The evidence for Evolution.

FrumiousBandersnatch

Mar 20, 2009
✟326,532.00
Faith
Atheist
...God existed in an eternity...dimension(s) before He created time.
As it stands, this is logically and grammatically incoherent - can you explain how there can be any duration 'before time', let alone an eternity? and how is '...dimension(s)' intended to be related to the rest of the sentence?

Upvote 0

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Thank you, sir! :)
So, for what reason may I ask, did you not acknowledge & address the rest of my post?? :D

For convenience, ther rest of it said: I posed the question because both your positions (and thousands of other unsupported positions about gods & religion) have exactly the same support & evidence going for them. I find it perplexing that you've picked this particular religious narrative over all the ones available and profess 100% conviction in it.

• Agree
Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,533.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
I lose about as much sleep over the (in)existance of gods as I do about the (in)existance of undetectable pixies.
Well that's obviously because the latter are not messing with your runner beans! Let me tell you, that would soon change your sleep patterns and your agnosticism towards pixies.

Upvote 0

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
Does a new 2016 chevrolet suburban appear out of thin air?
Or does it go through a process of intelligent design, prototype, rigorous testing then production at the factory?

Wasn't the question concerning living things......?

Upvote 0

JonFromMinnesota

Sep 3, 2015
Minnesota
✟52,766.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Or does it go through a process of intelligent design, prototype, rigorous testing then production at the factory?

A Chevrolet suburban is not a living organism.

Upvote 0

UCDavis

Sep 24, 2015
Alameda, California
✟10,642.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Wasn't the question concerning living things......?

A Chevrolet suburban is not a living organism.

Point is, the creation of a suburban is observable. From design to finished product I can see the suburban being put together with my own eyes.
Can u point to me where evolution is happening, so that I can see it with my own eyes?

Reactions: AV1611VET
Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟275,419.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Point is, the creation of a suburban is observable. From design to finished product I can see the suburban being put together with my own eyes.
Can u point to me where evolution is happening, so that I can see it with my own eyes?

Podarcis sicula

Podarcis_sicula_medemi_Taormina.jpg

Upvote 0

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Yes. Evolution takes place in two stages: variation and selection.

Every time an individual reproduces, it reproduces with slight variations. You can observe this for yourself. You may resemble one or the other of your parents, but you are not identical to them. Taking the population as a whole, these differences will be randomly distributed. That is (taking height for an example) there will be an average height for the population, with some individuals being taller, some shorter. The variation will be randomly distributed (think "bell curve") around the average value. That is the "random" in the theory of evolution by random variation and selection. These variations are heritable. Shorter individuals will tend to have shorter offspring, taller individuals will have taller offspring, but there still will be variation, such that the offspring may be taller, shorter or the same size as the parent. These variations occur in all sorts of traits; length of limbs, points of muscle insertions, size and shape of internal organs, and so on. In a stable environment with stable selection criteria, the individuals with traits close to the average value will be most likely to survive and reproduce, being the fittest individuals with respect to that environment. The outliers will not fare so well. However, if the selection criteria begin to change there will always be those outliers to take advantage of the new conditions. They will reproduce more prolifically than the average individual, gradually producing a new population average value for the trait. An interesting example of this can be found in the discussion of tuskless elephants going on now in this forum.

Upvote 0

UCDavis

Sep 24, 2015
Alameda, California
✟10,642.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
Yes. Evolution takes place in two stages: variation and selection.

Every time an individual reproduces, it reproduces with slight variations. You can observe this for yourself. You may resemble one or the other of your parents, but you are not identical to them. Taking the population as a whole, these differences will be randomly distributed. That is (taking height for an example) there will be an average height for the population, with some individuals being taller, some shorter. The variation will be randomly distributed (think "bell curve") around the average value. That is the "random" in the theory of evolution by random variation and selection. These variations are heritable. Shorter individuals will tend to have shorter offspring, taller individuals will have taller offspring, but there still will be variation, such that the offspring may be taller, shorter or the same size as the parent. These variations occur in all sorts of traits; length of limbs, points of muscle insertions, size and shape of internal organs, and so on. In a stable environment with stable selection criteria, the individuals with traits close to the average value will be most likely to survive and reproduce, being the fittest individuals with respect to that environment. The outliers will not fare so well. However, if the selection criteria begin to change there will always be those outliers to take advantage of the new conditions. They will reproduce more prolifically than the average individual, gradually producing a new population average value for the trait. An interesting example of this can be found in the discussion of tuskless elephants going on now in this forum.
Is that tuskless elephant transitioning to another species? Or is it still elephant?
Evolution is a philosophical view point. Not science..

Upvote 0

JonFromMinnesota

Sep 3, 2015
Minnesota
✟52,766.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single

Easily, but I don't know what your understanding of evolution is. Could you describe in your own words what you think you should see that would convince you that evolution is a fact?

We could look at several lines of evidence: Comparative anatomy, embryology, DNA, fossil record. Which would you like to go over?

If you truly want to see it happen before your very eyes, see if your local community college offers a biology lab.

Upvote 0

JonFromMinnesota

Sep 3, 2015
Minnesota
✟52,766.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Single
Is that tuskless elephant transitioning to another species? Or is it still elephant?
Evolution is a philosophical view point. Not science..

It's still an elephant. Every living organism ever born was the same species as its parents. Evolution takes place in populations, not individuals. You don't seem to have a basic understanding of evolution. What questions do you have where we could clear that up?

Evolution is the foundation of all life science. It's not a philosophy. Nothing in biology makes any sense without evolution.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Speedwell

May 11, 2016
St Charles, IL
✟347,270.00
Country
United States
Faith
Other Religion
Marital Status
Married
Reactions: Armoured
Upvote 0

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
Upvote 0

Ophiolite

Recalcitrant Procrastinating Ape
Nov 12, 2008
✟240,533.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Agnostic
Marital Status
Private
Have you previously seen and read this? If not, please do so now. Either way let me know why you consider it to be irrelevant to evolution.

Upvote 0

TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private

Do cars reproduce with variation and are they engaged in a struggle for survival and reproduction, in a world where they need to compete with peers over limited resources? No?

Then cars have nothing to do with evolutionary mechanisms.

Upvote 0

TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Point is, the creation of a suburban is observable.

So is the creation of a new generation. It's called sex / breeding.

From design to finished product I can see the suburban being put together with my own eyes.

From sperm and egg to born individual.

In every newborn, in every population.

Upvote 0