Oncedeceived

Senior Veteran
Jul 11, 2003
✟66,670.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
I supplied specific, clear criticisms of the book you cited (even though you apparently read it years ago and don't recognize the actual quote of the author's methodology).

You then refused to address the issue unless I can paste it as a quote from someone else.

Unfortunately for you, I happen to be in touch with some of my old professors. Dr Belandi says, "Yeah, those issues that [my actual name] brought up need to be addressed."

So, please defend the inclusion of planck units in his system and the assumption of a random distribution between 1 and this arbitrary unit.
Awesome, what are Dr. Belandi's credentials? I would be interested in why he thinks Planck Mass would be arbitrary.

Upvote 0

[serious]

'As we treat the least of our brothers...' RIP GA
Site Supporter
Aug 29, 2006
✟72,846.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Awesome, what are Dr. Belandi's credentials? I would be interested in why he thinks Planck Mass would be arbitrary.
He's one of my old physics professors.

As far as it being arbitrary, it's up to you to give a non arbitrary reason for its inclusion. The value of units generally is arbitrary. There is no special significance to the kilogram or the pound for example. They are arbitrary.

Upvote 0

quatona

"God"? What do you mean??
May 15, 2005
✟175,292.00
Faith
Seeker
He's one of my old physics professors.

As far as it being arbitrary, it's up to you to give a non arbitrary reason for its inclusion. The value of units generally is arbitrary. There is no special significance to the kilogram or the pound for example. They are arbitrary.
...but a kilogram is fine-tuned to be exactly 1000 grams - that can´t be the result of random chance! ;)

Upvote 0

LisaPar

Aug 28, 2016
United Kingdom
✟248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Married
This is a topic that another member, Athee, and I have determined would be a good one to explore in our opposing views.

Paul Davies, a British-born theoretical physicist, cosmologist, astrobiologist and best-selling author has said of fine tuning:
“Scientists are slowly waking up to an inconvenient truth - the universe looks suspiciously like a fix. The issue concerns the very laws of nature themselves. For 40 years, physicists and cosmologists have been quietly collecting examples of all too convenient "coincidences" and special features in the underlying laws of the universe that seem to be necessary in order for life, and hence conscious beings, to exist. Change any one of them and the consequences would be lethal. Fred Hoyle, the distinguished cosmologist, once said it was as if "a super-intellect has monkeyed with physics".

There is agreement between the majority of physicists, cosmologists and astrobiologists in regards to the fine tuning of the universe. The question is not whether or not fine tuning is real, it is, but why? Why is our universe the way it is and could it have been different? What best explains the universe and its very narrow parameters that allow for intelligent life to exist?

These are the questions and more that we will be addressing in this thread.

My view as the theist is that God better explains the fine tuning of the universe than a purely atheistic naturalistic explanation.

Get ready, get set, and go......
How do believers know they have found the God that fine tuned everything? how do believers know it wasn't fine tuned for bacteria?
How can anyone say it was fine tuned for humans when humans can only survive on a miniscule part of it?
This million roomed house was designed for us to live in but we can only use one room because all the other rooms are uninhabitable and will kill us if we go into them, what stupid designer designed that house? perhaps we are wrong and it really wasn't designed for humans after all.

Reactions: MasonP
Upvote 0

MasonP

Sep 11, 2016
United Kingdom
✟16,015.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
How do believers know they have found the God that fine tuned everything? how do believers know it wasn't fine tuned for bacteria?
How can anyone say it was fine tuned for humans when humans can only survive on a miniscule part of it?
This million roomed house was designed for us to live in but we can only use one room because all the other rooms are uninhabitable and will kill us if we go into them, what stupid designer designed that house? perhaps we are wrong and it really wasn't designed for humans after all.
I don't think fine tuned believers want to know any of that.

Upvote 0

AV1611VET

SCIENCE CAN TAKE A HIKE
Site Supporter
Jun 18, 2006
Guam
✟4,909,229.00
Country
United States
Faith
Baptist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
If a city was built at the bottom of the ocean, can the inhabitants of this city claim the biodome was fine tuned for human life?

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

MasonP

Sep 11, 2016
United Kingdom
✟16,015.00
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Single
If a city was built at the bottom of the ocean, can the inhabitants of this city claim the biodome was fine tuned for human life?
When humans have bases on the Moon will believers say the Moon was fine tuned for man or will they say man made the Moon habitable for human life?
The only way man can survive on the parts that are not "fine tuned" for us is if we take our living environment with us.

Upvote 0