The Eucharist in Eastern Orthodoxy.

RaylightI

Jun 29, 2014
✟3,622.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
I've asked this question on the OBOB, and also on the Anglican section.

I generally believe that the Eucharist is a mystery and it is better to keep that way without trying to rationalize it. I believe the mistake Western Churches made was trying to rationalize many of the mysteries of faith. Nevertheless, even myself tried to explain or understand the mystery of the Eucharist.

I believe that the bread and wine become the body and blood of our Lord when we receive the communion n faith, hence, if you have no faith, then what you receive is the bread and wine only.

What would the Eastern Orthodox Church position on such belief ?

Oct 15, 2008
Central California
✟274,079.00
Country
United States
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Others
Like I said in OBOB, your belief is receptionism, and it's opposed to the Fathers. The Orthodox view doesn't gel with yours. The Eucharist is the Eucharist. The bread and wine become the Eucharistic elements when consecrated, not when you or I start believing in them. ex opere operato

I've asked this question on the OBOB, and also on the Anglican section.

I generally believe that the Eucharist is a mystery and it is better to keep that way without trying to rationalize it. I believe the mistake Western Churches made was trying to rationalize many of the mysteries of faith. Nevertheless, even myself tried to explain or understand the mystery of the Eucharist.

I believe that the bread and wine become the body and blood of our Lord when we receive the communion n faith, hence, if you have no faith, then what you receive is the bread and wine only.

What would the Eastern Orthodox Church position on such belief ?

Upvote 0

buzuxi02

Veteran
May 14, 2006
New York
✟212,454.00
Faith
Eastern Orthodox
Marital Status
Single
In the pre-communion prayers we pray that the Eucharist is not to our condemnation due to our sinfulness and unworthiness, whether in word or deed, known or unknown, voluntary or involuntary. Thus its the medicine of immortality for the saints but a detriment to the impious.

Our tradition has also always been to commune infants and the mentally disabled people for the healing of soul and body. So intellectual capacity would not play a role

Also in many service books the priest is instructed to set aside the Communion cup if the bread and wine take on the physical properties of actual flesh and blood. If such a phenomenon manifests itself, the priest's service book explains its due to lack of faith either by the consecrating priest or those around him. He can prepare and consecrate Communion anew, but he is strictly forbidden to serve the bloody elements as this form of transmutation is only a sign to the doubters present. The authentic Eucharist is always a bloodless sacrifice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

RaylightI

Jun 29, 2014
✟3,622.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
In the pre-communion prayers we pray that the Eucharist is not to our condemnation due to our sinfulness and unworthiness, whether in word or deed, known or unknown, voluntary or involuntary. Thus its the medicine of immortality for the saints but a detriment to the impious.

Our tradition has also always been to commune infants and the mentally disabled people for the healing of soul and body. So intellectual capacity would not play a role

Also in many service books the priest is instructed to set aside the Communion cup if the bread and wine take on the physical properties of actual flesh and blood. If such a phenomenon manifests itself, the priest's service book explains its due to lack of faith either by the consecrating priest or those around him. He can prepare and consecrate Communion anew, but he is strictly forbidden to serve the bloody elements as this form of transmutation is only a sign to the doubters present. The authentic Eucharist is always a bloodless sacrifice.

Wow!! I like this one :)

Upvote 0