"The Exorcist" director William Friedkon says witnessing exorcism was a life changing event

Michie

Site Supporter
Feb 5, 2002
Woods
✟4,668,264.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Exorcisms are not something the Catholic Church flaunts yet the world seems to understand, and certainly Hollywood does, that if the devil shows up, your next best move is to call a priest. For instance, in April 2012, Fr. Michael Maginot of St. Stephen Martyr Church in Merrillville, IN. was asked by a Methodist minister to help save a family from demons.

Continued below.
http://m.ncregister.com/blog/armstr...ctual-exorcism-was-life-changing#.V0jANUb3bCQ

LivingWordUnity

Unchanging Deposit of Faith, Traditional Catholic
May 10, 2007
✟213,086.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
I watched a documentary of the real exorcism that the movie "The Exorcist" was based on. Very interesting, but a tad unnerving.
In a 1979 interview, William Friedkin said that the real case that the movie was based on happened in Silver Spring, MD.

Here's that interview (which, by the way, was never aired):

Last edited:
Upvote 0

AvilaSurfer

Site Supporter
May 14, 2015
NO
✟936,496.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Republican
I have to say, as a cradle Catholic, with fairly good catechesis and a healthy respect for Satan and hell, and even though I was in my 20s at the time, The Exorcist scared the ever lovin' crap outta me.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0

shioks

Site Supporter
Mar 7, 2016
Beijing
✟37,929.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Exorcisms are not something the Catholic Church flaunts yet the world seems to understand, and certainly Hollywood does, that if the devil shows up, your next best move is to call a priest. For instance, in April 2012, Fr. Michael Maginot of St. Stephen Martyr Church in Merrillville, IN. was asked by a Methodist minister to help save a family from demons.

Continued below.
http://m.ncregister.com/blog/armstr...ctual-exorcism-was-life-changing#.V0jANUb3bCQ

I'm not sure what you are trying to depict here. As far as I know and witnessed, Protestants, inclusive of Methodist church, carry out exorcisms also. My take is that the particular Methodist minister may not have the gift of exorcisms and, thus, requested assistance from nearby church.

Upvote 0

eastcoast_bsc

Veteran
Mar 29, 2005
Boston
✟394,442.00
Faith
Christian
I have to say, as a cradle Catholic, with fairly good catechesis and a healthy respect for Satan and hell, and even though I was in my 20s at the time, The Exorcist scared the ever lovin' crap outta me.

Yes I Remember seekng the movie as a kid. It was unlike run of the mill horror films in that it was based in reality. It was truly frightening.

Reactions: Michie
Upvote 0