The evidence for Evolution.

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
My position is that I do not believe your claim at a God exists. My position is that you have not met a sufficient burden of proof for this claim of existence. I have seen no positive evidence for such, and I continue to see plentiful evidence for the absence of any deity with the properties traditionally assigned to the Judaeo-Christian deity.

At least admitt the possibility for a diety..I'll show why it is the God of the bible later.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟274,976.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Where is it a logical contradiction? You say this rhetoric...but never say why.

It's special pleading and circular.

Essentially the argument goes:
There is nothing that started without a creator, except the creator itself. How do we know there was a uncreated creator? Because there is a creation and creation can't start without a creator.

I don't pretend to have an answer to the telological argument - I just find the 'uncreated creator'/god of necessity argument logically incomprehensible/rationally unjustified.

Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
It's special pleading and circular.

Essentially the argument goes:
There is nothing that started without a creator, except the creator itself. How do we know there was a uncreated creator? Because there is a creation and creation can't start without a creator.

I don't pretend to have an answer to the telological argument - I just find the 'uncreated creator'/god of necessity argument logically incomprehensible/rationally unjustified.
You are still dodging thie issue as to where stuff came from

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟274,976.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Then change your faith tag fro atheist to seeker.

No.

Atheist means without belief. I lack belief in God or gods. I have no belief in the Abrahimic God, nor the Norse or Greek pantheons, nor Shiva, or Vishnu, or Ahura Mazda.

Ergo, I am an atheist.

And please, don't make the claim that atheists believe there is no God/gods. That's a belief held by one small subset of atheists - known variously as anti-theists or 'hard' atheists - and is not the position I hold to.

I make no claims about existence. I'm fine with the concept that a God/gods could exist. I'm also fine with the concept that god/Gods might not. My lack of belief in the positive existence of deities is provisional, based on a lack of evidence for the claim. Much like I lack a belief as to whether there is a small, beautifully decorated teapot in orbit around Mars.

I'm also not making any knowledge claim about the existence of deities. I am, in this sense, agnostic.

So, I am both an atheist, and an agnostic. These are not mutually exclusive positions. When I was a theist, I believed that God existed, but I never took the position that I knew whether God existed or not.

Atheism answers my question concerning belief. It is a response to the claim of theists that 'There is a God/gods'. This response is: "I don't believe you, show me some evidence."
Agnosticism answers my question concerning knowledge. It is the position about my uncertainty over whether a God/gods exist. I don't know whether there is a God/gods, I don't know whether there isn't. I'm not in a position of knowledge regarding either.

Upvote 0

Gene2memE

Oct 22, 2013
✟274,976.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
You are still dodging thie issue as to where stuff came from

Not dodging. I've already admitted that I don't know, and I don't think that anyone else does either.

I'm fine with 'I don't know' until some sufficiently persuasive evidence comes along - and no, I don't consider the cosmological argument, the teleological argument, the fine tuning argument or any of the other 'how did we get here' arguments sufficiently persuasive arguments for deism, let alone the interventionist Abrahimic deity.

Reactions: tyke
Upvote 0

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
Let me repeat:
1) If the universe existed from eternity past....today would never arrive. Yet, here we are.

Then your god has the same problem, since you assert that it has existed forever.........are you sure you want to promote that argument....?

Upvote 0

USincognito

a post by Alan Smithee
Site Supporter
Dec 25, 2003
Dallas
✟870,771.00
Country
United States
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Then your god has the same problem, since you assert that it has existed forever.........are you sure you want to promote that argument....?
Again, apologetics is not appropriate for this subforum.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Let me repeat:
1) If the universe existed from eternity past....today would never arrive. Yet, here we are.
2) If the universe existed from eternity past then through entropy it would have lost all it's energy eons ago.

Again... these what if's are useless because we know that time doesn't stretch into an infinite past.

Upvote 0

TagliatelliMonster

Sep 22, 2016
Brugge
✟66,672.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
I agree...which is a major problem for you and how stuff got here.

It is not at all a problem for me, because I'm not making any claims about the origins of the universe.

I'm content being honest about the question of origins... and that honest answer is that we simply do not know.

• Agree
Reactions: Ophiolite
Upvote 0

SteveB28

May 14, 2015
✟21,415.00
Faith
Atheist
Absolutly. It just shows you don't understand the argument.

I understand it to the point that you are able to extend it....

You claim that the universe cannot have existed eternally, as it would be part of an infinite regress which means that 'now' could never arrive.

Fine. If you are going to postulate an eternally existing god, then it runs into the same problem.

Unless you are going to specially plead for an exception, of course.......

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Bugeyedcreepy

Jun 7, 2016
Canberra, Australia
✟88,248.00
Faith
Atheist
Marital Status
Private
Do you believe them?

If you don't, do you object if I don't either?
Of course not. I posed the question because both your positions (and thousands of other unsupported positions about gods & religion) have exactly the same support & evidence going for them. I find it perplexing that you've picked this particular religious narrative over all the ones available and profess 100% conviction in it.

Reactions: SteveB28
Upvote 0

Sep 5, 2015
✟70,048.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Private
I understand it to the point that you are able to extend it....

You claim that the universe cannot have existed eternally, as it would be part of an infinite regress which means that 'now' could never arrive.

Fine. If you are going to postulate an eternally existing god, then it runs into the same problem.

Unless you are going to specially plead for an exception, of course.......

No problem....God existed in an eternity...dimension(s) before He created time.

Upvote 0