. Parables also have hidden messages, but within the writtings the parables are explained.

Turkeys are not evil, they're delicious. :thumbsup:

Upvote 0