The Fat Tax: A Controversial Tool in War Against Obesity.

Ginny

I like to whisper, too!
Feb 22, 2005
here
✟18,148.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
MsAnne said:
It worked so well discouraging cigarette smokers.

I can't believe how much cigarettes are now. I don't smoke, but it seems as though I saw Marlboro's are about $4 a pack (?) when I was recently in the store.

A very expensive habit... I don't think it would matter if cigarettes became $10 a pack..people continue to smoke on their death bed.

Upvote 0

burrow_owl

Senior Contributor
Aug 17, 2003
Visit site
✟25,726.00
Faith
Non-Denom
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Democrat
Cigarettes are $7-8 in nyc. Smoking rates in the city, IIRC, have plummetted as a result (the money certainly factored into my decision to quit).

And, really, it's a good thing that fewer people smoke, just as it would be a good thing if people didn't eat so much garbage. And these two propositions are uncontroversial. If someone thinks that becoming obese and clogging their arteries is a good or even indifferent thing, we'd rightly question their sanity, just as we would if someone thought getting lung cancer was fine with them.

It's just a question of what legitimate means the state can avail itself of in trying to secure uncontroversial social goods.

Upvote 0

Mskedi

Senior Veteran
Dec 13, 2005
✟21,800.00
Faith
Methodist
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Green
I wouldn't mind seeing the junk food machines taken out of public schools, but that's about as far as I'd like to see any regulation on junk food go.

Things that are toxic no matter what (like cigarettes) I don't mind taxing, particularly since second hand smoke can affect me, and the fewer smokers there are, the less affected by smoke I am. There is no way for me to suffer a second-hand twinkie effect.

Upvote 0

Dracil

Dec 25, 2003
San Francisco
✟16,707.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Others
I actually think it's a good idea.

For example, sometimes I buy soda because it's just MUCH cheaper than say, milk, or orange juice. Worse health-wise, but more economical. If they taxed the soda and made milk/orange juices cheaper, I'd probably switch around.

Upvote 0

k

reset
Aug 29, 2004
✟23,943.00
Faith
Messianic
Marital Status
Single
Politics
US-Green
Dracil said:
I actually think it's a good idea.

For example, sometimes I buy soda because it's just MUCH cheaper than say, milk, or orange juice. Worse health-wise, but more economical. If they taxed the soda and made milk/orange juices cheaper, I'd probably switch around.

That's the problem...the "junk" food prices will simply increase and there will be no decrease on the healthier foods. Anyone every try to eat only organic foods? Can't do it on my budget.:)

Upvote 0