The Easter Egg Hunts: The Easter Bunny vs Jesus

Should churhces hold easter egg hunts

• YES

• NO

Results are only viewable after voting.

ebia

Senior Contributor
Jul 6, 2004
A very long way away. Sometimes even further.
✟54,775.00
Faith
Anglican
Marital Status
Married
Politics
AU-Greens
Jipsah said:
Sorry, but that's totally made up. Astara was a Germanic "deity", with nothing whatsoever to do with Semiramis. In any event, it appears that worship (if it could have been called such) of Astara had died out prior to Christianization. Wow, that's almost as good as my account of the Church adopting the Cthulhu Mythos. The difference I didn't really think anyone would believe the stuff I made up. We apparently are supposed to believe this claptrap. Scarier and scarier! Was the Pope there, or does he come into the story later? Of which no Babylonian ever heard Good grief.
Give him a break. Some churches have an Easter tradition of making up stories involving eggs and bunnies. Other churches have an Easter tradition of making up stories involving eggs, bunnies and pagans. His church just happens to fall in the latter category. The only real difference is they keep forgetting their stories are make-believe

Upvote 0
G

GratiaCorpusChristi

Give him a break. Some churches have an Easter tradition of making up stories involving eggs and bunnies. Other churches have an Easter tradition of making up stories involving eggs, bunnies and pagans. His church just happens to fall in the latter category. The only real difference is they keep forgetting their stories are make-believe

:thumbsup:

Upvote 0

MoreCoffee

Repentance works.
Jan 8, 2011
Near the flying spaghetti monster
✟57,848.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Private
I know many churches innocently do Easter egg hunts for the kiddies, but have they ever once thought how that has ZERO to do with Jesus.

Seriously, an egg laying rabbit full of colorful candy!!!

An Egg laying rabbit is 100% pagan and has zero to do with the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. There is nothing in the Bible or Christian tradition that links the two together, yet many churchs continue to do Easter egg hunts.

Some Churches need to do better.

God made bunnies how can you call them pagan! For shame!

praying_bunny.jpg

Bunny at prayer ;)

Upvote 0
A

annier

Believe the egg sources to explanations of the origins. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
Christians typically answer, with good reason, the chicken. Others, the egg.
Hmm where did this egg originate from? It seems the egg was on the passover seder plate, of Judaism. Where did this come from? Maybe?
250px-Pesahplate.jpg

Beitzah — A roasted hard-boiled egg, symbolizing the korban chagigah (festival sacrifice) that was offered in the Temple in Jerusalem and roasted and eaten as part of the meal on Seder night. Although both the Pesach sacrifice and the chagigah were meat offerings, the chagigah is commemorated by an egg, a symbol of mourning (as eggs are the first thing served to mourners after a funeral), evoking the idea of mourning over the destruction of the Temple and our inability to offer any kind of sacrifices in honor of the Pesach holiday. Since the destruction of the Temple, the beitzah serves as a visual reminder of the chagigah; it is not used during the formal part of the seder, but some people eat a regular hard-boiled egg dipped in saltwater as the first course of the meal.

Instead of mourning....
Our mourning is turned to JOY! The resurrection. Which came first, the egg of "mourning" on the passover plate, or the egg of "joy" at Pascha?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Member of the Round Table
Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
Annier, that is possible, but I do not think it is likely
to ask "where did the egg come from" seems to be like an odd question.
it is not like it had to come from the past...
for most of human history, the vast majority of mankind lived as farmers and fishermen.
Eggs would be ubiquitous and mysterious, life is generated inside them, they were a source of food for people who could rarely afford meat.
is it a wonder that people would use it as a symbol?
would medieval Christians need to go back to Babylon or the Jewish seder to use something as a symbol that they would see EVERY day?

Upvote 0
A

annier

Annier, that is possible, but I do not think it is likely
to ask "where did the egg come from" seems to be like an odd question.
it is not like it had to come from the past...
for most of human history, the vast majority of mankind lived as farmers and fishermen.
Eggs would be ubiquitous and mysterious, life is generated inside them, they were a source of food for people who could rarely afford meat.
is it a wonder that people would use it as a symbol?
would medieval Christians need to go back to Babylon or the Jewish seder to use something as a symbol that they would see EVERY day?
I asked of the origin in response to a post questioning that aspect. That is why the question. As for eggs used in the past on a passover plate, I think it is very possible the relevance there. Remember the first Apostles were Jew's, so.....

Upvote 0

ChetSinger

Apr 18, 2006
✟124,958.00
Faith
Protestant
Marital Status
Married
I know many churches innocently do Easter egg hunts for the kiddies, but have they ever once thought how that has ZERO to do with Jesus.

Seriously, an egg laying rabbit full of colorful candy!!!

An Egg laying rabbit is 100% pagan and has zero to do with the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus. There is nothing in the Bible or Christian tradition that links the two together, yet many churchs continue to do Easter egg hunts.

Some Churches need to do better.
I suppose you'd disapprove of our church then. We drop legions of plastic eggs filled with candy from a helicopter that swoops over our church's soccer field. Repeatedly.

And inside the church we have face-painting, music, clowns, air-filled bouncing houses, food, and more. Christ is risen, and we celebrate!

Un-churched families come from all over town to join us. Several thousand are expected this year. Last year I was a parking attendant and this year I'll be running an audio mixing board. Good times! :)

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.
Consider making a one-time or monthly donation. We appreciate your support!
- Dan Doughty and Team Christian Forums

Strong in Him

Great is thy faithfulness
Site Supporter
Mar 4, 2005
NW England
✟1,049,896.00
Country
United Kingdom
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
And we wonder why Christan is a joke to most of the world.

It's the world that has introduced chocolate eggs, bunnies and chickens made from chocolate and promoted the Easter bunny. Not the church.

The world may think the church is a joke, but it's got nothing to do with Easter bunnies.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
And we wonder why Christan is a joke to most of the world.

crazy theories about Babylon religions being of influence in cultures that never had any interaction with ancient pagan Babylon.
is that why people think of Christians as being jokes?

the Vikings and the Celts and the Saxons and the Germanic tribes never had any interaction with ancient Babylon.

Upvote 0
This site stays free and accessible to all because of donations from people like you.

Gnarwhal

☩ Broman Catholic ☩
Oct 31, 2008
N/A
✟425,727.00
Country
United States
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Married
Politics
US-Libertarian
It would be helpful I think if we didn't agree with the world on their false historical claims about the origins of some of our feast and fast days.

I agree, I just don't see that as being the motive of this thread.

Upvote 0

SAAN

Apr 26, 2013
Atlanta, GA
✟80,985.00
Faith
Christian
Marital Status
Married
crazy theories about Babylon religions being of influence in cultures that never had any interaction with ancient pagan Babylon.
is that why people think of Christians as being jokes?

the Vikings and the Celts and the Saxons and the Germanic tribes never had any interaction with ancient Babylon.

You say that yet we are doing the same pagan crap they did. WHy cnt wee do Easter without The Easter Bunny and Easter Egg hunts? Isnt the time about Jesus and Jesus only. Since Christians have replace Passover with Easter, did God ever mention Passover Eggs or The Day of Unleavened Eggs?

Upvote 0

seashale76

Unapologetic Iconodule
Dec 29, 2004
✟173,070.00
Country
United States
Faith
Melkite Catholic
Marital Status
Married
You've already been told why red dyed eggs are given out on Pascha in the Orthodox Church. It doesn't matter what kind of crazy you've culled from somewhere in your attempt to try to tell me that my own church doesn't know what it believes on this topic- but I think the Orthodox Church pretty much knows what it believes and promotes better than you. It's what is taught in our Church that counts- and nothing is matching up with the unsubstantiated claims you're spewing.

Also, regarding the Easter bunny thing. Who does this? Name a group. I've never heard tell of such anywhere. I've yet to see Easter bunny anything in an Orthodox Church, so there's one down. We don't even call it Easter anyway. It's Pascha to us- even in English speaking countries.

In Christianity- eggs on Pascha have long represented the resurrection of Christ. You can attempt to spin it any way you like, but after a point it begins to make one wonder why you're trying so hard to promote pagan beliefs and explanations (that every Christian I've ever heard of rejects) over Christian ones.

Upvote 0

Rhamiel

Nov 11, 2006
ohio
✟241,111.00
Faith
Catholic
Marital Status
Single
You say that yet we are doing the same pagan crap they did. WHy cnt wee do Easter without The Easter Bunny and Easter Egg hunts? Isnt the time about Jesus and Jesus only. Since Christians have replace Passover with Easter, did God ever mention Passover Eggs or The Day of Unleavened Eggs?

pagans hit plastic balls shaped like eggs that were filled with jelly beans and tootsie rolls?

you can do Easter without the Easter Bunny and Easter Egg hunts, I would wager many Christian families do.
but if a Christian family does want to have Easter Eggs, I am not going to judge them

Upvote 0